WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Black mastic removal?

Wbinder

Reaction score
Anyone have any good tips and tricks for removing this stuff? What’s the best solvent to put down?
IMG_9416.jpg

O on umm I m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherpa

Reaction score
I can say this: use breathing protection, IE: respirator....... ALOT OF MASTICS FROM THE 70'S--80'S CONTAIN ASBESTOS..........

I sandblasted that crap from my floors in a converted garage room using respirator, goggles, etc and a blasting helmet. it wasn't fun.
end result was great though.

--Sherpa

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Try Home Depot they might have something or White cap , is it hot ? Or do we care 🤔😉

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Brake cleaner, like the 5gl type you put into sure-shot cans. Definite health hazards, no matter what.
At least we all have a bunch of masks these days.

petie6464

Reaction score
If that bean-e-doo works as advertised, that's your answer.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
We do it about 3 times a week. Asbestos abatement work. So it may be asbestos.

The way we do is either by hand or with a floor buffer. We apply a chemical mastic remover, bean e doo works well, 747 setenall works ok as well.

The floor buffer, we have a wire wheel for the bulk removal then stripping pads with chemical.

By hand we use 4 or 8" scrapers to remove the bulk and then mastic remover again with scrub pads called doddle bugs.

Both methods we squeegee the floor to contain the liquid and either hit with absorbent or rags to absorb.

You'll want to clean the floor after too with a TSP.

Problem is you usually have some dark spots left (more by hand method) but it's always darker around the corners of room.

So stained concrete will probably not look like you are intending.

Last edited:

Javajoe

Reaction score
The goal is to have sealed and stained concrete floors

LOL I thought of that after. You will have to grind the floor to get to some good stuff. Shit seeps in especially if you remove it with wet chemicals

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
LOL I thought of that after. You will have to grind the floor to get to some good stuff. Shit seeps in especially if you remove it with wet chemicals
Yup. And along the walls and door areas are the worst.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
We do it about 3 times a week. Asbestos abatement work. So it may be asbestos.

The way we do is either by hand or with a floor buffer. We apply a chemical mastic remover, bean e doo works well, 747 setenall works ok as well.

The floor buffer, we have a wire wheel for the bulk removal then stripping pads with chemical.

By hand we use 4 or 8" scrapers to remove the bulk and then mastic remover again with scrub pads called doddle bugs.

Both methods we squeegee the floor to contain the liquid and either hit with absorbent or rags to absorb.

You'll want to clean the floor after too with a TSP.

Problem is you usually have some dark spots left (more by hand method) but it's always darker around the corners of room.

So stained concrete will probably not look like you are intending.
👆This Dude knows his shit. Been laying tile for over 30 years, he nailed it.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
It's premature to say it contains asbestos. The age of the installation would be helpful in determining that.
100% true but age is rough on mastic it was used week passed 78.

The process I explained for the actual removal and the end result are the same.

I can explain the difference when it comes to what it takes to properly contain/remove it if it continues asbestos but that's a boring story for another time lol.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Rent a floor grinder from Home Depot. I just did it three weeks ago and did a whole house in one day.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Exposed concrete floor and the saw cutter made overcuts! Was it saw cut dry? It looks like there was no slurry or the vacuum guy has OCD.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Rent a floor grinder from Home Depot. I just did it three weeks ago and did a whole house in one day.
If it Asbestos I don't think I'd want to straight up grind it but there are ways to do that safely as well.

By hand its pretty difficult to get fibers to release. With a low speed buffer and keeping things wet its not that bad either. When you introduce machine it's technically made friable per regs. But out of the hundreds and hundreds of floor projects I've done I hardly ever see our personal samples come back elevated with either method.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I had THICK black adhesive under the parquet wood floors in my rental. Bean-e-doo from white cap did the trick.

Pour it on, agitate with brush on long handle and floor scraper, scrape it into a bucket with a drywall knife.

Re apply, agitate with a brush and wipe it up with old bath towels worked best for me.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this?

If you do use this. Do yourself a favor and use a Hudson sprayer lol. This shit ain't cheap and I would be real pissed if I cought my guys dumping it like lol.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
FYI If it was 9"x 9" tile, than it probably contains asbestos. If it was 12" x 12" tile there is no asbestos.
Just fyi. I do this for a living. I see 12x12 tiles with that contain asbestos in the tile every week, mastic as well.

You just never know.

If it was only in 9x9 tiles and it's mastic, most abatement companies would have ran out of work a long time ago lol.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Just fyi. I do this for a living. I see 12x12 tiles with that contain asbestos in the tile every week, mastic as well.

You just never know.

If it was only in 9x9 tiles and it's mastic, most abatement companies would have ran out of work a long time ago lol.

Good to know, as that's what I was always told by the asbestos companies I work with.

Wbinder

Reaction score
If you do use this. Do yourself a favor and use a Hudson sprayer lol. This shit ain't cheap and I would be real pissed if I cought my guys dumping it like lol.

Is bean e doo sold at stores like Home Depot Lowe’s?

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Good to know, as that's what I was always told by the asbestos companies I work with.
Super common misconception. Just like the, we don't need to test my house or building was built in 1985. Then they test it and a bunch of shit had asbestos lol.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Is bean e doo sold at stores like Home Depot Lowe’s?

Where do you live?

I know 747 is sold at HD but not sure about Beenie. We use a supplier. They are all over so maybe your are close to one.

Last edited:

Wbinder

Reaction score
Where do you live?

I know 747 is sold at HD but not sure about Beenie. We use a supplier. They are all over so maybe your are close to one.

In Exeter ca near Fresno Visalia area

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Oh, believe me, I know. Lol. Worked as a mechanic, and in construction, for way too long... PPE? Lol.
Yup. Even when it's not supposed to be there is there.

It's just a part of life for most of who work in trades. Most of the time ignorance is bliss when it comes to it.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Had similar stuff with my floor. Original 1976 install, Government built home, so I know that it wasn't asbestos. Scraped as much as I could. Scrubbed with rubbing alcohol to neutralize any stickiness, and laid tile over it. Was done 10 years ago and no issues with adhesion or popping.

426803_373083926051936_1072767542_n.jpg

431263_379011835459145_1165859630_n.jpg

467268_398185273541801_969814976_o.jpg

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Had similar stuff with my floor. Original 1976 install, Government built home, so I know that it wasn't asbestos. Scraped as much as I could. Scrubbed with rubbing alcohol to neutralize any stickiness, and laid tile over it. Was done 10 years ago and no issues with adhesion or popping.

View attachment 1001749

View attachment 1001751

View attachment 1001750
The first 5 years I did this kind of work was on military bases and government build buildings and schools. They are full of Asbestos.

But again sounds like you did it all by hand anyway, so even it w were asbestos the fibers are bound tight to vinyl tile and mastic. It take serious effort to make it friable.

Anyone that has done remolding work and construction or worked on enough cars has been exposed to it IMO. It's just a part of it life.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
The first 5 years I did this kind of work was on military bases and government build buildings and schools. They are full of Asbestos.

But again sounds like you did it all by hand anyway, so even it w were asbestos the fibers are bound tight to vinyl tile and mastic. It take serious effort to make it friable.

Anyone that has done remolding work and construction or worked on enough cars has been exposed to it IMO. It's just a part of it life.

Concur that military bases and a lot of government buildings had a ton of asbestos in them, I was on enough ships, boats and in old buildings to have sucked in more than my share. As far as my house, my brother had it built through the Farm Home Administration, and he kept the spec/build sheet on it. Specifically called for asbestos free components. From insulation to wall board and everything in between.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Concur that military bases and a lot of government buildings had a ton of asbestos in them, I was on enough ships, boats and in old buildings to have sucked in more than my share. As far as my house, my brother had it built through the Farm Home Administration, and he kept the spec/build sheet on it. Specifically called for asbestos free components. From insulation to wall board and everything in between.
Lol exactly. Shit was everywhere.

Sweet. They were way ahead of the curve!