WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Big Bore 2Stroke. Nothin like it

Kbach

Reaction score
Still weird not seeing him on a red bike

I hear ya! I work at Honda and got to work with MC over the years and even after all of these years it's still weird to see him on anything but a red bike. That being said...it was a stupid business decision made by somebody in upper management and now he's no longer a Honda "spokesperson" for lack of a better term. Basically somebody didn't see the value in having him back the brand. Stupid upper management douchebag bean counters. Ok...rant off!!

More importantly, that bike rips and it's always rad to hear a 500cc pinned no matter what brand. If you haven't seen Danny Hamel videos of him in the desert you're doing yourself a disservice! Google that shit!!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We have a few friends that work the Mammoth race every year. They said it was really weird and borderline scary to hear that 500 wrung all the way out ALL the way around the track knowing how crazy fast and powerful those things are.

Based on the videos and how many posts he's made about it, I think The King REALLY enjoys his new old toy.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

W.O.T

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time as a kid riding my dads CR500 at the dunes. I had a YZ80 but could ride his 500 as long as I could stop and put my foot down on a rock or milk crate.

He desert raced it and had the suspension reworked. I would race that thing at the hill and the drags and smoke everyone.
I was about 13 at the time.

Starting to see less and less ppl that are even familiar with two strokes how crazy is that. I hated 4 strokes but now I’m on one still want a nice 500 or 250R 3 wheeler.

W.O.T

Reaction score
9538BB59-336A-4A0B-B3DB-C35453371EFD.jpeg

Here’s a pic of my dad racing D38 on the CR500 I was talking about. I remember him saying how much faster the KX500 was but he was a Honda guy said they were faster in the whoops.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time as a kid riding my dads CR500 at the dunes. I had a YZ80 but could ride his 500 as long as I could stop and put my foot down on a rock or milk crate.

He desert raced it and had the suspension reworked. I would race that thing at the hill and the drags and smoke everyone.
I was about 13 at the time.

Starting to see less and less ppl that are even familiar with two strokes how crazy is that. I hated 4 strokes but now I’m on one still want a nice 500 or 250R 3 wheeler.
It was awesome when I lines up at the sand drags with my KX500 a few years ago. I lines up with a group of 450's. The one on the end was straight laughing at me cause they obviously had NO idea what the bike was. I SMOKED them and sent them home. Racing up olds was fun too. When the 450's were down shifting after their running start, I was passing them and up shifting.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

SoCalDave

Reaction score
While my 650 Husaberg is fun, I can't wait to finish the restoration of my '83 490 Maico. The 'berg has a "refined" feel but the Maico was just brutal in everything it did.
We'd like to see some pics of that Maico...

HBCraig

Reaction score
While my 650 Husaberg is fun, I can't wait to finish the restoration of my '83 490 Maico. The 'berg has a "refined" feel but the Maico was just brutal in everything it did.
The Maico.... is it a sand spider?

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
The Maico.... is it a sand spider?

I wish, mine was the basic 4 speed Spider. Stock except for the tank, bars, and the Wheelsmith pipe and "silencer". I thought about cannibalizing my wife's '83 250 for the 5 speed gearbox but I'm sure she'd suggest otherwise. Actually the four speed box was more than enough for anything I chose to try.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Subscribed. You going to keep it “original “ or going modern? I’m looking for another 2 stroke to restore as well.
Definitely going to keep it as original as I can. Getting parts can be an issue but there’s always something to be had on eBay.

First order of business though is to go through the motor. It sounds a little gritty when kicking it over :confused: Should be a cool project.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'll take one KTM 300, to go please...

I Still have my freakin Blaster!!!

manxman

Reaction score
I hear ya! I work at Honda and got to work with MC over the years and even after all of these years it's still weird to see him on anything but a red bike. That being said...it was a stupid business decision made by somebody in upper management and now he's no longer a Honda "spokesperson" for lack of a better term. Basically somebody didn't see the value in having him back the brand. Stupid upper management douchebag bean counters. Ok...rant off!!

More importantly, that bike rips and it's always rad to hear a 500cc pinned no matter what brand. If you haven't seen Danny Hamel videos of him in the desert you're doing yourself a disservice! Google that shit!!

Danny was a great guy!! Used to go to the river with family friends. He was such a humble dude. I didn't know who he was till later and then realized what legend he was!

sintax

Reaction score
I've been itching to dig my KX500 out of the garage. My dads buddy was over looking at it last weekend and trying to talk me into getting it fired up.

sintax

Reaction score

Danny was a king among men. That dude was just a beast down in Baja and in the dez. Larry, and Destry as team mates? I could only imagine what the Baja scene would have been like if Danny did not pass. Maybe Kawasaki would have had something to show Team Honda if they didnt pull out.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Just picked this beast up (‘85 CR500) from 28Eliminator. It’s going to need a lot of work but will be a fun resto project :cool:

View attachment 815860 View attachment 815859

I’ve had a number of CR 500’s over the years. Absolute blast to ride. I raced an 85 in the STARS supermoto series.and owned mid 90’s bikes as well. Tons of fun. The hardest parts of the early CR 500’s to find, are the transmission parts. So make sure they are perfect when ya tear her down. Wouldn’t want to damage anything else due to wear. Most other parts are readily available thru aftermarket vendors.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I’m restoring a 1984 Husky WR500 right now. Last of the air cooled 500’s from Husky. With the wide ratio 6 speed, she runs well over 100 with dirt gearing. The motor is freshly rebuilt from the premier Vintage Husky guru in the US. Parts are ready to be sent out for powder coat and anodizing. I think I’m going to go with the 83 aluminum tank for a real retro look. Can’t wait to finish her up

oldschool

Reaction score
I’m restoring a 1984 Husky WR500 right now. Last of the air cooled 500’s from Husky. With the wide ratio 6 speed, she runs well over 100 with dirt gearing. The motor is freshly rebuilt from the premier Vintage Husky guru in the US. Parts are ready to be sent out for powder coat and anodizing. I think I’m going to go with the 83 aluminum tank for a real retro look. Can’t wait to finish her up
Nice! I bought a 82 Husky CR250 back in the late 80’s and got the guy gave me a beater Husky CR500 with it. It was in pieces and beat to shit, I ended up giving it to a roommate .

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
My WR is basically the CR with a wide ratio trans. Pretty neat bike. Was the last of the dual rear shock model as well. Not as quick as a Honda CR 500, but not far off. And has really cool old school styling

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Day 1 and she’s completely stripped down. First order of business is to pull apart the entire motor and inspect the internals. Something is sounding gritty in there. I’ve never pulled a trans so it should be interesting....but I’ve watched a YouTube video or two so I’m basically an expert. :cool:

My kid is already practicing his wheelie technique.

3A5BB184-3A1E-4320-9353-A6049A377CCB.jpeg
C3FC64BB-FCA2-457D-857C-5CBF19D84BF4.jpeg
06D5D52A-A6FB-4D7A-8FED-493C9D0E0983.jpeg

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
back in the day, I raced Open (slow, slow) Pro (late 70,s), my Ride 76 Husky 390cr...
my bike had cobwebs in early 90's...
my Bro-in Law (ex Bus Partner) bought a new 92 Husky 350 thumper.... (he raced 125 Pro same era)
he BEGGED me to dust it off and go riding... two c-notes later, plugs, oil, air filter, tires, tubes...
were in mirage.. fun day of kicking bush... we end up on dry lake.... he wants to drag.... I laugh, sure... these new bikes gotta have something.....
off we go... tapped out... probably running 70 max.... he starts to pull me... I'm thinking F... humm, I wonder what gear I'm end, click, front end gets light..I push her back down... around 90ish... I shut her down.... the pussy was back at camp....
I forgot she was a 6 shooter.... 1st time ever in the desert with her...LOL

my gear, Jean's, High point, long sleeve, Gray Bell w/duct tape visor, Jofa mouth guard, Scott's (foam stuck to my face) did have my old leather JT gloves with my name on it...

that ride got my juices following..... back into MX 2 years later.. with the Gang

GOOD TIMES!!

77charger

Reaction score
Day 1 and she’s completely stripped down. First order of business is to pull apart the entire motor and inspect the internals. Something is sounding gritty in there. I’ve never pulled a trans so it should be interesting....but I’ve watched a YouTube video or two so I’m basically an expert. :cool:

My kid is already practicing his wheelie technique.

View attachment 816046 View attachment 816047 View attachment 816048
I redid my complete engine 3-4 years ago wasn't too hard to assemble or tear down. I found a step by step instructions online about tear down had pics and all. I had to buy a flywheel puller and used a steering wheel puller to separate the case.