WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Big Day For The Monkey Farm!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Monkey Girl, my daughter Sierra, pulled the lever, and signed her name...

Brief history: Just about a year ago, an inmate posted about a family member getting an appointment to West Point. In passing, I told my daughter. She looked up everything she could, and a few months later says, "I want to try to get into West Point"...well shit howdy. She trained, got letters of recommendation and even her nomination from Gossar's office...impressive stuff to me. She did it on her own. Well, a few weeks ago she found out she did not receive an appointment. She was not bothered, she had applied and been accepted to NAU, ASU, UofA and Embry-Riddle here in town.

She had decided she may try again fot West Point next year...until this happened.

She went in to see the AFROTC people at Riddle. They said she may have a good chance at scholarship opportunities through them. About this time, she was awarded a Presidential Scholarship to Riddle. Not a full ride, but made it attainable.

Last week, the Air Force offered her a Tier 1 scholarship, books, tuition and...stuff. She also can use the other towards room and board.

My girl will be "going away to school"...only a half hour away, but will get the full college experience I guess.

She'll be working on a degree in aeronautical engineering, and then into the Air Force as an officer.

I don't post pics of my kids much, if at all...but she isn't really a kid anymore. Yes, I'm proud...
Resized_20210405_170117.jpg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Congrats to you, your family and of course your daughter.

you guys have done well. Exciting time for you all.

DWC

Reaction score
Congrats to the entire family. That’s awesome news.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Proud as you should be! Good job Mom and Dad! Parents lay the ground work, but it's up to the kids to chose the right path.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Credit where credit is due: Big congratulations to parents and daughter. I wish more youth would go this route instead of to the brainwashing nonsense side of universities. Thank you for raising a leader who will go far for our country, and herself.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Wow. Congratulations.
Good things happen to good people.
Just think of all the weird constants and equations she's going to be learning from here on out. You'll be talking about the tensile stress of metals and airfoil dimpling to reduce drag and boundary layers and all that airflow and PV=NRT and Reynold's number stuff. Maybe consider if you two might put together a kitplane as part of the immersion learning.
subsonex-jet-paul-dye.jpg

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
WOW!! That's huge! Congratulations to your daughter and Congratulations and good job Mr. and Mrs. Monkeyswrench 👍👍

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Good for her. 👍
Son did eleven years in the AF and got his bachelor's degree on their dime and saw the world.
Now he is an successful attorney. Grand daughter is working to get into their Space Force Section in the future.
Best of wishes and congratulations to the Monkey family.:)

RichL

Reaction score
Big WOW! Congrats to your Daughter and Congrats to Mom and Dad. You have every reason to be proud.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Seems like a rare species of monkey theses days. Congrats to her and your family. You can see the excitement on her face.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Good job Mom and Dad!!! Congrats to your daughter and the direction that she is going in.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Congrats, nice to hear this type of story. You and your wife must be proud and deservedly so.👍

PaPaG

Reaction score
Congrats, something to be very proud of as I am sure you guys really are.....great job...

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Congrats! I received my Masters and Bachelors at Embry Riddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Oh I bet the Monkey cage is all a flutter. That is perfectly awesome, there is nothing much more gratifying than seeing our kids on the right track and doing well. You should be very proud of her and her accomplishments. While giving her credit for her accomplishments there is no doubt that Mr. and Mrs. Monkey had a significant role in shaping her young mind and instilling in her the values that she possesses. 👍

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Wow, what a great announcement from a proud Dad and his little girl. You've done well.

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Good buddy's son just graduated from there. He loved it and has currently started to fly 😁

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I can't take any credit for her accomplishments, and surely not for her smarts. My parents did their best with me, and I was still a dumbass for a long time.

She is a driven young lady...and maybe a bit stubborn. She will now be surrounded by others, both academically and in AFROTC, that have that same drive. I think this will help her to accel with her chosen course.

I had no clue as to what a big deal certain things were. For one, it turns out ERAU is one of the top aeronautical engineering schools in the States. I would have figured CalTech, or even USC, if nothing else, just based on their proximity to JPL, or the fact they were around when aerospace was the SoCal economy. I also did not realize that this type of scholarship is pretty rare as well. Both the Captain and the Wing Commander stated that most times a scholarship is awarded, it is only after a candidate's first or second year is completed. At that point, they will pick up the tab moving forward.

My daughter hasn't decided if she wants to try to be a pilot. She knows she can learn there at the school, but knows the "big guns" are only flown by the .01% of American badass. Now, she has a cousin that graduated the Air Force Academy, and has currently worked through training on several aircraft. Competitive and stubborn...I think I know the answer, but will wait and see if Monkeys fly.

20hrs after the fact, and still on cloud 9!