WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Big sonic booms...

riverroyal

Reaction score
I heard one this morning about 10.
Family says yesterday had a few massive ones.

After research military says it wasnt them.

So what do ya think? Im going with military operations.
Martians?

HCP3

Reaction score
I heard one this morning about 10.
Family says yesterday had a few massive ones.

After research military says it wasnt them.

So what do ya think? Im going with military operations.
Martians?
Where? You won't find much info if fighter jets were scrambled.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
North San Diego county.
Yesterday two, first one mild, second one sounded like a bomb landed in my driveway. A very strong jolt.
Did not feel anything this morning during golf......except the thunder overhead😳 around 9-9:15 near the beach.

Boat 405

Reaction score
North San Diego county.
Yesterday two, first one mild, second one sounded like a bomb landed in my driveway. A very strong jolt.
Did not feel anything this morning during golf......except the thunder overhead😳 around 9-9:15 near the beach.
I've heard a few today... Down in Del mar area

BajaMike

Reaction score
Camp Pendleton is doing very heavy artillery fire for the last week. People in San Clemente and Dana Point are really feeling it. Don’t know if that’s what you are feeling.

riverroyal

Reaction score
North sd as a few have said.
Camp p is saying its not them.

Damn conspiracy. Ha
Yesterday's was enough to make my wife go outside and look around.
Like zig said it was massive. Not like the typical artillery stuff we are used to

BajaMike

Reaction score
Maybe the Air Force is trying out a new toy......

wet hull

Reaction score
Its Pendelton. We are wrapping a job in the 52 area where they play with these big toys. Crazy part is it's not bad at the jobsite. Maybe it because we are so close

PlanB

Reaction score
We are in Havasu, but people back home in North SD have been talking about the booms since yesterday. Some that live very close to Pendleton are saying it’s not coming from there.

Buggydave

Reaction score
Is it one "boom", or one louder boom then some smaller booms?

Wedgy

Reaction score
They were flying Jets from Miramar Fast and Furious high out over the Pacific all afternoon on Thursday, while I was fishing down at the mouth of Carmel Creek in South Del Mar. Heard a more than a few Helicopters, and I did hear a few booms. One loud. IDK, could maybe be Aircraft, but sounded like Artillery from Camp Pendleton. Can hear it in Santee as well.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Last Sunday, at 7:00 am, we had one that shook houses. Reports of a meteorite streaking east to west here in central Az. Had another mid week...nothing in the sky, tons of 911 calls. We have no military near here though. The second one is the odd one.

Sandlord

Reaction score
We feel them in the Tucson area a few times a week. They are not loud but there is definitely a concussion

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Last Sunday, at 7:00 am, we had one that shook houses. Reports of a meteorite streaking east to west here in central Az. Had another mid week...nothing in the sky, tons of 911 calls. We have no military near here though. The second one is the odd one.

You don't have to see the aircraft that may be responsible to hear the sonic boom.
For example, A jet at supersonic speeds at FL300, the shock wave can be felt 30 nautical miles away in every direction of said aircraft.
This is a constant for any altitude the aircraft may be flying. 10,000ft (10 NM, 20,000ft 20NM and so on.
As long as the aircraft remains at super sonic speed anyone underneath or in close proximity to the flight path of said aircraft may experience a sonic boom. Atmospheric conditions may intensify or decrease the intensity of the shock wave.
I was the noise complaint investigator for R-2508 Complex at Edwards AFB for 29 years.
During the 1960s NASA and the USAF collected much data on supersonic aircraft with an array of sensors on Roger Dry Lake at Edwards AFB.
Class dismissed. :)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I don't believe normal Pendleton artillery is heard or felt in Chula Vista.
I've had my house rattled thousands of times by Pendleton, never as loud or jolting as the one the other day though.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
SIL works at Lockheed on the X-59.. Experimental aircraft going Super sonic and (nearly) eliminating the boom... Still in the testing stages...

I asked him if it was his project... he giggled and said........ not yet.... If it was you wouldn't have heard it. Mach 1.5

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
You don't have to see the aircraft that may be responsible to hear the sonic boom.
For example, A jet at supersonic speeds at FL300, the shock wave can be felt 30 nautical miles away in every direction of said aircraft.
This is a constant for any altitude the aircraft may be flying. 10,000ft (10 NM, 20,000ft 20NM and so on.
As long as the aircraft remains at super sonic speed anyone underneath or in close proximity to the flight path of said aircraft may experience a sonic boom. Atmospheric conditions may intensify or decrease the intensity of the shock wave.
I was the noise complaint investigator for R-2508 Complex at Edwards AFB for 29 years.
During the 1960s NASA and the USAF collected much data on supersonic aircraft with an array of sensors on Roger Dry Lake at Edwards AFB.
Class dismissed. :)
I understand not seeing the craft making the boom. I used to here them out in the Mohave years ago. The difference with these "booms" was the size. Both made people think that a car drove into their house, or a propane tank exploded. According to local news, military says not them, and airport didn't track anything.
Me, being from Cali, first thought was a jolt of an earthquake...but 2 in a week?

Advantage 1

Reaction score
I don't believe normal Pendleton artillery is heard or felt in Chula Vista.
I've had my house rattled thousands of times by Pendleton, never as loud or jolting as the one the other day though.

Moved to El Camino Real / Mission... not home this weekend, but those 'booms' really rattle the windows!

Sandlord

Reaction score
SIL works at Lockheed on the X-59.. Experimental aircraft going Super sonic and (nearly) eliminating the boom... Still in the testing stages...

I asked him if it was his project... he giggled and said........ not yet.... If it was you wouldn't have heard it. Mach 1.5

it may not be the X-59, but it sounds like there is something out there. Reports along the southern border for last few months of concussions, with quiet booms. You feel them more than you hear them.

River Runnin

Reaction score
I understand not seeing the craft making the boom. I used to here them out in the Mohave years ago. The difference with these "booms" was the size. Both made people think that a car drove into their house, or a propane tank exploded. According to local news, military says not them, and airport didn't track anything.
Me, being from Cali, first thought was a jolt of an earthquake...but 2 in a week?
That's because they're UFOS!!! Geeze people!! 😆

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We had two on Wednesday night, just before midnight. I happened to be walking in from my shop. Sounded eerily like artillery in the distance. What makes these sound weird, no echo off the valley walls. Maybe it's the altitude that they come from? What also stood out, the coyotes were yipping away before, afterwards, they were silent, but the domestic dogs were barking.

PlanB

Reaction score
I have not heard anything, and nothing coming from Pendleton this past week that I have heard.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
I occasionally hear some "boomers" coming from the west of the river, way off in the distance...I was told the booms were from big ground based guns/ Mortars on the range around Barstow, which could be, but I never feel any concussion, just noise... I have been very up close and personal to "4 deuce" Mortars, BOTH ENDS!!!!, and they do carry quite a bit of concussion when fired...
Ray

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I occasionally hear some "boomers" coming from the west of the river, way off in the distance...I was told the booms were from big ground based guns/ Mortars on the range around Barstow, which could be, but I never feel any concussion, just noise... I have been very up close and personal to "4 deuce" Mortars, BOTH ENDS!!!!, and they do carry quite a bit of concussion when fired...
Ray
15-20 years ago, the used to hall ass in fighters through the valley just east of Needles...cool as hell! I don't remember ever hearing artillery from 29 Palms or Ft. Irwin. Used to spend a lot of time boondocking on weekends out there.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
15-20 years ago, the used to hall ass in fighters through the valley just east of Needles...cool as hell! I don't remember ever hearing artillery from 29 Palms or Ft. Irwin. Used to spend a lot of time boondocking on weekends out there.
I have zero idea where the noises were actually coming from, just a guess.... Training at Hunter Leggitt use to have the jets looking for treetop choppers, once sighted, (locked on), they would come down on simulated strafing runs and finish right over our motor pool shop, hit the burner, and shake all the shit off the walls/ceiling....Those guys knew exactly what they were doing....
Ray