WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bidens great Job market is evaporating today by 10,000+ and counting

Ladsm

Reaction score
We all heard about Twitter, Meta and now The big Jungle Company that starts with "A" is gutting departments starting today.

We are all sitting back waiting for the meeting invite from HR to "Have a Chat".

Sucks, I hate being in the sit and wait to see if you get called category just before the Holidays.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We all heard about Twitter, Meta and now The big Jungle Company that starts with "A" is gutting departments starting today.

We are all sitting back waiting for the meeting invite from HR to "Have a Chat".

Sucks, I hate being in the sit and wait to see if you get called category just before the Holidays.
10K is a lot of people and never good, especially before the Holidays. In hindsight it's only 3% of Amazon's work force.

Wish you good luck!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I don't understand why Amazon and Fed Ex and the like are laying off right before the holidays? Seems like it would be right after the holidays?

RD

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I don't understand why Amazon and Fed Ex and the like are laying off right before the holidays? Seems like it would be right after the holidays?

RD
These places overhired in the last 18 months. Amazon thought Covid was the deathblow to brick and mortar and far fewer people would go back to it. By extension the logistics companies followed suit.

@Ladsm hoping for the best for you.

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
They alien from “ meta” aka “ fuckface” fired 11000 people and my stock went up 30%. Don’t for one minute think these ceos are not looking at what 30% will do for them. They don’t care about us

DWC

Reaction score
They alien from “ meta” aka “ fuckface” fired 11000 people and my stock went up 30%. Don’t for one minute think these ceos are not looking at what 30% will do for them. They don’t care about us
Every senior leader in every public company thinks the same. Their performance grants tie into the stock price.. It’s the death every Corportation. The need to leverage expense to sales. If revenue isn’t growing something has got to go. 😬😳

Singleton

Reaction score
Corporate layoffs are always 4th quarter to get that year end-bump in stocks and start off first quarter lean.

I hate it but thats how they do it.
Q2 and Q4 are usually the periods.
I try to avoid public companies with a 12/31 year-end (I want my holidays free from work).
May, July and August were the year-ends of 4 of the places I worked. Only 2 places had 12/31 year-ends and both shops had vacation policies that limited time away during that period - both had August as executive vacation month :)

I fought like hell at two places to limit RIF’s in November and December when I was younger. Bad move and I regret that fight to this day. Ended up having to give the news in January which was after team members spent money on holidays and winter vacations and now had no job to pay the CC bill. I now try to give that news in April, May or October.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I love what Musk did "NO FREE LUNCHES" He said the food workers at Twitter out numbered the people eating
Probably because all they served were grass clippings and fake meat to all those liberal purveyors of "better food for better health". Nobody likes that shit, even during the plandemic when all the shelves were empty, the fake meat and vegan sections were still well stocked.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I was talking about this with a friend today. My theory isn't rooted in stock price or greedy CEO's...still bastards, but I digress. A FedEx guy that has maintenance done down the road has 2 trucks parked. One was the spare, now so is the other. 4 months ago they loaded in 6k packages in the mornings. Lately, the morning load is hovering about 4k.
People are buying less. Maybe because it costs more, maybe because they're nervous...maybe both. Both Amazon and FedEx are basically delivery services. Not as much bought, not as much needing delivery.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

RD
Maybe they’re expecting a very slow holiday season? I’d hope companies that large are doing legit forecasts.

Singleton

Reaction score
I love what Musk did "NO FREE LUNCHES" He said the food workers at Twitter out numbered the people eating
Best move ever. He wants to trim FTE’s by attrition go forward and run the company much leaner.
Return to 40 hours in the office and no free lunch, should reduce the headcount. Plus other benefits are being reduced. Tech benefits were getting out of control IMO.

Bad part, almost all tech companies are either reducing staff or froze hiring so job movement is difficult.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

RD
Temp labor is far cheaper than union tied labor. Most of the layoffs aren't in shipping and sorting from what I've seen reported.

dribble

Reaction score

RD
They are budgeting for the upcoming fiscal year. Most companies do their layoffs in December.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Temp labor is far cheaper than union tied labor. Most of the layoffs aren't in shipping and sorting from what I've seen reported.
What union are they tied into? Amazon or Fed EX. 🤷‍♂️

Quick Google search.

Are Amazon employees unionized?
2,654 voted in favor of a union while 2,131 voted against a union. As of April 2022, the JFK8 warehouse is currently Amazon's only unionized workplace in the United States.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
What union are they tied into? Amazon or Fed EX. 🤷‍♂️

Quick Google search.

Are Amazon employees unionized?
2,654 voted in favor of a union while 2,131 voted against a union. As of April 2022, the JFK8 warehouse is currently Amazon's only unionized workplace in the United States.
It was a generalized statement. IDK nor DIGAF if they are union or not...the practice however is something that happens. Hell it was something that we even went over in business classes in college.

Andy B.

Reaction score

Thank the Democratic and Rhinos, that sucks man hopefully you're not on the chopping block.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Or do they layoff, and bring back the right sized labor force at lower pay than what they had to pay during Covid.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Or do the layoff, and bring back the right sized labor force at lower pay than what they had to pay during Covid.

It seems most of these layoffs are at the corporate level, but that is just from the articles.. who knows how accurate that is.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Or do the layoff, and bring back the right sized labor force at lower pay than what they had to pay during Covid.
Last Thursday I was notified that a Amazon store that we had already had material, plans and permits approved was scrapped. Hopefully we get our $$$ that we have already spent on this project.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The good news is they’re creating part-time jobs instead 🙄

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
my buddy has informed the time to buy property in Seattle is soon Amazon is cutting jobs big time

MK1MOD0

Reaction score

RD
My guess would be to fire full time employees with benefits. And replace with part time help in a month. These giant corporations see people as numbers...... nothing more.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Last Thursday I was notified that a Amazon store that we had already had material, plans and permits approved was scrapped. Hopefully we get our $$$ that we have already spent on this project.

Was that a personal venture, or a Union build?

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
There was no union requirement. We also did one in Huntington Beach last year.

R.c85304dc6f0d302108b24178328609e7

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Significant layoffs in big corp ... but the only villain is Elon...

Supposedly we have 3m job openings and 1m unemployed.... so the odds are good they'll find employment?

HotRod82

Reaction score
FWIW - 4 people in our circle of friends were unexpectedly laid off last week. All white collar Pharma / life sciences field.
Bankers have been telling my wife they are losing a biotech company A DAY to BK. It appears hard times are indeed coming......

just_floatin

Reaction score
Cuts are a way of life in corporate American financial markets. Keep your emergency fund funded, skill sets current with the market and resume updated because the ax always eventually drops when you least expect it.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
There was no union requirement. We also did one in Huntington Beach last year.
I only said union because I thought you work for a union shop. What I meant was, was this for a business you own, or a company you work for?

Ducksquasher

Reaction score

Hoping for the best!

rrrr

Reaction score

RD
Amazon and FedEx don't make decisions like this without significant data to justify them. It's because their internal forecasts indicate e commerce sales will continue to decline as they are now, and that by year end the economy will be tipped into recession.

They aren't the only ones predicting that, and those that are know a lot more about the economy than the RDP'ers posting in the real estate thread.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
This is why I've been saying maybe it's good Republicans didn't take the Senate too. The economic decline is going to happen either way, so let the democrats own the mess they've created instead of being able to blame the red. Maybe it'll be bad enough by the next election that people will wake up some.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
October unemployment was at 3.7. Just remember what started the current doom n gloom real estate thread was a post by PapaG about layoffs ongoing in banking and mortgage industry. I haven’t read much lately about job losses and BKs in that industry when they are getting the living shit beat out of them by the current interest rates. I’m sure they are still making big cuts. I can tell you my GF got hired recently by a small commercial loan broker to be a part time office person doing their books and doing some marketing and misc office work. She cut some big commission checks to a couple of the guys so they are surviving at least….as the meme goes buckle up and hang onto your hat. Damn it’s windy this morning your hat would blow away in this stuff

DBMX

Reaction score
Within the next few weeks we're going through a second round in just over a month (not a tech company... Large home goods corp). I think I'm going to be ok, but you never really know until its over. It sucks all this happens over the holidays.