WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bird Scooters

Richard.E

Reaction score
Have been on Balboa Peninsula for the last few days. These idiots are just openly crossing traffic in the street while texting. Doing 15 mph up & down the boardwalk swerving in and out of traffic. Somebodies gonna get hurt on these things.

Also, they just park them in the middle of the sidewalk all over the place waiting for the next person to rent it.

Supposedly San Francisco and Santa Monica are overrun with them.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bird-electric-scooter-cincinnati/

http://www.latimes.com/la-me-abcarian-scooters-2018072-story.html

Next one I see blocking the sidewalk I’m pulling a RD and tossing that sumbitch in the dumpster

IMG_5798.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
The wife and I stayed in Santa Monica across the street from the pier. Those scooters are all over the place and they are zipping around pretty quick, on the sidewalk, in and out of traffic was surprised I didn't see anyone eat pavement.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Shit......spray em with the water cannons. :D

DWC

Reaction score
They’re in San Diego Gaslamp also. One of my guys jumped on one to get back from dinner. Seemed to get a kick out of it. Kinda pissed when it wasn’t there when came out of the next place.

W.O.T

Reaction score
I live in downtown San Diego I know exactly what our talking about. I hate the rental bicycles more. Free bikes for the homeless they just pop the lock off the rear wheel and hook their trailers to them etc. I have ridden the scooters I will admit they are fun and convenient. But yes I am surprised I haven't seen anyone hurt on one yet.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Similar to the Lime bikes? Damn things are piled up on every corner in some areas. Surprised nobody has tried recycling them yet.

Richard.E

Reaction score
What shocks me the most about the scooter deal is that they do not have permits to operate in different cities across the country.

They just load up 100 of them and drop them off in busy areas in the morning.

No screening process either, don’t need a Drivers License, no way to prove if the person riding is over 18. doesn’t matter if you’re black out drunk, all you need is a phone and you’ll be zipping along the streets at 15 mph.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Do the NPB scooters appear to be rentals? Santa Monica has rental racks on some of their streets. Can be rented on the spot via a smart phone. No one from the rental company even there.

DWC

Reaction score
I live in downtown San Diego I know exactly what our talking about. I hate the rental bicycles more. Free bikes for the homeless they just pop the lock off the rear wheel and hook their trailers to them etc. I have ridden the scooters I will admit they are fun and convenient. But yes I am surprised I haven't seen anyone hurt on one yet.

Yeah, wife suggested my team should rent them as part of our meeting / team build. No chance i was taking the chance after sitting a Basic Pizza for a few hours drinking and inhaling pizza.

Downtown SD is awesome. I’d live there in a heartbeat One of my favorite spots to visit. Usually stay at the Kimpton. If my boss is in town it’s Water Grill for a feast. Basic if It’s on my dime.

shueman

Reaction score
They put them out in the morning then pick them up at night? Gotta be a big crew I'd think

Icky

Reaction score
They put them out in the morning then pick them up at night? Gotta be a big crew I'd think
Rode the bikes from dockweiler beach to Venice beach over fathers day we saw a convertible sebring filled with these things. Picking them up and dropping them off.

W.O.T

Reaction score
Yeah, wife suggested my team should rent them as part of our meeting / team build. No chance i was taking the chance after sitting a Basic Pizza for a few hours drinking and inhaling pizza.

Downtown SD is awesome. I’d live there in a heartbeat One of my favorite spots to visit. Usually stay at the Kimpton. If my boss is in town it’s Water Grill for a feast. Basic if It’s on my dime.

Nice I’m 2 blocks from Basic I love east village.

Reactions: DWC

W.O.T

Reaction score
You can sign up to be a charger of the scooters. You get paid anywhere between 5-20 per scooter to pick one up charge it and distribute them back on the street early in the morning. I have a neighbor that does it for extra cash. He can fit 19in his car. Pisses me off when he ties the elevators up moving scooters

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Went to Venice beach yesterday and we were riding them around. They are a lot of fun but yes I can see how they are a nuisance as well.

Someone customized one of them lol.

IMG_3451.jpg

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Maybe someone should tell those dumbasses that there is an invention called the pickup. Unbelievable shit.

shueman

Reaction score
I just don't see how these can be a "profitable" business at .15 / mi

Dalton

Reaction score
Similar to the Lime bikes? Damn things are piled up on every corner in some areas. Surprised nobody has tried recycling them yet.

in venice they're stripping the scooters down to the frame

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Was in Mission Beach yesterday, saw the SDPD ticketing a group of 4 on the Bayside Boardwalk that were on the scooters. I'm assuming for no helmets. Won't take much effort for a semi organized group of locals to start throwing those things in a dumpster or the bay.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Have been on Balboa Peninsula for the last few days. These idiots are just openly crossing traffic in the street while texting. Doing 15 mph up & down the boardwalk swerving in and out of traffic. Somebodies gonna get hurt on these things.

Also, they just park them in the middle of the sidewalk all over the place waiting for the next person to rent it.

Supposedly San Francisco and Santa Monica are overrun with them.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bird-electric-scooter-cincinnati/

http://www.latimes.com/la-me-abcarian-scooters-2018072-story.html

Next one I see blocking the sidewalk I’m pulling a RD and tossing that sumbitch in the dumpster

View attachment 668218

They block our jobsite in SD everyday, I huck em out into the median strip, make it interesting for the next renter....

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Was in Mission Beach yesterday, saw the SDPD ticketing a group of 4 on the Bayside Boardwalk that were on the scooters. I'm assuming for no helmets. Won't take much effort for a semi organized group of locals to start throwing those things in a dumpster or the bay.
I have already seen the bicycles and scooters in the water on Fiesta Island when we are down running buoys....and found several stripped to the frame over where the OTL fields are

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
look up the instagram page birdgraveyard

There are a few funny things on that page, mainly people falling. The rest is vandalism and it shows the lack of respect some people have in different parts of our country. Pretty sad.

Many of the people could easily see punishment, maybe jail time. As a business owner myself I can put myself in the position of Bird or Lime. If someone is tossing my assets and product into a lake or river, throwing them off a roof or putting them in a trash can damn right I'll be pissed.

Last edited:

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
There are a few funny things on that page, mainly people falling. The rest is vandalism and it shows the lack of respect some people have in different parts of our country. Pretty sad.

Many of the people could easily see punishment, maybe jail time. As a business owner myself I can put myself in the position of Bird or Lime. If someone is tossing my assets and product into a lake or river, throwing them off a roof or putting them in a trash can damn right I'll be pissed.

If you're a beach front homeowner and these scooters are just left over your lawn, blocking your driveway, left on the boardwalk etc. you may have a different view on these things.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
If you're a beach front homeowner and these scooters are just left over your lawn, blocking your driveway, left on the boardwalk etc. you may have a different view on these things.
Lived on the Newport peninsula, familiar with what might be left behind. But if its something of value I'm not going to vandalize it or demolish it. Since when is it ok to destroy someones property?

They were welcomed here where I live. Dont see them see in the river or dumpster here. Maybe its a west coast thing...

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Holy fucking shit
........life is so rough at the beach.:rolleyes::D
Lol

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I would like them if they stayed off the sidewalk and followed the rules of the road.

Being lake lice on pavement has much more dire consequences.

Someone is gonna get hurt or killed, and the resultant lawsuit will drive the regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DWC

Reaction score
02F5C2BB-9F01-416B-BD3B-6D3D834EA6E8.jpeg
Here’s how many are in Marina Del Rey today. Holy crap.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'd defer to my friend that machines a part for them, but as I understand it this gig is crazy profitable.. They GPS the scooters, and people pick them up recharge them and put them back out. Normal people, not company staff. You can literally leave them anywhere, and the next guy just opens his phone up and rents it and round and round it goes.

They don't care about the scooter itself because they've already made their $$$ off of it after it's rented a few times.. So junk it, and they'll just bring more.

RD

getreal

Reaction score
The profit is in the "value of the company", not what they bring it. (so I've been told).

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
The birds were everywhere in Newport, they have since" flown away" due to improper permitting from the city of Newport Beach's finest:) per their bird Rep.I tried to fire a few up for my boys to try just for kicks, they were all drained out or just f'd up from use.My boys and I had a blast Sunday looking for them."Where's the birds dadda" :)

Richard.E

Reaction score

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
My wife and I are not fans of the scooters but bike share is awesome. We use it every time we travel and it is so easy and cheap. We even rode them to the airport in San Diego with our bags in the baskets. It cost 1.00 when Uber and Lyft were 17.00! People do treat all those things like shit though. We have Lime Bike here in Reno and there are a few Instagram pages of photos of them thrown off bridges, in the river, in trashcans, etc. People are fucking assholes and have zero respect for anything any longer.

Like I said, not a huge fan of the scooters, but would prefer them over cars in some of these congested areas we visit.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
The 8 MPH speed limit has never been enforced in my many a year on the peninsula, electric or not. The surreys will always be on the boardwalk, well, because the folks that rent those POS simply don't GAF. The SEGWAY was designed for folks that have disabilities or similar. If your riding a SEGWAY and you are not disabled, or similar, your a lazy ftard.IMO....Carry on.

Richard.E

Reaction score
The 8 MPH speed limit has never been enforced in my many a year on the peninsula, electric or not. The surreys will always be on the boardwalk, well, because the folks that rent those POS simply don't GAF. The SEGWAY was designed for folks that have disabilities or similar. If your riding a SEGWAY and you are not disabled, or similar, your a lazy ftard.IMO....Carry on.

I agree with you. I have dozens of disabled customers that ride segways every single day because they didn’t wanna be regulated to a wheelchair and still wanted to remain active.
Also have done a lot of work with disabled veterans.
https://www.segs4vets.ngo/

Pretty cool program if you’ve never heard of it...

Different strokes for different folks.
BUDMAN would tell you the Segway is pretty damn useful when you need a push from Newport to HB. Lol

I typically ride my bike nowadays on the peninsula. For what it’s worth.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-newport-scooters-20180731-story.html

I’ll be at the city council meeting...
it’s a slippery slope from banning scooters on the bike paths & boardwalks to banning all electric vehicles which would hurt my segway tour business.

They should start with strictly enforcing the 8mph speed limit, banning the 4 person surrey bikes, etc.

It's a slippery slope voting for ones personal benefits over what's good for the greater good as well!

That said I can imagine these things are a freakin disaster, and I totally understand the frustration of them. I also think it's bullshit that you can get a helmet ticket on an electric scooter? WTF?

RD

Dalton

Reaction score
surprised tesla isn't involved with the birds yet?

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Beach people think they own the beach.Bunch of whinny bitches.