WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat over at lake pleasant

702sandman

Reaction score
Im gonna say yes, as a single engine Daytona spun in front of me in that spot last year, probably in the 70-80 MPH range.

I’m no boating expert, but I saw it coming seconds before with the attitude of the boat. You race off road and I’m sure have some semblance of vehicle/vessel control. A car won’t do a decreasing radius turn while continuing to apply throttle... it will spin out at some point. Neither will a cat hull boat, it will hook on a sponson and spin.

yes I can feel my race car getting out of shape here and there if some whoops are spaced weird or are super deep but that’s in a racing condition where we are always on the edge if you want to be upfront. I ask about a spin out because I came into a huge cove on Friday and did a big 180 turn at like 35 mph and I wasn’t sure if a spin out was possible at those kind of speeds. the boat felt great and planted so I wasn’t worried just more of a learning question for the future. Does it make any difference being a DCB versus say my magic that felt no where near as planted as the DCB ? So far there has been nothing that feels like it upsets the DCB on the river yet, that being said the wife doesn’t like anything over 70 so with her in the boat we just mostly cruise lol so me and my daughter will go for a speed run here and There.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
yes I can feel my race car getting out of shape here and there if some whoops are spaced weird or are super deep but that’s in a racing condition where we are always on the edge if you want to be upfront. I ask about a spin out because I came into a huge cove on Friday and did a big 180 turn at like 35 mph and I wasn’t sure if a spin out was possible at those kind of speeds. the boat felt great and planted so I wasn’t worried just more of a learning question for the future. Does it make any difference being a DCB versus say my magic that felt no where near as planted as the DCB ? So far there has been nothing that feels like it upsets the DCB on the river yet, that being said the wife doesn’t like anything over 70 so with her in the boat we just mostly cruise lol so me and my daughter will go for a speed run here and There.
I would take Tres’ class and learn the right way versus experimentation.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
To some extent yes, although I am not 100 percent sure since everyone in the class had twins and that was what the subject matter focused on and the on water training. Turning a cat is a series of skids basically, you slide the rear, correct, pause, slide it again, repeat. I would have never done figure 8’s in my boat at 80 before this class. Not saying I’m going to go out and do this but it was pretty awesome to know that you can. It was pretty scary at first, But he teaches you techniques and how to spot trouble before it gets out hand. I keep all my notes and his materials in the boat and I do a quick review before I head out now.

Yea I see that as the big difference. It is a lot harder to explore the limits in a boat vs a car. Much better off getting some guided instruction on what to do and what not to do.

instagator

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to slow down and take responsibility for your actions. Look far enough ahead and if your boat can’t handle the conditions without breaking-lay off the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking ahead only tells you, Oh shit, four foot wake coming, Trim down ,throttle off, almost of plane blurp throttle to stop violent hopping starts to occur trying to keep front sponsons from submerging , If you small boat falls of plane at speeds under 20 MPH because your running a big prop thats pretty much what happens every time.
This is a small boat 23 feet.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Looking ahead only tells you, Oh shit, four foot wake coming, Trim down ,throttle off, almost of plane blurp throttle to stop violent hopping starts to occur trying to keep front sponsons from submerging , If you small boat falls of plane at speeds under 20 MPH because your running a big prop thats pretty much what happens every time.
This is a small boat 23 feet.

I've been flying down the river without another boat in sight....water looks smooth, then all of a sudden I feel a little bump....I know what comes next...more bigger bumps.

If I lift, I may stuff it and that won't end well
If I stay in it, I'll blow it over and that won't end well
If I do something in between sort of...it might end better than the above two options, and has (so far).

You have about half of a nano second to react, and it better be the right reaction or it won't end well.

A big cat is just a bigger wing. Upsetting it at speed while it's packing air will fuck up the situation just like any boat. Things happen fast and sometimes you can't see it coming.

77charger

Reaction score
From the class I remember the turning issues, same thing as a cat with twins. If you leave the boat set in a turn for too long or make the turn too sharp the inboard engine eventually ends up in the low pressure system created by the hull. If that goes on for too long it eventually loses grip and the outboard engines spins the boat out if its a cat or rolls it over on a v hull. All of the turning at speed is done in increments, one turn from 12 to 9 or 3 on the wheel then back and forth from 9 to 6 or 3 to 6 with 3 second pauses in between to keep the prop from aerating. We did some testing in my boat and left it in a 80 mph or so turn for a bit and you can start to see the inboard tach start to climb, that is the first indicator that things are starting to go wrong, eventually bad stuff will happen.

In cats the boat usually stays up right but ejects the occupants because of violence of the spin, in a vhull it usually does a complete roll.

This what causes a fair amount of boats to wreck at the turn up river just south of the sandbar when going northg. Its a long sweeping turn, the river has a current flowing south so it lowers the speed when the aeration will happen and there are also some pretty significant swirling of the water in that section.
Interesting info and makes sense. I learned something new today. I have never driven a twin engine boat so would have never had a clue.