WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Big Day For The Monkey Farm!

HBCraig

Reaction score
Monkey Girl, my daughter Sierra, pulled the lever, and signed her name...

Brief history: Just about a year ago, an inmate posted about a family member getting an appointment to West Point. In passing, I told my daughter. She looked up everything she could, and a few months later says, "I want to try to get into West Point"...well shit howdy. She trained, got letters of recommendation and even her nomination from Gossar's office...impressive stuff to me. She did it on her own. Well, a few weeks ago she found out she did not receive an appointment. She was not bothered, she had applied and been accepted to NAU, ASU, UofA and Embry-Riddle here in town.

She had decided she may try again fot West Point next year...until this happened.

She went in to see the AFROTC people at Riddle. They said she may have a good chance at scholarship opportunities through them. About this time, she was awarded a Presidential Scholarship to Riddle. Not a full ride, but made it attainable.

Last week, the Air Force offered her a Tier 1 scholarship, books, tuition and...stuff. She also can use the other towards room and board.

My girl will be "going away to school"...only a half hour away, but will get the full college experience I guess.

She'll be working on a degree in aeronautical engineering, and then into the Air Force as an officer.

I don't post pics of my kids much, if at all...but she isn't really a kid anymore. Yes, I'm proud... View attachment 989490
Fantastic school. I sent one of my players there on a softball scholarship.

Your daughter must be super smart.

Congrats. That's awesome.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Fantastic school. I sent one of my players there on a softball scholarship.

Your daughter must be super smart.

Congrats. That's awesome.
I'm her dad, so my vision is clouded...I think she's smart. Mostly, my point of view is because I know she's smarter than me. I haven't been able to help her with math since maybe 8th grade? Other people think she's smart though, and that's what really matters in this case. She has a mind for numbers, and I think some of the numbers don't exist...far beyond my level of comprehension.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Shit how did I miss this yesterday!!

Congratulations! I can't imagine how proud you are atm, fucking awesome job MW!

Tell Sierra about all the love sent by her extended family here at RDP! Proof right there, she's the hope of all of us for the next generation!

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
I can't take any credit for her accomplishments, and surely not for her smarts. My parents did their best with me, and I was still a dumbass for a long time.
Congratulations Mr and Mrs MW. Don't sell yourself short. It's us parents that provide a loving stable relationship for our families and straighten them out ever so slightly once in awhile that allows them to be themselves and flourish. If more of the country was like you we'd be a lot better off. That's a great start to adulting for your daughter. Treasure both your accomplishments.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wow!!! That is awesome!!

so she does four years of school then four years in the air force?
Four years at the school, but then it depends on her choices. It depends on the field she goes into. It will be a minimum four in the USAF. If she cooses to try for the flight program, it will be longer. They don't want to train you, and not utilize their finished product. There are lots of things though, inteligence, design, research...probably things we have never heard of too. This is a first step, just a giant one.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Monkey Girl, my daughter Sierra, pulled the lever, and signed her name...

Brief history: Just about a year ago, an inmate posted about a family member getting an appointment to West Point. In passing, I told my daughter. She looked up everything she could, and a few months later says, "I want to try to get into West Point"...well shit howdy. She trained, got letters of recommendation and even her nomination from Gossar's office...impressive stuff to me. She did it on her own. Well, a few weeks ago she found out she did not receive an appointment. She was not bothered, she had applied and been accepted to NAU, ASU, UofA and Embry-Riddle here in town.

She had decided she may try again fot West Point next year...until this happened.

She went in to see the AFROTC people at Riddle. They said she may have a good chance at scholarship opportunities through them. About this time, she was awarded a Presidential Scholarship to Riddle. Not a full ride, but made it attainable.

Last week, the Air Force offered her a Tier 1 scholarship, books, tuition and...stuff. She also can use the other towards room and board.

My girl will be "going away to school"...only a half hour away, but will get the full college experience I guess.

She'll be working on a degree in aeronautical engineering, and then into the Air Force as an officer.

I don't post pics of my kids much, if at all...but she isn't really a kid anymore. Yes, I'm proud... View attachment 989490
that's an awesome story. congratulations!

4Waters

Reaction score
I can't take any credit for her accomplishments, and surely not for her smarts. My parents did their best with me, and I was still a dumbass for a long time.

She is a driven young lady...and maybe a bit stubborn. She will now be surrounded by others, both academically and in AFROTC, that have that same drive. I think this will help her to accel with her chosen course.

I had no clue as to what a big deal certain things were. For one, it turns out ERAU is one of the top aeronautical engineering schools in the States. I would have figured CalTech, or even USC, if nothing else, just based on their proximity to JPL, or the fact they were around when aerospace was the SoCal economy. I also did not realize that this type of scholarship is pretty rare as well. Both the Captain and the Wing Commander stated that most times a scholarship is awarded, it is only after a candidate's first or second year is completed. At that point, they will pick up the tab moving forward.

My daughter hasn't decided if she wants to try to be a pilot. She knows she can learn there at the school, but knows the "big guns" are only flown by the .01% of American badass. Now, she has a cousin that graduated the Air Force Academy, and has currently worked through training on several aircraft. Competitive and stubborn...I think I know the answer, but will wait and see if Monkeys fly.

20hrs after the fact, and still on cloud 9!
That's BS you're plenty smart yourself, the smarts that you and I have the valedictorians don't have and would struggle trying to learn. Some of those smarts came from you and some from your wife and some she found on her own. Remember you're mechanical and she is going to study aeronautics (mechanical just on a different level), she takes after you more than you think😉

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That's BS you're plenty smart yourself, the smarts that you and I have the valedictorians don't have and would struggle trying to learn. Some of those smarts came from you and some from your wife and some she found on her own. Remember you're mechanical and she is going to study aeronautics (mechanical just on a different level), she takes after you more than you think😉
I appreciate that, but God, I hope she doesn't take after me!

4Waters

Reaction score
I appreciate that, but God, I hope she doesn't take after me!
She won't do the stupid shit us guys do, women are way smarter🤣

No joke, a few weeks ago we were watching America's Funniest Home Videos and after the segment of the show that people getting f'ed up my son says.....

Son 9yrs: Dad, why were all those people guys?

Me: Because we do stupid shit bud.

Daughter 13yrs: That's why we live longer.

Me: Welcome to being a guy.

🤣🤣

fmo24

Reaction score
Before I retired from Northrop there was a huge push to pull young female engineers up thru the ranks. She should have a bright solid career ahead no matter if military or industry career.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Before I retired from Northrop there was a huge push to pull young female engineers up thru the ranks. She should have a bright solid career ahead no matter if military or industry career.
United Airlines just reopened their flight academy. Currently, UAL's pilot makeup is 7% female, including the chief pilot. They are working hard to increase that.