WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Maybe I need to take a break from RDP for a while. I'm not sure how this thread turned into a thread about me but that's lame. @Lunatic Fringe...I did not call you a liar and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I quoted a part of your post about the motor being fine and I said I smell BS and posted a meme of a guy spraying air freshener because at the time I thought there is no way of saving a motor that has been under water without tearing it apart. I've since learned that's not the case. As far as my other posts they are still there so anyone can go back and read them. Before LF's posts explaining what happened other people posted almost exactly what I did, but yet I get flamed.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

DMF

Reaction score
Maybe I need to take a break from RDP for a while. I'm not sure how this thread turned into a thread about me but that's lame. @Lunatic Fringe...I did not call you a liar and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I quoted a part of your post about the motor being fine and I said I smell BS and posted a meme of a guy spraying air freshener because at the time I thought there is no way of saving a motor that has been under water without tearing it apart. I've since learned that's not the case. As far as my other posts they are still there so anyone can go back and read them. Before LF's posts explaining what happened other people posted almost exactly what I did, but yet I get flamed.

Have you been attending sensitivity classes? What the hell happened to Grads??

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Have you been attending sensitivity classes? What the hell happened to Grads??

He's attending the Zuckerburg School of Advanced Apology.

"We really messed up this time guys. I'm sorry but I promise we will do better in the future!"

And just go back to doing the same stuff you did before while rehearsing the above line for next time you get caught with yore pants down.

4Waters

Reaction score
View attachment 934130
I think at this point you add this hat to your store, would probably be your biggest seller, send some profit to Grads for going away, everyone is happy. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@GRADS would probably buy one but that's @Gelcoater catch phrase for Grads so he would have to get a portion of the proceeds. LOL

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
1) Free speech does not come without social consequences. In other words, you can walk up to someone and insult them (free speech), but you'll have to deal with the repercussions.
2) I don't think these private sites necessarily need to offer "free speech" unregulated.

I'm not really surprised about the response here, because I don't know anyone that can be abrasive (online or real life) without being socially ostracized. Most people don't want to be around negativity. So he can say what he wants (and he does), but there are consequences, as with all of us.

Who was that guy who used to get the tribal drums out to vote off members, not because of what they said, but how they said it? You used to keep the community on track (even Hot Boat) that when someone didn't fit in because of their posting style, they were better gone because no one wants to come here to see a guy be inappropriate and/or abrasive to a large portion of the membership. It's a numbers game- you already have a bunch of guys who identified this guy is so bad, they have to actually blocked him. Isn't that your red flag that maybe you are seeing things differently than guys like Lunatic Fringe who nobody is blocking?

I remember even back in the HTM tragedy days (and river accidents since then), you would berate anyone who was inappropriate when family members were coming on the forums looking for information.

Somehow...things have changed.
I wasn’t arguing a legal point. We could all do a better job of having thicker skin. The cancel culture is worse than the asshole comments cultural. Just my opinion but I do get the social shame thing.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Well judging by the tone of the thread here you are making it as though you have a choice.. It's pretty clear that yet once again the members are voting ya off the island.

RD

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Since we are full blown on "RDP" as the subject now.. My biggest "want" or if I could change anything to the site.. It wouldn't be Grads.

It would be to get more members posting up more pics of their weekends on here. Honestly from a tech point of view it really isn't all that different from FB, but I have watched some of the membership migrate to posting pics more on their personal FB's and even other group pages, and move away from here. Of course that's on a personal level, some members like KnotonDuty etc.. General overall growth of the site is up consistently so I'm not concerned from a biz perspective.

We are running the best software to make that as easy as possible, and have even added video to the mix (granted it does buffer on initial playback unless you have lightning speed.. I'm working on that).

The second thing I'd want to change is someone posting something up, and someone immediately saying something negative. It makes me want to punch myself in the nuts when some asshole does that.

RD

This is exactly why you need to bite the bullet and tighten up the program a little.
You have a guy who, by your own words, has been banned more times than anyone in history, repeatedly assures you he'll change but doesn't.

And if you look back at one of my posts I called his actions to a tee. He's now seeing the tide from his "grenade" turning against him and he's doing the "What?" "who me?" act. He pretends he just now became aware of this and tosses out a weak apology but only after calling the thread comments Lame.
That is simply deflecting blame. He wants to blame us instead of recognizing it's him.
I truly believe he relishes the discord he creates.

He's trying to minimize his part (Yes you did call me a liar) by saying the others said the same stuff.
None of them called me out like he did and they also do not have the 2 DECADES of poor behavior and bannings behind them.
That's where the tone is set. Whenever anyone reads something "He Who is a Tool" posts they automatically anticipate negative reactions from one, some or all. Is that the tone you want in your forum?

As for the suggestions of just put him on ignore. That works for the individual but not the forum as a whole.
Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist and to the detriment of the site.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
We could all do a better job of having thicker skin. The cancel culture is worse than the asshole comments cultural. Just my opinion but I do get the social shame thing.

I think we all have thick skin (hell, we own boats), but it's more about allowing negativity to fester, in an environment that should be a positive experience. Like Dave said earlier, how many guys are gonna share here if they think they are going to get roasted? There are many other platforms to share your boating lifestyle, and every one of them have disclaimers "DO NOT BE AN ASSHOLE OR YOU WILL GET BOOTED" (or something like that).

"The asshole comments culture" tends to be the keyboard bullies. I think this is waaaay more cowardly than an admin trying to keep a site positive. However, you'll notice I've never said GRADS should be booted, I've tried to tell him to "fit in better", but it's obvious that he is not self-aware enough for that ever to happen.

Dave and I always thought of this place like "the sandbar" (ironically the old Hot Boat forum name). Picture we are all standing around BS'ing about the lifestyle. If some guy walks up and pisses everyone off, no one wants him in the group anymore, we move to another part of the sandbar where he isn't.

We didn't cancel him out- he did it to himself. As a famous philosopher* once said, "give em enough rope, and they'll hang themselves"

*me

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
This is exactly why you need to bite the bullet and tighten up the program a little.
You have a guy who, by your own words, has been banned more times than anyone in history, repeatedly assures you he'll change but doesn't.

And if you look back at one of my posts I called his actions to a tee. He's now seeing the tide from his "grenade" turning against him and he's doing the "What?" "who me?" act. He pretends he just now became aware of this and tosses out a weak apology but only after calling the thread comments Lame.
That is simply deflecting blame. He wants to blame us instead of recognizing it's him.
I truly believe he relishes the discord he creates.

He's trying to minimize his part (Yes you did call me a liar) by saying the others said the same stuff.
None of them called me out like he did and they also do not have the 2 DECADES of poor behavior and bannings behind them.
That's where the tone is set. Whenever anyone reads something "He Who is a Tool" posts they automatically anticipate negative reactions from one, some or all. Is that the tone you want in your forum?

As for the suggestions of just put him on ignore. That works for the individual but not the forum as a whole.
Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist and to the detriment of the site.

Well said!

F Grads. Time for him to go.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Lol. Sorry, was trimming the yard at LFs place. He made me sing slave songs while doing the work. ;) For good this time?

Swing Low.... Sweet Chariot... Coming forth to carry me home!

RD

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Imo this whole thread is a turn off. I’m ready to leave over the guys who can’t stop crying already 😂😂

Who is crying? It was just old and worn out regardless. Trying to figure out the laughing emojis.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I wasn’t arguing a legal point. We could all do a better job of having thicker skin. The cancel culture is worse than the asshole comments cultural. Just my opinion but I do get the social shame thing.

This is no where close to it being cancel culture lol.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Swing Low.... Sweet Chariot... Coming forth to carry me home!

RD

Yep...that was one of em. He made a music CD, turned it on, locked access to it and blared it while I whistled and sang. Oh....and he had some fucker called Bandito with weapons keeping an eye on me.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Who is crying? It was just old and worn out regardless. Trying to figure out the laughing emojis.
Is that a serious question? I don’t have the time or care to explain it but I agree with Dave in we literally canned a guy because he pissed off other guys. Cancel culture is my generations thing but I don’t get it. I’m not calling anyone a liar but I absolutely thing it was strange and perhaps alcohol was involved. By the contents of the cooler comment. I just chose not to say anything because it really doesn’t matter to me I’m just happy everyone walked away

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Is that a serious question? I don’t have the time or care to explain it but I agree with Dave in we literally canned a guy because he pissed off other guys. Cancel culture is my generations thing but I don’t get it

Ya....I was serious Vic. I ignored him personally but when he starts calling out good friends as liars without any knowledge.....enough is enough.

You and I both know that people behind the keyboard talk a lot of shit they would never do in person.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Ya....I was serious Vic. I ignored him personally but when he starts calling out good friends as liars without any knowledge.....enough is enough.

You and I both know that people behind the keyboard talk a lot of shit they would never do in person.
I agree 100 percent on that. I just read it different I guess. Like I said I’m not calling anyone a liar but I have my thoughts on the situation but honestly my opinion just doesn’t matter.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Is that a serious question? I don’t have the time or care to explain it but I agree with Dave in we literally canned a guy because he pissed off other guys. Cancel culture is my generations thing but I don’t get it. I’m not calling anyone a liar but I absolutely thing it was strange and perhaps alcohol was involved. By the contents of the cooler comment. I just chose not to say anything because it really doesn’t matter to me I’m just happy everyone walked away

Fair enough. Grads has a history and history and history...same old shit.

If it wasnt a good friend (LF) i might feel different but......

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I agree 100 percent on that. I just read it different I guess. Like I said I’m not calling anyone a liar but I have my thoughts on the situation but honestly my opinion just doesn’t matter.

I understand. LFs word is solid and the police, hospital and all were good with everything and how it was handled. Simple as that really.

Shock does funny things to people. Then just seeing a friend in trouble and springing into action to get help ASAP is the kind of people you want around you.

We are on the same page

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
To my point though I wasn’t really talking about anyone in particular but the thread literally went out for pages before grads ever even commented on it. Then even after he got banned it’s still going. I was basically joking about that. The thread took off about grads without grads actually even being in it. And it still going while he’s gone that’s why I was laughing

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
To my point though I wasn’t really talking about anyone in particular but the thread literally went out for pages before grads ever even commented on it. Then even after he got banned it’s still going. I was basically joking about that. The thread took off about grads without grads actually even being in it. And it still going while he’s gone that’s why I was laughing

Well he will be back in a week doing the same thing :) so it does not matter anyway.

Grads has a shorter leash from everyone he annoys because he’s done the same thing hundreds of times.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Well he will be back in a week doing the same thing :) so it does not matter anyway.

Grads has a shorter leash from everyone he annoys because he’s done the same thing hundreds of times.
I’m not sure I really feel like this one might be for good. Believe it or not I think grads actually deleted me from Facebook and Instagram 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m not sure I really feel like this one might be for good. Believe it or not I think grads actually deleted me from Facebook and Instagram 🤷‍♂️

Nope.. he will be back. As you noted, he just insulted one person and later apologized for it aloofly. That is a step forward for him.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score

That's not entirely accurate. He deleted some posts. That is why I added on to my initial angry post where I called him a name. That's not my style but he earned that.
I added on to my post saying the following may seem like an extreme reaction but anyone reading for the first go-around did not have the context of his comment to weigh my reaction against.

My tirade was only brought about due to the fact he went personal against me. That pisses me off.
If it was you or pretty much ANYONE else on the board I would have simply replied with an "F you and went about my day.
He has such an outlandish history of that type of behavior I decided maybe as a group we should have a discussion about where we feel things stand in here.
Thus my question; When is enough enough?
Well, now we know.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That's not entirely accurate. He deleted some posts. That is why I added on to my initial angry post where I called him a name. That's not my style but he earned that.
I added on to my post saying the following may seem like an extreme reaction but anyone reading for the first go-around did not have the context of his comment to weigh my reaction against.

My tirade was only brought about due to the fact he went personal against me. That pisses me off.
If it was you or pretty much ANYONE else on the board I would have simply replied with an "F you and went about my day.
He has such an outlandish history of that type of behavior I decided maybe as a group we should have a discussion about where we feel things stand in here.
Thus my question; When is enough enough?
Well, now we know.
Seems like more than a few people agree with you. I haven’t been around as long as a lot but I do know his tendencies. He really has pissed off a number of people, this thread proves it. And I agree with you he’s probably laughing about it.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Im just curious because of Dave's stats but when people leave do the membership numbers drop or does that membership stay indefinitely ?

playdeep

Reaction score
Guy's an idiot.
He's crossed the line (shots at wifes/girlfriends etc.) on several occasions.
He should start his own website to placate his ego&all those that think he's cool.
Problem solved.

...Unfortunately,he will be back.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Wow you sound like you accomplished something no and tell everyone I got grads banned the main man behind the keyboard

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Ok maybe he should grads pm me not much of project to start a web site on boating and off-roading

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Since we are full blown on "RDP" as the subject now.. My biggest "want" or if I could change anything to the site.. It wouldn't be Grads.

It would be to get more members posting up more pics of their weekends on here. Honestly from a tech point of view it really isn't all that different from FB, but I have watched some of the membership migrate to posting pics more on their personal FB's and even other group pages, and move away from here. Of course that's on a personal level, some members like KnotonDuty etc.. General overall growth of the site is up consistently so I'm not concerned from a biz perspective.

We are running the best software to make that as easy as possible, and have even added video to the mix (granted it does buffer on initial playback unless you have lightning speed.. I'm working on that).

The second thing I'd want to change is someone posting something up, and someone immediately saying something negative. It makes me want to punch myself in the nuts when some asshole does that.

RD

I agree. The threads with pictures are always the best.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I actually go to the river quite often @Bobby V . Every other weekend or so. I’ll be out in big River this weekend if you wanna grab a beer 😘

Because this isn’t Cancel culture. This narcissistic shit stains reputation isn’t being tarnished from shit he did in the past. No one out there is creating their own narrative and twisting shit he’s said in the past to turn them against him. This shit stain has his foot in his mouth more often than not for the sake of freshman level trolling and people are just over it. Trust me, theres nothing I hate more than social justice bullshit but this isn’t it.

What’s cancel culture? A good example is Chris Pratt. Dude didn’t do shit to anyone and was loved by nerds everywhere for being in marvel movies ......until real cancel culture went after him. For what? For wearing a don’t tread on me tee. That’s it. People flipped, changed the narrative and deemed said shirt to be.......white supremacist. Boom. Canceled.

A wholesome dude that didn’t have a bad rap got canceled over a shirt and has been on the chopping block ever since.

That’s cancel culture.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
Ok part 3..

People tend to have a memory that is "better than it was."

People often refer back to Hotboat like it was a good place.. That place was out of fucking control negative, and one of the large reasons I sought off to start different forums back in the day. If you so much as even said "The sky is blue" someone would come back and say "It's light blue moron" and things would go down hill from there.. Original popular posters on that site quit posting, because it got so bad... and I'm still talking about the early days here, not later on in life.

HBJET / Randy ended up quitting posting on there because he'd go to the sandbar and someone would say "Hey HBJET" and he was concerned if it was a "Friend or Foe". LVJetboy used to put up some pretty bad ass projects he was working on and he quit because of the negativity, and I could list many others.

I remember being on there and arguing non stop on that flipping thing, and coming away feeling about like I feel nowadays when I go on FB.. It was literally just a non stop fight.. Granted there was some good times had there as well, but I have no illusions about how dark that place actually was...

As for the tribal drums.. :D. Yes I did that, because there was no moderators on that site period in the beginning and there was some assholes on there that were living the dream of anonymity. At least with Grads aka Greg he isn't pretending to be someone else, and it isn't like people don't know who he is..

You will also remember myself and Wes and a few others actually became moderators on that site.. What a fucking shit show that turned out to be. Eventually all of us just said "Fuck it". You can't put that genie back in the bottle type stuff..

To the point of the arguments, yes we are at the point where Grads is gonna go away. I personally am a little saddened by it, because I feel like people "should" be able to be adults and just scroll by something if they don't like it, or just tell the guy to F off if they don't want to talk to him etc.. but I digress it doesn't sound like it's possible, and @Lunatic Fringe and yourself are right..

When it comes to the point where entire groups of people are calling for someones removal, than obviously the problem is with the person.. I may not totally get the Hatred for this guy, but yes it will be addressed.

But lets not have false memories of the past, and say it was all hunky dory on the ole HB, because that place was fucking ruthless.. I'd say this is a far more civil communitiy than that place ever was. Probably not as tight knit as HB, but this website is literally 10 times the size of HB as well when it comes to the numbers.

RD

I stopped posting on HB in 06 because of what a shit show it was, and some of the shit got personal. It took me a long time to sign up here because HB had burned me out on boating sites. This place is definitely not like HB IMO...

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Imo this whole thread is a turn off. I’m ready to leave over the guys who can’t stop crying already 😂😂
Bear with me it's compliment actually.
My memory is kind of fading so go with it please.
Weren't you always the one that was the " I'll kick your ass" kind of person in your comments.
Always the tough guy on the keyboard?
You've come a long way in how you handle yourself on here and from what it seems in your personal life as well.
You've made huge strides (job wise from what i remember reading) quit some things that were bad for you, focused on a better way for you and your family.
You've moved forward all the way around. Kudos to you.

The person were talking about doesn't seem to have the ability to do that IMHO. he is here to instigate and just always push people buttons.
I've gotten passed it for the most part but there are still times i have to make a comment when pulls his shit.
I know there is an ignore button but i have so far chosen not to use it.
I also don't feel it's people crying about it, more just tired of it.

Anywhoo, a few drinks in and this it what comes out. speaking of which my wine glass is empty. lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Im just curious because of Dave's stats but when people leave do the membership numbers drop or does that membership stay indefinitely ?

No one ever “deletes” an account. If someone does that would be a very rare occurrence. People just sign off and don’t sign back in. From a high level Dave is looking at And repacking unique IPs, repetitive visits, what people click on, how long they look at things, stuff like that.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Why? Seriously. We are talking about banning Grads. Canceling his bullshit.

We are not Doxxing him and his family. No one has threatened him with more than a throat punch, we are not threatening his and his wife’s lively hood. We aren’t defacing their property.

And finally we are not threatening to boycott the site if he comes back. A few people have done that though :).

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
I think we all have thick skin (hell, we own boats), but it's more about allowing negativity to fester, in an environment that should be a positive experience. Like Dave said earlier, how many guys are gonna share here if they think they are going to get roasted? There are many other platforms to share your boating lifestyle, and every one of them have disclaimers "DO NOT BE AN ASSHOLE OR YOU WILL GET BOOTED" (or something like that).

"The asshole comments culture" tends to be the keyboard bullies. I think this is waaaay more cowardly than an admin trying to keep a site positive. However, you'll notice I've never said GRADS should be booted, I've tried to tell him to "fit in better", but it's obvious that he is not self-aware enough for that ever to happen.

Dave and I always thought of this place like "the sandbar" (ironically the old Hot Boat forum name). Picture we are all standing around BS'ing about the lifestyle. If some guy walks up and pisses everyone off, no one wants him in the group anymore, we move to another part of the sandbar where he isn't.

We didn't cancel him out- he did it to himself. As a famous philosopher* once said, "give em enough rope, and they'll hang themselves"

*me
Ah man...it bugs me to read your response. Environment? Bully? What would our grandfathers think? He is a libtard. I want him to spew...all of it! Let it rip. Some will be interesting... some ridiculous. Speak up Grads

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
We are not Doxxing him and his family. No one has threatened him with more than a throat punch, we are not threatening his and his wife’s lively hood. We aren’t defacing their property.

And finally we are not threatening to boycott the site if he comes back. A few people have done that though :).
I am not understanding your point?? Do you want to silence him from the site?

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score

You are talking about being a left wing mental patient. Deranged. Useless to society. A dead weight loss. An enemy to our country. Thanks for the clarification. You can easily be better...all you need to do is wake up in the morning...lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

*me

With a for profit forum the “culture” of the forum always changes because the forum needs to grow.

You can maintain a culture like that easily if you don’t want to sell advertising. You just moderate aggressively and ban people with an iron fist. It stays like that group of guys talking at the sandbar.... indefinitely.

I’m on a couple car forums like that. One will toss you for posting pictures with watermarks on them because it is close to advertising. Grads would have been banned for life after the first outburst in 2001. The culture has been the same there for 17 years. There isn’t much growth and management cares not about making any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.