WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Big Tex or PJ flat bed trailer

Reaction score
I need to buy a flat bed over the wheel trailer today 10000 lb -14000 20-24 foot any input Big Tex, PJ or anything one else that would have stock in so cal.

Thanks in advanced

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
Ive had a 22' big tex trailer for about a year. No issues.

Reactions: 138

Reaction score
I am reading that powder on the pj is hard to touch up this is going to be a work trailer with heavy film on it should that be a big turn off?

Singleton

Reaction score
My Ronco trailer has held up well. Built in Vista Ca and they have multiple models. Google and you might find something that is local to you and costs less

Reaction score
My Ronco trailer has held up well. Built in Vista Ca and they have multiple models. Google and you might find something that is local to you and costs less

I took a look, nice trailers but they did not have anything deck over heavy duty enough.

Reaction score
10OA.jpg

This is what I was thinking or the PJ one that is powder coated. The big text logos would need to go but other than that I think this is all I will find last minute.

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
View attachment 464639

This is what I was thinking or the PJ one that is powder coated. The big text logos would need to go but other than that I think this is all I will find last minute.

I have the Pj powdercoated and after two summers in Lhc it will fade a bit. That said, it is way nicer than paint, all led lighting etc. Wouldnt hesitate to buy another Pj very happy.

Reaction score
I have the Pj powdercoated and after two summers in Lhc it will fade a bit. That said, it is way nicer than paint, all led lighting etc. Wouldnt hesitate to buy another Pj very happy.

Thanks for the advice any problems with the powder getting chips?

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Cat skid steer came with a 12 k big tex. Great solid trailer that held all the attachments and machine no problem. Only reason I sold it is I do not have a class A license. I bought a 18' Carson Equipment trailer rated at 9,999 lbs to replace it. It works but not as hd as the Big tex was.

I have a PJ dump trailer. it was parked where sprinklers hit it before I bought it. The powder coat traps moisture behind causing it to rust with out knowing. Knock of some powder coat and it is like cancer behind it from the rust damage.

I would buy a Big Tex and they most likely have what you need on stock right there off the 10.

guest hs

Reaction score
Let me show you a little comparison between painted trailers and Powder coated trailers. By the way I am a PJ Trailer dealer. The first 2 pictures show a trailer with 3000 miles on it and its painted. The third picture shows a PJ powder coated trailer with 5000 miles on it. Another nice thing about PJ Trailers is you can also have the option to use the bolt on aluminum diamond plate fenders as you see in the last picture.

Attachments

• PJ 001.JPG
    PJ 001.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 711
  • PJ 002.JPG
    PJ 002.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 676
  • PJ 003.JPG
    PJ 003.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 709
  • PJ 004.JPG
    PJ 004.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 677

NicPaus

Reaction score
Let me show you a little comparison between painted trailers and Powder coated trailers. By the way I am a PJ Trailer dealer. The first 2 pictures show a trailer with 3000 miles on it and its painted. The third picture shows a PJ powder coated trailer with 5000 miles on it. Another nice thing about PJ Trailers is you can also have the option to use the bolt on aluminum diamond plate fenders as you see in the last picture.

Is that 3000 miles on a gravel road? You never replied on your for sale thread when I asked what size the other PJ dump trailer was you had for sale. My PJ dump is a great trailer only issue is rust behind powder coat.

Andy01

Reaction score
I've owned three big tex trailers and everyone of them were great.

guest hs

Reaction score
Is that 3000 miles on a gravel road? You never replied on your for sale thread when I asked what size the other PJ dump trailer was you had for sale. My PJ dump is a great trailer only issue is rust behind powder coat.

I have a 2 dump trailers in stock a 12 and a 14

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Get the biggest Cap. axels they offer.
Two big axels are better than 3 medium.

DSCN0149_zpscb09d6c8.jpg

boat07-2.jpg

RDsux001.jpg

2Driver

Reaction score
I have a pj and am very happy with it. I ended up removing the back ramp and modding the side ramps to work on the back as well. I hate the tall flip up rear ramps
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454706816.078775.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score

That sounds like a preparation issue, like there was rust prior to powder coat. I had some PJ dumps several years ago but they were painted so I can't speak about the powder coat. The mechanicals were great, no problems.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Just picked this up today in Sacramento. 20' 14k gvwr for $6200.[ trailer1.jpg ATTACH=CONFIG]464768[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 215

Reaction score
Once again thanks for all the advice I ended up getting the pj 24' 14000 in black and already had it packed with film and everything worked great. I have to pull the stickers, powder coat the rims, get a lock box ,wench and I am done.
Thanks for everyone's advice

Reaction score
What do you guys think about staining the wood black? I know the up keep will be a pain but I think it would look good what say you?

yz450mm

Reaction score
What do you guys think about staining the wood black? I know the up keep will be a pain but I think it would look good what say you?
Interesting idea, I think I like it. You go first and post pics lol.

Reaction score
Interesting idea, I think I like it. You go first and post pics lol.

I will bite..see if I can find the time but it will be done in the next 3 weeks some way by someone else lol

Singleton

Reaction score

I did that to mine. Don't have any pics, but will post next weekend when I bring it home from Havasu. Everything is blacked out.

Reaction score
I did that to mine. Don't have any pics, but will post next weekend when I bring it home from Havasu. Everything is blacked out.

He did it first so I don't have to do shi. Until he post pictures. ..he took one for the team.lol

NicPaus

Reaction score
That sounds like a preparation issue, like there was rust prior to powder coat. I had some PJ dumps several years ago but they were painted so I can't speak about the powder coat. The mechanicals were great, no problems.

Possibly. I know it sat where it was when I bought it for 3 years which did not help.

Mechanically it is very solid and built well. It is my little one 5x8 single axle but will still hold 4200# and can still go through a drive through. Been very happy with it.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Is it bare wood or already sealed? I painted the wood on mine black on the Carson 18' I currently have. Looked like shit after a year with skid steer tearing it up. I just repainted it gray and it looks a lot better and does not show everything like the black did. If you want black look into getting it Line x or similar coating.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Is it bare wood or already sealed? I painted the wood on mine black on the Carson 18' I currently have. Looked like shit after a year with skid steer tearing it up. I just repainted it gray and it looks a lot better and does not show everything like the black did. If you want black look into getting it Line x or similar coating.
Bare wood, looks like a stain will soak right in.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Bare wood, looks like a stain will soak right in.

Then stain it as dark as possible then a good clear sealer over the top. The paint does not penetrate like sealer and the tires tear it up when turning.

petie6464

Reaction score
I have a Big Tex 120A basically the same trailer the OP is looking at. I bought it used about five years ago, I use it on my Ranch hauling equipment, water totes etc. The roads I use it on are county and primitive un-maintained roads 50 miles in and out and about half of that is very rough, (four wheel drive with lockers on both end rough.) All I can say is the Big Tex is a solid heavy trailer and I would buy another in a heart beat. Mine has held up extremely well and that goes for the paint as well. The decking is starting to show its age but after sitting outside in the weather what can one expect.

BigSteve

Reaction score
I have a Big Tex 120A basically the same trailer the OP is looking at. I bought it used about five years ago, I use it on my Ranch hauling equipment, water totes etc. The roads I use it on are county and primitive un-maintained roads 50 miles in and out and about half of that is very rough, (four wheel drive with lockers on both end rough.) All I can say is the Big Tex is a solid heavy trailer and I would buy another in a heart beat. Mine has held up extremely well and that goes for the paint as well. The decking is starting to show its age but after sitting outside in the weather what can one expect.
I have a trailer service business for semi trailers, however I work on several Big Tex trailers used in the fleet operations
Solid trailers in general. After a decade or two the trailer flooring dry rots and good flooring is very expensive $5 ft 7" wide
A inexpensive flooring repair job that lasts a decade of tough service
Involves adding a couple extra light weight trailer x members
To be placed under where 4 x 8 plywood sheets meet
I use 1 1/8 plywood 4x8 sheet about $30 Each and 20 each for x members
Use a little Thompson water seal and throw a tarp over it when not in use

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I insisted on "Buggy Width" + 24' long.
DSCN0149_zpscb09d6c8.jpg

Note Trailer wheels are inside the outside dimensions.

Bear wasn't willing to build us a trailer buggy width nor longer than 20'.
They may now, but not 9 years ago.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
what are you pulling it with ? a trailer that size i would go goose neck :cool

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
No opinions on the PJ but I love my Big Tex. Will keep that thing forever. Was just looking into putting better rims on it today. Hate the white rims look.

Reaction score
Then stain it as dark as possible then a good clear sealer over the top. The paint does not penetrate like sealer and the tires tear it up when turning.
That is what I think I am going to do. Stain the shit out of it then us Thompson.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Reaction score
Trailer DE stickered , washed and ready to stain. I do hate black. 20160206_142209.jpg

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
40' Tex gooseneck I've had since '05 is a little chipped, but I haul shit that I shouldn't on it, and it's still solid as a rock. That said I've never had a PJ.

Reaction score
40' Tex gooseneck I've had since '05 is a little chipped, but I haul shit that I shouldn't on it, and it's still solid as a rock. That said I've never had a PJ.
So far it looks good it would have been nice if they would not have put so many stickers on it took an hour with a heat gun to get them all off. As of now I like the traler.

Again thanks everyone for your help. Next Is A Car Trailer With Bathroom AND Kitchen.

dezertrider

Reaction score
I pickup a new PJ on Monday for Bronkzila. I went to High School with a good friend that owns a custom trailer / repair company and he even said buy a PJ. He says he maintains them all the time for customers and they are a good quality.

Reaction score
I pickup a new PJ on Monday for Bronkzila. I went to High School with a good friend that owns a custom trailer / repair company and he even said buy a PJ. He says he maintains them all the time for customers and they are a good quality.
I guess we both got the right trailer ....until well something goes wrong lol...good luck with your new purchase.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Do you guys have non commercial Class A licenses? I'm going to be hauling equipment on mine so so I'm definitely going to look into getting a Class A ASAP.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I never had any issues with PJ prior to their big fire at their Texas plant. I have bought dozens for business. I insist on nothing from their new Ohio plant which opened post recession. Several bad experiences from Ohio. One I refused delivery. They literally welded the aftermarket surge brake hitch on incorrectly. I custom order with steel diamond plate decking vs.wood. mostly all we use is the medium duty deckover sizes. 14' to 22'. Some tilt decks. This thread is going to make me look around a bit. I like to buy local and I work thru my PJ dealers. Even they get frustrated with the issues.

dezertrider

Reaction score
I never had any issues with PJ prior to their big fire at their Texas plant. I have bought dozens for business. I insist on nothing from their new Ohio plant which opened post recession. Several bad experiences from Ohio. One I refused delivery. They literally welded the aftermarket surge brake hitch on incorrectly. I custom order with steel diamond plate decking vs.wood. mostly all we use is the medium duty deckover sizes. 14' to 22'. Some tilt decks. This thread is going to make me look around a bit. I like to buy local and I work thru my PJ dealers. Even they get frustrated with the issues.

Do they still make them out of Texas? I will look it over closely when I go pick it up. Thanks for the tips

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Do they still make them out of Texas? I will look it over closely when I go pick it up. Thanks for the tips

Yes, I would insist on Texas plant if you custom order. Just my two cents.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Do you guys have non commercial Class A licenses? I'm going to be hauling equipment on mine so so I'm definitely going to look into getting a Class A ASAP.

I would not use it until you do. I believe a commercial class a is required a non commercial class a is for a camper or toyhauler. Maybe get away with non commercial if you have quads or buggy on it but I don't think so. Years back Torrance started a commercial truck enforcement division. I sold 3 trailers as the tickets are $3-12k on average from what I hear for being over weight and out of class after tow fees and fines. Most likely need a weight sticker as well for your truck.