WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Binding Position?

slalom26

Reaction score
Can anyone with a Maha or similar 87" race ski tell me the distance from the tail of the ski to the back of their front binding? I'm having a custom wooden ski made up and need info on where to mount the bindings.

Thanks, Ben

WP_20160623_004.jpg

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Binding placement can be tricky. You will need to install the fin before starting. Years ago I was taught to get a hexagonal pencil and balance the ski on the pencil, mark where that is then put the heal of the front binding on that mark. On my 88" Torrens that is 35" from the rear to the back of the front binding.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Binding placement can be tricky. You will need to install the fin before starting. Years ago I was taught to get a hexagonal pencil and balance the ski on the pencil, mark where that is then put the heal of the front binding on that mark. On my 88" Torrens that is 35" from the rear to the back of the front binding.

I was going to mention balancing the ski as well, since it's a one off custom, but I never used a pencil, that's a great idea.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Are you doing anything to the edges of that ski to allow it to turn?

Boat211

Reaction score
My race skis are up at the lake so I can't help with that. I do know Maha places them via some mathematical formula. At least as a starting point. I'm not sure what it is though.

boat527

Reaction score
I have a 88in Maha Custom from Bob, mines at 35.5 from the tail.. We all ski a bit different though... So thats what I have.. Bob placed mine at 34.5 and it hopped like a pogo stick at speed. ( my speed.. which isnt saying much!)

slalom26

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys I'll go with the balancing trick.

I want to turn? Thought I was just going straight :) No plans to do much of anything to the edges. I rode the first ski this guy made for a friend of mine and I thought it felt good.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys I'll go with the balancing trick.

I want to turn? Thought I was just going straight :) No plans to do much of anything to the edges. I rode the first ski this guy made for a friend of mine and I thought it felt good.

When we race, there are turns involved, and if the ski turns well, you make faster laps.

slalom26

Reaction score
I tried the balance trick but don't think it's going to work for me, it was at 42" from the tail and that would put the binding way to far forward in my opinion. I set it at about 35" in the middle holes so I have some adjustment in either direction.

Also added 45 degree bevels to the edges thanks for the info! Trying ski soon will report back.

IMG_20160712_102427.jpg