WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Big Bear Gold Mountain

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Some buddies and I did a weekend trip to Big Bear this past weekend. It was for my buddies' birthday and we all stayed at the Golden Bear Cottages. The mountain had been closed due to the fires and luckily it opened up on Friday allowing us to do some trailing over the weekend. I have a 2013 Jeep JKU that I had mostly done cosmetic things to as my daughter used if for school. The jeep served me well as we mostly hit Ocotillo with the occasional trip to the mountains. A couple of months ago I decided to put a little money into it and upgrade so that I could venture safely into some rock crawling. I had Riverside's Rock Bottom Off-Road do all the work and I highly recommend the work they do there. I upgraded the axles, put lockers, drive shafts, went to 37's, and fenders so the new tires wouldn't rub. It was a little tough spending the money, but I knew that if I went crawling I wanted to have a capable rig. I already had a Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5 inch lift on it that the guys at the shop said was good for what I wanted to do. This weekend was the first time I had it out and to say the least I was a little nervous. There were a few first timers in our group, some without lockers, but we also had some capable wheelers that had done the trail before. We only did Gold Mountain as our friends said it was a good first time rock crawling trail. Everyone made it through and we had a blast. It was very confident boosting for me after spending the money knowing I went through the trail pretty easily. I am looking forward to many more trips. I am already saving for next years upgrade.
Jeep from above.jpg
Girls.jpg
Jeep rock.jpg
Mel and Jeep.jpg
Blzr.jpg
Jeep tree 2.jpg
Rik N Mel.jpg
Jeep Jim and I.jpg
Hammock.jpg
Jeep Dilly Flag.jpg
grades 😁

Dana757

Reaction score
How was the new gate keeper?? And did you check in and get your Jeep Badge of Honor for the trail?

Beerme

Reaction score
How was the new gate keeper?? And did you check in and get your Jeep Badge of Honor for the trail?
Lol! I remember someone saying gate keeper, but i'm not sure if we did it. I'll have to ask. and yes!!! someone did remind me to download the app and check in on the trail so i did.

Dana757

Reaction score
Now I know, yes we did. I did not have any problems 😁 Looks like you sailed right up😁

No that's not it. It was not there when I did it. It's basically a big rock pile right at the beginning of the trail that was recently added.
Now that you have that badge you'll need to get John Bull and Holcomb to complete the Big Bear area badges.

DLC

Reaction score
That looks like a great time...

I haven’t gone wheeling in a while! BB is a blast

Beerme

Reaction score
No that's not it. It was not there when I did it. It's basically a big rock pile right at the beginning of the trail that was recently added.
Now that you have that badge you'll need to get John Bull and Holcomb to complete the Big Bear area badges.
Thats what I hear. I am definitely looking to doing some more up there in the near future.

Beerme

Reaction score
I did see that rock trail now that you mention it. Looked out of place to me and definitely man made.

Dana757

Reaction score
I did see that rock trail now that you mention it. Looked out of place to me and definitely man made.
The route almost was closed down because people in less capable rigs were going off trail around the upper obstacles. They bock off the go arounds and people would just open them back up. So their answer was to install a rock garden right at the start. GM has always been rated most difficult so if you can't get past the gate keeper you shouldn't be on it. The local 4x4 club that maintains it worked with the forest service on that.

Beerme

Reaction score
The route almost was closed down because people in less capable rigs were going off trail around the upper obstacles. They bock off the go arounds and people would just open them back up. So their answer was to install a rock garden right at the start. GM has always been rated most difficult so if you can't get past the gate keeper you shouldn't be on it. The local 4x4 club that maintains it worked with the forest service on that.
That is a great idea and makes sense. Like I said i've never been on the harder trails up in Big Bear but i've met guys a few times at the mill Creek Visitor Center. We then took Warm Springs trail back into seven oaks and around there and it amazed me at the two wheel drive cars that were making there way up those trails.