WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Drivers License Idea: Flame Away!

I think Voluntary Boat Drivers Licenses

• Total voters

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I've been marinating on this question for over ten years. Some of the recent threads on here have me thinking about this topic again. Please join me in a hypothetical, collaborative discussion about boat driver's licenses.

Would you participate in a campaign to develop a voluntary boat driver's license? RDP seems uniquely positioned to create such an initiative with so many subject matter experts in this community.

Before you all get crazy about boating regulations, please hear me out.

I work in product development and have learned that field trials and beta tests provide great opportunities to pivot, modify and develop on the fly. You can always scale later, so think small with me for a moment, building something that can be created regionally and perhaps adopted broader if successful.

NGO idea, not a state or federal idea. For now, limited to the Colorado River system and perhaps tighten the net to just LHC and/or Parker. Totally Voluntary & Reward Based.

What if?
What if there was an online portal where boaters watched a collection of videos that shared best practices, safety guidelines, maintenance, and other related topics? When completed, the viewer received a certificate or license, which provided discounts at participating sponsors' businesses. Perhaps even insurance discounts? Things like a free bag of ice, or discount on a detail job, a free T-shirt, or VIP treatment at a local Bar. Early access to a storage unit? :) Room or camping discounts, reduced Rack Storage Rent? :)

Maybe a small sticker that tells LEO you are a good guy?

Would you participate in that? What kind of incentives would you need to be motivated to participate? Would you promote an initiative like this? Do you think it would improve the boating experience someplace like the Colorado river if people adopted the idea?

The content and delivery seem easy to me; so many tools are available, and if you could pull together a half dozen people on this board, you could make some cool videos. What has always scared me away from this idea is
1.) Liability
2.) Funding
3.) Participation
4.) Sustainability

It seems you would need a not-for-profit to pull this off, and it also seems like a lot of work with little financial return for a single person to sustain as a job. It looks like the program could obtain grant money to offset some of the costs, and if marketed correctly, it may be able to provide value that could attract sponsors. So I pose this idea to the great and powerful RDP community for further thought.

Does this already exist, and I missed it somewhere? Do you springboard off an already established association? Stupid idea? Maybe someone here will see this idea and have the same thoughts and passion for the subject and say yes, that's my life goal. What say you?

renodaytona

Reaction score
We just had this conversation during our Almanor trip. One of the guys and his brother have to have them (NV for boaters born 1983 and later). We all agree that a boaters license would make all of those out there more educated including us that the license isn't required. I'm looking into it for my self, my wife and daughter.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
When it's required for PWC and boat rentals, I would get mine, until then, I'll wait.
I took the online boaters course, about 2001, and know most of the right of ways... but I never insist on the right of way, as I'm the slow bötè.
I would probably learn something new, as maritime law is fascinating to me.
I have boated from Needles to Bullhead.
In the dark.

Dan'l

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Rentals.Yes.Sitdowns, just get rid of them,all of them.😂

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Every driver of a motor vehicle has passed a test and has a Driver’s License. Does that make every driver safe and responsible?
the fukwads driving on the highways today(the clapped out hondas w/ 7 people in them. especially in SOCAL have neither a license,it has been revoked,or never earned, nor insurance.They are not safe or responsible.

jesco

Reaction score
I just completed my CA Lic... what a stupid test. Time based so you cant skip through it fast, stupid questions and most on boating the big blue. I boat the lower river which is mainly patrolled by CA LEOs, and YES, they ask for it and ticket you if you don't have it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
the fukwads driving on the highways today(the clapped out hondas w/ 7 people in them. especially in SOCAL have neither a license,it has been revoked,or never earned, nor insurance.They are not safe or responsible.
Put this in the I Love Southern California thread

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
When it's required for PWC and boat rentals, I would get mine, until then, I'll wait.
I took the online boaters course, about 2001, and know most of the right of ways... but I never insist on the right of way, as I'm the slow bötè.
I would probably learn something new, as maritime law is fascinating to me.
I have boated from Needles to Bullhead.
In the dark.

Dan'l

If on the Colorado just show them an AZ ID, nod a CA DL.

4Waters

Reaction score
Maybe these guys should start making safe boating commercials

98b72c6703bd8c22b6b6aa608a1cfed9.jpg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I've been marinating on this question for over ten years. Some of the recent threads on here have me thinking about this topic again. Please join me in a hypothetical, collaborative discussion about boat driver's licenses.

Would you participate in a campaign to develop a voluntary boat driver's license? RDP seems uniquely positioned to create such an initiative with so many subject matter experts in this community.

Before you all get crazy about boating regulations, please hear me out.

I work in product development and have learned that field trials and beta tests provide great opportunities to pivot, modify and develop on the fly. You can always scale later, so think small with me for a moment, building something that can be created regionally and perhaps adopted broader if successful.

NGO idea, not a state or federal idea. For now, limited to the Colorado River system and perhaps tighten the net to just LHC and/or Parker. Totally Voluntary & Reward Based.

What if?
What if there was an online portal where boaters watched a collection of videos that shared best practices, safety guidelines, maintenance, and other related topics? When completed, the viewer received a certificate or license, which provided discounts at participating sponsors' businesses. Perhaps even insurance discounts? Things like a free bag of ice, or discount on a detail job, a free T-shirt, or VIP treatment at a local Bar. Early access to a storage unit? :) Room or camping discounts, reduced Rack Storage Rent? :)

Maybe a small sticker that tells LEO you are a good guy?

Would you participate in that? What kind of incentives would you need to be motivated to participate? Would you promote an initiative like this? Do you think it would improve the boating experience someplace like the Colorado river if people adopted the idea?

The content and delivery seem easy to me; so many tools are available, and if you could pull together a half dozen people on this board, you could make some cool videos. What has always scared me away from this idea is
1.) Liability
2.) Funding
3.) Participation
4.) Sustainability

It seems you would need a not-for-profit to pull this off, and it also seems like a lot of work with little financial return for a single person to sustain as a job. It looks like the program could obtain grant money to offset some of the costs, and if marketed correctly, it may be able to provide value that could attract sponsors. So I pose this idea to the great and powerful RDP community for further thought.

Does this already exist, and I missed it somewhere? Do you springboard off an already established association? Stupid idea? Maybe someone here will see this idea and have the same thoughts and passion for the subject and say yes, that's my life goal. What say you?

In Oregon it is called a Boater Safty Card and required to operate any motorized boat or PWC.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Every driver of a motor vehicle has passed a test and has a Driver’s License. Does that make every driver safe and responsible?

THIS. How many on here bitch about truckers and they all supposedly had to go to school to get their license. Same with dumbasses that drive cars and motorcycles.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
This, directly cut and pasted off an Oregon jet ski rental site:

"Drivers License or Photo identification with address are required upon rental. MUST BE 18 or OVER to rent. We offer trailer-a-way for Multi-day Rentals. Boaters Education card are NOT required."

But yet a boat owner/driver is required to have a boaters education card.

Makes no sense.

Dan'l

River Runnin

Reaction score
A Boater Safety Card is required to operate any motorized boat or PWC.
This I agree with! ... Got mine about 20 years ago! ... I also think -- besides the card-- you need a valid Drivers license to rent or operate a PWC.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
If I can't operate my boat, I will give my keys to the old guy, drinking beer, who has 30 years of boating experience with no card/license, all day over any beginner who has taken a boater's safety class and has ace'd the test. I have my card and get the 10% insurance discount. There is a certain amount of agility boating requires. Because somebody takes a class doesn't mean they will be able to back a trailer down a ramp, or operate a boat, safely. Let alone, get that boat back up on the trailer with some current and wind. Some people should just not own boats, period. Wakeboard boats, especially. Enforce the current laws. Break the law...mandatory class. Law abiding, Good boater, no class required. A Driver's license still doesn't always make a driver, a safer driver. Oh yeah fuck wakeboard boats.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Could somebody post a pic of a Boater Safety Card?