WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Market Speculation

stillhustlin

Reaction score
I know there are plenty of real estate market prediction oriented threads on here but I’m curious what people’s insights are on the upcoming boat market. This summer I have seen 3 deals in the last month I felt would have been unheard of last summer…
2007 Dana 23’ w/ 6.2 -$17k
2000 ultra 23’ w/ 454 -$18k
1998 eliminator skier 215 w/ 350 -$15k
I understand with inflation new boat costs are significantly up and demand is still very strong but all these deals sat on the market for some bit of time and did not go instantly as overpriced stuff seemed to go last summer. Is the market softening or do people think things are going strong still. I almost picked up the Dana but got cold shoulders. I’m thinking there is going to be a flood of the market after this holiday weekend but who knows.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Just barely cresting over the top of the bubble!

attitude

Reaction score
The pre 2005 sub 22’ market has cooled off a lot.

There was even a magic deck posted for less than 80k last week! Lol

stillhustlin

Reaction score
The pre 2005 sub 22’ market has cooled off a lot.

There was even a magic deck posted for less than 80k last week! Lol
this is what I have seen as well. Seems like a lot of pre 2005 sub 22’ inventory has come up recently

JFMFG

Reaction score
It’s going to cool off. How much no one knows. Fuel insurance storage etc is gonna hurt some people company’s already doing layoffs. I dont think it will drop to a pre pandemic level due to new build costs etc but it will drop.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
What is the fair market value for a collection of different models, years and sizes would be an interesting exercise. As pointed out in another thread, the model year will play a role in perceived value due to financing limitations. All the Mid 2000s boat prices may cool faster as a result. I have asked before but did not get a really good answer as to which manufacturers and years did the industry produce the best combination of quality and performance?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What is the fair market value for a collection of different models, years and sizes would be an interesting exercise. As pointed out in another thread, the model year will play a role in perceived value due to financing limitations. All the Mid 2000s boat prices may cool faster as a result. I have asked before but did not get a really good answer as to which manufacturers and years did the industry produce the best combination of quality and performance?

There are no (almost none) affordable starter or smaller boats made after mid 2000s. They are in such small numbers, they are hard to find, and or priced as much as a mid 2000s deck boat.

A good mid 2000s 22’-26’ and smaller boat will be hard to lose money on in the medium to long term.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
There are no (almost none) affordable starter or smaller boats made after mid 2000s. They are in such small numbers, they are hard to find, and or priced as much as a mid 2000s deck boat.

A good mid 2000s 22’-26’ and smaller boat will be hard to lose money on in the medium to long term.

On the brite side…nobody with a starter boat budget will be able to afford a truck to pull it with anyway.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Don’t you own a boat just like that? 🤔😊

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I want to know where all those 2000's Jet Boats are.. All those Ultra Stealth's 21, 22, poof.... Gone... Maybe a correction will make them come out again.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
Anybody go see that Carrera jet for $9995?
I guess he has a deposit now, looks good for the money.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I sold an Ultra Stealth last year for $31,000. I know for fact that I couldn't get that now. There is Ultra Stealth IO on marketplace that the buy dropped the price to $28,000. I saw one listed for $20k a couple months ago and it sold....not right away though.

We decided to take the year off from boating as the lakes and river are a bit packed for our liking...lots of accidents too. When non river people go to the river, bad things happen.

enemy

Reaction score
I bought a boat and sold a boat this year and had been watching the market really closely for a year or more trying to decide if I would upsize. I haven’t been watching the market as intently in the last couple months but it seems like a lot of the boats I was looking and thought were priced well are still for sale. Wouldn’t be surprised if people start dropping prices now that we are full into summer.

Your ad here

Reaction score
There will be a bunch of boats on the market for a decent price when the lakes go dry. So want a deal? Vote Democrat and support the Sierra Club!

Last edited:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
When people are using all that extra income for gas, utilities, higher interest payments and food, the "fun" budget will get cut.

Your stock investments are down, your crypto is crushed, your home equity is sinking and there's no water in the river..... Bargains will be there in the coming months.

2Driver

Reaction score
LOL if things simply go from nuts to normal it’s a fairly large reduction in the market. Same can be said for vehicles, homes, crypto, stocks……

This time next year: Remember in 2021 when people we’re paying ____ for ____. 🤡

Orangegazm

Reaction score
Not a performance boat but.... I just sold a 2003 Super Air Nautique in a week for $35K, don't get me wrong it was cherry and had 426hrs but I got top dollar for it !!! I also just bought a 2019 Eliminator 27 Speedster, twin 400's w/75hrs... I got a really good deal, the boat never hit the market.

attitude

Reaction score
Not a performance boat but.... I just sold a 2003 Super Air Nautique in a week for $35K, don't get me wrong it was cherry and had 426hrs but I got top dollar for it !!! I also just bought a 2019 Eliminator 27 Speedster, twin 400's w/75hrs... I got a really good deal, the boat never hit the market.
Which Speedster did you buy?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I know there are plenty of real estate market prediction oriented threads on here but I’m curious what people’s insights are on the upcoming boat market. This summer I have seen 3 deals in the last month I felt would have been unheard of last summer…
2007 Dana 23’ w/ 6.2 -$17k
2000 ultra 23’ w/ 454 -$18k
1998 eliminator skier 215 w/ 350 -$15k
I understand with inflation new boat costs are significantly up and demand is still very strong but all these deals sat on the market for some bit of time and did not go instantly as overpriced stuff seemed to go last summer. Is the market softening or do people think things are going strong still. I almost picked up the Dana but got cold shoulders. I’m thinking there is going to be a flood of the market after this holiday weekend but who knows.
it's coming, the return of "CASH IS KING"

traquer

Reaction score
For certain boats, back to prepandemic levels in the next year or two I think. For baller boats, probably minimal difference.

Long term I think the 2010-ish sport boats will become cheaper since more and more are buying wake boats.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
it's coming, the return of "CASH IS KING"

Every time i hear that I chuckle. Was representing a large business around 2008. Went to the annual sales meeting in Scottsdale. The company had just been bought out for a ridicules amount of money. The new sales manager theme was “Cash is King”. Within 6 months the economy crashed and on one fine Monday morning the employees were locked out. Turns out cash is king but the company did not have any. LOL

Last edited:

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
Long term I think the 2010-ish sport boats will become cheaper since more and more are buying wake boats.

Nautique G boats will be the best holder of value in the long term compared to almost any other boat.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I have a few boats saved on FB Marketplace. They are selling slower over a month ago. Only one sold fast because it was priced $10k under the market. Can see prices coming down soon and more coming on the market.

Englewood

Reaction score
I can only speak to my current experience, but when I listed my Howard I had no less than 20 people seriously inquire about it and 50 "Is it avail?" messages. It may have just been that specific boat but the market seems to still be moving.

Riverryder

Reaction score

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
have you taken it out yet?

Aside from Parker, no. Another half day of work and it will be ready to go. I pulled the drain plugs out of it and haven’t replaced them yet, so that is the one thing truly keeping me from running it. I have a tube of Sikaflex-291 to install the new drain plugs, I was just waiting for a replacement cup holder at the helm and wanted to glue everything in at once :).

I just need to clean out the bilge and I took all the decals off it and got a roll of Chinese SeaDeck to replace all the worn not slip tape.