WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bimini mounting location

kiethco

Reaction score
I had Michelle look at my boat and measure for a top. She wants to mount it to the railing shown in the picture with pointer vs the old inboard mounting points in the other picture.
After thinking about it, I'm not sure how that's gonna look attached to the rail and long term torque. Anyone seen this before, experience?

Attachments

• bimini2.jpg
    bimini2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 17
  • bimini1.jpg
    bimini1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 15

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I had Michelle look at my boat and measure for a top. She wants to mount it to the railing shown in the picture with pointer vs the old inboard mounting points in the other picture.
After thinking about it, I'm not sure how that's gonna look attached to the rail and long term torque. Anyone seen this before, experience?
Well I'd definitely NOT mount it right in the middle of the span. It'd cause WAY too much flex unless that's some crazy reinforced railing. If you're gonna mount it to the railing, I'd definitely get as close to one of the supports as possible for strength.

Andy01

Reaction score
I'd go stock location for sure. If you want it wider then mount outside the boat in the glass.

rush1

Reaction score
Are those black plastic fittings on the end of your Bimini polls? if so mounting on that bar won't be the weak link the plastic ends are and need to go in the trash. :eek

Andy01

Reaction score
Are those black plastic fittings on the end of your Bimini polls? if so mounting on that bar won't be the weak link the plastic ends are and need to go in the trash. :eek

He's having a entire new top built, those ends would go in the trash.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Has anybody actually had a plastic bimini fitting fail?

Rotten deal

Reaction score
I don't see a problem mounting to rail. I would use straps in front and the stainless tube in back with a little mesh for wind to blow threw. Most the pressure is on front and rear supports when under way. The tubes for rear support make them really stout when moving. I've had one of her biminis at 95 mph with no problems.

sirbob

Reaction score
I think it will look bulky and be in the way if it's mounted on top of the rail. Especially when it folded down - I would think the inside mount like it currently is would be the most discreet.

Can't speak to structural flex or sturdiness.

I just wouldn't like the look of mounting to the rail

kiethco

Reaction score
It's going to be 4 colors with the mesh in the middle. Using straps. I just can't get a vision of the rail mounts. I agree, the inside looks the most discreet, but she doesn't like to use that system. I have zero experience with a custom bimini, all my boats have come with one. I did have my local shop do the fabric recover on one.
Soooo, I guess if I hate it I can relocate, but Michelle seems to know her seams so I'll let her run with the rail mount. I've just never seen one before.
Should be done in.....2 weeks!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
The plastic ends on mine have held up so far, but they are only 28 years old so who knows.

I used to make biminis and never had a failure either with plastic. Just curious if anyone has. Thanks.
Maybe What she wants to do is move the center of the shade back to between the seats instead of weighting it beyond the front seats. Thats a lot going on , on top of the rails. Visualy. Strength should be no problem. Does the lenght of the top work out so you could store it inside and keep the lines clean, then move it to the top rail for use?

kiethco

Reaction score
I spoke with Michelle today and the top is going to have a stainless steel frame. She definitely knew what she was talking about and went into great detail. My boat tops out under 60 but I've gone 50 with traditional biminis and I had my eye on those little plastic components and thought how catastrophic a failure at speed would be. I like the idea of a 2; wide mesh insert down the middle too. My wife will like the 20% sun rays still sneaking thru. Michelle is sending over pics of the mounts this morning. If I don't like it, it's an easy change, even when build and mounted.

rush1

Reaction score
Has anybody actually had a plastic bimini fitting fail?

I have, learned the hard way. That's why I commented that, if I had read what he actually posted instead of just looking at the pretty picture I would of known he was replacing the whole top. DOH :p