WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Blocking Sound Door Bottom Gap - Carpet To Laminent Floors

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
What is a good device to block sound from going under bedroom doors?

I installed rigid core vinyl plank flooring in my entire house. The hall and bedrooms were carpet before. The bottom gap on the doors went from about 1/2" with carpet, to approx 1.5" with the plank flooring.

Without the carpet to absorb the sound, and fill the gap, way too much voice noise travels under the doors. Talking, TV, Music, Etc... Especially the kids. LOL

Help!! I hate it. What have the inmates used to block the sound?

I see lots of weather stripping looking solutions, but most are to stop drafts. I need a good sound blocking solution. I don't want to mount new doors to lower the doors.

Sent From Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
You have some options but none of them are as good as new doors:
  1. Add some weatherstripping or door bottom seals to fill the gaps
  2. Add wood strips to the bottom of the doors - cut to fit, nail/screw/glue on, sand and repaint (likely the whole door)
  3. Drop the doors and fill in at the tops - not a great option

I'd probably buy new doors but otherwise I'd look at option #2

racektm

Reaction score
What is a good device to block sound from going under bedroom doors?

I installed rigid core vinyl plank flooring in my entire house. The hall and bedrooms were carpet before. The bottom gap on the doors went from about 1/2" with carpet, to approx 1.5" with the plank flooring.

Without the carpet to absorb the sound, and fill the gap, way too much voice noise travels under the doors. Talking, TV, Music, Etc... Especially the kids. LOL

Help!! I hate it. What have the inmates used to block the sound?

I see lots of weather stripping looking solutions, but most are to stop drafts. I need a good sound blocking solution. I don't want to mount new doors to lower the doors.

Sent From Tapatalk

With a 1.5" gap, your options are limited, but here is a solution...

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
With a 1.5" gap, your options are limited, but here is a solution...

That would be a good option, but I don't have thresholds on the interior doors.

Sent From Tapatalk

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Your HVAC will thank you for the increase. Beyond that my guess is the difference between 0.5 and 1.5 as far as sound is concerned is not that much. What you are really hearing is the lack of a soft absorbent carpet deadening the sound throughout the house. I pulled carpet at a previous house and it was a day and night difference in how sound travels throughout the house. short of a outdoor type seal all the way around the door you are not going to gain much.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
If you have central HVAC that 1.5" gap is a huge benefit if you don't have returns in each room. Other than that I got nothing to offer.
I have Central HVAC. There is a register in each room to output air, but the only air return is in the hallway.

Sent From Tapatalk

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
The gap may not be your biggest issue.

All of that sound used to be absorbed by carpet and now is just bounces off the plank flooring and will resonate under any type of seal you put under the door.

You could put the BEST sound absorb material under the door and I bet you'd still have an issue.

As for options, you could get some cheap insulating foam online in the thickness you want and then cut it into strips and glue or vhb tape it to the bottom of the doors. Again, I don't think it will help much but.......

This is why we kept carpet in all bedrooms and wood floor only in common areas. There is a gap under doors but carpet deadens the sound in the rooms.

Sorry I'm not shedding much light here, just trying to hone in the expectations...... Good luck.

jones performance

Reaction score
Your HVAC will thank you for the increase. Beyond that my guess is the difference between 0.5 and 1.5 as far as sound is concerned is not that much. What you are really hearing is the lack of a soft absorbent carpet deadening the sound throughout the house. I pulled carpet at a previous house and it was a day and night difference in how sound travels throughout the house. short of a outdoor type seal all the way around the door you are not going to gain much.

grew up in a house with hardwood floors, i hated it for the noise. you heard everything in every room.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
These actually work well

Screenshot_20201229-115852_Samsung Internet.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
@J DUNN - agreed. I never really thought about the door aspect. I don't need it completely quiet, just better than it is. LOL.

I will try one of the noise cancelling whether strip type devices.

Sent From Tapatalk

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Hang decorative rugs on the walls that have the wood flooring to absorb some of the sound.

Justfishing

Reaction score
If air can get through so can sound. At my house i can tell when a window is notlocked by outside sounds.

First off do you have a forced air furnace/ac. Does each room have a a returrn vent. If it does then you can close the gap.

Carpeting had done a good job of capturing sounds. Now all the sound is being reflected. Area rugs can help.

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
$110 is way to much to spend on a $34 Auto Door bottom. Besides the one posted below only has a 1" Drop and you said you needed a 1.5". If you over extend the plunger it will stop retracting properly and not last.

Get a Door Shoe like this...https://www.americanbuildersoutlet.com/pemko-221-door-shoes-36.html#/

You have enough play to adjust it where you want on the door. Plus you can get it in white if you want. I would order for you but my minimum from Pemko is a few hundred dollars so best to just google it. Once you set it where you want and your door is tapped, unscrew it, buy some acoustical spray foam and put a little down in the shoe before re mounting. It should help with sound & HVAC.

racektm

Reaction score
$110 is way to much to spend on a $34 Auto Door bottom. Besides the one posted below only has a 1" Drop and you said you needed a 1.5".

Get a Door Shoe like this...https://www.americanbuildersoutlet.com/pemko-221-door-shoes-36.html#/

You have enough play to adjust it where you want on the door. Plus you can get it in white if you want. I would order for you but my minimum from Pemko is a few hundred dollars so best to just google it. Once you set it where you want and your door is tapped, unscrew it, buy some acoustical spray foam and put a little down in the shoe before re mounting. It should help with sound & HVAC.
I knew a door guy would chime in!

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Are you trying not to hear the kids or are trying to keep the kids from hearing you and the wife[emoji1787]
Yes. [emoji3]

Mostly I have 1 kid that gets up at 4am several days a week. She is constantly complaining about the TV volume downstairs when she goes to bed.

Secondly you can't have a private conversation. If there is adult noise, well...

It is compounded with everything closed, so everyone is home so much.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I am thinking of trying something like this for now. I was hoping someone in the RDP braintrust had tries something.

Probably replace the doors eventually.

20201229_182426.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

Turnup

Reaction score
Thats what they don't tell you when they're selling you on that new fangled water proof vinyl everyones doing...its hard as fock, cold as hell, not forgiving if the slab has issues, oh and your doors, base, and case are focked! 😳
If its only a room or 2, buy new doors would be my suggestion.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I am thinking of trying something like this for now. I was hoping someone in the RDP braintrust had tries something.

View attachment 956365

Sent From Tapatalk

Be aware that this is going to significantly damage the normal air flow from your HVAC. The rooms that you do that to will have major heating and cooling issues because the air cannot escape and let more conditioned air into the room. There is a reason why you need either a significant door gap or a return in every room.

This solution will mildly help with one issue but create major other ones.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
If you really want to fix the problems. Buy new solid core doors, witch is a lot of work making them fit your existing openings. Cut in pass through vents over the doors for HVAC.

boatnam2

Reaction score
My bedroom and bathroom has pocket doors and the noise and light coming in sucks ass, also the slapping when air kicks on and off. I plan to put some solids in but to cheap so far.

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score

View attachment 956365

Sent From Tapatalk

I literally gave you the best option besides hanging new doors. Coming from someone who lives breathes and dies DFH but But hey if you want to use a POS off amazon go for it.

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Runner rugs down the hall, maybe a bathmat type rug just inside each room. You have an acoustics problem, the noise was always there you just hear it better now.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

View attachment 956365

Sent From Tapatalk

As has been posted above, these aren't going to solve the problem you originally posted: noise/sound. Carpet runners and area rugs will help a lot. And if you're going to "fix" the bottom of the doors I'd suggest adding to the bottoms or going with a quality product like the Pemco door shoe (above)

Taboma

Reaction score
If you really want to fix the problems. Buy new solid core doors, witch is a lot of work making them fit your existing openings. Cut in pass through vents over the doors for HVAC.

So the pass through vents transfer air, but no sound ?

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
If you switch to solid surface floors , you just built an echo chamber.... Take up heavy metal guitar and call it quits..

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I literally gave you the best option besides hanging new doors. Coming from someone who lives breathes and dies DFH but But hey if you want to use a POS off amazon go for it.
Easy there. I'm not ignoring your solution. I said above I will eventually replace the doors. In may also try your solution before replacing.

I just finished and complete remodel 5 days ago. By complete I mean nothing was untouched including little things like blinds, all lighting, doorknobs & hinges, electrical outlets & switches, ceiling fans, etc., on top of all the big stuff like removing a two story wall, closing doorways, all countertops sinks, faucets, floors, paint, showers demoing about 1,300 sf of floor tile, all the carpet and tack strip. My house has been torn apart since the end of September. I have been working on it almost every morning and night (before and after work), and every weekend for months.

I am looking for a quickie solution to improve the problem to get by for now. What I'm trying to say is I need a break for a bit.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Be aware that this is going to significantly damage the normal air flow from your HVAC. The rooms that you do that to will have major heating and cooling issues because the air cannot escape and let more conditioned air into the room. There is a reason why you need either a significant door gap or a return in every room.

This solution will mildly help with one issue but create major other ones.
If I use the stick on crap temporarily, I had planned on leaving about a 1/4" gap (not push them all the way against the floor). Will a 1/4" gap be enough for the air to circulate?

Sent From Tapatalk

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
With the risk of sounding redneck, if the carpet worked for noise and airflow before, and you’re looking at spending the coin on new doors anyway, why couldn’t you cut strips of the carpet to fit the bottom door edge exactly and staple it on? (Obviously it would be upside down)

Then you’d be back to your original gap (or a tick tighter) and it won’t cost much other than your time, some carpet blades and some staples (assuming you still have carpet to cut)

Just a thought