WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat cover - towing with it???

sirbob

Reaction score
Edit: found clips

see post number 9... thoughts??

I need to find some of these plastic clips in Havasu ASAP.

haha - I’ve had this cover for over 10 years (it’s from the old boat) and I’ve never put it on before!

I’m in Havasu doing a few last min things before I take off for a cross country trip and I finally had a reason to use the cover.

Wouldn’t you know as soon as I cinch the top down one of these cracks and breaks off..

I have to believe that all of them are going to shit the bed once I get on the hwy -

Who has these in stock in town today???

BF889C65-8ECE-4BE1-89A1-84A674A09D17.jpeg
AFD846DB-7C55-4505-B0D6-8D7CD5B99929.jpeg

Last edited:

fmo24

Reaction score
Do you any old ski vest. In a pinch you can use those

sirbob

Reaction score
Do you any old ski vest. In a pinch you can use those

Good idea as a back up - I have a bunch in the boat.

The bad news is - I have to take the cover off to get them!

did I mention it’s 118 out here right now - it was a lather getting both tops on solo!

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Some thoughts on the tow your boat w/ a cover on unless your exposed rubbing areas of GEL is thoroughly protected w/ a plastic Wrap or something etc. Had a clown that did some work on my boat years back tow from the storage unit out at the highway Loves/Chevron down the 95 to Havasu w/ my cover on fucked up the black windshield on my Sabre real bad He had to cut me a check after I informed him of this.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Walmart in the camping section...they have those for pack straps, like loops for sleeping bags, couple bucks each IIRC.

DLC

Reaction score
Fabric shop
Craft store

Maybe get some heavy duty zip ties and wrap them around and thru the snap buckles as a precaution - 2nd tie

sirbob

Reaction score
Some thoughts on the tow your boat w/ a cover on unless your exposed rubbing areas of GEL is thoroughly protected w/ a plastic Wrap or something etc. Had a clown that did some work on my boat years back tow from the storage unit out at the highway Loves/Chevron down the 95 to Havasu w/ my cover on fucked up the black windshield on my Sabre real bad He had to cut me a check after I informed him of this.

Now that I have the cover on I’m actually second-guessing if I should tow with it or not. I do have painters tape and microfiber rags to put under the straps were they rub on the hull. However I’m not sure if that’s going to be sufficient or if I’m going to get to the other side of the country and end up having a mess of my gel coat??

sirbob

Reaction score
Normally they flap and beat the shit out of your gel

Yes - I was thinking of taping edges and using micro fiber rags at contact points.

Just not sure it’s going to be enough?

it is a double layer cover with a flannel type material underneath.

sirbob

Reaction score
Any body have any idea what a shrink wrap would cost - I assume Nordic could do it or another local builder?

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Now that I have the cover on I’m actually second-guessing if I should tow with it or not. I do have painters tape and microfiber rags to put under the straps were they rub on the hull. However I’m not sure if that’s going to be sufficient or if I’m going to get to the other side of the country and end up having a mess of my gel coat??

Go to Walmart and but some of the cheap fleece blankets(like $10ea) and cover the boat. Tape them down with painters tape, then put your cover on.

But if your cover isnt built for towing it will look like a parachute going down the road and rip the cover where the straps are sewn on.

sirbob

Reaction score
Go to Walmart and but some of the cheap fleece blankets(like $10ea) and cover the boat. Tape them down with painters tape, then put your cover on.

But if your cover isnt built for towing it will look like a parachute going down the road and rip the cover where the straps are sewn on.

The cover is 2 parts - an under layer that is flannel / then the sunbrella over it

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Have Nordic or one of the other boat builders in town shrink wrap it. Those plastic buckles are meant to keep a breeze from blowing the cover off while it’s in your yard, not 80+ on the highway.

It’ll be worth the cost.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Have you thought about all the rocks you kick up that hit the bottom of your boat. Never thought about it until I saw a thread showing wide mud flaps used for that purpose. Just trying to give you something else to do while it’s cool out 😉

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
If that cover is ten years old with original stitching, good luck. Also if it’s not a correctly designed “towing cover”, no way I’d ever even tow with it, especially on a dark boat like yours.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If that cover is ten years old with original stitching, good luck. Also if it’s not a correctly designed “towing cover”, no way I’d ever even tow with it, especially on a dark boat like yours.

Agreed

franky

Reaction score
Condition aside, if it has a flanel liner it is meant to tow. As long as it was made for the boat and fits tight, you are golden. My first Cole had two covers, a flanel inner, sum withbrella outer, lots of straps and was meant for towing. JM2C

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
The front two straps by the sponson and I believe the second set will rub against the gel. I have the exact same cover. It works good on the top and sides and rear of boat but the straps rub. It’s a nice cover especially with the soft inner cover. I would definitely put something in place of the straps. Also be gentle on the straps I have broken a couple while strapping down. 😂

port austin pirate

Reaction score
Towed Dragboat a lot of miles when we raced covered air scoop fitted cover, put plastic bag taped over dist and caps on exhaust and prop cover, never had any luck towing with full covers have seen tunneau cvrs that worked well towing with full covers usually resulted in more damage than open, short tight bow covers seem to work well

sirbob

Reaction score
The front two straps by the sponson and I believe the second set will rub against the gel. I have the exact same cover. It works good on the top and sides and rear of boat but the straps rub. It’s a nice cover especially with the soft inner cover. I would definitely put something in place of the straps. Also be gentle on the straps I have broken a couple while strapping down. 😂

Have you towed long haul or around town?

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
By the look of the straps you’ll be lucky to make it across the state before it comes apart, the webbing looks faded so I’m sure the stitching is as well.
Can you tell if the thread feels like regular thread or is at acrylic? I’m going to guess it’s probably regular so there for it’s only good for 5 years in the sun. Sunbrella is good for 15 years or so, the thread isn’t. That’s why most places give you a 5 year restitch

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

Should have "Shrink Wrapped" it

srttruck

Reaction score

The sunbrella type fabrics stretch and start flapping once you get up in speed. I wouldn't tow with it, been there done that and it cost a day of buffing to fix it. Not sure what it cost there but it's about $14 foot here to shrink wrap.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Have you thought about all the rocks you kick up that hit the bottom of your boat. Never thought about it until I saw a thread showing wide mud flaps used for that purpose. Just trying to give you something else to do while it’s cool out 😉

My sponsons got hammered on my Powell trip- Truck has no flaps and is lifted. Another check cut to Chris at Lavey for the re-gel :rolleyes:

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I wouldn’t tow with a cover on, unless....... it is an actual towing cover. A towing cover usually has a soft liner sewn into the underside of the cover, has a very secure strap system and rear facing vents to draw vacuum and keep the cover from flapping. If you tow any distance with a normal cover, it will flap and abrade anything it comes in contact with.

brgrcru

Reaction score
your taking the boat on a cross country trip ?

Have fun
My bucket list has that on it

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…A friend of mine who has had a boat related business for decades has always said there is it no such thing as a towing cover …in other words he would say don’t do it …but it makes me wonder how well shrink wrap works???…

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
…A friend of mine who has had a boat related business for decades has always said there is it no such thing as a towing cover …in other words he would say don’t do it …but it makes me wonder how well shrink wrap works???…

We had the wife’s new boat delivered from across the country. It was shrink wrapped, and the boat was absolutely spotless inside. And not a single scuff from the wrap. The cover was folded up inside the boat. Really, this is the way to go if its available.