WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat / car show Needles

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Went to the car / boat show in Needles today , was a little disappointed, wondering if I maybe expected too much ? It was $10 to get in and $10 to park . I thought the displays were a little weak and scattered through the grounds . There were some very nice boats and cars , just thought something was missing . Am I right ? Am I not ?

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
My Take on it. The weather leading up to the show sucked and I don't think I would have towed my show piece thru that crap. It truly was a downer for me and the wife as we are used to the shows of the past 4-6 years. The only thing that I come away with is, I'm glad I'm NOT 10 years younger or I would have that Yellow 19' CP Gullwing in my garage right now. Hell of a price!!

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
The Needles weekend has always been a great time for good friends to get together.The owners,vendors & families are all good friends.Not so much a Boat & Car Show,more like a party for everyone.The laughs on RDP from these guys over the years has been incredible. :)

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
The Needles weekend has always been a great time for good friends to get together.The owners,vendors & families are all good friends.Not so much a Boat & Car Show,more like a party for everyone.The laughs on RDP from these guys over the years has been incredible. :)

Yep exactly! It’s all about the party with everyone. Not to mention not a bad show for the middle of February in the middle of bum Fuck Egypt.

guest hs

Reaction score
Very disappointed at this years show. Very poor attendance of boats and the lack of boats entering the water was horrible. I have gone and even entered the last 6 years or so and it will be my last. $50 to enter and park as well WOW! Sorry Billy.

Keymyster

Reaction score
I'm done with it. Was nice to get out of the house but they keep trying to get more money out of us. Just sticking with going to Wieneshnitzel on a occasional Saturday. Only bad thing is no boats.

westair

Reaction score
Very disappointed at this years show. Very poor attendance of boats and the lack of boats entering the water was horrible. I have gone and even entered the last 6 years or so and it will be my last. $50 to enter and park as well WOW! Sorry Billy.
Sure can't control the weather and a lot of these boats have to travel a long distance to get there ..... weather did suck leading up to this so not a surprise. As far as boats in the water still not sure whats going on with that.

charlyox

Reaction score
I was there Friday and Saturday. Friday sucked as far as weather and attendance. I talked to Billy B. and he told me on Friday they had thirty cancellations due to weather. People just couldn't or didn't wan't to tow thru snow. I can't blame them. Saturday was much better. A lot more cars and boats rolled in. It was great to see a lot of friends. I even got down to wearing just a tee shirt because it to pretty nice out. A few boats made some passed which is always cool to see. They fired up those dragsters and shattered a few ear drums. I had ear plugs that were provided in my goody bag. ;-) . I know a lot of people were disappointed and I don't blame them but I had a great time.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Yeah the boat count was down but it was still a beautiful day to drink beer in a parking lot. Bunch of whinning babies
IMG_20190223_154521061_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190223_154208027_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190223_144907807.jpg
IMG_20190223_135629869_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190223_144604863.jpg
IMG_20190223_135453963_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190223_133643871_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190223_154823325.jpg
IMG_20190223_155343829_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190223_154342719.jpg
IMG_20190223_154112112_HDR.jpg

bagged97taco

Reaction score
2 years ago the sheriffs showed up and was harassing the boats that went into the water. Since then the amount of boats getting wet has gone down. We didn’t go this year for the first time in I don’t how many years. I know for a fact weather played a huge roll in boat count

howard21

Reaction score
I went and still had good time. Yeah attendance was down, but I'm sure weather was a big factor. Pretty crappy until day of show. I did notice there was not as much police presence like earlier years. CHP was there with a booth. Maybe city told local sheriff to stand down. Not really a MS 13 type crowd! I will be back next year.

Joker

Reaction score
I saw all i needed to see within an hour but stayed for 2 just to give the dog some exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkmoney

Reaction score
I saw all i needed to see within an hour but stayed for 2 just to give the dog some exercise.

Rdp history/miracle ..... jokeass showed up....[emoji39][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Husqy510

Reaction score
Im sure it was the weather. It didn't matter where you were coming from the days leading up to the show, you were likely going to be stuck in snow and rain. Attendance was down and the show suffered, but it wasn't due to a lack of effort by Billy and the people of Needles. I'm happy to pump a little money into tht community every year.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Sure can't control the weather and a lot of these boats have to travel a long distance to get there ..... weather did suck leading up to this so not a surprise. As far as boats in the water still not sure whats going on with that.
A couple affected the boats on the water.

1) As stated above, you have to have current registration on your boat to run it now.

2) many of the people that run their boats were not there this year. Some due to weather, some due to injuries, and some due to schedule conflicts.

The weather affected the boat count. No matter where you came from, you had to tow through snow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Agreed .....bad weather deal and put a dampener on the event.
I viewed the cost as supporting the cause of a nearly lost piece of Americana.

hallett21

Reaction score
The guys with no registration numbers, where do they run their boats normally?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A couple affected the boats on the water.

1) As stated above, you have to have current registration on your boat to run it now.

2) many of the people that run their boats were not there this year. Some due to weather, some due to injuries, and some due to schedule conflicts.

The weather affected the boat count. No matter where you came from, you had to tow through snow.

The event itself can pull a permit, and the boats that would run wouldn't need registration at that point. The event would have to cover liability insurance towards the boats / drivers etc.. and provide some basic things like Safety / Medical. That all said the event is technically liable right now if anyone goes out in their boat and wads one. I'm pretty sure they already have medical on standby for the event anyways.

As for the naysayers, it's 20 bucks it goes to a great cause (local charities), and you aren't going to see that many or that type of boats anywhere else. I thought it was a pretty good show, especially given the weather leading up to it etc..

RD

Swordfish

Reaction score
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0065.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0108.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg
IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0122.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg
Man I agree! Why all the whiners!! Saturday was freaking gorgeous! If we had fueled we would have dropped in and ran. There were still about 100 boats and a lot of new ones that I haven't seen which is always cool and a welcomed sight. Guy next top me made it from Sacramento. Went through hell to get there but made it. Lots of people Saturday and a great time. Thanks to Billy and all who put it on. Always great to get the boat out and kick the year off even if things weren't perfect. Hopefully next year the weather cooperates a little better!

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 170

Phil Niblack

Reaction score
Went to the car / boat show in Needles today , was a little disappointed, wondering if I maybe expected too much ? It was $10 to get in and $10 to park . I thought the displays were a little weak and scattered through the grounds . There were some very nice boats and cars , just thought something was missing . Am I right ? Am I not ?
Hi out there. My name is Phil Niblack and my brother in law Tad Davis and I have been attending this show since the beginning only missing a couple years in between. Tad and I grew up in the heyday of drag boat racing in the 80's and 90's helping out his Dad Troy Davis and driver Steve Varner with the caught in the act alcohol and fuel hydros. Needless to say this stuff is in there blood. Walking through the pits this year and talking to new and old friends the same sentiment was heard over and over. Guys were wanting to launch but were sketched out about the sheriffs and expired tags, zoomies, etc.... I decided to talk with the three sheriffs that were posted by the launch ramp. I explained to them what was going on and they opened my eyes a bit on what Dave was explaining in the post above. Corporal Vessells explained to me that all that needs to be done is have a form filled out to the coast guard, (which does not cost a dime) and have a safety boat in place and the event would be considered a closed course event similar to Desert Storm, the Parker races, etc... He explained to me that they would not need to even be there once this permit was issued and that if we wanted to back in a full race top fuel hydro then more power to you. Yes liability insurance would need to be obtained but for the minimal cost to insure this event it would be a great piece of mind for everyone involved especially the promoter. I met and spoke with Billy this weekend and he is a very polite and appreciative man and made me feel welcome being this was the first time in 10 years that we actually spoke. This is by no means to bash anyone I just feel very strongly about V-drives and the history of our great sport and want to see my children continue on with this unique and awesome slice of boating. This show can not continue in this direction if it is to survive. If Billy or anyone would like Tad' s help and my help please reach out and I would love to be part of keeping this awesome show thriving for years to come. I had a great weekend and met awesome people as always but one last bitch. The announcer sucked terribly! There is a reason I only post maybe once a year as I get a bit carried away. Work hard and play harder brothers! Phil Niblack

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
I guess I am one of the naysayers. I went late Saturday afternoon and they said $10.00 to park in the dirt and $10.00 per person. I said no thanks and made a u turn and went to Laughlin for the day. 3 other vehicles around me did the same u turn. I have been other years and enjoyed the show but that price turned me away.

milkmoney

Reaction score
What a bunch of cheap assclowns. When the money goes to good causes...and complain over 20 bucks.
You ever go to Sporting events or downtown in bigger cities to park ...

Only reason I didnt make it , didnt Make plans in advance.......

This event is one of these nostalgia things we need to keep going for other generations to keep going ....

That's all I got to say about that
[emoji41][emoji106][emoji202]

milkmoney

Reaction score
I guess I am one of the naysayers. I went late Saturday afternoon and they said $10.00 to park in the dirt and $10.00 per person. I said no thanks and made a u turn and went to Laughlin for the day. 3 other vehicles around me did the same u turn. I have been other years and enjoyed the show but that price turned me away.
How much you spend in Laughlin. Hope you won money ...so you can afford next year lol [emoji39][emoji202]

73mandella

Reaction score

We all have different value systems. I entered two boats (don't recall what it cost) and our cousin entered his boat. We also spent 3 nights at the resort down the street (I also don't recall what that cost). Despite the fact that many boats couldn't make it to the show(most likely due to the weather), we had a great time. It's all about boats, family, friends, and meeting new people. Money well spent on my part and we'll be there again next year if I can get the time off work.

Thanks to everyone who work so hard to put on the show.

Phil Niblack

Reaction score
What a bunch of cheap assclowns. When the money goes to good causes...and complain over 20 bucks.
You ever go to Sporting events or downtown in bigger cities to park ...

Only reason I didnt make it , didnt Make plans in advance.......

This event is one of these nostalgia things we need to keep going for other generations to keep going ....

That's all I got to say about that
emoji41.png
emoji106.png
emoji202.png

Joker

Reaction score
I enjoyed the show. Better than sitting on the couch and watching tv. I coulda parked for free on the side road but what’s 10 bucks?

Reactions: D19

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I enjoyed the show and had a great time.

MSum661

Reaction score
Hi out there. My name is Phil Niblack and my brother in law Tad Davis and I have been attending this show since the beginning only missing a couple years in between. Tad and I grew up in the heyday of drag boat racing in the 80's and 90's helping out his Dad Troy Davis and driver Steve Varner with the caught in the act alcohol and fuel hydros. Needless to say this stuff is in there blood. Walking through the pits this year and talking to new and old friends the same sentiment was heard over and over. Guys were wanting to launch but were sketched out about the sheriffs and expired tags, zoomies, etc.... I decided to talk with the three sheriffs that were posted by the launch ramp. I explained to them what was going on and they opened my eyes a bit on what Dave was explaining in the post above. Corporal Vessells explained to me that all that needs to be done is have a form filled out to the coast guard, (which does not cost a dime) and have a safety boat in place and the event would be considered a closed course event similar to Desert Storm, the Parker races, etc... He explained to me that they would not need to even be there once this permit was issued and that if we wanted to back in a full race top fuel hydro then more power to you. Yes liability insurance would need to be obtained but for the minimal cost to insure this event it would be a great piece of mind for everyone involved especially the promoter. I met and spoke with Billy this weekend and he is a very polite and appreciative man and made me feel welcome being this was the first time in 10 years that we actually spoke. This is by no means to bash anyone I just feel very strongly about V-drives and the history of our great sport and want to see my children continue on with this unique and awesome slice of boating. This show can not continue in this direction if it is to survive. If Billy or anyone would like Tad' s help and my help please reach out and I would love to be part of keeping this awesome show thriving for years to come. I had a great weekend and met awesome people as always but one last bitch. The announcer sucked terribly! There is a reason I only post maybe once a year as I get a bit carried away. Work hard and play harder brothers! Phil Niblack

Just reading the name Steve Varner again sends a adrenaline spike through my veins.
"How's my Driving? Call 1-800-Eat Shit"........he wore it well on His sleeve. (For reals.)
Still feels like yesterday. Varner, Keyes, Kirby torquing out some big runs up on the ragged edge in front of some BIG crowds.
Will never forget it!

Dog boy

Reaction score
They have free paved parking at a hotel next to interstate 40 and a free shuttle to the event.Complaining about $10 to go see some great boats and cars you have got to be kidding.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Some folks just don’t get it.....30 dollars and Laughlin now we’re really talking world class fun......You must be kidding me!!!

Lifes Rough

Reaction score
I paid my entry, ran my boat and had a great time. Spoke with many old friends also. I would like to thank Billy and everyone else who helped put this on and suffered through the shit weather to do so. Thank god and mother nature for the great Saturday show weather. Anyone worried about 10 or 20 dollars, Sorry about your luck.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I almost can't believe the whining..really I can't. I drove 860 miles through every kind of obstacle you can think of...towing a Schiada. 20 fucking bucks..really..had three people in truck..split the parking three ways..WOW that's a killer...bad ass cackle boats and cars...(not my thing) but many gathered...so the boat count was down and now we are looking at a funeral for the event??? REALLY...?? If you are anti social...or really don't care to be around lot's of cool people with similar interests...then I get it..Stay away. But in my truest honest thoughts...I would pay 10 to park and 10 to enter if it was only the people and NO boats...plust the 500.00 spent in fuel to make the trip...JMO

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Well said....Maybe the left wingers would make the event free....Stupid me, specifically V drives would be banned under the “Green Deal”.

Dana757

Reaction score
All anyone needs to run their boat is a valid registration, fire ex and throw cushion. You know, the normal stuff. Cops never cared about noise.
As far as the costs ...... if I'm counting dollars I stay home.

D19

Reaction score
Gosh! All this belly-aching over $20.

This thread makes me the think of people who nitpick the bill at a restaurant... "Who had the Ice tea?"... We didn't eat any of the nachos, so we are not paying for those!"

I bet $100 that if the event was free, people would find something to gripe about. Some people are just that way.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I almost can't believe the whining..really I can't. I drove 860 miles through every kind of obstacle you can think of...towing a Schiada. 20 fucking bucks..really..had three people in truck..split the parking three ways..WOW that's a killer...bad ass cackle boats and cars...(not my thing) but many gathered...so the boat count was down and now we are looking at a funeral for the event??? REALLY...?? If you are anti social...or really don't care to be around lot's of cool people with similar interests...then I get it..Stay away. But in my truest honest thoughts...I would pay 10 to park and 10 to enter if it was only the people and NO boats...plust the 500.00 spent in fuel to make the trip...JMO
Well said. Just getting together with old friends and meeting new ones is priceless.

My cost to come to this event from where I am at is expensive, air fare rent a car , hotels etc etc. Like many others and the only thing I say when I get back is , what a great trip.

I am bummed I didnt plan to make it this year. ....see ya next year [emoji39][emoji106][emoji202]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have offered to Billy a couple of times to help change some minor things at the event that I think would make big differences.

I.E. the 10.00 to Park and 10.00 to enter per person.

I get it..

However if a nice person came up and said “It’s ten dollars to Park, and 10.00 to enter but all the funds Goto the local chamber and are dispersed across local charities.” That changes things. Even add in the line “We also offer free parking and a free shuttle to the show”. And it changed things even more.

Now people are happy to pay instead of griping.

There’s a hundred things you can do that would change the experience without having to jump through large hoops.

As I said above, a permit and insurance and now the registrations are irrelevant etc.

Joker

Reaction score
The guy i followed in sat there and argued about the 10 bucks then made a uturn and left.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I think where people get confused is, this is not a donut derelicts, cars and coffee , retailer promoted to sell pretzels and yogurt, first Sunday morning, get together.
Those people standing in the parking lot aren't doing it for fun, they want to pick up an extra fifty bucks for Saturday morning.
I went last year for the day, it was a 600-mile trip. 10 bucks to park and get in didn't register. It's a get-together for everybody. Everybody pitches in.
Nobody profits, everybody wins.

milkmoney

Reaction score
The guy i followed in sat there and argued about the 10 bucks then made a uturn and left.

Fuck him too......[emoji39][emoji202]

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So who's Scott Morrow and what did he do? Apparently he isn’t invited next year

milkmoney

Reaction score
I have offered to Billy a couple of times to help change some minor things at the event that I think would make big differences.

I.E. the 10.00 to Park and 10.00 to enter per person.

I get it..

However if a nice person came up and said “It’s ten dollars to Park, and 10.00 to enter but all the funds Goto the local chamber and are dispersed across local charities.” That changes things. Even add in the line “We also offer free parking and a free shuttle to the show”. And it changed things even more.

Now people are happy to pay instead of griping.

There’s a hundred things you can do that would change the experience without having to jump through large hoops.

As I said above, a permit and insurance and now the registrations are irrelevant etc.
Bullshit ....you stand for America don't you lol

You go to the event, you pay the price, you go inside and see the event you just paid for ...... how in the fuck can you come up with a idea to help these cheap assclowns to understand why and where there 10 bucks to park and their 10 bucks to get in is going to be used.

So in that case let's give everyone a 1st place trophy that entered the show with their boat , car etc ......

RD you jumped the shark lol [emoji41][emoji202]