WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat chit...what's it worth?

playdeep

Reaction score
Found a bitchin' little 18 ft Taylor jet boat.Built in 1976.Original owner.
Always liked the looks of this Taylor.
20221012_111824.jpg
20221012_111807.jpg
20221012_111824.jpg
20221012_111807.jpg
20221012_111838.jpg
20221012_111759.jpg
20221012_112341.jpg
20221012_111824.jpg
20221012_111807.jpg
20221012_111838.jpg
20221012_111759.jpg
20221012_112341.jpg

Thought it might be a fun weekday Parker kinda boat.
Boat was unused from 2002 til 2020.It's stupid clean&shows as near new.
Needs a throttle/reverse cable.
I know the 455 Olds is a grenade.
Guy's asking $5500.
Thoughts from the inmates?

Attachments

• 20221012_112332.jpg
    20221012_112332.jpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 22

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Could probably live with the Olds, but the E-Pump would be a deal killer.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
455....just needs a 10 qt marine pan and a restrictor kit for the them big ass oil galleys....so the oil stays down below especially a bouncy ass jet boat. Oh....and no WOT for super long. 😂

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I don’t know man.
You can’t swap anything on that without swapping everything, so that’s out.
It’s tempting as a bargain jet for weekday runs, but as a jet boat guy I see a LOT of continuous maintenance and fixes that can’t be fixed.
You got logs, and an olds. Just changing gaskets is going to lead to broken bolts, rusted out shit, who knows what.
What you want for a cheap jet with easy maintenance and low cost is a Chevy and a Berkeley.
That isn’t just personal preference, it’s hard dollars and sense.

But if the thing runs and drives and doesn’t leak anywhere it might be an option at $4K or so?
Reason I say that is because when something needs fixed it’s either going to be discarded or a lot more money.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
455....just needs a 10 qt marine pan and a restrictor kit for the them big ass oil galleys....so the oil stays down below especially a bouncy ass jet boat. Oh....and no WOT for super long. 😂
Hardin did a test a 100 years ago when Steve Strange worked there and they found that each valve cover had 2 qts of oil in them at 3500 RPMs. That 10 qt is a must and the restrictors. If I remember correctly didn't we roll the cam bearings so only 1/2 the hole would flow????

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Hardin did a test a 100 years ago when Steve Strange worked there and they found that each valve cover had 2 qts of oil in them at 3500 RPMs. That 10 qt is a must and the restrictors. If I remember correctly didn't we roll the cam bearings so only 1/2 the hole would flow????
That's sounds about right..lol

455 Olds....more spun bearings than an X Games skateboard competition...😂

HST4ME

Reaction score
At least the valve train all points in the right directions.

playdeep

Reaction score
I don’t know man.
You can’t swap anything on that without swapping everything, so that’s out.
It’s tempting as a bargain jet for weekday runs, but as a jet boat guy I see a LOT of continuous maintenance and fixes that can’t be fixed.
You got logs, and an olds. Just changing gaskets is going to lead to broken bolts, rusted out shit, who knows what.
What you want for a cheap jet with easy maintenance and low cost is a Chevy and a Berkeley.
That isn’t just personal preference, it’s hard dollars and sense.

But if the thing runs and drives and doesn’t leak anywhere it might be an option at $4K or so?
Reason I say that is because when something needs fixed it’s either going to be discarded or a lot more money.
Appreciate the feedback.
As far as Jet boats go I am a neophyte.
I know Oldsmobile 's are ticking time bombs.
Guy's firm at $5500...he says.
My thinking is cheaper than a jet ski&might be a fun little putt around non weekend float.

wzuber

Reaction score
I'm a neophyte when it comes to Jets...
What's an E-pump?
And what are the issues...?
TIA.
Issues, none really. mostly just maintenance on the rubber boots and a bit limited on diverter options. Everything except the suction piece is the same as a standard berk pump. Just don't plan to put too much h.p. to it.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
For the shape it's in and prices these days $5500 doesnt seem out of line if it runs and drives. I am a jet bote guy and there is nothing wrong with that set up. Is it going to go out and be fastest on the river, no! Is it going to be a great cruiser, YES! Nothing wrong with an olds for a cruiser. I know there is some shit you have to block off under the intake and some oil mods. I personally have never had one but they are in abundance on our river. An E pump is a model of pump mostly built by Berkley. Not a performance pump but will work fine with that set up. Nice thing is at least the clean out will be on the outside of the boat with an E. JMO

@n2otoofast4u can fill you in with all needed for an olds. He had a hondo day cruiser with an olds that was bullet proof!

Or ask @jetboatperformance

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
E pump is an insert style pump. When laminating the hull they put a insert in the mold and glass the suction transition, ramp etc. Into the hull.
Instead of the pump having the standard cast alum. Intake adapter bolted and epoxied into the hull keel and the cast suction piece which houses the thrust bearing, pump shaft, Impeller wear ring etc. that bolts between the adapter and the bowl. It was a little cheaper for them to build and a little faster for a boat mfg. To install the pump.

wzuber

Reaction score
Olds engines work fine if you keep them at moderate rpms and don't get too racey with them. As others have noted... large capacity oil pan, restrictions in the galleys and the block offset in the heads @ the exhaust heat riser ports and no riser port in the manifold. Also keep the exhaust manifolds flat at the exhaust flange. With bolt pattern in line as they are the manifolds can warp easily there. That flange needs to be very thick and flat. Probably best to seal w/silicone to help prevent drawing the bolt flange toward the head. IMO...the price isn't bad if the engine & pump have no repairs required to put into service. Water test for sure before buying.....

wzuber

Reaction score
@Moneypit used to build a lot olds eng. For peeps. I'm sure he's got some good insight if he comes on the boards here anymore?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
So for 46 years this boat has functioned (and was built new) without the oil system mods being discussed, and is sitting how the manufacture built it.
Why all of a sudden does it need the engine to come out, a new oiling system installed, intake manifold pulled, etc?
Pulling the engine is going to immediately escalate to the things I mentioned. Gaskets, possible log corrosion revealed, at least 1-2 broken exhaust bolts, replacing every rubber piece involved…if you can find them…and by the time the same power plant is reinstalled it’ll be double the work and cost first calculated.
If you’re gonna buy this boat to drive it as an inexpensive weekday sled, I would not dig into at all. We ALL know where that leads!! Lol

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
So for 46 years this boat has functioned (and was built new) without the oil system mods being discussed, and is sitting how the manufacture built it.
Why all of a sudden does it need the engine to come out, a new oiling system installed, intake manifold pulled, etc?
Pulling the engine is going to immediately escalate to the things I mentioned. Gaskets, possible log corrosion revealed, at least 1-2 broken exhaust bolts, replacing every rubber piece involved…if you can find them…and by the time the same power plant is reinstalled it’ll be double the work and cost first calculated.
If you’re gonna buy this boat to drive it as an inexpensive weekday sled, I would not dig into at all. We ALL know where that leads!! Lol

100%

And who is to say that work hasn't already been done🤷🏻‍♂️ its lasted this long

wzuber

Reaction score
Who said the eng. Needed to come out? The mods are just info. For the op to inquire about or better understand the known typical limitations of the particular power plant if he's unfamiliar w/it/them.

clark

Reaction score
if you don't want it let me know i'll take it, send me the info for the owner

TrollerDave

Reaction score
For a mid-week cruiser, that’s a cool ride. It looks super clean. Any used boat is going to have something to fix, especially if it’s been sitting. If you got the means…
You don’t see these out here on the west coat very often.

Last edited:

pixrthis

Reaction score
$5,500 for a boat that clean? I’ll buy if you don’t and enjoy the shit out of it. If you buy it and take care of it you will easily sell it for what you paid for it or more.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Olds engines work fine if you keep them at moderate rpms and don't get too racey with them. As others have noted... large capacity oil pan, restrictions in the galleys and the block offset in the heads @ the exhaust heat riser ports and no riser port in the manifold. Also keep the exhaust manifolds flat at the exhaust flange. With bolt pattern in line as they are the manifolds can warp easily there. That flange needs to be very thick and flat. Probably best to seal w/silicone to help prevent drawing the bolt flange toward the head. IMO...the price isn't bad if the engine & pump have no repairs required to put into service. Water test for sure before buying.....
Back in my day, I never put the logs back on without taking two ball-peens and put one in the stud hole and smack it with the other going away from the head surface. Then by all means use high temp black silicone on the surface before tightening down, working from the inner two studs out. In fact I just showed a friend that little trick on his 454 about a month ago that was leaking, imagine that. Guess what, NO leaky any longer.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Found a bitchin' little 18 ft Taylor jet boat.Built in 1976.Original owner.
Always liked the looks of this Taylor. View attachment 1165180 View attachment 1165181 View attachment 1165180 View attachment 1165181 View attachment 1165182 View attachment 1165183 View attachment 1165184 View attachment 1165180 View attachment 1165181 View attachment 1165182 View attachment 1165183 View attachment 1165184
Thought it might be a fun weekday Parker kinda boat.
Boat was unused from 2002 til 2020.It's stupid clean&shows as near new.
Needs a throttle/reverse cable.
I know the 455 Olds is a grenade.
Guy's asking $5500.
Thoughts from the inmates?
Nice , Very original I'd snatch it up !

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
At $5500 I think that's a cool little bote..... DRIVE IT LIKE A NORMAL PERSON.... Its not a drag boat, its not a speed demon! CRUISE it, and it will last forever....... Ya'll can say what you want, but I put THOUSANDS of miles on my last 455 without issues. Drive it easy, change the oil every once in awhile, and enjoy it....

playdeep

Reaction score
Walk up with cash in hand Michael! You need to get back on the water!
Tim...I agree,been too long
I'm not racing anymore so I I have more free time and $$$$ to throw at a water toy.
I miss those days at the Butte when we were all throwing stupid money into our big V- bottoms to outrun each other and then drinking beer afterwards...

ridebig

Reaction score
Tim...I agree,been too long
I'm not racing anymore so I I have more free time and $$$$ to throw at a water toy.
I miss those days at the Butte when we were all throwing stupid money into our big V- bottoms to outrun each other and then drinking beer afterwards...
I really miss those day's.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I built many an Olds in my day. I owned one in my Spico Flat I made a fairly reliable 6500 rpm runner but it took allot of money and several
miss-steps along the way. We used to chain cylinder heads together and use for a boat anchor. A loss created by drilling for 3/8 push rods.

That Taylor would be perfect left just as it is. It will likely run 50 mph and will be a bitchen discussion piece.

If you hot rod that engine you will be an unhappy dude.

Last edited:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

wzuber

Reaction score
A bit limited on diverter options?

What’s better than a place diverter for an E pump?

nothing at all. Just don't necessarily have options with other diverter mfg.'s and nozzle type options. I don't think "E" pumps came with "G" bowls so if you wanted to say add a droop or other accessories you have to spend more $$ to change out the bowl, get longer control cables etc. So your spending a good bit more $$ to get the higher perf. setup if one so desires.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
nothing at all. Just don't necessarily have options with other diverter mfg.'s and nozzle type options. I don't think "E" pumps came with "G" bowls so if you wanted to say add a droop or other accessories you have to spend more $$ to change out the bowl, get longer control cables etc. So your spending a good bit more $$ to get the higher perf. setup if one so desires.
If you’re talking about the “other” Bushwhacker diverter that is very dead and gone. Sued out of existence.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Duane cut my one piece up into a 2 piece.
👍👍

E5C736DE-FBC7-427F-84A7-7E683FF6AE0F.jpeg
45A72973-254B-4685-9F7F-DE71F92EA32C.jpeg

hman442

Reaction score
Olds rock, I could never blow one up! The way I look at, if the engine does need something, due to sitting or age, that's easy, have it fixed in a week or two. If the boat needed apholstery, then, it goes off to apholstery jail for six months, at least, around here anyways. This boat looks like a cherry, a time capsule. Buy it, run it, fix it if it breaks. Good times! Tow it with a Toronado 😀