WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Black market dirt bike title

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
Who here has experience getting dirt bikes (or other vehicles) titled in the US that don't have a record of direct import?

I've got a bike with a Japan title (KTM EXC 500) that was shipped here in parts so the record of import shows it as parts. It was shipped here for racing purposes. But the owner in Japan wants to sell this bike in the US if possible. If I could get a US title for it, it would definitely be easier to sell.

I called Customs and they are telling me there is no way to get a US title. And even then, if we are using it for racing, it is only supposed to be here temporarily for a max of 1 year. But, the Customs guy made a comment making it sound like it is technically possible, but he wasn't going to tell me because they try and discourage "black market" vehicles. He said, yes people get it done, but Customs doesn't like it. LOL

This is not an attempt to sell this bike on RDP, we have a number of people already making reasonable offers if we can get a title.

Anyone?

nameisbond

Reaction score
I think you have to take it out of the US and re-import it.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I just went through a situation where I got a bonded title from DMV for my fiances rm125. Bike came from out of state where they do not title off-road bikes. Could one theoretically "lose" the japanese title and do a bonded title at their local DMV?

sirbob

Reaction score
I have gotten title in CA from the DMV buy listing it as a home built.

You bought a collection of parts legitimately and the taxes and import duties were paid (presumably) when they where shipped into the US.

Upon arrival into the US you - using your skills and craftsmanship - assembled them into a working motorcycle. Now take it to the DMV and fillout the paperwork to request you be granted a title for a "home built" motorcycle.

I have done it with a boat, a jet ski and an old kit car - I would think you can do it for a motorcycle??

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I have gotten title in CA from the DMV buy listing it as a home built.

You bought a collection of parts legitimately and the taxes and import duties were paid (presumably) when they where shipped into the US.

Upon arrival into the US you - using your skills and craftsmanship - assembled them into a working motorcycle. Now take it to the DMV and fillout the paperwork to request you be granted a title for a "home built" motorcycle.

I have done it with a boat, a jet ski and an old kit car - I would think you can do it for a motorcycle??

That should work in theory, although "home built" vehicles can be more difficult to insure.

sirbob

Reaction score
That should work in theory, although "home built" vehicles can be more difficult to insure.

Its a race bike - who insures those?

But I agree with your comment.

Edit on the reread - I guess its not actually a race bike?

But still, just because its harder to insure doesn't mean it can t be done. To me the bigger issue is if this bike is a special collector something or other the buyers may not want a "home built" title

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Kinda called a grey market vehicle.

Brian

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Its a race bike - who insures those?

But I agree with your comment.

Edit on the reread - I guess its not actually a race bike?

But still, just because its harder to insure doesn't mean it can t be done. To me the bigger issue is if this bike is a special collector something or other the buyers may not want a "home built" title

All of my race bikes are insured, just understand that there is no coverage if something happens in a race. I only have them covered for liability and comprehensive. If I wreck it, I wreck it, not gonna file a claim for that. Just want it replaced if it gets stolen and to not get sued if I hit someone in the desert.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Who here has experience getting dirt bikes (or other vehicles) titled in the US that don't have a record of direct import?

I've got a bike with a Japan title (KTM EXC 500) that was shipped here in parts so the record of import shows it as parts. It was shipped here for racing purposes. But the owner in Japan wants to sell this bike in the US if possible. If I could get a US title for it, it would definitely be easier to sell.

I called Customs and they are telling me there is no way to get a US title. And even then, if we are using it for racing, it is only supposed to be here temporarily for a max of 1 year. But, the Customs guy made a comment making it sound like it is technically possible, but he wasn't going to tell me because they try and discourage "black market" vehicles. He said, yes people get it done, but Customs doesn't like it. LOL

This is not an attempt to sell this bike on RDP, we have a number of people already making reasonable offers if we can get a title.

Anyone?
You're back! ?

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I had the same issue...I purchased 2002 YZF 250, 2006 YZF 450 & 250 from Canada.
I had a family member register them in Utah then had re-sold them with Utah title...

F-Cali!!!!

BULLSHIT!!!! I raced these bikes for four years.... then sold them... PIA with each transaction

Croz

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation with trying to sell my bike(2010 Kawi 450). It was intended as a race frame and there is literally no VIN, I doesn't exist in the system. I'm going to sell it cheap if I can but don't want to open a can of worms trying to register it

HavaToon

Reaction score
Look into a bond title, it’s the same thing used for registering abandoned vehicles without a title.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Register it in Mexico and then register it here. There are companies in the border towns that can do it for you.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Are they gonna do the red sticker, green sticker thing on it? Or is that only for 2 strokes?

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Good suggestions on alternates.

nameisbond

Reaction score
The proper way is going through customs again. The DMV needs the DOT and EPA clearance letter. The serial number will not be an American sequence wise and you could get in serious trouble with the EPA if not done properly.

nameisbond

Reaction score
You get the DOT and EPA letters from US customs. Hence you'll need to reimport it to be 100% legal and safe.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
Kinda called a grey market vehicle.

Brian
Thank you for you positive contribution to this thread. I didn't think Nazi camp got out until eight? Did you decide to skip arts and crafts?

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
Tweaker? Noted.

You don't know me at all sir. Just trying to help.

All the best!!!

Yep...I don't know you at all! And RD doesn't sux. LMAO! Stay classy San Diego, and thanks for stopping buy!