WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Block brand question

Sawtooth

Thanks for everything Dad
Reaction score
Looking for information from those in the know, aftermarket BBC blocks. Looking at the Dart Big M, the Brodix, and the World products. The Brodix and World claim made in the good ole USA, not sure about the Dart. Recently heard Dart sold and the new manufacturer has let the product slip. It would be a standard 9.800 deck height with the 4.500 bore, this is not an open checkbook build so cost has some factor. So what do ya know, what have ya heard, what have ya seen, etc. Do ya have a favorite.
Or is a factory Chevrolet block good enough, it’s not going to be a GN boat or a ski race boat or a marathon boat, just a river/lake boat that will on occasion see the hit of the throttle. It will be a 540 ci carbed TT.
Thanks for any insight, knowledge, rumors ya might have.

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I have used both bowtie blocks and Merlin blocks in a few marine builds 540 and above. My newest build is with a Dart block currently at 555 and prefer it over the others. I have no personal experience with other brands but my machinist said he does like the Brodix blocks. I think any aftermarket block that will be used for any kind of power would be a good choice over a GM block. I try to buy good or higher end parts just to have a little piece of mind. Probably comes down to availability at this point and what options or deck height you want.

BigJimSportsCamper

Reaction score
I have also used bowtie blocks(496) and Merlin blocks(468). I currently am using a Merlin Gen 4 block, 9.8 deck height, 582 cid with 11:1 pistons. If you are going to a bigger block, why not free up some more torque/ possible HP for pennies by going to a 572 or 582? Just something to think about. Like it is always stated- No replacement for displacement.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Fwiw. Mercruiser uses Dart blocks in alot of their repower engines.

I don't think you can lose no matter which way you go.

Sawtooth

Thanks for everything Dad
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your info and or opinions. I was set on buying a Dart block but in talking with a good friend who knew Richard Maskin he told me Richard had mentioned that since selling Dart Performance something in the casting had “shifted” and there was an issue with the new manufacturing company.
Most likely I will end up going with a Brodix. Thanks again I appreciate your time to respond.

farmo83

Reaction score
Last I heard was April for any after market blocks (dart,brodix,merlin) and this was from a engine builder they builds quite a few engines. I'm sure he's fairly close to the front of the line.