WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bimini question

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I s/w someone from Eliminator at the boat show (can't recall his name) and he advised me that the sub out their Bimini jobs. Couldn't get a name of where but will call and ask. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

My question is this. We are up for an interior job and were planning on doing it this year but with the wedding and honeymoon coming up in 2 months, there is no way I am going to try and add that cost in the middle.

With that being said, the soon to be Mrs. wants a Bimini installed yesterday. Is the money in the construction of the Bimini itself with the poles or is the money in the canvas material? My thought is to just get one now that matches and then have the canvas redone when we figure out the interior.

My next question is, am I better off having one done in Havasu where the boat is stored or out here in the Inland Empire? I have to bring the boat back home anyways so either one will work. Thank you for any input. Any boat I've owned including my last Daytona came with them so this is something new to me.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Get a bimini that matches the boat colors and you wont throw good money away when you do the interior.

That said, the canvas is the cheap part. If you have a canvas already and just wanted to change it, you should be able to take just the canvas to any decent shop and they could replicate it for a few hundred bucks.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
King Kid in Valencia is who I would use if bringing it back to California

I would get it done in Havasu, if the boat is out there, and as long as the colors match the gel scheme of the boat, you won't have to worry about it when you update the interior.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Seam Dreams in havasu completely rebuilt mine (Eliminator). Kristen did a great job. I don’t remember the cost but it’s been worth every penny. I also agree with the others, do it right the first time.

Icky

Reaction score
I think so too.

They had a booth at the show last weekend. Nice products.
They did mine last year, had them build it with the center mesh and the poles instead of straps. Personally I like the looks of the straps better, but I was over breaking straps and hooks.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Don’t mind the beer work is slow with the rain. And I grabbed a card while I at the show Saturday.
IMG_1278.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I s/w someone from Eliminator at the boat show (can't recall his name) and he advised me that the sub out their Bimini jobs. Couldn't get a name of where but will call and ask. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

My question is this. We are up for an interior job and were planning on doing it this year but with the wedding and honeymoon coming up in 2 months, there is no way I am going to try and add that cost in the middle.

With that being said, the soon to be Mrs. wants a Bimini installed yesterday. Is the money in the construction of the Bimini itself with the poles or is the money in the canvas material? My thought is to just get one now that matches and then have the canvas redone when we figure out the interior.

My next question is, am I better off having one done in Havasu where the boat is stored or out here in the Inland Empire? I have to bring the boat back home anyways so either one will work. Thank you for any input. Any boat I've owned including my last Daytona came with them so this is something new to me.

Becka at The Main Stitch in Havasu did mine.

The real Money is in the labor, having one built properly. Full stainless is what you want (do not use straps front and rear). Use Sunbrella, not just regular canvas.

It's doubtful you will get something well built done that quickly, even this time of year. Good shops are busy year round.

Sound like you should wait until after the wedding to me. Congrats!

Maestro

Reaction score
Tony from Extreme trailers.
:D
Next all American canvas,
Tell either Scapegoat sent ya...

Brian

Last edited:

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Next year I am going to the boat show solo. It seems like when I go with a group I miss everything. I was there over 3 hours and never saw any canvas company [emoji849]

Thanks for the input everyone. My thought was, I’d assume is a little more expensive in havasu. I’m bringing it home anyways to work on a few things so thought since it was going to be down here anyways, might as well shop around down here.

I will make a few calls. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I would use Custom Canvas in Montclair.

I have the phone number for the person that does them for Martinez Interiors too if you want that source.

I talked to eliminator this weekend but the guy didn’t know the name. I was waiting to speak with Kenny but then he disappeared. I needed to see if he had molds for the gunnel of my year to fiberglass them to open it up. I may head to Martinez when it’s down here anyways. If you could send me the number that would be great!

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Becka at The Main Stitch in Havasu did mine.

The real Money is in the labor, having one built properly. Full stainless is what you want (do not use straps front and rear). Use Sunbrella, not just regular canvas.

It's doubtful you will get something well built done that quickly, even this time of year. Good shops are busy year round.

Sound like you should wait until after the wedding to me. Congrats!

We already figured it would be at least $2k for one so we already had put separate money aside for that. After using it all last season without one, she refuses to make one more trip without one lol. The sooner I can get one done the better!

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I talked to eliminator this weekend but the guy didn’t know the name. I was waiting to speak with Kenny but then he disappeared. I needed to see if he had molds for the gunnel of my year to fiberglass them to open it up. I may head to Martinez when it’s down here anyways. If you could send me the number that would be great!

Don’t do it

nowski

Reaction score
The soon to be Mrs. wants a Bimini installed yesterday, if it's your wedding gift to her get her the best bimini money can buy. Happy Wife Happy Life...

TripleB

Reaction score
And I thought this was about the island not the top:(

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We already figured it would be at least $2k for one so we already had put separate money aside for that. After using it all last season without one, she refuses to make one more trip without one lol. The sooner I can get one done the better!

Custom canvas would be 1200-1300 bucks..

Last edited:

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Martinez or the fiberglass gunnel inserts?

If your talking Martinez interiors in corona, I will never bring my boatback there for anything

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
And Monica is the best! I will not go anywhere else...until she retires.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
If your talking Martinez interiors in corona, I will never bring my boat back there for anything

A buddy just got his interior done there and said the same thing. I have no direct experience myself.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
King Kid in Valencia is who I would use if bringing it back to California

I would get it done in Havasu, if the boat is out there, and as long as the colors match the gel scheme of the boat, you won't have to worry about it when you update the interior.

King kid is good, did a full custom cover for my boat, not cheap but good quality.

wzuber

Reaction score
Seems like a bi-polar shop, one job amazing and everyone happy next nobody is happy.
prolly has to do with expectations and actual knowledge of what is required to produce a quality long lasting interior job. From my experience reading on this forum and others most people are looking for a deal and they "appear" to be a "deal" at a glance. At martinez you get what you pay for. I went there years ago, talked to "the main dude" (don't remember his name now) just to see exactly what it is they do, how, why, what price etc. It may look good when you pick it up but it won't likely stand the test of time in a well used boat. They are a boat flipper's ally ($$$$ maker) I have been involved in building boat interiors (wood work) for over 25 yrs. now as a side hobby for friends and family and the way I build stuff has proven to last easily 2-3 times longer than the vinyl. So, depending on use and maintenance, care etc, you will only require re-doing the vinyl as it gets used up. It's what's hidden under the vinyl that matters most and effects cost the most.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Everyone I have spoken with who went to Martinez says they wont go back and the experience was awful, took way longer than promised, boat sat outside uncovered for months, etc. For bimini's I have used In Stitches in Havasu, on my last couple for Daytonas, they ran about $1500 complete. I dont do the vent thing because I refuse to drive the boat with the top up, it just looks gay on a performance boat, we put it up when we stop.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I thought that was where @bullheadbully just went for his DW
All I can tell you is, When the old man used to work there, they were good, then the son took over, and if he is not there to watch them, you have the mess they made of my hatch, and left the key on till the battery was dead(added 80 hours to my run clock) then turn on the other battery, run it dead too, they told me 1 week, it ended up 3 weeks. my daughter had her 25 Daytona, full interior, sat there 4months, sometimes in the rain. Things that didn’t work when they finally got it back, Stereo, tach, various speakers, hatch, amp, .

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Everyone I have spoken with who went to Martinez says they wont go back and the experience was awful, took way longer than promised, boat sat outside uncovered for months, etc. For bimini's I have used In Stitches in Havasu, on my last couple for Daytonas, they ran about $1500 complete. I dont do the vent thing because I refuse to drive the boat with the top up, it just looks gay on a performance boat, we put it up when we stop.

That made me LOL. On my 25, I owned it for almost 2 years before I met my now fiance and never used the bimini simply because I had that same thought! It did have a vent which, I was impartial to. This time around, I do not think I will do one. Thanks for the insight.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Thanks again, everyone. I will be stopping in to talk to Louie either today or tomorrow and once all said and done, I will report back!