WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

BMX Bikes

BAS

Reaction score
I know we have a couple BMX bike experts here, so looking for a little advice. I ran over my sons bike a while back and haven’t been able to find a replacement SE mini 20”. So I came across this haro and 29” SE’s. the haro is 350 and the se is a COVID sale at 750. I think it’s a pretty good deal on the Haro, but the SE is normally 599 from them directly.

or just tig weld up the old frame?

Attachments

• 57BE6000-9861-4805-BCF4-36CBDD1F8495.jpeg
    57BE6000-9861-4805-BCF4-36CBDD1F8495.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 405
  • AD175A1B-A1C9-45B5-8D9C-F89CFE0B760E.jpeg
    AD175A1B-A1C9-45B5-8D9C-F89CFE0B760E.jpeg
    486.6 KB · Views: 403

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
the Haro might be a tad high....the SE is another story. But 750? Fugg dat....lol... Tank to the white courtesy phone pleeezz...😁

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
The 29 market is hot, everyone is making them now, price seems high. Theres a lot to choose from but hard to find anything in stock since the Rona. The big rippers are cramped IMO. Just picked up a new cult devotion 26 for a neighborhood bike for $540 OTD. They also make a 29. So does sunday bikes.

I'll build a new S&M soon.

Reactions: BAS

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Just frame damage? Or everything. Never purchased a new bike but built them out with custom parts. How about just a frame or what you need? This is for racing?

BAS

Reaction score
the Haro might be a tad high....the SE is another story. But 750? Fugg dat....lol... Tank to the white courtesy phone pleeezz...😁

i know the se is high. But I thought the haro is a good deal. Bummer...

TrollerDave

Reaction score
The 29 market is hot, everyone is making them now, price seems high. Theres a lot to choose from but hard to find anything in stock since the Rona. The big rippers are cramped IMO. Just picked up a new cult devotion 26 for a neighborhood bike for $540 OTD. They also make a 29. So does sunday bikes.

This. The 29” market is insane since COVID. A lot of manufacturers are making them now so hopefully it drives demand and prices down a bit. I bought my big flyer a couple years ago $499. The Cult and Sunday are good bikes and aren’t as “popular” as the SE. if you were in the market for one, I’d buy it back ordered from a shop or online store.

BAS

Reaction score

i’ll look into those, but yeah availability is a huge problem. f¥CK Covid

AntiBormac

Banned
Reaction score
My boy’s have been wanting new bikes, every quality bike I can think of is sold out.

I found a few last month but the nonchain bike shops were asking 2x MSRP

BAS

Reaction score
Just frame damage? Or everything. Never purchased a new bike but built them out with custom parts. How about just a frame or what you need? This is for racing?

Just the frame. Really. I have went through everything, I can’t get just a frame right now. I think it’s more for me then him, I feel bad running over he’s bike and it wa the first bike he really dug. Whatever get him outside

manxman

Reaction score
I bought a fit bike for my kid a couple months ago for about $450, but it was one of the last ones. I have an SE big ripper 29 that was about $550 a few years ago. It's crazy what bikes cost right now!!!

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Just the frame. Really. I have went through everything, I can’t get just a frame right now. I think it’s more for me then him, I feel bad running over he’s bike and it wa the first bike he really dug. Whatever get him outside

I think I’m going to switch out my mini to my XL for my son this week.

Tank

Reaction score
Not much more to say about it. Bike market has been off the hook since COVID as people are looking to get out and do something. Most everything is sold out and the market price is up a good 50%. You may want to search around on let go and craigslist but a deal is going to be hard to come across.

I'm a HUGE fan of SE bikes - have owned them since the 80's and currently have a 24 Floval and a 24 Quadangle and my kids have a 20 PK Ripper and a Mini Ripper. With SE kind've leading the way of retro bike builds and how successful they've been with their line, you have a bunch of companies doing the same now. A guy bought the original Hutch jigs and rights and is building new Hutch frames / forks / parts, GT is building a KICK ASS Heritage 24 model that is beautifuly done old school. DK is doing their loop tail legend series, Haro is offering a similar Lineage series, etc.

The bikes you picked are good and even though the SE is spendy it's a quality bike and if you keep it, you won't lose money. One thing I've learned from building, collecting, buying and selling 80's and early 90's BMX bikes is that all the quality manufacturers go up in price at about the 5-8 year mark and just keep going up. I have a mini Redline in my garage my daughter rode in early 2000's that is worth at least double what I paid. And it's nothing super special. Just food for thought.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I just bought a 20 inch Kink from Bike Bling in Escondido. They sell a lot via mail order. I bought it on a recommendation from a BMX guy and the fact that everyone is sold out, but I prefer the the Fit bikes for my kid. I bet it will be November/December before they are back in stock and then it will be a frenzy for Christmas. I'm not that pumped on the Kink, but it's decent and can be had now.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Hmm maybe now is a good time to sell some of my bikes. I’ve got a redline flight mini with carbon forks and bars that needs to go. Maybe an SE ripper jr too.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Not much more to say about it. Bike market has been off the hook since COVID as people are looking to get out and do something. Most everything is sold out and the market price is up a good 50%. You may want to search around on let go and craigslist but a deal is going to be hard to come across.

I'm a HUGE fan of SE bikes - have owned them since the 80's and currently have a 24 Floval and a 24 Quadangle and my kids have a 20 PK Ripper and a Mini Ripper. With SE kind've leading the way of retro bike builds and how successful they've been with their line, you have a bunch of companies doing the same now. A guy bought the original Hutch jigs and rights and is building new Hutch frames / forks / parts, GT is building a KICK ASS Heritage 24 model that is beautifuly done old school. DK is doing their loop tail legend series, Haro is offering a similar Lineage series, etc.

The bikes you picked are good and even though the SE is spendy it's a quality bike and if you keep it, you won't lose money. One thing I've learned from building, collecting, buying and selling 80's and early 90's BMX bikes is that all the quality manufacturers go up in price at about the 5-8 year mark and just keep going up. I have a mini Redline in my garage my daughter rode in early 2000's that is worth at least double what I paid. And it's nothing super special. Just food for thought.

God damn you Tank...

GT.JPG

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
ELF is back in the game building frames and some components. Including a 29er.

Of course dont forget skyways are out there, Bassett and Gary/Craig Turners, but a vastly different price range from the Taiwan bikes.

I missed the S&M cooks bros frame they did in limited quantity. Hoping they do a 2nd round of 26s.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Of course dont forget skyways are out there, Bassett and Gary/Craig Turners, but a vastly different price range from the Taiwan bikes.

I missed the S&M cooks bros frame they did in limited quantity. Hoping they do a 2nd round of 26s.

Totally forgot about ELF. I never had one but my friend did. They had a couple bad ass bikes back in the day.

Tank

Reaction score
RIIIIIIIGHT!!!??? That fucker right there is SICK. I love the one in GT Yellow and blue anodized rims and parts. SO SICK. And I think retail is like $575.

Droooooooooool....I'd throw font and rear pegs, front brake, gyro headset and freestyle the shit out of that thing!

701805b58c824bd39c1852b16d173478.jpg
Dks-oFkX0AE54VJ.jpg

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score

I almost done with my Gary Turner (not GT) 29...will post a pic this weekend!

Last edited:

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
SE bikes are in high demand. Took me over 6 months to order mine. Thats why the prices are higher than what their website says.

Tank

Reaction score
Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Some builds I've done over the years. I really wish I had pics from all the bikes I had and built. Before iPhones though.

I'll start with passing the love for BMX down to my boys hoepfully. I found a POS beat up circa late 90's (US Made) 20" PK Ripper for my 11 y/o. Made him help me strip it, paint the parts, put all new components back on. He digs it. Then I had his little brother (6 at the time, now 7) help me change out some small things on my older sons old Mini Ripper and whola, new Mini Ripper for the little guy.

PK work.png
PK work2.png
PK1.png
PK2.png
Mini Ripper.png
Mini Ripper2.png

Tank

Reaction score
Couple other builds I've done over the years:

Currently hanging in the garage. The Floval, Quad and Profile.
Bikes.png

The Floval Built. Actually scored both the floval and Quad FF from a guy in LA that stripped the parts off for other builds. Got a great price couldn't pass up the deal. They sat in my garage un built for like 5 years or so until I finally built them a year or so ago. Buddy I sold my 91 PK Ripper to about 10 years ago is DYING to buy the Quad form me. He said he'd even trade me back the PK (which I've tried to get back from him since I built it when I was fresh out of high school). We'll see.

Floval.png

I've built about 5 Hutch bikes over the years. I've always been a big fan of Hutch. Kid across the street had one and I couldn't afford one (though I did eventually save up and buy a GT mini). But the love for Hutch was there. So I've had a few 20's and 24's over the years. Ended up selling them all (shoud've kept the this 24 though. Came out nice).

IMG_1801.jpg

After I had my daughter race on her purchased new redline mini circa 03ish for a while, we built this mini Patterson (80's model) I came across. Cool little bike.

IMG_1841.JPG

This is the 91 PK Ripper I built and sold to my buddy. Great bike. Had some cool stuff on it. 80's Flight Cranks, Odyseey barefoot tires, GT laid back post.

photo(13).jpg

This is one of 3 20" Hutch's I built up. Had 80's flights on it. Another I built actually had tappered Cooks Bros 3 piece cranks. I could buy 3 Hutch FF's at least for the value of those cranks now! (91 PK in the background.

photo2.jpg

Another shot of the PK, Hutch and my daughter mini Patterson

photo3.jpg

Few bikes hanging on the wall. Daughters mid 2000's Mini Redline in there too.

Picture%20017.jpg

20" Race Inc I had for a while. Never ended up building it up. I sold it with a Kuwahara and CW to a buddy in Colorado a few years back.

IMG_1806.jpg

Like I said, wish I could find the old pics of all the bikes. Especially a 24" Patterson that I built with all orange anodized components. Probably the nicest bike I've ever built. Should've kept that too. LOL

Hammer

Reaction score
Shit.... Santa Clarita just opened up a pump track. My 10 year wants to ride it. He's ready for a 20". I've wanted a BMX(26"?) cruiser since I was kid.

wife wants to wait until Xmas. I think dad isn't going to wait that long. Excited to get something cool for the two of us(might have to grab a bmx bike for little sister too! 🤫)🤘🏻

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Shit.... Santa Clarita just opened up a pump track. My 10 year wants to ride it. He's ready for a 20". I've wanted a BMX(26"?) cruiser since I was kid.

wife wants to wait until Xmas. I think dad isn't going to wait that long. Excited to get something cool for the two of us(might have to grab a bmx bike for little sister too! 🤫)🤘🏻
Like a lot of us said, check the online and local bike stores, You might have to back order a 26”. It’s definitely fun cruising and jumping a big bmx with the kids.

CobraDave

Reaction score
My son outgrew his Redline Junior. Newer tires but has a few scratches and dings but rides really smooth. I’m not sure if anyone is interested.

image-2020-09-19-15:01:27-128.jpg

image-2020-09-19-15:02:03-895.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAS

Reaction score
I know we have a couple BMX bike experts here, so looking for a little advice. I ran over my sons bike a while back and haven’t been able to find a replacement SE mini 20”. So I came across this haro and 29” SE’s. the haro is 350 and the se is a COVID sale at 750. I think it’s a pretty good deal on the Haro, but the SE is normally 599 from them directly.

or just tig weld up the old frame?

Well my wife surprised us with these bikes. I think I’m more excited then my son.

HitIt

Reaction score
Just ordered a Sunday BMX for my kiddo for Christmas to replace his SE Lil ripper. If anyone is thinking about buying a bike for your kid for the holidays, I highly suggest you do it right now before everyone else panics and this turns into the TP and hand sanitizer deal from earlier this year.

E4L

Reaction score
That is some serious artwork! What year? 2017ish? Love the old school gold anodized accents. And good choice with the Profile Components.

Here's a 24 Profile I built circa 01ish. All Profile components except Crupi Pedals, Fusion Seat Post, King Headset, Araya Rims and Odyssey brakes.

View attachment 923666

The bike was built last year right before Xmas.
Profile elite hubs love the sound of them.

Thank you lots of cool custom touches my buddy did for me.

E4L

Reaction score
I got some SE for sale two 29’s and one 26 all new in the boxes.

DLC

Reaction score
@mbrown2 your gary turner is one sweet ride!, I really like the look and colors!

@Tank alot if your bikes take me right back to 14 years old! The blue quad - my buddy had one! The Hutch another buddy I went to middle school with had one. My good friend got a CW for Christmas one year, another good friend had a Diamondback. I had a 20 inch loop tail pk Ripper, I got frame and fork for $211.00 saved up from my paper route... good old days

we would all meet and hit up local tracks in Escondido on Saturday

mbrown2

Reaction score
This was an old build... I use to race a JMC from 9 to 11 so i found one to build pretty cheap in the early to 2000’s to relive my youth... all the good stuff Bullseye hubs, bb, redline flight cranks,... I sold it for a lot about 6 years ago... it’s probably worth double now with what these JMC’s are bringing ...
51AF0548-A509-46E3-80AB-E87C53AEA368.jpeg
387754AC-523D-46F1-B5E4-31C8C3E3A581.jpeg
21FFC45D-A1EF-4511-BC5B-71553CBCDB14.jpeg
E88367F5-8804-43BA-AB62-8135E9813A15.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score