WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Blackhawk Drives

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Suppose you had a brand new, never installed or used Blackhawk sitting in the corner of your shop.
What would something like this Holy Grail find be worth?
What about Blackhawk drive props?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Anyone?
Am I dating myself for knowing what one is? Lol

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Props are likely the issue. They’re a great drive but it’s expensive to tryout prop combos.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
You’re the person we’d all look to for an answer to this question [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well damn it. You’re not helping:D
This is all theoretical of course.

Ok, suppose I told you I had one.
It’s brand new, old stock.
What would you be willing to pay for it? If, you were a guy in a position to either use it now or, knowing what it is, stash it for the next build.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Props are likely the issue. They’re a great drive but it’s expensive to tryout prop combos.
Props too. Suppose I had several sets. Not necessarily new props, but perfectly good.

americanspeedco

Reaction score
Props too. Suppose I had several sets. Not necessarily new props, but perfectly good.
There was one NOS posted on Craigslist inland empire a couple weeks ago for 6k. I know props are hard to find and have seen them sell for 2k. Bad ass drives if you have one.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Zero slip drives, they haul ass. Problem is the x dimension is way higher then a standard bravo so you can’t swap them without redoing the transom.

hallett21

Reaction score
So eliminator still has one? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jmp

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
only thing i have ever seen one on was a 22 daytona. I ran pretty good

Jmp

Reaction score
Max machine worx makes a conversion for the black hawk to spin a #6 prop.

Jmp

Reaction score
upload_2018-7-12_22-6-10.jpeg

bagged97taco

Reaction score
There is one on Phx craigslist no prop for $5500. Supposed to be freshly rebuilt but has been sitting

farmo83

Reaction score
A guy in our hot boat group has a superboat with one with about 650hp to it and it screams. I think he has 30's on it and has bitched for years his boat would run faster but they don't make any bigger props.

farmo83

Reaction score
I think it would be cool to try one on my RT but I am still working on getting a -2 dialed in.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Surface piercing drive. Extremely little drag. Fast idle. Bravo 1 upper bravo III lower. High x dimension and they like to provide transom lift. For a boat hull with natural bow rise or a heavy ass end these drives work very well. Have heard 5-10 mph faster than a bravo but havent seen it in person and anytime someone tells me that something went 5-10 mph faster than before I say wheres the GPS recall. Can be a bitch to get on plane without the right amount of HP. Props will be the issue. It is a dual prop drive and finding a matching pair can be hard these days. They came in 27, 29 and 31. Hill Marine might be able to do a pair and Hering propellers and Hoss propellers used to make them as well not sure if they still do.

By all accounts these are great drives, fast and because of their low drag extremely efficient. Takes the right hull to make them work though.

Lavey 29

Reaction score
they are not for every hull bottom. Very few V hulls can use it. Small Donzi had them. the P 29 Scarab had them and the hull bottom had to changed to adapt the Blackhawks. If I recall Larry Smith did that for the P 29 s. Also Hoss no longer does anything with the Blackhawk Props. I have a Blackhawk and one set of props for it. In 1996 a 28 DDC brand New Challenger had one installed with help from hull designer Harry Schoell. They did a bunch of testing with really good results. With that said I can not think of to many more V hulls that had a Blackhawk installed from the OEM builder. The Blackhawks were more suited for CAT hulls. I know back in the 90 s Eliminator Cat hulls tested some installs

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I’ve seen several Daytona 22’s with them and one 26

Gelcoater

Reaction score
only thing i have ever seen one on was a 22 daytona. I ran pretty good
Fastest I’ve ever been on water, 22 Daytona with the black, 502efi (think mid 90s long side Ram deal) with the Blackhawk drive combo, with a centrifugal supercharger, Paxton or Vortech? I don’t remember.
3 guys in the boat, all about 180ish pounds, no recollection of how much fuel in the tanks.
Brent Leach driving, some computer guy with a computer connected to the engines ECM in the back seat and me in passenger seat holding the radar gun.
114.5 bouncing the rev limiter. No idea on props. And that was sticky Elsinore water.
At the time that exact package was cheaper than buying the blue 525 combo and would walk away from a 525 equipped 22 like it was anchored, lol.
It was a really cool package.

Cgrohe223

Reaction score
The like button isn’t cool enough for this one.
@RiverDave we need a Fuckin Awesome button.

What kind of numbers you seeing? Mods? Props?

Just a rebuilt 502 running 27pitch props. I’ve only had it to 3/4 throttle around 80. She’s for sale

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Just a rebuilt 502 running 27pitch props. I’ve only had it to 3/4 throttle around 80. She’s for sale

Nice!
Go ahead!
What do you want for it?
Some folks out there have no idea what you have there, they didn’t make too many of them, although they’re the most common application most of us see.
You guys reeding this?
Throw a blower on this thing and have a stealth, all under the hatch 110+mph sleeper. ;)

Cgrohe223

Reaction score
Nice!
Go ahead!
What do you want for it?
Some folks out there have no idea what you have there, they didn’t make too many of them, although they’re the most common application most of us see.
You guys reeding this?
Throw a blower on this thing and have a stealth, all under the hatch 110+mph sleeper. ;)

Asking 30 boats super clean as well

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Suppose you had a brand new, never installed or used Blackhawk sitting in the corner of your shop.
What would something like this Holy Grail find be worth?
What about Blackhawk drive props?

Do you?!

I'm currently looking for a Blackhawk and props for my Ultra build. I currently have a perfectly good bravo1 but can't resist the idea of having a surface drive on it.

If anyone is looking to get rid of one that's sitting in their garage please let me know!

The drives are out there and most parts for them are still avaialable but like was earlier mentioned, the props are what are hard to find.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Do you?!

I'm currently looking for a Blackhawk and props for my Ultra build. I currently have a perfectly good bravo1 but can't resist the idea of having a surface drive on it.

If anyone is looking to get rid of one that's sitting in their garage please let me know!

The drives are out there and most parts for them are still avaialable but like was earlier mentioned, the props are what are hard to find.
Let’s just say if you looked in the right place a month ago, you would have struck gold.
Today, you’d have to dig somewhere else.
The point of this thread was to prove to someone what the value of a drive like this is.

So. Help me out here.
What would you expect to be a realistic figure to pay for a drive that is not a rebuild and had zero hours on?
5k?
8?
10?

Props? What are realistic prices for good used props in the real world?

Cgrohe223

Reaction score
Let’s just say if you looked in the right place a month ago, you would have struck gold.
Today, you’d have to dig somewhere else.
The point of this thread was to prove to someone what the value of a drive like this is.

So. Help me out here.
What would you expect to be a realistic figure to pay for a drive that is not a rebuild and had zero hours on?
5k?
8?
10?

Props? What are realistic prices for good used props in the real world?

Someone said they would pay 2 grand for my props... just sayin haha

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Well, I know where you live and my drive rebuild is gonna cost $6k so you better hope those props
Are welded on

Cgrohe223

Reaction score
Well, I know where you live and my drive rebuild is gonna cost $6k so you better hope those props
Are welded on

Hope you have a big enough socket to take em off cause I have yet to go buy a socket that fits haha

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Mercruiser prop socket, part # 8054571

I've seen good lightly used drives going for the $2500-3500 mark (less than 10hrs of run time claimed)

As far as props, you can find guys out there that have them advertised for sale but they never put a price on them. It's more of a make an offer type of deal, but I suspect for just the props, the best price your going to pay is at the $2000 mark. There are better deals to be had if you buy packages off of a dead or reported twin.

I think I saw a guy advertising 2 Blackhawks with 1 set of mismatched props for $7000 on offshoreonly