WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Issue...

CobraDave

Reaction score
Well I wanted to provide an update to this thread. I got it fixed! That cap came off with smooth jaw pliers. I damaged it slightly but I’m just going to buy a new one. Then I purchased a Harbor Freight Screw style puller for like $15. It didn’t have the proper screws so a trip to Home Depot and got that thing off. It was pretty damn tight. After that it was just unscrewing covers and bolts and eventually the tilt helm and inside piece came a part.

I spun them both and both seemed fine. I dunno. For $200 I had a complete new helm but had to wait for it to come from Florida. Bolted right up and steering is smooth as butter. Cable seems fine. Turned it about a thousand times and all good. Here are some pics of the re assembly.

IMG_9197.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9181.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

IMG_9183.jpg

IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9198.jpg

From the last photo it’s just the billet helm spacer, steering wheel, washer and nut. Off to see if I can get a new one made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
View attachment 999409

From the last photo it’s just the billet helm spacer, steering wheel, washer and nut. Off to see if I can get a new one made.

If you are going to replace it anyways... In the meantime just strip all the anodizing/powercoat off and get out some compound and polish and just go straight polished aluminum. You can just tell people for several years that you were meaning to replace that if they even notice and go about your business for zero extra dollars.

.... or a little blue sharpe might do the trick.

farmo83

Reaction score
Do not put the helm in upside down you'll go left when you mean to go right. Ask me how I learned this.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
I noticed at the Desert Storm Eddie booth they had some nice looking center caps with the various boat logos on them. Made me think about upgrading too!

Attachments

• 20210422_155351.jpg
    20210422_155351.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 54