WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Batteries 2020

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I did a search but everything I looked at was at least a year old, if not 2-3. With the industry always changing, I wanted to pick the brain trust for opinions. Now, I know I will get a ton and I am good with that.

Currently have Interstates that are done. I have the cheap plastic boxes as well and will be picking up some billet boxes for whatever battery I choose to go with. Set up is a 525 w/a stereo that is maybe 2k watt. I dont run it as loud as possible and I do not run it for long - usually no more than an hour or two before I either turn it off or start it to move, etc.

Any info/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: DWC

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Regular high CCA battery for starting and a deep cycle for accessories/radio. Get yourself another perko so you can charge both batteries at the same time and use the perko to isolate them when you're sitting at the beach listening to tunes. The deep cycle will handle being drained down low like a champ whereas a normal lead acid doesnt take kindly to deep cycles.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I've always had good luck with the blue top Optimas, but I've heard their quality has declined over the years. Also price has gone up. I keep mine on a onboard battery charger when it sits for long periods and I'm sure that helps. Always fires right up.

Odyssey batteries are also supposed to be pretty good, pricey, but good. I think that's what DCB and everyone is using..?

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I've always had good luck with the blue top Optimas, but I've heard their quality has declined over the years. Also price has gone up. I keep mine on a onboard battery charger when it sits for long periods and I'm sure that helps. Always fires right up.

Odyssey batteries are also supposed to be pretty good, pricey, but good. I think that's what DCB and everyone is using..?

I looked into them, close to $800 all said and done for two batteries, plus another $550 in battery boxes. I rather spend $1500 in other areas.

The more research I do, the more I think I may consider sticking with getting new Interstates for another season or two and then upgrading.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I have used Napa legend batteries on all my boats ,They work great and last me about 4 years.
I know I will get shit about a car battery but they work find for my boats.
1582932667981.png

2Driver

Reaction score
Interstate HXDs

Ive posted before, the same group has 3 differnet qualities levels. the HXD are the top and I ran them for 5 years no issues.

PlanB

Reaction score
Odyssey! I have them in everything I own, and have never had a bad experience. The boat I have now came with Interstates and I gave them away and put in Odyssey's. 5 seasons now and they perform like new. The last boat had three powering my stereo and I got 8 seasons out of them before I sold the boat.

buck35

Reaction score
I have two anodized red holders for optimas if anyone is interested.

wet hull

Reaction score
I use XS power. Run 2 but have a big stereo. 1 interstate for the motor.I have gone 8+ hours and not even dropped voltage below 12v. They crank the motor over effortlessly when I have tried. I bought mine through Speed of Sound for the warranty and they were cheaper then website
Screenshot_20200228-171049_Chrome.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My last set of Blue Top Optimas went 8 years! We have the boat plugged in to a Guest 3 bank charger so it keeps the batteries trickle charged and juiced. Crazy how long they lasted

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
The last big US based manufacturer. I have the sears die hard platinum. Rebranded agm battery. Going strong for the last 9 years. I think since sears is done batteries plus has some rebrands in their higher lines.
The Duracell brand agm is an east penn.

With all that said I don’t know much about the smaller manufacturers and where there stuff is made

AGM batteries are very well suited for boats. Good load handling and vibration resistance

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ll be going XS when time comes. Expensive but seem to be best out there right now.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I use XS power. Run 2 but have a big stereo. 1 interstate for the motor.I have gone 8+ hours and not even dropped voltage below 12v. They crank the motor over effortlessly when I have tried. I bought mine through Speed of Sound for the warranty and they were cheaper then website View attachment 849577
Four and a half benji's...damn...

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Deka makes a starting/deep cycle combo battery that I’ve had good luck with.

Typically a deep cycle will have fewer but heavier plates in it for greater durability at the expense of cranking amps, while a starting battery has more but thinner plates for greater amps but less durability.

The Deka battery I mention is a compromise between the 2. Still enough CCA to crank anything but can handle some level of abuse....and they’re cheap.

Icky

Reaction score
I have 2 odyssey pc2150s , 3 or 4 season now.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Odyssey’s as well
IMG_4899.jpg

Also have a new one for sale
IMG_7804.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
4BC3FFB3-1B8B-4DCE-99B2-89E746536BCD.jpeg

I did a lot of shopping before I committed to these Group 34M Duracell’s from Batteries Plus last year. They were $186 each, and have a 4-year non-declining warranty. Price, warranty, and specs drove me to make the purchase.

*Edit* East Penn is the manufacturer of the Duracell AGM’s I bought. *

A lot of people think I’m nuts to have a house battery in an outboard boat, but the DTS engines are voltage sensitive, and I can’t think of anything good coming of not being able to leave when I want to.

Since I didn’t finish the boat until late last season, I didn’t do much sandbar hanging, but I’ve always got the stereo cranking while I’m working on it and have left it blasting for 3-4 hours with no issues. I have an isolator and Blue Sea switch that has 2 batteries on one switch that’s isolated, with a position to combine them if needed.

Odysseys are the best I know of, but you are paying for them.

Make sure whatever your choice is to have the compatible charger. This alone will help the longevity of your batteries.

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Deka makes a starting/deep cycle combo battery that I’ve had good luck with.

Typically a deep cycle will have fewer but heavier plates in it for greater durability at the expense of cranking amps, while a starting battery has more but thinner plates for greater amps but less durability.

The Deka battery I mention is a compromise between the 2. Still enough CCA to crank anything but can handle some level of abuse....and they’re cheap.

I picked one up this weekend. Crossing my fingers that i can keep this one alive.

DWC

Reaction score
Best way to make a battery last is to treat it right...disconnect when not in use, fully charge before storage.

A battery disconnect is on the to do list before the install. Got any suggestions? I was going to go with a simple knife type.

603E80B4-52E4-41BC-9A64-6DDF17D79376.jpeg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Perko switch is a good option...or a moroso or any of the cheap ones from Jegs or Summit.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Same here, although I can vouch for the quality decline unfortunately.
I have seen evidence of the latest units being a bit better, Ive got one good and one fried one currently -
on the Sebring the battery boxes are glassed in and made for optima's so Im stuck without a large rework for that boat.

A lone replacement is just under 300 bones now...

Given the price increase and a choice the odysseys have proven seriously tough with one set lasting nearly 10 years in the 2750 under BRUTAL conditions with each side being repeatedly drained to zero with stereo use and radar/gps on watchman and anchor mode in coves overnight , an onboard AC/ heater, chargers, lights all slamming the batts...

UD

Last edited:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
on the Sebring the battery boxes are glassed in and made for optima's so Im stuck without a large rework for that boat.

Well good thing you're in cahoots with some great fiberglass experts should you want to change that. ;)

Yeah the price has really gone up, the last set of blue tops I bought ~4 years ago was like $175 a piece. I don't think I'd pay $300 for an Optima, might as well get an Odyssey.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have seen evidence of the latest units being a bit better, Ive got one good and one fried one currently -

Given the price increase and a choice the odysseys have proven seriously tough with one set lasting nearly 10 years in the 2750 under BRUTAL conditions with each side being repeatedly drained to zero with stereo use and radar/gps on watchman and anchor mode in coves overnight , an onboard AC/ heater, chargers, lights all slamming the batts...

UD

Wasn’t aware you had AC and heat in that!

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score

UD

This is some good info. I am glad I went this route. I am now trying to decide if I should use their charger or go the route of buying an onboard one. What are you using for yours?

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
This is some good info. I am glad I went this route. I am now trying to decide if I should use their charger or go the route of buying an onboard one. What are you using for yours?
I've got a ProMariner ProSport 12 (or 20 I don't remember). I really like it, its a dual bank charger so it'll charge each battery individually based on need. Customer service is great too, the first one randomly died and they sent me out a new one no questions asked.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Wasn’t aware you had AC and heat in that!

It was one of those seemingly great ideas that works just "ok".

it has a cruise n comfort Peltier based (vs compressor or heat pump) unit thats got its own little water pump for when you are making heat with it.

It heats a lot better than it cools for those cold morning ocean runs to avalon or down to san diego.
for a quick nap laying in front of it or on a muggy night on a lake its a lot better than nothing.

It will flatten a pc2150 in 3 hours in either direction.

rpmsrup

Reaction score
Odyssey PC2150 is the best battery for everything marine. going on 4 years in my boat

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Dont know much about their charger as it came to market after I bought in, but id guess its probably pretty good, but how moisture tolerant it is would be a question.

I'm using 2 optimate 6's - one for each battery.

I've got over a dozen optimate 6's and they work on everything from a motorcycle battery to an 8D.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Battery holder/box glassed in - fitted for optimas....

GRRRRR

UD
IMG_0237.jpg

Last edited:

jet496

Reaction score
Interstate batteries have always been my preference, but sounds like those Odysseys may be better but I replace mine after 3 years no matter what & Interstates are easy to get. A cheap thing to do to ensure I'm able to crank out the tunes & then crank up the boat while out in the middle of the river or lake.

jailbird141

Reaction score
Can you remove your battery and give everyone a picture of the glassed in bottom? :rolleyes:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
HEHE ...what took you so long?

Big fun last weekend.

UD

fishing fool

Reaction score
Wired4sound has all your battery needs. Full river, odyssey, insterstate and optima. They can also make custom battery cables.. Battery chargers too.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Let me add.... Batteries are in stock with come custom billet battery boxes.

They also carry UTV batteries'

If you need a stereo or more bass they can do that too.