WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Biesemeyer 4 Point Hydro Questions

ArJay

Reaction score
New to the site with regards to posting, long time watchman.
Have just stumbled in to another project boat, a 59 - 60 (?) Biesemeyer 4 Point Hydro that I think I’d like to build, perhaps as a (close counts) clone of the “Wrangler” APBA 1962 1/4 mile record holder.
I have gathered most of the scant information out there I believe and so I am hoping that RDP may be a further source of particulars. Seems most of the original folks involved in production or racing one of these hulls are no longer with us, so I’m hoping there are still photos and information with family or friends that I might access.

I’d like to throw a few ? out there to see if anyone has something, if even just an opinion.

Anyone have a guess as to how many 4 Points were built, all in ‘59 - ‘60 as near as I can see.

Anyone familiar with the “Wrangler” and it’s racing history with Jacque Pettijohn driving, Tony Bedims hull and motor builder? Photos?

Anything you have....and I mean anything......will be greatly appreciated..
Thnx

old rigger

Reaction score
This book might have some info.

91u9dEZFROL.jpg
1966_17_Biesemeyer.jpg

ArJay

Reaction score
Looks like very little info out there judging by lack of response and the number of dead ends i come upon looking for info or photos on these hulls in general, and my pursuit of any specific info on the "Wrangler" of Jacque Pettijohn who, according to Biesemeyer book (above) set the APBA 1/4 mile record in 1962 at Long Beach Marine Stadium. APBA has no records dating back to then they say, and the best I've come up with is an 'eye witness' sighting of the boat in action during the time.

Diane (Biesesmeyer) Palmer has been actively looking for other sources (Thanks Diane!) and may have some images from back during the day.......but so far it's been very slim pickin's, especially with regards to photos.

I'm thinking I might post a 'Reward' of some sort to inspire folks to drag out any 60's era drag boat photos or film stuffed away in their old albums or home movie cache somewhere!

In the meantime I'm going to go ahead and set some sort of ETA to get started on the remedial work for the hull, e.g., stringer replacement, stress crack repair, etc., as that can move forward while I'm still trying to figure out which way to go on engine set up. Hoping to get more "Wrangler" info in the interim to help me decide if I want to do some level of clone, or just rob the BBC out of my old Tahiti for it. First choice would be to do some type "Wrangler" tribute.....but not a huge deal if that doesn't gel.

Help plea continues. Thanks

ArJay

Reaction score
Found these 2 pics, Long Beach 1961...

View attachment 798790 View attachment 798791
Outstanding, can’t thank you enough.........really helps in getting a sense of how it was set up and looked.
Do you recall how the boat performed, or any other information about it?
I take it you were on the West Coast then (now?). I would have been spending most of my time about then going from drag strip to drag strip in SoCal. I lived just up the street from Fontana Raceway and it was a great time to be a kid soaking up all that drag racing and street car evolution and revolution.

old rigger

Reaction score
Outstanding, can’t thank you enough.........really helps in getting a sense of how it was set up and looked.
I take it you were on the West Coast then (now?). I would have been spending most of my time about then going from drag strip to drag strip in SoCal. I lived just up the street from Fontana Raceway and it was a great time to be a kid soaking up all that drag racing and street car evolution and revolution.

I was 5 when these pictures were taken, I did start going to the boat drags at the Stadium at an early age, but I don't know anything about The Wrangler. I would love to have the 1960 Impala towing it though.

Peterson Auto Museum has been downloading their photographs, over 750,000 so far, on this site below. I started another thread with some of the pictures I like, but they have a search window and about 50,000 pictures of boats. I found these in there.

Plus I really like early Biesemeyers. I recently spotted a childhood friend's family boat, a 1960 16 outboard that they bought in '61. Still white and black and it took everything I had not to buy it. lol

https://archive.petersen.org/pages/home.php

Last edited:

ArJay

Reaction score
Found these 2 pics, Long Beach 1961...

I was 5 when these pictures were taken, I did start going to the boat drags at the Stadium at an early age, but I don't know anything about The Wrangler. I would love to have the 1960 Impala towing it though.

Peterson Auto Museum has been downloading their photographs, over 750,000 so far, on this site below. I started another thread with some of the pictures I like, but they have a search window and about 50,000 pictures of boats. I found these in there.

Plus I really like early Biesemeyers. I recently spotted a childhood friend's family boat, a 1960 16 outboard that they bought in '61. Still white and black and it took everything I had not to buy it. lol

https://archive.petersen.org/pages/home.php
Thanks for the heads up on the Peterson site, will definitely look into that and see what more I can come up with. Thanks again.
View attachment 798790 View attachment 798791
Outstanding, can’t thank you enough.........really helps in getting a sense of how it was set up.

ArJay

Reaction score
Peterson Publishing is doing an outstanding and really important job in archiving and identifying the 10s of 100s of motorsports photos from the past....what a resource now becoming available to everyone. I urge everyone to check it out.....it truly is a trip down memory lane for anyone who looks back on the past with fondness for what might be justifiably deemed the 'golden age' of (in my case) drag racing, or other motorsports.
Pretty cool indeed.