WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Black tank ice cleaning

propcheck

Reaction score
Ok let me be honest with you all I am obsessed with clean tanks black and grey. I have Tried almost everything but I want to share my favorite one with you all.

At the end of a boondocking trip I put about 5 pounds of ice into the black tank for the drive home and I swear to you the tank is cleaner and the dump looks like I ran a macerated. The sloshing around on the roadways pulverizes it’s all And scrapes the bottom clean. After two wand cleanings I put in a gallon of water and an enzyme pack and when I go to use it again no tank stank.

what are your tips and tricks for “a good dump”😂

Singleton

Reaction score
Ok let me be honest with you all I am obsessed with clean tanks black and grey. I have Tried almost everything but I want to share my favorite one with you all.

At the end of a boondocking trip I put about 5 pounds of ice into the black tank for the drive home and I swear to you the tank is cleaner and the dump looks like I ran a macerated. The sloshing around on the roadways pulverizes it’s all And scrapes the bottom clean. After two wand cleanings I put in a gallon of water and an enzyme pack and when I go to use it again no tank stank.

This. Works wonders.
I need a better trick when my trailer is parked for months and being used on the weekends only for the summer.

Icky

Reaction score
I've used the ice trick in my old trailer a few times. Now that my new trailer has the black tank sprayer I don't. Fill it up till full and dump a few times. Fill it back up with a few gallons of water and some chemicals and its ready for the next trip.

Using plenty of water while dumping makes a difference too.

spark2678

Reaction score
x10000000000000000000
Agree. If it stanks I get it, time to sanitize a little. Other than that I just hook the hose up to the black tank sprayer and wait for about 5 minutes until I see the clear water coming thru the dump hose 90 and done!

merc_400r

Reaction score
I never quite understood the desire for a squeeky-clean tank that I poop in 🤷‍♂️💩😊

Serious. My friend poured purple degresser down his tanks to clean them while driving, just a cup full. I told him that stuff is bad for the tanks, makes them brittle. Guess what, 3 trips later, leaking tanks from cracks. 1 year old coach. He was so pissed.

TeamGreene

Reaction score

I was told about the ice trick years ago but with some Tide detergent also.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I added a third valve where the hose connects, after both black & grey valves. My tank emptying sequence is as follows: Step 1, dump black. Step 2, close third valve. Step 3, open grey to backflush into black. Step 4 close grey valve & open 3rd valve and dump black again. Repeat 2 through 4 one more time and then empty the grey. I've never added enzymes or cleaners and I lived in my coach for nearly 3 years, never an odor issue. I have used the ice trick, but I did it with a dumped tank. I put about 5 gallons of clean water in and then 40 lbs of ice before leaving for a long glamis weekend with the idea being the agitation and sloshing of the cubes would break up any cling-ons. I couldn't visualize 5lbs doing much of anything in there, but I do have a 50 gallon black tank.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I liked to do that and it seemed to clean it also, I saw a Youtube video of a guy that built a clear tank and drove all thru town with ice in it and it didn't really clean it that good.

Probably doesn't do your sensors any good either.

Reactions: DWC

hman442

Reaction score
The way I heard it, the ice is supposed to clean the sensors. So they read correctly ??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
my sensor's never work right. Maybe it will help?
I think they make cleaning solutions just for that reason? I've never had an issue with mine.

Shit in the RV park bathrooms...keeps the black tank nice and clean.

What's an RV park?? 🤣 I can count the times on one hand I've been to a full hook up spot. 99.9% of my camping is dry.

ProSport2 030.jpg

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I always add a bunch more water before we head out. Our storage has a dump so I will take my time any flush it good. Got to make sure to get all the corn out 🤣

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I had these guys come clean ours about a month ago.
It's not something I plan to do often, but since we purchased our coach used I figured it was good preventative maintenance.

Arizona RV Holding Tanks

EmpirE231

Reaction score
My black tank sensor reads wayyy off... which sucks because the rear macerator toilet stops working if the sensor reads that it is full.

Tried the ice trick before the last trip, but didn't seem to help. Gotta figure out if there is a way to re-adjust sensors

SIK-06

Reaction score
I liked to do that and it seemed to clean it also, I saw a Youtube video of a guy that built a clear tank and drove all thru town with ice in it and it didn't really clean it that good.
Pretty sure he should have fill up that tank half way with water to begin with.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
My black tank sensor reads wayyy off... which sucks because the rear macerator toilet stops working if the sensor reads that it is full.

Tried the ice trick before the last trip, but didn't seem to help. Gotta figure out if there is a way to re-adjust sensors
I saw a video online where the guy filled his black tank 1/3 to 1/2 full, added a 1/2 cup each of Borax and Dawn dish soap. Then drive to your destination (Road Flush), and use the tank like normal until full.

It took him several trips, but he sensors started working.

The ice treatment has worked for me before. I tried the road flush once. You could also have a sensor or 2 that are bad, and not just gummed up.

Screenshot_20211014-223133_Chrome.jpg

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score

IDK, my sensors are just 4 electrodes and an anode drilled into the tank. When the turds reach the first electrode, it’s 1/4 full. 2nd electrode it’s 1/2 full. 3rd electrode 3/4 full and when the crap hits the 4th electrode that means go shit in a hole

kat_williams

Reaction score
Serious. My friend poured purple degresser down his tanks to clean them while driving, just a cup full. I told him that stuff is bad for the tanks, makes them brittle. Guess what, 3 trips later, leaking tanks from cracks. 1 year old coach. He was so pissed.

This is true. Any degreaser with butyl, Sodium Hydroxide, etc in it will dry out the plastic and make it brittle. You won't notice it until you start driving it and the vibrations will cause micro cracks to form and cause the tanks to leak. They make special cleaners for the tanks or usually anything citrus based is safe for the plastics. The ice trick is usually used to get rid of the poop pyramids, it works great for that. Especially if it has dried that way.

Icky

Reaction score

Have you tried using a wand? I made one out of some pvc but they sell them. Valterra A01-0184VP Master Blaster RV Tank Cleaning Wand with Power Nozzle , White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYDO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_XEK27PC9G1RDAQAET5HS

oldschool

Reaction score
I recently bought this flushing wand and it works well.

This guys does a good comparison on the different flushing devices.

When I had my trailer I had a wand deal like this, sensors always worked and never got clogged. I had 3 women putting every fucking thing down that toilet. When I stored it I would put at least 5 gallons of water in each tank with some of the black tank stuff. Never smelled bad.

HotRod82

Reaction score
all I ever do is pump lots of water into the black tank before dumping it to thin it out as much as possible. In 30 years of rv ownership I've never actually cleaned a black or grey tank. I use my rv often, maybe that makes a difference.

77charger

Reaction score
Been doing it for years.not often anymore but here and there helps my sensors for some reason.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Sold my Toyhauler in June of 2020. Best way yet to never deal with a black tank again.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
I leave chopsticks from china buffet in the head so people can break up their booty bombs before flushing.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have the wand that you hook a hose to and run down from the shitter. Works way better than the version hooked to the black tank. I do it every three dumps or so, really loosens up stuck on corn and other items.

amberkiza

Reaction score
Fill it up till full and dump a few times. Fill it back up with a few gallons of water and some chemicals and its ready for the next trip.

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I never quite understood the desire for a squeeky-clean tank that I poop in 🤷‍♂️💩😊
THE problem is when it's not kept clean the sensors quit working,.. then you never know how full it is ,.. they get a build up on the side walls, doing the ice trick keeps the crud off...when you dump and the gauge says it's half or quarter full... problems are starting..

Captain Dan

Reaction score
I had some issues with clogging in toy hauler at one time and called this guy in Havasu. I don't recall the fee, but he was reasonable, responsive and knowledgeable.

River Runnin

Reaction score
I've been a Happy Camper product user for years. It just isn't the same anymore-imo- so after a bit of build up I tried this product!

https://www.amazon.com/Unique-41H-1...17317&sprefix=unique+rv+digest,aps,445&sr=8-7

Emptied the tank -- Added 5 gallons HOT water and a full bottle of the Unique. We used a LOT of water to fill the tank faster (a full bowl each use)
It did a pretty good job! So did it a second time! ... It has now replaced the Happy Camper product, and seems to work much better.

Spanky's carries their whole line of products.