WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat blew up at Mead Marina

Andy B.

Reaction score
saw it today on a flatbed by the ramp.

Dalton

Reaction score
a relative of mine told me one time he stopped at a gas station and they put about 50 gallons in one of his fishing rod holders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I run the blower for a good amount of time before turning the key, but as I see these stories more and more, my pucker factor goes up just a bit right when I do it.

Taboma

Reaction score
a relative of mine told me one time he stopped at a gas station and they put about 50 gallons in one of his fishing rod holders

Ummm, well yup, my wife made that mistake helping me fuel one day at the Sea World gas docks on Mission Bay. I'd opened the gas filler cap, but four inches away was the rod holder hole, and that's where the nozzle ended up. :eek: Fortunately, the reason she had the nozzle duties is because I happened to have opened one of the engine hatches for a look see, and noticed the gas pouring down the inside of the transom. Luckily, only a couple of gallons were pumped before I got her stopped.

What a mess to clean up though. 😖 Then after that I had to scrub the bilge several more times with simple green to get the odor out, because we were still smelling it at night in the berth. 🤢

oldschool

Reaction score
They make gas detector warning devices for startup.
I had a fume detector in my last cruiser. If it detected gas fumes it would sound an alarm and light an indicator light. I believe it was a Fireboy/Xintex unit.

hallett21

Reaction score
Is it not just better to raise the hatch 50% open with the blowers on for 2 mins prior to ignition?

Allows you to smell for fumes as well.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Is it not just better to raise the hatch 50% open with the blowers on for 2 mins prior to ignition?

Exactly. Crack the hatch, once over while running the blower. Takes only an extra minute.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Dam!

B011E34B-9B16-4614-9C12-49AC994DF6AF.png

OC Mike

Reaction score
Exactly. Crack the hatch, once over while running the blower. Takes only an extra minute.

I have pondered this for awhile. I used to, Blower, crack hatch, wait a few, fire engine, close hatch.
Not so sure this is good. Being gas is heavier than air, the lower fuel would ignite, throwing a flame out the hatch towards the cockpit
as the open hatch fuels the fire. Not good.
New routine, blower, crack hatch, inspect and sniff, wait a few, close hatch. Start engine.
If there was fuel leak, hopefully cracking the hatch would alert me to it.
If not, at least cracking the hatch would depressurize the bilge alleviating an explosion.
Let the Fire Bouy smother the fire with the hatch closed.

This is how I look at it now.
Maybe I'm wrong....

manxman

Reaction score
use to rent seadoo's a few years ago. Seadoo sparks have an oil change port in the back side of the ski. Had a renter accidently fill the hull with about 10 gallons of gas at the mission bay fuel dock one day. Could have been real ugly, but luckly the fuel attendant caught it before he started it. That cost the guy some money to drain and air out the ski. I cant believe how stupid some people are!!
20190727_150422 (2).jpg

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I have pondered this for awhile. I used to, Blower, crack hatch, wait a few, fire engine, close hatch.
Not so sure this is good. Being gas is heavier than air, the lower fuel would ignite, throwing a flame out the hatch towards the cockpit
as the open hatch fuels the fire. Not good.
New routine, blower, crack hatch, inspect and sniff, wait a few, close hatch. Start engine.
If there was fuel leak, hopefully cracking the hatch would alert me to it.
If not, at least cracking the hatch would depressurize the bilge alleviating an explosion.
Let the Fire Bouy smother the fire with the hatch closed.

This is how I look at it now.
Maybe I'm wrong....
I make sure all of my fuel related components are well maintained. I'm with you though. Functioning blowers should be all you need when fuel is pumped properly.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

100%, I Always fully open the hatch and smell, look, then start.