WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat for open stacker trailer

baja-chris

Reaction score
Maybe a crazy idea but thinking of an open stacker trailer to pull behind a large motorhome with a 4x4 truck on the bottom and a low profile boat above.
We plan to spend many months a year on the road and I know what's going to happen, I'm going to want to go boating! And not in a rental.
Thinking the boat sits on bunks (not on a separate trailer) and goes up/down with hydraulics.
So when we get to our destination we unload truck, lower boat, unhitch from MH, hitch to 4x4 and take boat to launch.
Have seen pictures of a few of these on the web, anyone here have experience with such a contraption?
Looking at 45ft MH with 20k tow rating so the issue is more of size, not weight. A smaller SUV should be able to tow the short distances to the ramp.
Would need some sort of small 17-18ft low profile boat. Maybe an older I/O or jet or something new like a Startcraft SVX171 17ft deck boat, w/115 OB.
That's probably going to be at least 25ft, or 70ft total. Crazy?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Like this?

9B03F4D1-E869-4D7D-A725-C38F71A770DF.jpeg

baja-chris

Reaction score
What is the lowest profile boat in the 17-18 ft range? From top of deck/seats to bottom of prop or skeg? I/O, OB, or Jet?
Need to keep the whole stack under 13'6" on the highway (same as MH).

hallett21

Reaction score
18 or 19 spectra jet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Reaction score
Tom Abraham out of NY brought out an enclosed stacker with a 20' Cigarette on the top and a Mercedes on the bottom. IF you were gonna put a 4x4 in it, you wouldn't need to dunk the stacker, you'd put it in with the 4x4. Boat sat on it's own trailer. You can see the boat and the stacker in this photo. I can't find the pick of it inside.

IMG_1172.JPG

There are some cool exposed set ups too. Seems you could put up to a 22' boat on it. I'd think a nice Schiada would work really well! 😁 ;)

phpkavrwd_97cc6cf6170df403c74bd0fa8f74f0777c718119.jpeg

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Have it built to your needs/specs. Definitely would need to be galvanized. Call Don, he’s reasonable and his stuff last. I’ve known him and his brother for 30 years. This is my fourth trailer from them. Built like a brick Shithouse.

6E9059E1-E28F-4E6B-8A5E-3C50F392EF5C.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've seen a couple snowbird types do it. They would hang the boat trailer like in @Tank showed. Winch on, roll off and launch with the truck. My guess for boat profile would be jet, as nothing is bellow the hull, so the trailer can be lower as well.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've seen a couple snowbird types do it. They would hang the boat trailer like in @Tank showed. Winch on, roll off and launch with the truck. My guess for boat profile would be jet, as nothing is bellow the hull, so the trailer can be lower as well.
Yeah, a buddle deck jet is probably the lowest you can go. Do like a car hauler trailer with the lift ramps but have a small center ramp for the bow jack that you can winch a standard boat trailer up there and launch with the SUV.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

wzuber

Reaction score
My neighbor in big river just built hIs own stacker for his raptor truck and can am pulled behind his 40' pusher. Seemed to work out well. I see no reason it couldn't be done for your application. Upper deck raised/lowered on hyd. Rams.

Taboma

Reaction score
Cool thread, something I've been thinking about for sure. Googling the open stackers for boats and cars, I like this setup. Years ago I had a RIB inflatable as a tender to our sports fisher. Often rather than take the big boat out, I'd head out to La Jolla for yellowtail or offshore out trolling 15 miles out off the beach. We took it to Havasu and had a lot of fun with it exploring. It's light, seaworthy, move pretty good with decent power and easy to care for and haul around. I like this setup !!!

Rib and jeep Stacker.jpg

baja-chris

Reaction score
Lots of cool ideas. I was just looking at used Donzi Sweet 16's on boat trader. Could be a fun toy with a built small block and trim tabs.
I had a 20 ft Schiada with a 300 merc OB but I think that is a little big and heavy for this. Example: https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1972-donzi-sweet-16-7251871/

As far as what to put under it, I could use my Raptor but I'm also ordering one of those new 4-dr broncos which is a smaller lighter truck.
Regardless the trailer will need to be custom made but need to decide what to put on it first. A classic old school boat would sure be cool to have during our travels.

My wife and I have pretty much decided on a lightly used Newmar London Aire (2018 or 19) and those are rated to tow 20k with 2k hitch weight.
Only issue is it will end up over the 65ft limit in most states but I read that it's usually not something that gets enforced.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Tom Abraham out of NY brought out an enclosed stacker with a 20' Cigarette on the top and a Mercedes on the bottom. IF you were gonna put a 4x4 in it, you wouldn't need to dunk the stacker, you'd put it in with the 4x4. Boat sat on it's own trailer. You can see the boat and the stacker in this photo. I can't find the pick of it inside.

View attachment 933701

There are some cool exposed set ups too. Seems you could put up to a 22' boat on it. I'd think a nice Schiada would work really well! 😁 ;)

View attachment 933702
How do you load the boat and trailer into the enclosed stacker? Presume a winch but what keeps the nose on track? Is there a nose wheel on the trailer that rides in a track? And how to you unload it? Does the rack tilt so it just rolls out with gravity as you unwind the winch? Or does he back the boat trailer into the stacker trailer?
That would be sketch I'd think.

1tonfun

Reaction score
The thing I have noticed about pulling behind my motor home is the motor home sucks up all the dust and dirt on the road and deposits all over what is being towed whether it is flat towing the jeep or the sxs on the flatbed. Got to where I carry an electric blower to give it a quick cleaning before firing it up. I am amazed at how much road dust ends up on the jeep motor from towing it.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Oh dear God forgive me. But if you are looking for a reasonable answer, look into jets in that range or a flat bottom V-drive. Trailer should have minimal or no swivel to drop the boat into the water, etc, as to not have to much effect to trailer tounge weight.
It's going to be a an engineering adventure. Please keep us posted! 👍

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I think this the same Boat030 that use to be on here. Got this from a different site.

We do this with the race boat, the boat is on a "dolly trailer" where the wheels and fenders are tucked up underneath the boat.

4B347FB3-02B0-4FE0-8596-511D7D975007.jpeg

Why would you need to back up the trailer anywhere near the water? Unload the truck and the boat anywhere, hook them up and launch it with the truck.

Getting it high as the motorhome, it’s gonna be a big challenge. Not saying it can’t be done but it could be done at a costly expense

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
It’s interesting to see how others are dealing with this problem of bringing toys with the RV.

For me, my plan is to tow a 2021 Ford Bronco Sasquatch Edition with the boat below carried on the roof rack of the Bronco. I am still mulling over between a Class A and a Class C diesel to pull it all with. Also, instead of a golf cart, I was going to get a pair of Phat Scooters for cruising the campgrounds and socializing.

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
Lots of cool ideas. I was just looking at used Donzi Sweet 16's on boat trader. Could be a fun toy with a built small block and trim tabs.
I had a 20 ft Schiada with a 300 merc OB but I think that is a little big and heavy for this. Example: https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1972-donzi-sweet-16-7251871/

As far as what to put under it, I could use my Raptor but I'm also ordering one of those new 4-dr broncos which is a smaller lighter truck.
Regardless the trailer will need to be custom made but need to decide what to put on it first. A classic old school boat would sure be cool to have during our travels.

My wife and I have pretty much decided on a lightly used Newmar London Aire (2018 or 19) and those are rated to tow 20k with 2k hitch weight.
Only issue is it will end up over the 65ft limit in most states but I read that it's usually not something that gets enforced.

Any pictures of the Schiada? I have the same boat. 20RT [emoji1360]

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
I'm biased but I would be looking at a 20' Stoker, Sleekcraft, Lavey, Baker or GMT tunnel. Even the production boats are light when compared to a similar size bass boat. Get a 15" mid on the motor and a hydraulic jack plate. Once you start raising the boat on the stacker trailer put the jack plate all the way down. With the new Bronco that setup should allow you to stay below the height of the RV you choose.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Any pictures of the Schiada? I have the same boat. 20RT [emoji1360]

I'm terrible with saving pictures. They were on a laptop I discarded. It was a 1981 hull, white with light blue and matching seat colors.

baja-chris

Reaction score
I'm biased but I would be looking at a 20' Stoker, Sleekcraft, Lavey, Baker or GMT tunnel. Even the production boats are light when compared to a similar size bass boat. Get a 15" mid on the motor and a hydraulic jack plate. Once you start raising the boat on the stacker trailer put the jack plate all the way down. With the new Bronco that setup should allow you to stay below the height of the RV you choose.
This sounds like a good suggestion. My BIL had a Stoker and spoke highly of it. The Donzi 16 has a 24 deg V and looks fairly tall for such a short boat. OB Tunnel with a hyd jack plate might be the ticket I'm looking for. But 20ft is pretty long for what I'm trying to do. What's the shortest tunnel hull that still has a back set for the dog?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
That's some rig!

Love the Yamaha WaveBlaster...

d56c4155a79e63344ba7ff6b6d9cb756.jpg

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
This sounds like a good suggestion. My BIL had a Stoker and spoke highly of it. The Donzi 16 has a 24 deg V and looks fairly tall for such a short boat. OB Tunnel with a hyd jack plate might be the ticket I'm looking for. But 20ft is pretty long for what I'm trying to do. What's the shortest tunnel hull that still has a back set for the dog?

Here is a 19' Baker for sale here on RDP.

baja-chris

Reaction score
A little follow up on this. I bought the 1988 Baker Tunnel with the open bow and 150 Yamaha 2-stroke. Neat boat.
I bought a 2020 Newmar Dutch Star tag axle which is rated to tow 15,000 with 1500 tongue weight.
And I found my open stacker trailer in South Dakota and went up and got it. Trailer weighs about 5500 empty.
Modified the trailer to fit the track width of my 18 Raptor which is about 6500 lbs, and the Baker should be under 2k so 14,000 loaded trailer (has 16k in axles).

Attachments

• IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 435

baja-chris

Reaction score
Then we modifed the top deck which was setup to carry a boat trailer. Now it carries the Baker direct.
Went out to Lake Pleasant this morning and walked the Baker off it's little trailer and onto the stacker.
Fits beautifully, but I'll tell you that water is COLD this time of year.
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG

baja-chris

Reaction score
Raised it up a little and then remembered to shoot a couple shots of the new interior.
The Baker still had its original carpet and upholstry which was not that bad but showing it's age, a few heat cracks and such so all new now.
IMG_2449.JPG
IMG_2448.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG

baja-chris

Reaction score
I set the top deck at mid level for towing with nothing below it, keeps the stacker from racking and warping.
The Raptor will fit under it with plenty of room, I can lower the deck down to about 3" above the Raptor and top out around 13 ft 6".
I plan to put a hydraulic transom jack on it so I can drop the motor lower while towing. Shot a couple picks as it looks on highway with boat only.
Flying Baker! Looks kinda cool. We plan to tow the full setup to the Florida Keys this summer. I ended up at 67 ft overall length w/motorhome. Should be ok.
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2451.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG

baja-chris

Reaction score
BTW, still some more fab work to do on the fenders, it will have full fenders but had to clearance them for the Raptor.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, you are towing an F150 WITH and F150?

Nice work.

baja-chris

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, you are towing an F150 WITH and F150?

Nice work.
No we tow the trailer with a huge diesel pusher when the Raptor and Baker are both on the trailer. That second F150 belongs to my fabricator and we just used that to get both trailers to the lake so we could float the Baker off it’s little trailer and onto the stacker.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No we tow the trailer with a huge diesel pusher when the Raptor and Baker are both on the trailer. That second F150 belongs to my fabricator and we just used that to get both trailers to the lake so we could float the Baker off it’s little trailer and onto the stacker.

It was tongue in cheek but the trailer looks great. Can you put fenders on it? You’d hate to mess up the truck if you had a blow out.

Taboma

Reaction score
I set the top deck at mid level for towing with nothing below it, keeps the stacker from racking and warping.
The Raptor will fit under it with plenty of room, I can lower the deck down to about 3" above the Raptor and top out around 13 ft 6".
I plan to put a hydraulic transom jack on it so I can drop the motor lower while towing. Shot a couple picks as it looks on highway with boat only.
Flying Baker! Looks kinda cool. We plan to tow the full setup to the Florida Keys this summer. I ended up at 67 ft overall length w/motorhome. Should be ok.

Is the stacker motorized ? That's one hell of a cool setup. Did you find the trailer used ? --- I'm guessing you transferred the bunk measurements from the Baker trailer, so the stacker bunks were ready to go.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
View attachment 974992 View attachment 974993 View attachment 974994

This thing came out bitchen, I'm happy that you like the little Baker. Cool boat and should suit your needs perfectly.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Is the stacker motorized ? That's one hell of a cool setup. Did you find the trailer used ? --- I'm guessing you transferred the bunk measurements from the Baker trailer, so the stacker bunks were ready to go.
Stacker is motorized with a hydraulic pump, ram, and cables and pulleys. Solar charger for battery and also electric winch on board. Electric over hydraulic brakes too. Found trailer used after chasing leads on internet. Drove to South Dakota to get it last month. Took measurements from the original trailer the Baker was on to make the bunks for the stacker.

Taboma

Reaction score
Stacker is motorized with a hydraulic pump, ram, and cables and pulleys. Solar charger for battery and also electric winch on board. Electric over hydraulic brakes too. Found trailer used after chasing leads on internet. Drove to South Dakota to get it last month. Took measurements from the original trailer the Baker was on to make the bunks for the stacker.

Should you desire to do some salt water boating during your travels. I wouldn't want to dip it in salt, does the bunk and trailer design allow for it being fork lifted off or slung ?

baja-chris

Reaction score
They were built by a group of Mennonites in South Dakota on a ranch compound. There was a friend of theirs who retailed them under the brand of Sport Trailers, he is no longer involved. I picked mine up direct from the Mennonites in South Dakota and they told me they stopped making them because the build cost and labor was too much, topping $40k in 2012. They were selling it for a former customer who had gotten too old to use it (too old to travel with RV towing his bass boat and pickup).
Anyway mine is for sale and I want $25k for it. It's in Gilbert AZ. It fits a crewcab Raptor on the bottom, plus a motorcycle on front, and the top is setup for a tunnel hull OB. I have an 18ft Baker but anything up to a 21ft low profile boat would fit (Jet, V, OB etc.).

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Another option for the inmates with a 5w who want to have a boat with them. Saw this at the Springs.

Seems the boat placement would make for interesting handling characteristics of the tow vehicle.

Owner wasn’t around to answer any questions on it.

Attachments

• EA6132E1-353E-451F-8108-5F6E4D2EBF43.jpeg
    EA6132E1-353E-451F-8108-5F6E4D2EBF43.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
  • 5E7D3303-F95B-464E-B97A-40A575FC3BCB.jpeg
    5E7D3303-F95B-464E-B97A-40A575FC3BCB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • 868F50B3-27BE-4B0A-BE44-E9D5DFD119D6.jpeg
    868F50B3-27BE-4B0A-BE44-E9D5DFD119D6.jpeg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 89

Bobby_329

Reaction score
Another option for the inmates with a 5w who want to have a boat with them. Saw this at the Springs.

Seems the boat placement would make for interesting handling characteristics of the tow vehicle.

Owner wasn’t around to answer any questions on it.
Seems like at that point you are already towing double trailers why not just tow the boat behind the 5th wheel?

PaPaG

Reaction score
They were built by a group of Mennonites in South Dakota on a ranch compound. There was a friend of theirs who retailed them under the brand of Sport Trailers, he is no longer involved. I picked mine up direct from the Mennonites in South Dakota and they told me they stopped making them because the build cost and labor was too much, topping $40k in 2012. They were selling it for a former customer who had gotten too old to use it (too old to travel with RV towing his bass boat and pickup).
Anyway mine is for sale and I want $25k for it. It's in Gilbert AZ. It fits a crewcab Raptor on the bottom, plus a motorcycle on front, and the top is setup for a tunnel hull OB. I have an 18ft Baker but anything up to a 21ft low profile boat would fit (Jet, V, OB etc.).
What a great setup. good luck with the sale.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Seems like at that point you are already towing double trailers why not just tow the boat behind the 5th wheel?
Some states don’t allow double trailers. (Even on semis). California being one of them.