WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

billet accessories on merc 540

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Trying to finalize power for a howard 255. I am think 540, the 520 is by far the best value but there is something about a set of SS pipes that just screams "sexy". The up-charge to move to the 540 and get the pipes is less than what I would pay to add them later, so 540 it is.

The 540 is still lacking on front drive accessories and the 565 seems to have a differing layout.

Does anyone know if street versions of BBC serpentine kits are applicable to the 520 or 540s? I cant seem to find any billet accessories, pullies listed as either 520 or 540 application?
Normally I wouldn't really care but since the rear hatch opens up so much the front of the motor is right in your face and since I can't afford 600sci eye candy billet pullies and SS pipes will have to do!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I'm sure you could mix and match, but getting the offset right so everything lines up for proper belt operation is the tough part. I'm surprised no one has offered this yet, but when you start pricing out the street stuff, you might be in for a surprise and see why it doesn't exist.

Just machining the raw casting marks off the seapump and repainting would be a start. I'd be curious to see how much of the 565 or 600 SCi stuff would fit. I'll bet painting, powdercoating, or chroming the existing stuff is going to be most cost effective. Chrome doesn't hold up well in salt, but it's OK in fresh water.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
The better question would have been does a 454/502 pulley set fit the 520-540s?

This one is possible, the belt alignment and offset is somewhat typical when the reverse short marine pump is used. This is missing a tensioner pulley.
I have ran a few of the street systems $$ does set you back a bit, most likely won't go down that road since I don't want to alter location. A nice pulley kit will make me happy. Diameter needs to match as well so not under or over-driving accessories.

520 accesories
1612468034392.png

older 502 mag efi
1612468084825.png

520 has an added tensioner (502 adjusted with one of the accessories or a sliding idler?) %20 has much better belt wrap on the PS sea pump and crank IMO
The better question would have been does this 454/502 pulley set fit the 520-540s?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Go with a 600 if you can. You will thank us all later.

Reactions: DWC

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
I just reached out via email, I mentioned you, and said you thought mentioning him would be worth a 50-75% discount, hope that's ok [emoji482] [emoji482]

Lol. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Lol. [emoji1303]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did send you a request about some pullies for a 540,
I mentioned polished finish but after looking on your site I may be interested in anodized(?) colors like those blue ones.
Do you offer a variety of colors?

Thx

v6toy4x

Reaction score

I already had to hide the price sheet from my wife, if I thought I could swing the 600 I would, but as we grow older somewhere around 80mph works just fine. Somebody has to bring up the rear!

Plus I read some studies that say if you run in the back of the pack the front boats wind cools the ambient temperature enought that the ice in my cooler will last much longer so at the end of the day my beer will be colder! Now that is a WIN!!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If financing what’s the end dollar monthly on the 600? The only draw back of see is the insurance, but the resale on the 600 will be quite a bit stronger whether in one year or ten years?

v6toy4x

Reaction score
If financing what’s the end dollar monthly on the 600? The only draw back of see is the insurance, but the resale on the 600 will be quite a bit stronger whether in one year or ten years?
Too old to finance, i'd be dead before it was paid off! however you are correct the monthly hit wqould be minimal enough to upgrade. I am with you on resale I am hoping the name howard is a big help in that dept.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
looking closer and it appears the sea pump on the 540 is quite a bit closer to the crank than the 502, so the 502 crank and circ pump pulllies may be too big
Send Jim an email. He’s awesome, he’ll i should see a package from him Monday...... anyone looking for a silver Carlotta I’ll be getting rid of mine 🤪

[email protected]

Last edited:

farmo83

Reaction score
I did send you a request about some pullies for a 540,
I mentioned polished finish but after looking on your site I may be interested in anodized(?) colors like those blue ones.
Do you offer a variety of colors?

Thx

Alexi has my boat now. The stuff he comes up with is insane.

If he doesn't have it he'll fabricate it. When I dropped my boat off he was bringing several high dollar machines to do more of this type of stuff.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
For us, not being able to get DTS eliminated the 600. Since the boat is designed to be able to be used as a tow boat, DTS was mandatory to be able to use tow command. If it weren’t for that, We would have gone with the 600. My better half is all about getting “the biggest tool available.” That’s how she ended up with me. 🤣

Nobody has gone with the 600 yet, but there is a guy in Phoenix who having a built motor installed. I don’t remember the HP, but i think it was like 700+. I haven’t heard if that was completed yet. It would be cool to be the first 255 into triple digits. With the right prop and enough lake, I suppose any of the blue motors might be able to do it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Personally I’d rather buy a NA boat used then a blower boat..

riverroyal

Reaction score
Why not tell gene and mike you want this? Keep it in-house

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Why not tell gene and mike you want this? Keep it in-house

My thought was these would be off the shelf somewhere and I just wasn't seeing them, and I would just handle it and leave the real changes to them. But if I cant find them I may have to see what they can do.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Trying to finalize power for a howard 255. I am think 540, the 520 is by far the best value but there is something about a set of SS pipes that just screams "sexy". The up-charge to move to the 540 and get the pipes is less than what I would pay to add them later, so 540 it is.

The 540 is still lacking on front drive accessories and the 565 seems to have a differing layout.

Does anyone know if street versions of BBC serpentine kits are applicable to the 520 or 540s? I cant seem to find any billet accessories, pullies listed as either 520 or 540 application?
Normally I wouldn't really care but since the rear hatch opens up so much the front of the motor is right in your face and since I can't afford 600sci eye candy billet pullies and SS pipes will have to do!
Get some merc racing blue paint and call it a day
20181013_210836.jpg

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I’d have to agree. Powder coat or paint. I’m over billet really. Seems a bit on the cheesy side nowadays.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I’d have to agree. Powder coat or paint. I’m over billet really. Seems a bit on the cheesy side nowadays.

I am liking the idea more and more, especially if I can still order the merc in one of the optional colors. I have a nice powder coater semi local that would do this justice.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
One big bonus of the powder oat is it lasts a very long time with almost zero maintenance