WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Fire

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
So I ended up getting COVID from my Dad at my sisters wedding two weekends ago and have been quarantined on the boat for the last two weeks. The wife didn’t get it and has tested negative twice since so I elected to stay here. Today was my last day in quarantine and there was some serious entertainment to say the least...

Around lunch time I was down below working on my monthly cost reports when I heard someone yell fire from the parking lot. Came up and two docks down there was a Bertram 31 that has some small visible flames on the back deck. I watched the whole scenario
IMG_0700.jpg

and literally within 5 minutes the whole thing was an inferno and the Sea Ray next to it was up in smoke too. Several fire boats and three engines later it was all out.

This was a seriously eye opening thing to watch. I can’t believe how quickly it went. Needless to say I’ve checked all my extinguishers and fire suppression system today...and I’m really glad I don’t have a gas boat...

There was a mechanic working on the boat replacing fuel tanks when this happened and supposedly something sparked. Hope the insurance was paid up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Ouch.....what marina is that? Glad you weren't involved in that.

Backlash

Reaction score
Damn that sucks! I've always loved the Bertram 31's! 😥

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...During the entire eight years that I lived aboard never saw one boat fire ...but certainly did see a lot of old gasoline tanks give up the LAFD would come and fill the boat full of foam...

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
So I ended up getting COVID from my Dad at my sisters wedding two weekends ago and have been quarantined on the boat for the last two weeks. The wife didn’t get it and has tested negative twice since so I elected to stay here. Today was my last day in quarantine and there was some serious entertainment to say the least...

Around lunch time I was down below working on my monthly cost reports when I heard someone yell fire from the parking lot. Came up and two docks down there was a Bertram 31 that has some small visible flames on the back deck. I watched the whole scenario View attachment 965196
and literally within 5 minutes the whole thing was an inferno and the Sea Ray next to it was up in smoke too. Several fire boats and three engines later it was all out.

This was a seriously eye opening thing to watch. I can’t believe how quickly it went. Needless to say I’ve checked all my extinguishers and fire suppression system today...and I’m really glad I don’t have a gas boat...

There was a mechanic working on the boat replacing fuel tanks when this happened and supposedly something sparked. Hope the insurance was paid up.

Agreed. Diesel... SOOOOOOOOOOO much safer.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Looks like this was the docks near The Galley and Basin Marine. Very normal docking arrangement. Often, when they're able, first responders will immediately chop off the tie up lines and pull the vessel on fire away from the other vessels. Very glad it was not worse and no injuries.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Looks like this was the docks near The Galley and Basin Marine. Very normal docking arrangement. Often, when they're able, first responders will immediately chop off the tie up lines and pull the vessel on fire away from the other vessels. Very glad it was not worse and no injuries.

I watched the whole thing and they thought about it and tried when they arrived but it was too far gone at that point. They doused the three or four boats close and then foamed them to be safe. The only thing that really would have made a difference is if someone who was there immediately used the fire hose on the dock. I had honestly never thought about that but found out where the one on my dock is earlier to be safe...

pavski2

Reaction score
Once the vessel is well involved we will cut the exposure vessels (boats around the one on fire) loose and push them away. Better to have some banged up boats from being set free than multiple boats on fire. It's amazing how fast a boat will burn to the waterline.

Taboma

Reaction score
I watched the whole thing and they thought about it and tried when they arrived but it was too far gone at that point. They doused the three or four boats close and then foamed them to be safe. The only thing that really would have made a difference is if someone who was there immediately used the fire hose on the dock. I had honestly never thought about that but found out where the one on my dock is earlier to be safe...

Any chatter about how it started ? If I recall those old Moppie Berts had fiberglass tanks, depending on the year up to 220 gallons, unless they'd added saddle tanks.
No doubt accumulated fumes, but something had to spark it, power tool perhaps ??

Had a uber-hard core fishing bud with one. Diesel boat, the silly shit almost always carried two 55 gal drums lashed to the stern and would run way out or down, throttles almost pinned each direction.
We'd be trolling back in late in the day, see huge white water sprays off in the distance and sure as shit, put some eyes on it and there was the "Chula" Bertram, in it's normal "Damn the submarines, full speed ahead" mode, taking green water clean over the flybridge !!!!! 😂 But the crazy fuck rarely if ever came home empty for his efforts.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Around lunch time I was down below working on my monthly cost reports when I heard someone yell fire from the parking lot. Came up and two docks down there was a Bertram 31 that has some small visible flames on the back deck. I watched the whole scenario View attachment 965196

Sucks about the boat. But how are you and your dad doing?

Reactions: DWC

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Once watched a little Newport Harbor Patrol boat single handedly deal with a very bad boat fire at the docks in front of the old Cano's/Stuffed Shirt. 2 patrolmen arrived on one boat. Immediately cut the dock lines of the fully engulfed vessel, quickly pulled him out in to the channel, away from all the other boats. With their small mounted fire monitor they extinguished the flames in short order. Then began the overhaul. Many minutes later here comes the 80'(?) CG Cutter, full bore down the channel. His large wake did millions of dollars of damage to many boats and docks. Totally unnecessary. I was listening on 16, the Patrol Boat was giving proper status up dates. Major props to the NP HP guys. For the CG that evening?? Not so much.

Reactions: DWC

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Once watched a little Newport Harbor Patrol boat single handedly deal with a very bad boat fire at the docks in front of the old Cano's/Stuffed Shirt. 2 patrolmen arrived on one boat. Immediately cut the dock lines of the fully engulfed vessel, quickly pulled him out in to the channel, away from all the other boats. With their small mounted fire monitor they extinguished the flames in short order. Then began the overhaul. Many minutes later here comes the 80'(?) CG Cutter, full bore down the channel. His large wake did millions of dollars of damage to many boats and docks. Totally unnecessary. I was listening on 16, the Patrol Boat was giving proper status up dates. Major props to the NP HP guys. For the CG that evening?? Not so much.
That CG Cutter is a beast.... last winter I watched them take her out just past the Wedge and run big water maneuvers during a storm... they were really moving and the bow was throwing massive spray as they blasted through huge swells. Whenever I drive by it at Patrol dock it doesn't look all that beefy but man it was something to see.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Sucks about the boat. But how are you and your dad doing?

Luckily we are both fine. He had cold like symptoms for about a week. I had body aches for a few days and some mild cold symptoms. The biggest thing for me was a lack of energy. I feel 100% now except for no taste or smell. First day back onsite for me today [emoji106]