WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat on fire at the Marina

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Saw this on IG. PSA turn in your blowers or open the hatch
4BD218C9-EC45-4D15-95CC-B5DE64983B29.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't see anyone in the water...help or injured...so I hope that's a good thing. Scary as hell though, so I hope it's just a lost boat and injured pride.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
With as close as it is to the ramp, pull it up on the ramp before it floats into another boat or the fuel dock

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
That sucks and will definitely ruin the long weekend.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Not good, i hope everyone got off safe and uninjured. Fire is no joke.

wzuber

Reaction score
A jet boat with diverter full up my b helpful to extinguish however you also have to be careful what angle you approach from as it will push the burn'g boat too. Pinned against the center of the launch ramp would b the only safe place assuming the peeps get out da way. Serious bummer of a day for those affected. Too bad somebody didn't pull the plug to hasten extinguishing.

rrrr

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious the boat caught fire when it was started to back it off of the trailer. I guess no one was injured or killed.

Leaking fuel is easy to smell, even at small concentrations. Starting a boat without opening the engine hatch and performing an inspection is just dumbassery. Running the blower for several minutes before turning the key could save lives.

People continue to die from the most preventable issue that exists in boating. I can't even call it an accident, because that implies it's some random event that can't be foreseen. Call it for what it is, stupidity.

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
Actually, after more thought/consideration........ I think an outboard would likely b the best random boat to roll up to extinguish the fire. I believe it would throw a larger fan with good effective volume and less hull movement from either craft.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Saw on FB so who knows but apparently they had a dog with them and left it in the boat when they went overboard. Some people have no ability to function in an emergency situation. Makes me sick to my stomach to hear about pets going out this way. Should get popped with negligence for shit like that if injury occurs.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Opening hatch doesn’t necessisarly help. Gas fumes drop to the low area. Blowers have vent tubes start at bottom of the bildge to get fumes trapped low...

I have the hatch open from ready lane to the ramp and all the way down into the water. And blower on for this exact reason. Saw a jet ski blow and have been so scared ever since.

95Enforcer

Reaction score
Opening my hatch and checking everything in my engine compartment is something I do every time before i fire the motor. Blower runs for a good 4-5 minutes while i check the plug and load family. Wife backs me down with the engine hatch up. Cycle the key and run the fuel pump and check for leaks. When i know its good I fire it off and check the engine one more time then close the hatch. Been a habit since i caught I fuel leak on my old Spectra 18 way back in the day just before launching. Could've been bad. Feel like things like this can be avoided with a little attention to detail.

BamBam

Reaction score
All of the posts about proper procedure are wonderful, but NO ONE on here actually knows what did or did not happen in this scenario. Me included. Proper procedure will only remove fumes from the bilge. If the vessel has an actual fuel leak (which would be seen in a visual inspection of the bilge with the hatch up) the fumes will not be removed simply by running your blower for 30 seconds prior to cranking/starting. Accidents do happen. I am sad to read about the dog. Glad no one else was injured and no one else had property damage. Fire on water can be scary as hell.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Opening my hatch and checking everything in my engine compartment is something I do every time before i fire the motor. Blower runs for a good 4-5 minutes while i check the plug and load family. Wife backs me down with the engine hatch up. Cycle the key and run the fuel pump and check for leaks. When i know its good I fire it off and check the engine one more time then close the hatch. Been a habit since i caught I fuel leak on my old Spectra 18 way back in the day just before launching. Could've been bad. Feel like things like this can be avoided with a little attention to detail.
Yep. Before I had an OB, we had an IO and I would raise hatch, turn key and then inspect the bilge for any leaks, water or gas. Then fire it up. Did it religiously. Actually was so worried about old gas lines and leaks, I replaced every single piece of rubber than fuel touched the first winter we had the boat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
One of the biggest safety advantages of the outboard.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
i would never have let my dog burn alive.wtf

^For sure^. Hopefully the dog did not have the pain of burn.No doubt up in bow & smoke inhalation.Fact is the dog did not bail because of loyalty.