WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Blackstone griddles

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Anyone have one and anything you don’t like about it? I feel like I would get a lot more use out of it than my bbq. Most “bbqing” I do in my smoker anyways. Bacon etc all outside on the griddle not making a mess or smelling up the house. I currently have a kenmore 5 burner with a nat gas conversion and it’s in decent shape. I’d probably to the conversion to the griddle as well and I noticed they have a kit which is nice.

One thing I’ve noticed is that people making YouTube videos with em use a LOT of oil or butter. I’m guessing you never want things to stick as it’ll mean a re seasoning. Also what happens to the grill if you don’t use it for a month? Does the oil etc get all nasty and moldy?

967CC2EA-48E7-4498-BFCD-6CDBF8AF3B0D.jpeg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a 2 burner one and love it. I can make the whole meal. Bacon,mushrooms.onion then throw on the meat and then buns. All on one thing.
I have done stirfry's with fried rice. And definitely bacon hashbrowns and eggs. Cleaning I just use a big cup of water throw it on and scrape it clean.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
They are great. Breakfast pancakes, lunch fish, and dinner steaks. The key is to clean it off after each cook. A grill will burn off while heating up but this is more like a pan or cast iron skillet that needs to be wiped down after cooking.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Got rid of my gas grill a while ago.. the smoker hardly gets attention anymore.. whip up killer tacos..burgers..stir fry..breakfast.. Blackstone does it all. I have the 28" and do so much on it. Looking at a 36" real soon. I use mine at least 4 times a week.

Spot

Reaction score
They are on sale right now... I am buying one.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I’ve got one. Love it. My pellet grill hardly gets used now.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Anyone have one and anything you don’t like about it? I feel like I would get a lot more use out of it than my bbq. Most “bbqing” I do in my smoker anyways. Bacon etc all outside on the griddle not making a mess or smelling up the house. I currently have a kenmore 5 burner with a nat gas conversion and it’s in decent shape. I’d probably to the conversion to the griddle as well and I noticed they have a kit which is nice.

One thing I’ve noticed is that people making YouTube videos with em use a LOT of oil or butter. I’m guessing you never want things to stick as it’ll mean a re seasoning. Also what happens to the grill if you don’t use it for a month? Does the oil etc get all nasty and moldy?

View attachment 872447
There is a good deal going on for a sweet set up that is exclusive to ace hardware . I'm probably grabbing this ok new tomorrow. Hood is a must!
Screenshot_20200501-202237_Chrome.jpg

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Wife bought a 28" for her birthday and loves it. Mades one hell of a mess on our deck when the wind is blowing. We need to get a hard for the grill , the model she bought didn't come with one.
20200501_204024.jpg

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Havasteve

Reaction score
Use any nut oil to maintain the griddle. Veggie oil will go bad. Griddles are great for burgers.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
they are awesome. watch videos on how to clean them. for long term storage mineral oil (a very very thin app) will do nicely

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Love mine. We use it about twice a week or more. My wife got me a folding serving table that goes all the way around both sides and back. We use it in our shop, I found that Avocado Oil works great and doesn’t smoke the place up.

yz450mm

Reaction score
I bought a standalone 2-Burner Last Summer for camping trips, and it was awesome. I then moved that to the back patio at home and did a natural gas conversion, and bought a tabletop version for the toy hauler. These griddles are awesome, I very rarely use the big smoker or gas grill here at the house.

I probably use mine at the house at least four to five times a week, for everything from bacon and eggs to Burgers and carne asada.

Get a good griddle utensil set, fill a couple of squirt bottles with a good quality oil of your choice, and get to it. To clean it, get it nice and hot and pour some water on there, then scrape it with a scraper while the water is boiling and evaporating. Wipe it down, apply oil, and you're off and running.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

24ultra

Reaction score
I purchased a Camp Chef version similar to the Blackstone cooktop. I preferred the Camp Chef because I can remove the cooktop and it has a BBQ grate below. It makes it versatile to cook things like tri-tip and ribs as well. Love the cooktop though A085CCDD-E88B-483A-8A66-8D46ABB2C4E8.jpeg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Going to look into one myself. The question that I have is how is the heat on the units? Used a Weber charcoal grill for 30 years. Liked the quality of the fire, Disliked the prep time on the lighting of the charcoal. 2 years ago switched out to gas. I am disappointed on the heat of the unit. I’d like to be able to have a heat that will sear things on the outside and rare on the inside if desired. How do these units fair in that way? Also would like to hard line it and not have to refill tanks.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Going to look into one myself. The question that I have is how is the heat on the units? Used a Weber charcoal grill for 30 years. Liked the quality of the fire, Disliked the prep time on the lighting of the charcoal. 2 years ago switched out to gas. I am disappointed on the heat of the unit. I’d like to be able to have a heat that will sear things on the outside and rare on the inside if desired. How do these units fair in that way? Also would like to hard line it and not have to refill tanks.

You will be fine, it's a cast iron skillet so give it a few minutes to heat up. Once it's got some heat in it, you can adjust it to your preference. If you want hot, it will give you hot, just give it a couple extra minutes.

Think of it as a Teppan Grill that we used to be able to go to... the chef would come out and light the griddle, then come back 5 minutes later with the ingredients.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

JFMFG

Reaction score
I have the lever one not sure of the size 30 some inches 4 burners I love it but then again I use it for asada or pollo asada only. I have my 10k Viking bbq for what seems to be only burgers and hot dogs now what a waste and a traeger for chicken steak and tri tip. I love the black stone just make sure you properly season it cleaning it isn’t that bad as long as you do it right after you take your food off takes about 5 mins max. I use a little oil once it’s fired up and hot not much to make sure stuff doesn’t stick.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have the 28” one I cook everything but bbq chicken and big meats on it. Stir fry no problem breakfast scramble you got it. Pancakes perfect.
Clean Up after cooking is key dont wait until the grill is cold. Just warm put a light coat of oil down wipe up and store.

Reactions: E4L

Singleton

Reaction score
Have the 1 burner for the camper.
One of the best additions we did

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

View attachment 872447

We are using flat iron grills for home use more than our traditional grate BBQ now, and for big functions at work a large flat iron grill like the one pictured is all we use now. Very versatile and really not that hard to keep clean.

We keep it seasoned but do a good wipe down on it prior to cooking.

707dog

Reaction score
I have a 2 burner one and love it. I can make the whole meal. Bacon,mushrooms.onion then throw on the meat and then buns. All on one thing.
I have done stirfry's with fried rice. And definitely bacon hashbrowns and eggs. Cleaning I just use a big cup of water throw it on and scrape it clean.
yup all that... i find myself using more than my bbq when we go camping, still love me some charcoal cooked tri tip and carne asada tho

Hava-Schiada

Reaction score

View attachment 872447

I have one. Great for breakfast, Philly Cheese Steaks, and fried rice. Definitely keeps the mess out of your kitchen. I bought a cover and a
ABE03F92-11ED-46D6-A025-A17EF72424F4.jpeg
B70C92F5-2B9F-44D5-ABAF-943606CC8474.jpeg
carrying bag for the griddle. That way the cook top is stored in the garage out of the element, while the cart can stay covered outside.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. They had an “air fryer” version and I didn’t really think I would use it. Stuck with just the pro 28. Grabbed the nat gas conversion and a cover. Time to season it!

EF54D1D9-ED5A-41F8-94DC-545C3B5C69E0.jpeg

C32D4DD8-9D46-4386-B4B2-CB7387F47AE7.jpeg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You know..... I wonder if this could be a good work around for the "no bbq" rule in our apartment complex.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

77charger

Reaction score
I have the 17 inch version and love it the only drawback is when its a strong breeze the wind blows between the flame and the grill so it takes forever to cook as the grill doesnt get hot easy fix is to make a wind blocker around the grill i just havent dont it yet.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. They had an “air fryer” version and I didn’t really think I would use it. Stuck with just the pro 28. Grabbed the nat gas conversion and a cover. Time to season it!

View attachment 872846
View attachment 872848
I’ve got the “pro” version too. I think it was a Walmart only thing when I got it. Having the lid, magnetic strip, and hooks for all the tools is real nice. You’ll love it, we have people over for brunch now just I can cook on it lol.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I keep a temp gun out with the griddle cuz I had a problem with it being too hot and burning shit. For searing steaks, I’ll turn 2 of the 3 burners on high for a couple mins and there’s no problem getting it to 6-700 degrees for a nice sear.

wallnutz

Reaction score
I have the 17 inch version and love it the only drawback is when its a strong breeze the wind blows between the flame and the grill so it takes forever to cook as the grill doesnt get hot easy fix is to make a wind blocker around the grill i just havent dont it yet.
Have the same problem with the wind, especially camping. Always have to bring something to block it out. Other than that we use the shit out of it, matter of fact just about ready to start making tacos.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I keep a temp gun out with the griddle cuz I had a problem with it being too hot and burning shit. For searing steaks, I’ll turn 2 of the 3 burners on high for a couple mins and there’s no problem getting it to 6-700 degrees for a nice sear.

That is great to know. I like the tip of the temp gun!!!! I definitely don’t have that need with our weak Kitchen Aid grill LOL

Reactions: DWC

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
3 burner camp chef pro with cast iron griddle that covers two burners use it all the time I like burgers better this way!

ka0tyk

Reaction score
First cook. I love how hot it gets and that “char” it gives the food. Thanks for the tip on cleaning by pouring water on it hot. I pushed the mess into the little hole in the back and rubbed it with some oil and it looked nice and shiney again.

767B6345-C1D2-424B-9A9D-45014544E6B8.jpeg
18EF5912-EBCB-4D33-AF96-F7ABC2EF5FFD.jpeg
9B6436FF-1E00-4404-BE3D-BFB34E5CCAA6.jpeg

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Did you do the whole seasoning process with flaxseed oil first?

I bought the seasoning stuff from Blackstone and did it 5x. You can see how black the grill is in the pic.

77charger

Reaction score
Have the same problem with the wind, especially camping. Always have to bring something to block it out. Other than that we use the shit out of it, matter of fact just about ready to start making tacos.
Friend of mine made a cool wind blocker that wraps around grill it’s a few inches taller and has about 1 inch clearance all around the back and sides works very good. I’m probably going to do similar or tack some thin steel around 3 sides of the grill that cover the gap. Besides that love the grill for camping.