WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Blackstone or ??

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Momma wants one. Is the Blackstone still the best, or do other brands offer more? Looking to keep it under $350ish.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I've got 2 so I'm convinced it's the way to go.

Walmart usually has them in stock and at very good prices.

I'd get the 36" with hinged cover (not the flat cover or no cover versions) 4 burner unit. If that's too big then you can get the 22" with hinged cover that's about $175.00 with a stand - sweet deal.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
As far as flat top griddles go ..blackstone is on top of the market.. no issues at all as far as I'm concerned. Campchef makes a nice one but not much accessories and gear out there like blackstone does.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I've got 2 so I'm convinced it's the way to go.

Walmart usually has them in stock and at very good prices.

I'd get the 36" with hinged cover (not the flat cover or no cover versions) 4 burner unit. If that's too big then you can get the 22" with hinged cover that's about $175.00 with a stand - sweet deal.

This, I got both he mentioned. Try and stay away from the small single burner and the 36" dual burner. More burners are the way to go if you can afford it.

racetrash

Reaction score
We got the Royal Gourmet from Homedepot. Love it!

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Blackstone 36. Mine is on order as we speak and I can't wait to use it. We have several neighbors with same model and it is super versatile. If you're having trouble finding it for 350, let me know and I can see what the best price I can get one at, as I am friends with the owner of the new BBQland in LB on Palo Verde and Spring. I believe they retail for right about 350 if I remember right.

Singleton

Reaction score
I will say this. Get the biggest one they offer. Love mine. Use it 4-5 times a week for breakfast or dinners.

i have the 17 for the ToyHauler and a 36 on order for the outdoor home kitchen I am building

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I agree with get one with a hinged lid, without a lid your limited to what you can use it for or your making little covers. 36” 4 burner with hinged lid. I assume all the new models have the grease drain in the back. I have 2 that have a grease track in the front that drips off to one side and its a pain in the nuts and very messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
No real complaints....I have the Blue Rhino. Its a 4 burner. I usually only use 3....the 4th one on the right is supposed to be for sear or hot side, but the burner looks the same to me. Mine has lids, but they're 2 piece and open left and right.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My vote is for the Blackstone 36 as well. Had ours for about a year now and use it all the time. I even converted it to NG as that is what is used on my Weber and stove top burner that are near by. Very easy to clean when done cooking scrap oils/crap into rear tray, grab a handful of paper towels and wipe the cooking surface down then spray a light coat of Pam.
BTW, first seasoning is key to a great cooking surface so have some beers handy and don't panic when it smokes out...😁

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a blackstone 22 and only problem i have is the regulator sometime gets stuck and burners will not go very high.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Whatever brand you go with keep one thing in mimd, everything you are about to cook on any griddle surface you'll need to have everything preped/prepair with containers to put stuff in when it's done. These things cook real fast and you ain't gonna have time to be going back and forth to the kitchen. Hell you barely have time to enjoy a beer it gets so busy.

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
I live in Santa Maria so mI usually BBQ over an oak pit. Recently purchased a Traeger, which I really like. Both the pit and the Traeger cook over an open flame or smoke/heat. I don’t understand the Blackstone concept. Am I missing something or is it just like cooking in a frying pan?

Meaney77

Reaction score
I live in Santa Maria so mI usually BBQ over an oak pit. Recently purchased a Traeger, which I really like. Both the pit and the Traeger cook over an open flame or smoke/heat. I don’t understand the Blackstone concept. Am I missing something or is it just like cooking in a frying pan?
I didn't understand it for a long time either but it's a game changer. I use mine multiple times throughout the week, we do lots of dinners and breakfast on it. Easy cleanup and the house doesn't smell!

It's just another option to cook things on.

HitIt

Reaction score
It isn't a replacement for a BBQ. I guess it is sort of like a large frying pan or cast iron pan. I cooked an amazing fillet on one side of it while making amazing brussels sprouts on it the other day. Also awesome fried rice. And a hashbrowns. And bacon. And omelets. And marinated boneless skinless chicken. And burgers. And shrimp. And cinnamon rolls. And all of this is easy to do for around 3 families at a time. It is kinda fun to try to figure out how to use all of the space and get everything to come together. You have to want to do it since things can happen fast and stress you out though.

I really like mine for camping because I could never get the BBQ clean enough to feel like I could put it in the basement of the RV for a month. You can get these pretty spic-n-span with very little effort.

But like I said, it isnt a replacement for a bbq.

81Sprint

Reaction score
2 words, Fuck Yes! Love it, best way to make breakfast hands down. Bought a 17" for the RV then had to get the 36" for the house

Blackstone.jpg

boat527

Reaction score
I've held back for years regarding this comment.
No.. Blackstone isn't the best.. sorry if some feelings get hurt..

Blackstone is nothing more than a cheaper copy of Camp Chef products.. always has been .

Everyone in my industry ( outdoor propane products ) knows that.

Yes, they are less expensive. Yes, they work well and serve a purpose in the market But,
Construction and gauge of the metals is less than the product they copied when they were introduced into the box stores...

Boom!

Meaney77

Reaction score
Where can you find a 36" with a hinged lid? They seem hard to find.

WhatExit?

Reaction score

Blackstone is nothing more than a cheaper copy of Camp Chef products.. always has been .

Yes, they are less expensive. Yes, they work well and serve a purpose in the market But,
Construction and gauge of the metals is less than the product they copied when they were introduced into the box stores...

Boom!

Can the food cooked on a more expensive griddle taste any better? No one talks about Camp Chef because they got griddled in the market by Blackstone. Seems that lessons in the marketplace can be very costly to companies that lose.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
So what is the verdict on using these in a windy situation in regards to dust /sand while camping?
I’ve done my food program off the TH stove and a Weber Q series BBQ to avoid “eating the desert dust”, and have succeeded thus far, lol.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Where can you find a 36" with a hinged lid? They seem hard to find.
I picked mine up at a Father's Day special last year. Seems they (Ace Hardware) had a run with a few more options and better pricing.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
So what is the verdict on using these in a windy situation in regards to dust /sand while camping?
I’ve done my food program off the TH stove and a Weber Q series BBQ to avoid “eating the desert dust”, and have succeeded thus far, lol.
it works out about exactly like you think it would. Some McGivering of wind blockage required and conditions permiting it can be done.
as far as the heat/flame it self is concerned i got the little wind blocks for the edges of the 36" that blackstone makes but i haven't seen any yet for the 17" we take camping. made some out of foil, set it up on the lee side of the trailer and had minimal sand grinds in 20mph winds.

EPL

Reaction score
Blackstone's are great , We have a 36" at home , 36" on our houseboat and a 22" in our fifth wheel and like them all !!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Blackstone 36. Mine is on order as we speak and I can't wait to use it. We have several neighbors with same model and it is super versatile. If you're having trouble finding it for 350, let me know and I can see what the best price I can get one at, as I am friends with the owner of the new BBQland in LB on Palo Verde and Spring. I believe they retail for right about 350 if I remember right.
Hook it up...I’d rather give them the business than Walmart

LowRiver2

Reaction score
it works out about exactly like you think it would. Some McGivering of wind blockage required and conditions permiting it can be done.
as far as the heat/flame it self is concerned i got the little wind blocks for the edges of the 36" that blackstone makes but i haven't seen any yet for the 17" we take camping. made some out of foil, set it up on the lee side of the trailer and had minimal sand grinds in 20mph winds.
Great info.
Thanks

BingerFang

Reaction score
Has anyone used the griddle with the air fryer combo?

Seems pretty trick!

AzMandella

Reaction score
Yep Blackstone all the way . I have a 36" at home and a 28" that is in the motorhome . Best setup for camping .

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We have a 36 at home and a 28 we leave in the Glamis trailer. Home unit I converted to natural gas. Get the wind protectors. Also I oil it with olive oil after each use, best bet I’ve found to maintain it and it doesn’t burn and leave a residue since olive oil had the highest burn temp of any oil.

Walmart has the best deals,they sell bundles, grill, lid, utensils all together.

And like others have said I’ve never found the hinged lid model.

Also get a laser thermometer for it so you can learn the hot spots, no two of these things are the same and also use it to make sure the temp is low enough to clean it with water or it can warp.

17CD2681-C435-4C33-A652-6C8385D48CDD.jpeg
CEA0EF40-99DB-4645-8448-580B7BDA4961.jpeg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Also get a laser thermometer for it so you can learn the hot spots, no two of these things are the same and also use it to make sure the temp is low enough to clean it with water or it can warp.

This should be fun with my IR camera

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Get one with a lid or get the aftermarket hinged lid.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Just got the 36”for my birthday for home. I have a 22” in Havasu.

I bought an aftermarket hinged lid for the new one (not pictured) it was $150. A non hinged lid is $80

8C982A2F-E711-4543-A055-ADB5B4BF2787.jpeg

LakeBeard

Reaction score

Boom!

You REALLY missed the mark by not saying Outdoor propane and propane accessories

jones performance

Reaction score
We have a 36 at home and a 28 we leave in the Glamis trailer. Home unit I converted to natural gas. Get the wind protectors. Also I oil it with olive oil after each use, best bet I’ve found to maintain it and it doesn’t burn and leave a residue since olive oil had the highest burn temp of any oil.

ive found olive oil to add a very off putting flavor to stuff when i used it with high heat.

• Olive Oil; a great oil for cooking at a lower smoke point, gives your food a great taste too. Readily available in all supermarkets. You probably have olive oil in your cupboard already! Smoke Point 325°F
  • Flaxseed Oil; has a lower smoke point, but doesn't break down easily. Great oil for seasoning your pan and creating a solid layer to protect it against burnt food and rust. Smoke Point 225°F.
  • Vegetable Oils; vegetable oils are our go-to oil when it comes to griddle cooking. A high smoke point and a relatively neutral flavor, make it perfect for high temp cooking. Smoke Point 400 - 450°F.
  • Canola Oil; one of the best oils for griddle cooking is canola oil. It has a high smoke point but doesn't leave much of a mark on the taste of the food either. Smoke Point 400°F.
  • Sunflower Seed Oil; a great choice for high-temperature cooking on a cast iron griddle pan, and widely available in shops and supermarkets. It has a super high smoke point and doesn't break down easily. Smoke Point 440°F.
  • Sesame Oil; with a mid-range smoke point, sesame oil can be great for slow cooking on griddles. At higher temperatures, it breaks down, leaving a sesame seed taste, which some chefs love and some chefs hate. Smoke Point 350°F.
  • Avocado Oil; with a ridiculously high smoke point, avocado oil is perfect for cooking meats on a griddle pan at super-high temperatures. Smoke Point 520°F.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I got the tailgater and a 22 for camping and have the 36 at home. I hate cooking indoors when camping and those two complete an easy camp kitchen for just about any meal/cooking scenario. The tailgater has a removable grill section that can also be used as a regular burner (sauce pan, boil water etc.)

img01_1024x1024.jpg

blackstone 22.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
ive found olive oil to add a very off putting flavor to stuff when i used it with high heat.

• Olive Oil; a great oil for cooking at a lower smoke point, gives your food a great taste too. Readily available in all supermarkets. You probably have olive oil in your cupboard already! Smoke Point 325°F
  • Flaxseed Oil; has a lower smoke point, but doesn't break down easily. Great oil for seasoning your pan and creating a solid layer to protect it against burnt food and rust. Smoke Point 225°F.
  • Vegetable Oils; vegetable oils are our go-to oil when it comes to griddle cooking. A high smoke point and a relatively neutral flavor, make it perfect for high temp cooking. Smoke Point 400 - 450°F.
  • Canola Oil; one of the best oils for griddle cooking is canola oil. It has a high smoke point but doesn't leave much of a mark on the taste of the food either. Smoke Point 400°F.
  • Sunflower Seed Oil; a great choice for high-temperature cooking on a cast iron griddle pan, and widely available in shops and supermarkets. It has a super high smoke point and doesn't break down easily. Smoke Point 440°F.
  • Sesame Oil; with a mid-range smoke point, sesame oil can be great for slow cooking on griddles. At higher temperatures, it breaks down, leaving a sesame seed taste, which some chefs love and some chefs hate. Smoke Point 350°F.
  • Avocado Oil; with a ridiculously high smoke point, avocado oil is perfect for cooking meats on a griddle pan at super-high temperatures. Smoke Point 520°F.
Thanks Kev, good stuff.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I have a blackstone 22 and only problem i have is the regulator sometime gets stuck and burners will not go very high.
Check to see that the burners are off before you turn the gas on. Sometimes the regulator will sense a free flow situation and not flow

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I have no experience with these but they look interesting. So maybe a dumb question but can you use these in a garage?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Check to see that the burners are off before you turn the gas on. Sometimes the regulator will sense a free flow situation and not flow
Also check the orientation of the regulator. My old BBQ was very sensitive to this. if it was not clocked just right it went into limp mode.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
We have a 36 at home and a 28 we leave in the Glamis trailer. Home unit I converted to natural gas. Get the wind protectors. Also I oil it with olive oil after each use, best bet I’ve found to maintain it and it doesn’t burn and leave a residue since AVOCADO oil has the highest burn temp of any oil.

Fixed it for ya

I use Olive Oil for general purposes including pre and post griddling. But I use Avocado Oil for cooking almost everything - it's great! The best price I've found is at Costco.

For example, the smoke point of avocado oil is higher than 482°F (250°C), while olive oil can smoke and burn at 375°F (191°C) ( 25 , 26 ). Therefore, it may be better to use avocado oil for cooking techniques that require high temperatures, such as sautéing, grilling, searing, and baking.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I use flax seed oil for conditioner, it has a low point of polymerizing. Is that a word? Lol

Nordie

Reaction score

Yep, I use either sunflower or avocado oil on my blackstone. I use olive oil or sunflower oil to coat it when I'm done cooking after it cools.