WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Blower pulley fell off

socalrzr

Reaction score
So I did what you are never supposed to do and commented in the Teague 800 reliability thread. Stated that I have a higher hour Teague 800 and have never had a problem. Fast forward to the very next trip and going along at a little lower that 4000rpm when motor cuts out, but didnt die. Turned it off and raised the hatch to find a missing belt along with a missing pulley. Blower still turns freely, but sheared off the four bolts that hold it on. Two look like they might have been cracked or broken before.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Anything I should be concerned about or just get the bolts out and replace? Im taking it to a mechanic next week and am trying to get prepared for the possible outcomes. Thanks

renodaytona

Reaction score
Should be grade 8 hardware, if it sheared all 4 I would have to say maybe they were loose? How does the pulley look, are the holes wallowed out?

socalrzr

Reaction score
Pulley looked ok to me, three of the bolts heads were still in it and one is missing. I cant believe it didnt take out any of the other belts or appear to do any other damage. I got lucky

welldigger00

Reaction score
I had a beach towel run through the blower belt one time. Bent the snoot, broke the water pump off the timing cover, fortunately it didn’t bend the crank. That was a $5k deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: DWC

Teague_JR

Reaction score
So I did what you are never supposed to do and commented in the Teague 800 reliability thread. Stated that I have a higher hour Teague 800 and have never had a problem. Fast forward to the very next trip and going along at a little lower that 4000rpm when motor cuts out, but didnt die. Turned it off and raised the hatch to find a missing belt along with a missing pulley. Blower still turns freely, but sheared off the four bolts that hold it on. Two look like they might have been cracked or broken before.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Anything I should be concerned about or just get the bolts out and replace? Im taking it to a mechanic next week and am trying to get prepared for the possible outcomes. Thanks

Its actually been very rare to have those bolts break. The bolt that holds the hub to the snout shaft had been problematic and was later upgraded to a custom ARP stud and nut. For whatever reasons the quad rotors seemed to be harder on the snouts even though the blowers spin much slower. Maybe less slip or the blower harmonics fighting eachother.

I would pull the snout and send to whipple or TCM for an upgrade/inspection. You'll likely need to remove the pulley hub anyways to heat up as the pulley bolts are red loctite installed.

JT

socalrzr

Reaction score
Thanks. I dropped it off at Savage marine today. Hopefully they can get it sorted out

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

Yep that happened to me years ago. Same motor, same exact problem. We replaced the snout and it’s been running fine ever since (that was probably 9 years ago now..).

Just out of curiosity, did you do anything with the blower pulley or belt right before this happened?

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

Also have you ever had the motor backfire thru the blower before?

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
I lost the hub bolt/snapped crusing under 3500rpm. TCM replaced with whipple's new design under warranty with no hassle and all has been good since.

I'd have Savage or TCM see if the new design hub is available for yours.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
No backfire and haven’t touched it or the belt in a while
Both of those happened to me shortly before the bolts snapped. Was wondering if maybe there was something in common.

DaveH

Reaction score
Both of those happened to me shortly before the bolts snapped. Was wondering if maybe there was something in common.
absolutely. when the engine backfires through the intake.......it puts huge loads on all sorts of things......not just the blower snout. its an absolute indication of an engine that needs maintenance.