WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Big block Chevrolet leaking oil. Help!!!

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
It's puking profusely from the oil filter. Any ideas? I'm getting tired of buying oil at $40.00 a jug figuring it out
KIMG1880.jpg

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Wonder if you have the oil cooler coked up from a hot spot somewhere else inside.

If it's puking at the filter then the gasket is failing from the overpressure, which means you're starving it for oil in the mains.

BBC_Oiling_zps83f2d446.jpg

HST4ME

Reaction score
This brings back memories of old outboard church......NAPA should be able to help you :)

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Could someone have damaged the threads holding the oil filter on? Bypass spring, what motor and filter?? Jesus throw us a bone to help you

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Brand new oil pump. Checked out the extra ring issue. No dice. Thought I didn't oil the ring enough last time and when I pulled the last filter off the rubber fell off independent of the filter. So I sopped up the expensive oil and and ordered more as well as a new filter. Same thing happened today ... Ran for 15 seconds total. Started at 60 psi and dropped to 20 then 10. Shut engine off and have at least one 4 quarts in the hull and the only thing soping wet with oil is the filter.

92 cole

Reaction score
Brand new oil pump. Checked out the extra ring issue. No dice. Thought I didn't oil the ring enough last time and when I pulled the last filter off the rubber fell off independent of the filter. So I sopped up the expensive oil and and ordered more as well as a new filter. Same thing happened today ... Ran for 15 seconds total. Started at 60 psi and dropped to 20 then 10. Shut engine off and have at least one 4 quarts in the hull and the only thing soping wet with oil is the filter.
#1 what filter are you running and #2 have you checked the bypass that the filter screws to ? #3 is it clocked correctly ? The bypass can bolt up 180* off and blow oil as you are stating?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
You sure it’s not coming from the oil pressure port directly above that filter? That will piss all your oil put in a hurry, and it will run down the filter and appear like the filter is leaking. Just a thought, check it out

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Have you changed anything recently? Has it ever ran without this issue?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
You sure it’s not coming from the oil pressure port directly above that filter? That will piss all your oil put in a hurry, and it will run down the filter and appear like the filter is leaking. Just a thought, check it out
I'll definitely check that out when my buddy gets here in the morning with his camera. Thanks for the insight!!!

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Have you changed anything recently? Has it ever ran without this issue?
Changed the pan and the pump as well as the pick up. Changed the pump because the old pick up wouldn't break loose..

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
New pump is a high volume. Not sure what the last one was. Should I tighten the filter more than normal?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Sorry for the late responses. It's hard to answer the questions and responses with oil and grease on my hands

buck35

Reaction score
Could the lines and cooler now be a restriction, with the increase in pressure /flow?

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
where do the oil lines connect to the block? to a adapter?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Everything is dry except the filter. It's like the oil is blowing by the gasket. There is 60 psi. Then zero.

waterhorse

Reaction score
Try the easy stuff first, replace the filter and while doing so look for irregularities in the old filter, gasket and sealing surface of the block.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Try the easy stuff first, replace the filter and while doing so look for irregularities in the old filter, gasket and sealing surface of the block.
Exactly what we are looking for buddy! Thanks for the advice all of you! Still going to try the camera out tomorrow morning and see if there are any other irregularities. I'm almost tempted to get my dirty filter from the garbage and give it a shot since it didn't leak.

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
make sure the oil filter bypass adapter is not cracked, also some oil filters are different than others so make sure that the heads of the two bolts for the adapter are not keeping the filter from being fully tight I had that problem just a couple of weeks ago, buy a Wix filter

Hullbilly

Reaction score
Am I understanding this correct, OP has not bought a new filter yet? just taken it on and off a few times....

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
You said you had the pan off, is the new pan gasket or silicone pushed out under the filter gasket?
It’s sort of a close fit right there.

leeco2

Reaction score
New filter is the problem,the old filter's gasket od is larger use that part number, friend just had same issue

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
New filter is the problem,the old filter's gasket od is larger use that part number, friend just had same issue
how did that get messed up it takes the same filter that has been used for over 50 years?...must have been a super salesman at Napa

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
Ya it goes something like this "What Year, make and model is it" ?????? Damn It! just give me a oil filter for a 1957 Chevy with a 283 SB engine in it

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Filter numbers are as follows all new by the way... Wix 51061R before the pan change and pump upgrade (no leaks from filter. running 40-50 psi). Last week went to Wix 51060R because 61R has been discontinued and it leaked. Friday I tried 51061 (non race) also leaked. this morning a couple of buddies came over, used a camera, and found a little roughness at the block. we cleaned it up with 0000 steel wool and tried a 51061 again felt like it had a good seat, pulled the distributor, and used a drill to build pressure. Pressure built to 60psi and blew the seal on the filter two extra sets of eyes confirmed this.
We looked up several other filters by size for a 454 mark 4 and thought we found a solution with a slightly larger diameter outer ring but it didn't pan out because the gasket was actually smaller.

All the filters tried had the same issue, even retried the dirty 51061R with the same shitty results. the mounting surface on the mark 4 block is larger i diameter than the filter gasket. and the gasket is seating with less than half of it's thickness and spitting the gasket out the side wherever it damn well pleases.

My thought is, as of now and sobered up after the mornings trials and fails... I'm looking for a bolt on (not spin on) remote oil filter kit and completely remove the current problem. Pleas let me know of your thoughts and concerns.

I apologize to many of you that thought I had an oil cooler and remote filter already. most of you guys used to know about my Cougar 21 MTR V-drive and it's limited interior space.

P.S. yes, I tried a different prop and loved it so much, I fuckin' kept it!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
There is something else wrong after your pump change.

It sounds like every filter you put on pressures out the gasket?
Including the old one that used to work?
I think you have another issue.
Just my 2 cents.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Is the oil filter adapter, the threaded piece that the oil filter screws on to seated completely in the block? We did some dumb shit with big block lumps running in excess of 100 psi oil pressure with zero bypass and never had them push past the filter gasket.

4Waters

Reaction score
What is the manufacturer and part number of the new oil pump.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It would be hard to build enough pressure with a drill to blow an oil filter. Unless your drill is one bad mofo! If your oil pressure gauge is accurate, obviously 60psi isn’t enough to blow a properly sealing oil filter.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Do you an OE type bypass filter adapter with the fiberglass disc/spring or one of the billet bullshits with no bypass?

Gen 4 BBC, go get yourself a PF1218 delco filter ... oil the gasket and get her as tight as you can by hand....no tools. Make sure the old gasket comes off.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Is the oil filter adapter, the threaded piece that the oil filter screws on to seated completely in the block? We did some dumb shit with big block lumps running in excess of 100 psi oil pressure with zero bypass and never had them push past the filter gasket.
Yes we checked it. we even pulled it and found the filters were bottoming out on the bolts and the adapter. there were grooves on the inside of the filters. fuckin weird! Ill take a pick with the cell phone and upload in a few. I also thought about the blow off valve. the drill was having a hard time keeping the shaft spinning at 60 psi if that means anything?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
KIMG1881.jpg
KIMG1881.jpg
KIMG1882.jpg

Still has threads to go and bottomed out on the adapter, groove on the filter that is hard to see where the adapter was hitting the inside edge of the filter mounted on the boat.

HST4ME

Reaction score
If your running the proper oil say vr40 cold with a cheap parts store primer shaft on a drill is going to slip. Savvy engine builders realize there is a tremendous amount of strain on the cam/distributor gears and as much timing chain and will bitch properly about oil operating temp.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Oil is Lucas 20/50 high zinc (flat tappet cam) It's definitely not cheap

HST4ME

Reaction score
That's not the proper filter, me thinks.. being your not running a cooler adapter you should be running like a fram hp 4, ? style with a flat adapter plate....it's been a foggy bit, but he fasteners holding the adapter to the block should be a torx or allen head...

pf454_v2.jpg