WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Big 5th wheel Towing

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I’m shopping for a truck right now and want to get a few opinions.

Will be buying 40’ 16,000-17,000k toy hauler.

You guys that are doing it with single wheel trucks any regrets?

Guys with short beds, how big of a pain in the ass is the sliding hitch?

I have towed a Weekend Warrior slc3705 with my 2005 short bed duramax. It only had D rated tires and when the trailer was empty you could feel the rear tires squirm.
But once loaded it was fine. Stopping was decent and power was plenty.
( only did this once I borrowed the trailer )

I’m not opposed to a dually but finding one that isn’t a piece of shit for under 45k will be difficult.

ideally I’m hoping to get a f350 long bed single tire.
But we shall see.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I think it depends on how often your going to be towing it and weather the truck will be your daily driver. I as well had a 3705 and towed with a swd. Preference would be a dually but if it was also my daily driver and I only made 5-6 trips a year i would deal with the swd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This is how my buddy tows his. We do a lot of long distance towing. Oregon, Idaho, places like that.

20200103_165932.jpg

adam909

Reaction score
I have a 18 2500 mega ram. and tow a WW 3905. I went to short bed due to i was tired of long beds for normal day use. Just make sure you get the automatic slide hitch.. Manual slides work but youll have to get out of the truck to unlock and lock. These newer trucks have soft suspension in its stock format.. So youll most likely need air bags in the rear..

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I think it depends on how often your going to be towing it and weather the truck will be your daily driver. I as well had a 3705 and towed with a swd. Preference would be a dually but if it was also my daily driver and I only made 5-6 trips a year i would deal with the swd.

Not my Daily driver will tow once a month.
No problem with the single wheel?

81Sprint

Reaction score
Most of the newer trailers you don't need a slider, they have rounded caps. I towed my 2018 34' Keystone 5th wheel with my shortbed duramax and never used the slider once. I am doing the same, looking for the biggest toy hauler 5th wheel because we are going full time after i sell my house, but it is hard to find inventory right now.

Your ad here

Reaction score
16K-17K lbs. seems lite for a 40' 5th wheel. I had a 36' and it grossed at 15.5K lbs. I towed my 5th wheel with a long bed single rear wheel F350 and the pin weight was 1800 or 2200 lbs., I can't recall, it's been awhile. Anyways I felt comfortable towing it with the single rear wheel in the cooler months. I wouldn't tow it in the summer. Temperatures above 85* cooling efficiency declines and heat is hard on the tires.
Pretty much I just couldn't shake the fear of getting a blow out due to hot temperatures and loaded to the max tires. Figure a blowout would cause me to roll the whole rig or at least go for a ride into the ditch. If I had a dually I would've towed in the summer. Blow outs are violent and there was an event that got in my head. Parents got a steer axle blow out on their Country Coach in the left lane on 395. They had no control and it pulled right and they ended up in the right shoulder in a flat area. If the shoulder was sloped it would've rolled over.
Another thing is wheels can break. More common with aftermarket wheels. Brother had a wheel break on his dually but it was a steer wheel and fortunately he caught it when he wasn't towing anything. Dually will be more stable and in windy conditions will handle better. During a Santa Ana wind storm making that sweeping curve on 241N at 133 I watched the wind lift and push the rear of a dually towing a 5th wheel almost causing it to jackknife traveling forward going 40mph. I couldn't imagine what would've happened with a SRW truck.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
16K-17K lbs. seems lite for a 40' 5th wheel. I had a 36' and it grossed at 15.5K lbs. I towed my 5th wheel with a long bed single rear wheel F350 and the pin weight was 1800 or 2200 lbs., I can't recall, it's been awhile. Anyways I felt comfortable towing it with the single rear wheel in the cooler months. I wouldn't tow it in the summer. Temperatures above 85* cooling efficiency declines and heat is hard on the tires.
Pretty much I just couldn't shake the fear of getting a blow out due to hot temperatures and loaded to the max tires. Figure a blowout would cause me to roll the whole rig or at least go for a ride into the ditch. If I had a dually I would've towed in the summer. Blow outs are violent and there was an event that got in my head. Parents got a steer axle blow out on their Country Coach in the left lane on 395. They had no control and it pulled right and they ended up in the right shoulder in a flat area. If the shoulder was sloped it would've rolled over.
Another thing is wheels can break. More common with aftermarket wheels. Brother had a wheel break on his dually but it was a steer wheel and fortunately he caught it when he wasn't towing anything. Dually will be more stable and in windy conditions will handle better. During a Santa Ana wind storm making that sweeping curve on 241N at 133 I watched the wind lift and push the rear of a dually towing a 5th wheel almost causing it to jackknife traveling forward going 40mph. I couldn't imagine what would've happened with a SRW truck.
I think 16-17k is realistic. Only hauling kids quads and dirt bikes
7550781A-F4CB-4507-82E1-B91B0D627414.jpeg

Your ad here

Reaction score
I think 16-17k is realistic. Only hauling kids quads and dirt bikes View attachment 1032540
Is the 13K lb. weight a dry weight? and what is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer? Make sure the hitch is rated for the GVRW of the trailer even if you don't plan on loading it to full weight. And get your Non commercial A license, if you don't have it already. Take the behind the wheel test at the San Bernardino test location as its also the test location for commercial test and is setup for large rigs, unlike the Fullerton or Orange location.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Is the 13K lb. weight a dry weight? and what is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer? Make sure the hitch is rated for the GVRW of the trailer even if you don't plan on loading it to full weight. And get your Non commercial A license, if you don't have it already. Take the behind the wheel test at the San Bernardino test location as its also the test location for commercial test and is setup for large rigs, unlike the Fullerton or Orange location.
13,000 is empty. Most of the ones I have looked at are right around 13,700-14,000 per the door sticker.
I will be getting minimum 18k hitch.

I already have my commercial class A

81Sprint

Reaction score
When i bought my new dually i had a B&W gooseneck hitch put in, and will be getting a B&W companion hitch that will slide in the turnover ball spot. People swear by them, plus no rails in the bed. They are rated at 20k and 5k pin weight, pretty much handle all the bigger trailers. I had a Curt slider when i had my last 5th wheel and it chucked quite a bit, B&W is supposed to be much better

CLdrinker

Reaction score
When i bought my new dually i had a B&W gooseneck hitch put in, and will be getting a B&W companion hitch that will slide in the turnover ball spot. People swear by them, plus no rails in the bed. They are rated at 20k and 5k pin weight, pretty much handle all the bigger trailers. I had a Curt slider when i had my last 5th wheel and it chucked quite a bit, B&W is supposed to be much better
I saw that B&W it’s nice. Pricey too.

That Anderson aluminum jobber would be the ticket. But the horror stories scare me away.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I tow a 39’ vortex with a 17’ F-350.
You can feel the back shimmy side to side some times and noticed it more on our drive to and from Tx.

Our normal distance is within a days drive due from home do to work obligations. If I was going longer driving trips i would do a motorhome.

next truck will be a F-450 so I can get the tighter turning radius. It’s night and day difference than the other F series.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So what tires will have a 4250lb plus load rating? (17k divided by 4)

This is a tandem axle trailer too right? That's a crap ton of weight for two axles...

when they design RV’s they subtract hitch weight from the required tire and axle capacity.
I hate it but they all do it.
I believe this trailer I’m looking at has sailun tires.
And 7k axles. So they are expecting over 2k pin weight. Probably close to 3k if I fully load it it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I tow a 39’ vortex with a 17’ F-350.
You can feel the back shimmy side to side some times and noticed it more on our drive to and from Tx.

Our normal distance is within a days drive due from home do to work obligations. If I was going longer driving trips i would do a motorhome.

next truck will be a F-450 so I can get the tighter turning radius. It’s night and day difference than the other F series.
Tell me about your f350. Maybe you can get your upgrade.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
when they design RV’s they subtract hitch weight from the required tire and axle capacity.
I hate it but they all do it.
I believe this trailer I’m looking at has sailun tires.
And 7k axles. So they are expecting over 2k pin weight. Probably close to 3k if I fully load it it.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a good idea at all. :(

That kinna weight, I'd be looking for a three axle trailer for sure. Seems like you're doing a lot of good homework this time. 👍

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I saw that B&W it’s nice. Pricey too.

That Anderson aluminum jobber would be the ticket. But the horror stories scare me away.

i use it. Dont worry about it. Most of that shit happened when they were using a lesser grade of aluminum.

But….If I was buying brand new I would go with the BW. I like their products but yes, I believe they are more costly.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't sound like a good idea at all. :(

That kinna weight, I'd be looking for a three axle trailer for sure. Seems like you're doing a lot of good homework this time. 👍
Last trailer they told me it had 7k axles so I was all warm and fuzzy until I caught my kid crawling under there I looked and it said 6k.
Looked into it and everyone under does it. Fuckers.
So you are at the max on axles.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Last trailer they told me it had 7k axles so I was all warm and fuzzy until I caught my kid crawling under there I looked and it said 6k.
Looked into it and everyone under does it. Fuckers.
So you are at the max on axles.

The axles should have 8 lugs to be rated at 10k I Think.

Be better to just go with three. I've had to change a blown tire on my toy hauler ONE time. I made sure that would never happen again.

It wasn't fun, on the side of the freeway with semi's whizzing by me. I think it was well over 100 too. Was close to Baker.

F that nonsense. I was glad my fresh water was full. Needed a shower bad.

Always run way under whatever the stated capacities are. 👍

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

I have towed a Weekend Warrior slc3705 with my 2005 short bed duramax. It only had D rated tires and when the trailer was empty you could feel the rear tires squirm.

I’m not opposed to a dually but finding one that isn’t a piece of shit for under 45k will be difficult.

But we shall see.

I had a 43” Cyclone, ~18k lbs, that I pulled with my ‘07 SRW Ram CTD Long Bed. It was both a tow pig and my off-road toy.

17” wheels, 35” Toyo MTs, 4.56 gears.
Full Carli setup with triple-bypasses in the back.

Zero issues.
It towed just fine with 80psi in the tires.

But because I ran deavers, which rode amazing, I had to run 100psi in my Carli long travel airbags…way too much squat otherwise.

I’d have no issues towing again with this setup.

Last edited:

yz450mm

Reaction score
I towed the 39 foot 2 axle Voltage Triton with a 2017 long bed single rear wheel GMC 3500 diesel, it did fine but the rear end bounced and porpoised a little more than I liked. Upgraded shocks and/or airbags would have helped a lot.

I put 5000 pound airbags on the new truck before I even got the 45' Voltage, and between the three trailer axles and the bags, it tows like a dream. Zero issues at all, completely stable.

I'm running BFG all terrain ko2, 80 psi when towing with 20psi in the bags. There is definitely a lot of weight on the rear end of the truck, I'm not going to risk a blowout so I will change them out when they get to half tread or 3 years old.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
The factory ram air setup on my SRW 1ton is every bit as stable as the dually I had...ride is better as well. As long as you set it up right you shouldn't have issues.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab with Aisin and rear air, to be able to tow a decent size 5’er. But I’m not going to go over 36’ (actual length not listed length) and 16kish fully loaded (true weight), above that is Dually territory, IMO. Everyone in my circle of friends who tows a bigger 5er either wishes they had a dually, or ends up trading for one.

The SRW will pull a bigger trailer, but you are more than likely going to be over rated payload, and in a crosswindyou’re going to wish you had a dually. Pin weight on toyhaulers is usually way higher than they lead you to believe.

If I had another vehicle to DD, I would have went dually for my new rig. But since I have to DD my tow rig, I stuck with SRW and will limit the size of my 5er. If I was towing on flat land and at lower speeds, I would be more comfortable pushing the limits. But the majority of my RV trips include pulling I17 from PHX to FLG. I don’t care what a truck is rated for on paper, that last grade from Stoneman Lake to Munds Park is the true test of a trucks real towing capacity.

That being said, I see plenty of guys hauling gigantic trailers with SRW 2500’s.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I have several friends that tow 17K# 5th Wheel Trailers with their F250 and 2500 Single Rear Wheel Trucks running Air Bags and they've been doing it for years with zero problems. The Dual Rear Wheel is going to provide superior towing as having the extra rear wheels are going to allow for approx. 2X Pin Weight and a greater reduced sway with the extra tire sidewalls. My biggest concern with a SRW set-up is what happens in a SRW Truck when you get a rear tire blow out at 65 mph with your GVWR and Pin Weight Maxed Out? With my dually I know I can confidently control the vehicle to get it off the highway. I have always sided with the thought that you should always have more truck than you need, because someday your going to have an unexpected emergency and your going to wish you had more truck!

rampster

Reaction score
I've owned both a SRW and a DRW and have pulled big 5th wheels 37 and 40 ft. I had a rear blowout with my SRW and it was a serious pucker moment. I got it slowed down and to the side of the road OK but incurred over $5k in damage to the truck with a new bedside, exhaust etc. Will a SRW do it, most definitely yes and I have probably over 50k miles doing just that, does having a DRW make me feel more comfortable doing it, yes. How much is that worth? Its up to you.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
For those that had blowouts, what caused the blow out?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Good question. I don’t keep tires very long.
Same. My tow vehicle sees unloaded trips during the summer. I usually wear out tires in 2-3 years tops. So curious what is causing a blow out other than old tires

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Tire age in my case, mostly...

Was heading to St Anthony's, up Baker grade in the middle of summer. Trailer was loaded to the gills and it was well over 100 that day.

We all hit the scales on the start of that trip, and I was at 19.6k. 20k is the max on my set up.

I switched from 15's, to 16's after that trip, and E rated Michelin LT 10 ply tires.

Haven't had an issue since.

Your ad here

Reaction score
On the toy hauler I just couldn't find good tires for 15" wheels. I was getting maybe 5K miles max out of tires. Triple axle trailer with a 15,500 gvwr.
Never got a blow out on the srw truck but there are many factors that can cause a blow out. Loaded the tire is close to max capacity and heat doesn't help at all. A blow out can be a result of hitting road debri, having a puncture that isn't noticed, shitty roads, or a defective tire. One trip in October I almost ended up towing the 5th wheel home from the river... I ended up taking the boat. When I got to Palm Springs the belts in the piece of shit Nitto Dura Grappler tire broke and it looked like an egg. Glad I ended up with the boat. FWIW, out of probaby 20 Nitto tires I've had on my trucks 10 of those tires broke belts around 40% tread life.
With a dually you have 4 rear tires to support the load instead of 2.

Riverhound

Reaction score

But we shall see.

My 2011 F350 4x4 CC SRW SB only has a max tow rating of 15,700. Weight ratings on SRW trucks is a bigger issue than if will tow it.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I tow a “big” toy hauler. 44’ and weighs in around 20k loaded.

I tow with two different vehicles and can tell you there are scenarios where my 3500 drw feels small. Both are very capable but I have never heard someone complain that there two vehicle was oversized. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

For quick local trips I will generally tow with my duramax.
B9D93E27-1B04-4ABD-83CF-080EC906D6BD.jpeg

For longer trips or of the weather and roads maybe aren’t the most favorable I bring out the big gun.
ADE399C1-F922-449F-AD11-54C4D53C09BB.jpeg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Most of the newer trailers you don't need a slider, they have rounded caps. I towed my 2018 34' Keystone 5th wheel with my shortbed duramax and never used the slider once. I am doing the same, looking for the biggest toy hauler 5th wheel because we are going full time after i sell my house, but it is hard to find inventory right now.

Yup. Dont even bother with the weight, complexity, chucking possibility, etc of a slider with a new trailer. Not worth it unless you HAVE to go passed 90 to get the trailer into storage. Even then its only seldom needed.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I tow a “big” toy hauler. 44’ and weighs in around 20k loaded.

I tow with two different vehicles and can tell you there are scenarios where my 3500 drw feels small. Both are very capable but I have never heard someone complain that there two vehicle was oversized. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

For quick local trips I will generally tow with my duramax.
View attachment 1033656

For longer trips or of the weather and roads maybe aren’t the most favorable I bring out the big gun.
View attachment 1033659

Towing done right. 👍👍

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Flying_Lavey im getting a slider installed tomorrow, the b&w i wanted is 6 months out i was told. also pick up my new trailer tomorrow.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
@Flying_Lavey im getting a slider installed tomorrow, the b&w i wanted is 6 months out i was told. also pick up my new trailer tomorrow.
My dad had a slider for about 15 years through his various CCSB GM's. He had used it maybe 4 times and it really only helped once.

I'd strongly suggest a Reese goosebox and a gooseneck ball in the truck bed. But if that's what you're more comfortable with, go for it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Flying_Lavey i wanted the b&w but they told me 6 months out to get it. So I’m gettin the demo auto slider. If I don’t like it I’ll sell it and get a b&w before I sell it.

@bldrinker im gettin a grand designs 303rls. I have a 12 gmc 2500 crew cab 6.5 ft bed duramax to pull it. Other truck is a 18 Silverado 1500.
I have 2 trucks so no need for a toy hauler rather have nicer inside and more room. Toy can be pulled by chase truck.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Update the Demco is fuckin sick!!!!!!!!! I love it! Didn’t chatter like people say or pop. Maybe the old ones did. But it was so nice to not have to worry about the trailer!! The shop is going to have to lift the pin box a little. But it was awesome.

Attachments

• 9597D43A-1E7B-46FC-8D7E-A52454C70800.jpeg
    9597D43A-1E7B-46FC-8D7E-A52454C70800.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 89

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Update the Demco is fuckin sick!!!!!!!!! I love it! Didn’t chatter like people say or pop. Maybe the old ones did. But it was so nice to not have to worry about the trailer!! The shop is going to have to lift the pin box a little. But it was awesome.
Pics and model of the Demco?

Get415

Reaction score
Not to sound like tow police but just a little info before you get something and find out after the fact.. These trucks are all capable but whatever truck you look at, make sure you understand the GVWR, and all that nonsense. You'd be surprised how quick the truck itself is overloaded just with pin weight, passengers and some crap in the bed. Overall weight (truck&trailer) your good, but the truck itself is over. Seems CHP has been grabbing more people for this. And if you planned on doing the DMV test for the endorsement they are all over the numbers of your test rig and wont let you proceed.
As for the hitch, slider is good to have just in case but i've never used mine.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Not to sound like tow police but just a little info before you get something and find out after the fact.. These trucks are all capable but whatever truck you look at, make sure you understand the GVWR, and all that nonsense. You'd be surprised how quick the truck itself is overloaded just with pin weight, passengers and some crap in the bed. Overall weight (truck&trailer) your good, but the truck itself is over. Seems CHP has been grabbing more people for this. And if you planned on doing the DMV test for the endorsement they are all over the numbers of your test rig and wont let you proceed.
The RV endorsement is just a written test though?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have a sale pending on a f250. I am looking at a smaller 5th wheel now. It should be 16k maxed out.
so I will be over cargo capacity on the truck. Should be under rear axle. But very close.
I will check the tires.
Towing capacity is less than the truck I just sold. Which has to do with the extra weight of the diesel vs gas. But we all know the diesel will run circles around the gas.