WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Blown attic insulation, Murrieta

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Anyone blow attics?
I have just under 1k sqft of attic I need blown. Easy access, Murrieta area.

Let me know

thanks

Reactions: DWC

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Do you head south to Escondido?
I need to have my attic insulation looked at, existing blown in is flat and dead and not enough of it.

We do in the off season if it can wait till October.

Reactions: DLC

SoCalDave

Reaction score
No reason to remove unless its wet or something. Atticat at Home Depot..buy 10+ bags and its a free rental. 1k sq feet should take you under 2 hours.
This is the rout I went. Buy enough to get the the bulk discount price and return what you don't use for a refund when you return the machine.
Took me about 1.5 hours to blow in but took two days to prep as I had to put those plastic covers to keep the vents from closing up with insulation. That was a PITA.

2Driver

Reaction score
No reason to remove unless its wet or something. Atticat at Home Depot..buy 10+ bags and its a free rental. 1k sq feet should take you under 2 hours.

Thats what we did, one person feeds the machine outside and the other is in the attic blowing it.

I thought it was super super easy but my wife said the attic was pretty hot :)

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I need to do this at my place.... but need the old stuff taken out. Anyone know a going rate on something like that? 2400 sqft 1 story ranch

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Thats what we did, one person feeds the machine outside and the other is in the attic blowing it.

I thought it was super super easy but my wife said the attic was pretty hot :)

I had two sales guys who liked to double dip and they did the installs. This wound up being far cheaper than subbing it out. I did a job last July and though I was going to die in the Texas heat. You come out of the attic drenched but its best just to push through. Had a company in Havasu quote me something like $3700 to do the house there...Yea fuck that. Flew both of them out for a weekend on the boat and got the House done with all expenses including their flights for under a grand.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
One word of advise if you have any issue up there that need to be addressed do it now as once you blow that shit in you don't want to go disturbing it.
Also go with the fiberglass insulation as that other recycled paper product is shit.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
One word of advise if you have any issue up there that need to be addressed do it now as once you blow that shit in you don't want to go disturbing it.
Also go with the fiberglass insulation as that other recycled paper product is shit.

100% on this....the attic cat pink stuff isn't really messy, the paper/wool shit is awful, and even with a Biden face diaper on you still hack for days.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Thanks,
This is looking like the route I will go.
This is definitely the best route is you don't want remove and you have good access.

We do it all the time but most of time we remove because it has a bunch of rat shit or other bugs in it. We usually install a product called TAP. It's pretty good. Built in pest control to keep it rats and be other things. Better R value too

You can install yourself but regular companies need a post control license as well at the C2 license.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I need to do this at my place.... but need the old stuff taken out. Anyone know a going rate on something like that? 2400 sqft 1 story ranch
If the access is good. $3 to $4 a square foot.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I did my own in March...best thing ever....since my house was like an oven last year I vowed I would do it.....On very hot days last year I couldn't get the house below 78.....now it is beautiful at 69-70. Pink Arctic Cat and free rental..used 18 bags. Plus used their coupon....no interest for 1 year.....

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Check your utility website as well...One of the ones we dealt with in TX had a rebate of $0.35 per sq ft. Takes forever to get it but it helped.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
This is the rout I went. Buy enough to get the the bulk discount price and return what you don't use for a refund when you return the machine.
Took me about 1.5 hours to blow in but took two days to prep as I had to put those plastic covers to keep the vents from closing up with insulation. That was a PITA.

Exactly this.
It's like painting......90% of the job is in the prep work. You need to make sure the soffits are properly vented, you have a ridge vent or good roof / gable venting and if you're thinking of adding any ceiling lighting ... do it first!

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
There was a sticker on the Home Depot machine I had that said you can never have too much insulation..use all you buy…..nice trick to keep your money… :p