WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat camping on Havasu

Boat Doctor

Reaction score
Looking to do some tent camping from the boat and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for the best spots on Havasu? I would like to be able to have a camp fire and the state park camping sites won't allow that, are you able to have one at the BLM camp sites? Anything I should be aware of? This will be our first time camping anywhere other than the Midwest so please school me!

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I have seen people camping in area's with pay boxes, 3 Dunes and other areas down river.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I like the one that is just south of cat tail cove. It has a bathroom, hay for pitching a tent, and outdoor bbq grill.
Not sure if fires are allowed. I would probably try a duraflame log in the bbq.

Some info here:

https://azcampguide.com/arizona-camping-regions/colorado-river-region/lake-havasu-shoreline-camps/

https://golakehavasu.com/activities/boating/boat-in-beaches-campsites/

lhccvb-boat-in-campsites-map-300x226.jpg

Attachments

• LHCCVB-Boat-In-Campsites-Map.pdf
    967.2 KB · Views: 110

Boat Doctor

Reaction score

teded

Reaction score
Call BLM,
‭(928) 505-1200‬
They will answer all your questions.

Sent from space

fmo24

Reaction score
There are a couple of nice spots down by the power lines. Just go check them out ahead of time.

Dylan

Reaction score
We’ve camped out at the beach behind pilot rock a few times, and had a blast. Did not see any snakes, but yeah they’re out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
If you shore camp in the general 3 Dunes/Cattail Cove area, Black Meadow Landing is just across the lake on the Calif side. Convenient for ice, beer and general supplies. They also have a fuel dock and a restaurant with a guest dock.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
As much as we love a campfire we have always found a cove and thrown out 2 anchors and stayed on the boat.
We've seen burros and coyotes come down for a drink.
If you have to camp in a tent i would get something like snake a way and spread it around the perimeter of your site.
The ones that contain naphthalene can be harmful to pets
Not sure if it has the same effect on scorpions but raccoons would be the least of my worries
enjoy!:D

Essexive G's

Reaction score
Looking to do some tent camping from the boat and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for the best spots on Havasu? I would like to be able to have a camp fire and the state park camping sites won't allow that, are you able to have one at the BLM camp sites? Anything I should be aware of? This will be our first time camping anywhere other than the Midwest so please school me!

If you want to boat camp, my suggestion would be to do it on Lake Mohave. Launch out of Cottonwood Cove. There are at least 15 sandy beaches within a few minutes from the marina large enough for tents, EZ Ups. They do allow campfires. This time of year you may see 5 to 10 other boats on the water all day. Bring a porta potty would be my only suggestion. Mohave camping is more primitive the Havasu.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I've camped in the GORGE because my boat broke down (wink,wink :)) it was awesome, just have to account for water drop. Waking up in the AM w/ no one around is almost as good as MEAD or POWELL. I would recommend MOJAVE or MEAD if you can swing it.You will need to bring everything you need on the boat w/ you. TEMPLE BAR is my go-to.

woodagain

Reaction score
I've camped in the GORGE because my boat broke down (wink,wink :)) it was awesome, just have to account for water drop. Waking up in the AM w/ no one around is almost as good as MEAD or POWELL. I would recommend MOJAVE or MEAD if you can swing it.You will need to bring everything you need on the boat w/ you. TEMPLE BAR is my go-to.

Taboma

Reaction score
There's an island across from and South of Copper. Pretty sweet if you can best it. No snakes. No raccoons. No wake zone too.

Regarding no snakes on the island --- well the water isn't going to stop them, so I wouldn't bank on no snakes. I've watched rattlers and gopher snakes swim across bays and out to islands.

woodagain

Reaction score
Once a year in the fall we leave the comfort of the river house and take
The whole family group(6) families
Including 8 grandkids from 17 to
2 yrs old camping on the sandbars at the Lower River. It’s Heaven , clean sand and so many stars at night.
Started the river this way back in the sixties and intend to keep it up.

Attachments

• 11B925CF-BD23-45F8-BC74-7EDE1C132261.jpeg
    11B925CF-BD23-45F8-BC74-7EDE1C132261.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 190
  • C25CDF65-175E-4869-A4EA-D00445F38B87.jpeg
    C25CDF65-175E-4869-A4EA-D00445F38B87.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 185
  • 761CB7E7-B651-416F-B3FE-C21D089C660C.jpeg
    761CB7E7-B651-416F-B3FE-C21D089C660C.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 171

Boat Doctor

Reaction score
2 yrs old camping on the sandbars at the Lower River. It’s Heaven , clean sand and so many stars at night.
Looks like a good time!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

Nice. Cool whaler too.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
If you want to boat camp, my suggestion would be to do it on Lake Mohave. Launch out of Cottonwood Cove. There are at least 15 sandy beaches within a few minutes from the marina large enough for tents, EZ Ups. They do allow campfires. This time of year you may see 5 to 10 other boats on the water all day. Bring a porta potty would be my only suggestion. Mohave camping is more primitive the Havasu.
I went there looking to get a snake skin belt....must have seen 50 snakes.... not one with a belt on though....

hold_j

Reaction score
Fiance and I are planning on doin some camping next weekend with some friends out in havasu on our boats for her birthday since thats what she wanted to do lol. Looking forward to it. In the air still about what spot to do it at. Steamboat or right around cat tail most likely

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk