WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat accident parker

grumpy88

Reaction score
Last evening there was a boat accident in the corner at River Lodge. A boat was pulling out of the marina and caught the side of another boat going by . A young 20 's something girl was thrown from the boat . She had neck and leg injuries . The video was horrific !

nowski

Reaction score
My last day on the water was this past Friday. I saw way too many near misses and the weekend was just getting started...

hallett21

Reaction score
Are there more boating accidents now'a days? Or is it just social media making every accident wide spread public knowledge?

Social media has a huge roll in it. If you go online and research the coast guard's website you'll see that in many areas accident numbers have maintained or gone down.

I hope everyone out this weekend stays safe.

However it's not a secret that there will be at least one accident between Havasu and Parker on a 4th of July weekend.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
How the hell do you hit a boat that is not even on plane and going less than 5 m.p.h.??? Not paying attention and going too fast.

Most likely culprit... drunk retard behind the wheel.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Saw all the emergency activity driving through last night...sad.[emoji20]

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
How the hell do you hit a boat that is not even on plane and going less than 5 m.p.h.??? Not paying attention and going too fast.

No shit.

Prayers for the little girl. [emoji26]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

I watch a couple times and keep wondering the same thing. What happened? Hopefully everyone is ok.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Are there more boating accidents now'a days? Or is it just social media making every accident wide spread public knowledge?

There are far too many people these days. Being one of the older generation and boating on Havasu and Parker for over 50 years I have seen a tremendous change in the shear number of people in boating and ALL way of life. Many of us remember the "good 'ole days" and just have to shake our heads in disbelief as how far it has come. Remember when a 21' daycruiser was a "battleship" on Havasu in the 70's or how about any boat other than a "flatty" on the strip in the 60's. It's just crazy anymore in all aspects. I know I'll get "called" on this view but unless one lived the days gone past one wouldn't know. Bob Patterson for ever!!!!

wishiknew

Reaction score
I bet they came around that corner and the sun was in their eyes that is a really bad corner

slowride

Reaction score
There are far too many people these days. Being one of the older generation and boating on Havasu and Parker for over 50 years I have seen a tremendous change in the shear number of people in boating and ALL way of life. Many of us remember the "good 'ole days" and just have to shake our heads in disbelief as how far it has come. Remember when a 21' daycruiser was a "battleship" on Havasu in the 70's or how about any boat other than a "flatty" on the strip in the 60's. It's just crazy anymore in all aspects. I know I'll get "called" on this view but unless one lived the days gone past one wouldn't know. Bob Patterson for ever!!!!
We actually spend LESS time at the river house during the Summer and haven't been out on a Summer Holiday weekend in a LONG time. It's the (im)perfect storm of inexperience, alcohol and congestion. We almost been taken out a few times and it's best we just remove at least one part of the equation to be safer.

Backlash

Reaction score
If you don't know that area of the river it gets a little thin with everyone trying to stay in the channel. I don't believe the sun was in the driver's eyes. He was going down river the same as the other boat. They wouldn't have the sun in their eyes until they made the corner after the entrance to the marina. That's where the river turners and continues west towards the setting sun. This accident happened before the turn in the river.

MSum661

Reaction score
If you don't know that area of the river it gets a little thin with everyone trying to stay in the channel. I don't believe the sun was in the driver's eyes. He was going down river the same as the other boat. They wouldn't have the sun in their eyes until they made the corner after the entrance to the marina. That's where the river turners and continues west towards the setting sun. This accident happened before the turn in the river.

Yep. After the turn to the right it's a straight shot in your eyes back down river.
Looks like a rear-end'er from not paying attention, jmo.

fmo24

Reaction score
As a kid in the 70's my parents actually talked about getting out of boating because of the "crowds" at the River and on the lakes. Pretty comical to think about now a days

Spot

Reaction score
Any update on the little girl?

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
Looking at all the pictures of Parker from the 80's I would say there are far less people on the water now. Just the simple cost comparison of boats, housing, and fuel made it far easier for people then. Add to that there was a lot less stuff to do and no video games, internet, tv so the thing to do was go to the river.
I would say we just know much more about incidents thanks to social media and reporting in general. More news stations or media, ect.

TCHB

Reaction score

The main reason we sold our Parker place because of the boat traffic, jet skis and the size of boats. I do not like playing follow the leader up and down the small river hoping the guy behind me stops if I have to stop.

2Driver

Reaction score
Thats a blind 45 degree turn and a 100' wide channel by the rock island off Holiday harbor and river lodge. You have to hug the shore as on coming traffic uses the rest of whats left of the channel.

Its easy if you are running fast to come around that turn and be surprised if a boat was there. It appeared in the video that the down river driver had a boat on his tail and one coming up river at him. All the reason to back it way down in that narrow slot.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
This is a different kind of boating, by a different kind of people .

I don't even try to equate people who built and worked on their boats in the olden days, to those who have a hard time controlling a big barge with power steering these days .

It's just not the same ............

shueman

Reaction score
Maybe it's time for some "no wake" zones around ingress/egress areas ... it's that way in many parts of the US on narrow rivers ...

BobbyB

Reaction score
My last day on the water was this past Friday. I saw way too many near misses and the weekend was just getting started...

I spent Thursday on the water, and it was cool. The campground became a zoo Thursday night. I bet Friday was a shit show.

Reaction score
Jesus Christ. Hope that girl is ok.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I've never understood the draw of going out on the holiday weekends. I know folks that never miss a Memorial Day, a 4th, or Labor Day. Different strokes, I guess.
I agree. I've been boating my whole life and I can probably count on one hand how many times I've actually gone boating on Memorial Day, 4TH of July and Labor Day....I always considered those rookie days.
Maybe it's time for some "no wake" zones around ingress/egress areas ... it's that way in many parts of the US on narrow rivers ...

Did you just call for a speed limit? :yikes:thumbsup:thumbsup

drew_built

Reaction score
I don't think the number of accidents have gone up I remember back when sundance was sundance every long weekend there were divers looking for someone haven't seen them in a while but then again since sundance isn't as popular maybe it's going on down river now

shawngr

Reaction score
I've been boating my whole life and have never encountered this.. Where talking 3rd generation... Some fucking people are fucked up and don't have a clue. These are the guys that probably take 20mins to launch.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I took my new boat out in Parker when I first bought it. As I was trying to pull up on the trailer I had a guy go by me in between the boat and the trailer at 50mph plus. Then after I was in the trailer a 24 HTM went by about 10ft off my stern. I was launching and retrieving at La Paz. People just don't give you enough room in Parker. I'm glad I don't boat there on a regular basis.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I've never boated on the river, and have no clue about that area either.
But it seems to me watching the video that hauling ass past an entrance to a cove or marina is asking for trouble no matter where you are boating?

Am I missing something?

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Here's the area.

You can see that there's not much room between the cove entrance and the River channel. Although watching the video it doesn't look like the slower boat came out of the cove, but was just going slowly, maybe going to go into the cove. If that's the case, it's up to the faster boat, who is overtaking the slower one, to avoid collision with another boat.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 49

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Here's the area.

You can see that there's not much room between the cove entrance and the River channel. Although watching the video it doesn't look like the slower boat came out of the cove, but was just going slowly, maybe going to go into the cove. If that's the case, it's up to the faster boat, who is overtaking the slower one, to avoid collision with another boat.

Alan - how did you like patrolling Parker on big weekends?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
It's a tight area for sure and you need to be on the defense going around that corner especially down river. That Daytona is probably just under an 80mph boat. Which to me isn't particularly fast for a cat. Still you want to be at a cruising speed where you can slow or speed up to avoid traffic. The fact that the owner wasn't driving it and maybe the driver didn't have a lot of experience with that boat, combined with alcohol and heavy traffic conditions made for a bad combination. [emoji1418]

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Alan - how did you like patrolling Parker on big weekends?

Dreaded it. Not so much because of the congestion, but because of the inevitable accidents. The more senior I got, the more I scheduled myself for morning to early afternoon shifts. More of the families were out then, skiing, tubing and enjoying themselves before the alcohol kicked in.

While accidents in the past 10 years or so had been way down, years ago it was total mayhem. I remember in the late '70s my Commanding Officer would call after the holiday weekends to bitch at us for not doing more "enforcement". They didn't care about violations, but the Coast Guard issues a "Report of Boarding" for each boat stopped. Even with no violations, we had to file the form. When we gave him the rundown on accidents and that it's hard to stop boats and do boardings when you spend all day going code 3 from collision to fire to collision to sinking, rinse, repeat.

One Memorial Day in the late '90s I did nothing but stop and book drunk boaters for 3 days. I'd no sooner get on the water and some drunk would do something stupid, I'd stop him, do my thing and haul him off to jail. I think all total we did about 50 OUIs in one weekend. And these were all righteous cases, no borderline OUIs. All well over .10%.

It gets to a point that after 40 years doing that shit, you're wanting to just sit back and stay inside all weekend. Which is pretty much what I've been doing since May 2015. :skull

And no way I'd even consider taking my own boats out on big weekends. It's no fun keeping a constant watch out just to keep from getting mowed down. When people almost run you over when you're in a boat with star decals and flashing lights all over them, there's no need to let them do it in a boat I paid for myself.