WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bigbore's latest project - 2004 Silverado 2500HD

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
On to the Tint.....

17% carbon on the front to match the factory rear. Hoping that’s enough, I’m used to 15% or Limo!

5D61A075-107E-434E-81D3-2EE1B7783160.jpeg

Ed doing what Ed do best.....been tinting my cars for 20+ years
8A757F18-5BF6-4EF1-8801-7A898BEA13C2.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
Those headlights looks gangsta!!

Backlash

Reaction score
Truck looks great! I've been on the fence about getting something newer, but I like and am used to the early 2000's body style. Keep up the good work!!

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Truck looks great! I've been on the fence about getting something newer, but I like and am used to the early 2000's body style. Keep up the good work!!

YES!! The 1999- 2003's I just Love the Front End and Headlights of those years. Then they kept messing with BIG UGLY things, IMO.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Ding free, tinted and clean! Now that exhaust pipe and muffler stick out like a sore thumb.....
Guess maybe that’s my next project lol....
View attachment 879378

Looks Super.

I have always felt that a Great,Clean Older Vehicle will always get the attentio vs a So typical New one.

Great JOB!!

P.S. is it Rude to ask what you have into it after the purchase, Detail,Tint etc.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
What a difference....just the lil things...
I need to strip my moulding too....wanna paint my grill all black and get new headlights. I've already polished mine once.....already oxidizing....lame

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Looks Super.

I have always felt that a Great,Clean Older Vehicle will always get the attentio vs a So typical New one.

Great JOB!!

P.S. is it Rude to ask what you have into it after the purchase, Detail,Tint etc.

Not at all! I’m tracking it 😀
———————————————————
Truck - $7000
Headlamp lenses - $65
LED bulb conversions - $175
Lift (adjust) - Elbow grease
Tires $550
Alignment $50
Sell original tires -($250) credit
Sell side steps -($60) credit
Black spraypaint $25
Remove mouldings - Elbow grease
3m adhesive wheel $20
3m spray 77 $10
Waxes $25
Paintless dent removal $320
Tint 2 windows $75
Elbow grease
Elbow grease
Elbow grease

Total so far - $8005.00

Stereo stuff (head unit, speakers, backup cam, amp kit) is in the crutch field cart right now, $495.00

May toss a flow master “big block” series muffler on it for a little tone, that would be $100

Projected total - $8600.00.....and a shitload of elbow grease

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Not at all! I’m tracking it 😀
———————————————————
Truck - $7000
Headlamp lenses - $65
LED bulb conversions - $175
Lift (adjust) - Elbow grease
Tires $550
Alignment $50
Sell original tires -($250) credit
Sell side steps -($60) credit
Black spraypaint $25
Remove mouldings - Elbow grease
3m adhesive wheel $20
3m spray 77 $10
Waxes $25
Paintless dent removal $320
Tint 2 windows $75
Elbow grease
Elbow grease
Elbow grease

Total so far - $8005.00

Stereo stuff (head unit, speakers, backup cam, amp kit) is in the crutch field cart right now, $495.00

May toss a flow master “big block” series muffler on it for a little tone, that would be $100

Projected total - $8600.00.....and a shitload of elbow grease

Worth Every Cent.

The Dent repair seems reasonable.

Did some Beerski's go along with the Elbow Grease?:D

BONER

Reaction score
$8600 is a bargain.

If it were mine, the next step would be putting together a junkyard 6.0 on a stand in the garage. :)

E4L

Reaction score
Nice work [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Chingon

Reaction score
Ding free, tinted and clean! Now that exhaust pipe and muffler stick out like a sore thumb.....
Guess maybe that’s my next project lol....
View attachment 879378
Looking good BB500!!
I love my '04 2500HD LT 2WD LB 8.1L . I'm the original owner. As much as I would love to upgrade I just can't. Just hit 59k miles on last trip to Havasu.
20180621_100212[4779].jpg

HitIt

Reaction score
I know that you know your way around these trucks but if they are anything like the half tons, they can drone like crazy at highway speeds. I went with a pretty quiet magnaflow cat back on my truck and it still slightly drones and is annoying on long trips. Sounds good around town though. If you plan to use this on long trips, you might want to just throw a shiny tip on it and call it a day.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Anyone else's 99-07 HD have the whining / hissing power steering thing happening? When you steer the truck when stopped ( or parking lot speeds) the steering hisses like a Isuzu NPR and your can feel it in the wheel. I'm assuming this has something to do with the PS / Hydroboost system that the HD trucks have. Anyone delt with this?

BONER

Reaction score
I’ve got this but Its worth more than the truck lol

I know what you mean. But a used lq4 block is cheap. I might be going down this / your route soon. I think 450rwhp with mid grade parts and a small budget is pretty attainable. Probably have to run 91 but would be enough to peel the rear skins off up to 30mph and pull a boat 75mph in lock up.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I know that you know your way around these trucks but if they are anything like the half tons, they can drone like crazy at highway speeds. I went with a pretty quiet magnaflow cat back on my truck and it still slightly drones and is annoying on long trips. Sounds good around town though. If you plan to use this on long trips, you might want to just throw a shiny tip on it and call it a day.
Judging by the way mine sounds.....and I bought it from him a couple of years ago....I'm sure he's ok with it....lol. Got Gibson over here...sounds good. That's what stereo is for...😂

rickym20

Reaction score
Anyone else's 99-07 HD have the whining / hissing power steering thing happening? When you steer the truck when stopped ( or parking lot speeds) the steering hisses like a Isuzu NPR and your can feel it in the wheel. I'm assuming this has something to do with the PS / Hydroboost system that the HD trucks have. Anyone delt with this?

Are you losing any fluid? I just replaced the hydro boost yesterday. There is a seal that goes bad after a little while on them and needs to be replaced. You can buy the seal and rebuild or get the whole refurbished unit for couple hundred delivered.
I ended up with replacing the unit and all is good so far but still too early to tell. Been watching your thread to get ideas what I am going to do next 🍺

Attachments

• 5DAC5D91-ED8E-465A-BE38-1C357C0BEBCF.jpeg
    5DAC5D91-ED8E-465A-BE38-1C357C0BEBCF.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 150

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Judging by the way mine sounds.....and I bought it from him a couple of years ago....I'm sure he's ok with it....lol. Got Gibson over here...sounds good. That's what stereo is for...😂
The Gibson came on the truck, I added the Stereo to out-blast the Gibson!!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Are you losing any fluid? I just replaced the hydro boost yesterday. There is a seal that goes bad after a little while on them and needs to be replaced. You can buy the seal and rebuild or get the whole refurbished unit for couple hundred delivered.
I ended up with replacing the unit and all is good so far but still too early to tell. Been watching your thread to get ideas what I am going to do next 🍺
No fluid loss, and previous owner flushed the PS fluid frequently so I don’t think the fluid is the issue. Would love to quiet it down

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I know what you mean. But a used lq4 block is cheap. I might be going down this / your route soon. I think 450rwhp with mid grade parts and a small budget is pretty attainable. Probably have to run 91 but would be enough to peel the rear skins off up to 30mph and pull a boat 75mph in lock up.
The issue is low RPM torque, pulling in 4th at 75 is around 2500rpm’s, and the cam / heads required to make 450RWP out of a 6.0 would murder torque output below 4000rpm. Need cubes!!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
That’s better......just missing a fresh RDP sticker
A5C293DB-962A-4413-8E5C-4EBDE65BB0F4.jpeg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Its been awhile, haven't done anything to the truck in 6 months, except drive it and change the oil.

This truck might be worth $20,000 CUSD* the way things are going now days
*CUSD - Covid United States Dollars

Still need to do the stereo, but before that I need to handle the exhaust situation. The stock muffler is about done and rattling at idle.

The factory exhaust for the 6.0 2500HD trucks is actually the same setup as the 8.1 trucks, which means it has true-dual 3" exhaust all the way back to the axle - that's teh good part. The bad part - the dual 3" pipes feed a factory muffler that is super restrictive. The muffler also has dual 3" outlets, that feed a nice Y merge pipe that dumps into a nice 3 1/2" over the axle. Seems like a weird setup, but its designed to kill drone and it does do that well as the stock setup can't be heard at all in the cab.

In typical Bigbore fashion, it's going to get a tasteful performance upgrade with some value engineering. Choices for dual 3" inlet / dual 3" outlet mufflers are few and far between, but I did find what appears to be a knockoff of the 3-chamber "big block series" 50 Flowmaster. The pipe spacing is a match for the factory muffler, but the overal length of the case is about 10" shorter so some extra pipe will have to be added.

Ladies and Gentleman, I present ye......

THE INSYNERATOR

1606946652973.png

And for the RDP financial planners.....I paid cash - $54.30 for this baby

The plan is to swap this guy in place of the factory rattle trap, keep the 3 1/2" over the axle (which is a nice piece) and then have the exhaust shop tuck the pipe up nice and tight, and cut it back about 6" so it doesn't hang out so far.

Or i might add a 2nd fake pipe out the other side for @SoCalDave .....

Shows up Saturday, should be installed in 2 weeks

Last edited:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Its been awhile, haven't done anything to the truck in 6 months, except drive it and change the oil.

Still need to do the stereo, but before that I need to handle the exhaust situation. The stock muffler is about done and rattling at idle.

The factory exhaust for the 6.0 2500HD trucks is actually the same setup as the 8.1 trucks, which means it has true-dual 3" exhaust all the way back to the axle - that's teh good part. The bad part - the dual 3" pipes feed a factory muffler that is super restrictive. The muffler also has dual 3" outlets, that feed a nice Y merge pipe that dumps into a nice 3 1/2" over the axle. Seems like a weird setup, but its designed to kill drone and it does do that well as the stock setup can't be heard at all in the cab.

In typical Bigbore fashion, it's going to get a tasteful performance upgrade with some value engineering. Choices for dual 3" inlet / dual 3" outlet mufflers are few and far between, but I did find what appears to be a knockoff of the 3-chamber "big block series" 50 Flowmaster. The pipe spacing is a match for the factory muffler, but the overal length of the case is about 10" shorter so some extra pipe will have to be added.

THE INSYNERATOR

View attachment 948099

The plan is to swap this guy in place of the factory rattle trap, keep the 3 1/2" over the axle (which is a nice piece) and then have the exhaust shop tuck the pipe up nice and tight, and cut it back about 6" so it doesn't hang out so far.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the sound. I have the 8.1, and there is a guy in AZ that did a bunch of flow bench testing on mufflers and he recommends replacing the restrictive stock muffler with two dynomax 17769 3"/3" mufflers. Says a single one of those Dynomax's will flow just over what the stock dual muffler does, and you're using two of them. Sound remains mellow/stockish. Please report back on the sound, I cannot stand the drone!

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Is it me or do all the PU's have a HUGE front end look to them? I am not a fan of them at all and why I like these years so much!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Curious to hear your thoughts on the sound. I have the 8.1, and there is a guy in AZ that did a bunch of flow bench testing on mufflers and he recommends replacing the restrictive stock muffler with two dynomax 17769 3"/3" mufflers. Says a single one of those Dynomax's will flow just over what the stock dual muffler does, and you're using two of them. Sound remains mellow/stockish. Please report back on the sound, I cannot stand the drone!
Curious what flow bench and parameters he’s using? Flow testing a 3” muffler requires some serious airflow.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

THE INSYNERATOR

View attachment 948099

the stock muffler should be 2 in and one out...no?
I like magnaflow...they sound just right. I have the cat back (or air back right now) in my 1500HD because there was some rotted dyno max mild steel bullshit on it when I bought it. Fitment leaves a bit to be desired, but it works. Stock inlets and I believe a 3.5 or 4” outlet.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Curious what flow bench and parameters he’s using? Flow testing a 3” muffler requires some serious airflow.

Dunno. This is his business, he is an old timer. He spent a lot of time screwing with his personal 8.1 truck. He stated:

"I dumped the POS stock muffler, you would think that the stock dual 3" in and dual 3" out would flow pretty well, but its trash! The "outlet" towards the driveshaft side is simply a resonator chamber with little flow! Looked at the Magnaflow, but it only has 2 1/2" internal tubes! Why bother? I ended up installing my favorite mufflers, (Dynomax 3" Super turbos #17769 after flowing a bunch of promising mufflers that didn't deliver. The pair of them flow over double what the stock muffler flows. I made a nice two 3" into one 4" transition that goes into a universal Dynomax 4" diesel tailpipe. On the flowbench the transition/ tailpipe/ Dynomax combo still flows just a bit more than double what the stock muffler/ tailpipe flowed. The results were nothing short of dramatic!!!!! The muffler/ tailpipe gains were worth more than the headers!!!"

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Super Turbos usually suck for flow but don’t drone.

Putting in 2 a true dual exhaust to replace the OE muffler probably works well.

707dog

Reaction score
anyone towing heavy 6k lbs + with those 2500's/ 6.0?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
the stock muffler should be 2 in and one out...no?
I like magnaflow...they sound just right. I have the cat back (or air back right now) in my 1500HD because there was some rotted dyno max mild steel bullshit on it when I bought it. Fitment leaves a bit to be desired, but it works. Stock inlets and I believe a 3.5 or 4” outlet.
On some trucks yes, but my particular year and configuration (crew cab short bed 2wd) it is dual in / dual out into a Y and then over the axle

USMC2010

Reaction score
My old truck camper was 3200 with a bayliner towed behind. I sold my toyhauler that was about 7000. My Nordic is around 5600.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I'm sure its gonna have some drone, the last 07 I had with a Gibson droned pretty good. The only good thing is that on the freeway at 70+ they are past the drone due to the truck revving 2600+rpm, thanks to the 4L80's "barely overdrive" OD ratio lol. Aaaaaaand - that's where the shit MPG comes from!

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score

I pull the 28 Howard with my 07 Chevy 2500 Hd Extended Cab 6.0 with a Black Bear Tune, probably towing 7500 lbs. Absolutely no problems. Pulled well without the tune but now really no problem. Havasu pull no issues.
57B05D0B-AD1F-4855-A4F7-877031FA8A55.jpeg

Last edited:

707dog

Reaction score
My black 2007 pulled my loaded 10k 27ft toy hauler great. Sold it to @HOOTER SLED- , i think he uses it now to pull hoes

View attachment 948192
ok cool iv seen some newer 2500 gassers with the 6.0 was just curious how they did. i am up in the air on a gasser or a diesel on my next purchase. my caddy pulls everything i own fine but leaves me no room down the road to upgrade the camp trailer

toto

Reaction score
I have loved our 05 and has been a great truck. I am probably going to regret selling it but the wife wants a camper.
20180615_181312.jpg
20180818_105629.jpg
20200728_064047.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
Said it before and I'll say it again. BIG fan of the 05 Diesel 4WD we bought from Andy last year. Tows 12k+ of Cigaratte no problem, hauls ass, gets KILLER fuel mileage and I seriously get compliments on it all the time. Andy did all the work to it and kept it in like new condition. I joke with him still that I think I ripped him off on the price.

I'm toying with lifting it though. :oops: And when I say toying, I actually mean, I'm probably going to. Just need to find a decent lift, right size and someone to do it.

And I'm thinking about taking the black fender flares off. Anyone know how difficult it is or have any tips?

truck4.jpg

toto

Reaction score
This is where I ask
"Miles ? Diesel? 4wd? How much?"

View attachment 948360
4x4 - Diesel - 190K Original miles never chipped or abused, doesn't smoke and looks band new inside. Only add on's are Fox 2.0 Redhead steering box ( Which Is A Must ) and Mag -Hytec Dif cover and Trans pan. Don't know on the price as I am still kicking it around. We just moved and don't have the river house anymore and the wife wants a large Lance Camper or Host and will need a long bed dually.