WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat ownership and required knowledge / skills

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
When I was a boy, my Dad worked with a guy that had a sailboat and fairly significant experience on the water. This guy had extensive knowledge in first aid, knot tying, rigging, boat contruction and repair, welding...he was the guy that that if you had any question about how to do damn near anything...he had the answer for....and it was a correct answer...not a halfassed way of doing it.

I guess he was sort of an evolved boy scout of the water....that set out prepared for any issue that might arise, and armed with the means to solve it good enough to get home. He also had the audacity to change his own tire on the side of road when he got a flat one time....

I see posts on facebook all time about "OMG...trailer tire blew... 3 hours till AAA gets here...FML...what will we ever do?"...yet these folks, who aren't prepared enough to deal with a flat tire in a timely manner on dry land, are fully ready to take a boat out onto a body of water with nothing more than a cooler full of beer? Has something changed or am I just getting old and crotchety?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Old and crotchety...only because you used that term...lol

Same here. I just consider it calculating risk and reward.

We all get there at some piint OR we pay a heavy price.

We all know someone that just gets thru life like Forest Gump.

Its frustrating at times

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I once pulled the safety chain off my hydro trailer tongue while one of the tires was deflating after coming apart.
I got the chain off and dove under the trailer, threw the chain around the axle and frame and got a 1/2” bolt in it before the tire lost all air. It was enough to 3 leg it the last 70 Miles or so up I-5 to make it home.

This was at around midnight and pitch black out.
Then I see that insurance ad where the kid doesn’t know what a lug wrench is and his mom is praising liberty mutual for saving him one night when he had a flat tire.
My god. What has happened to us??

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I once pulled the safety chain off my hydro trailer tongue while one of the tires was deflating after coming apart.
I got the chain off and dove under the trailer, threw the chain around the axle and frame and got a 1/2” bolt in it before the tire lost all air. It was enough to 3 leg it the last 70 Miles or so up I-5 to make it home.

Then I see that insurance ad where the kid doesn’t know what a lug wrench is and his mom is praising liberty mutual for saving him one night when he had a flat tire.

It's truely disturbing.

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
Venn diagram2.png

ltbaney1

Reaction score
its all about calculated risk, the back of my truck has 2 milk crates that never leave it. one is full of first aid stuff and emergency water and food that gets rotated out every couple of months, the other is full of tools, oil and ATF. if i leave orange county a floor jack gets added because i dont want to have to change a tire on the 10 with a crappy scissor jack. some of my friends give me a hard time about it. until they have to call me and ask me to bring them a floor jack and tire iron out to barstow because AAA told them 3 hours. my boat is stocked in the same fashion, ive been stuck with nothing ONCE before when i was about 17 and vowed never again. prepare for the worst hope for the best. i would rather it all and never need it than have nothing and need something.

JD D05

Reaction score
I lost a trailer tire last weekend had all my tools except my floor jack a lug wrench it was in my snowmobile trailer from all the trips to Wyoming this year...Unprepared and it pisses me off.

Icky

Reaction score
I lost a trailer tire last weekend had all my tools except my floor jack a lug wrench it was in my snowmobile trailer from all the trips to Wyoming this year...Unprepared and it pisses me off.
I carry a separate tool box with a small bottle jack, grease, bearings breaker bar, rags and latex gloves. Used it a lot last week

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Those posts on River Whips are laughable. My wife will show me, I'm like what is wrong with grown men these days that can't change a tire, change oil or anything?

I carry a 3 ton floor jack and enough tools to pull a motor on the side of the road. Murphy's law. You have it you won't need it.

jones performance

Reaction score
the decline of industrial arts classes in school is part to blame. theres a huge demographic of people that just dont know how to do shit. they've either had it done for them, or never been in a situation that requires them to think for themselves. they typical also lack common sense.

jones performance

Reaction score
Those posts on River Whips are laughable. My wife will show me, I'm like what is wrong with grown men these days that can't change a tire, change oil or anything?

I carry a 3 ton floor jack and enough tools to pull a motor on the side of the road. Murphy's law. You have it you won't need it.

i had to delete that group for that reason, the level of dumbfuckery on that page is way to high.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Some of those whips posts are scary.
I guess I'm fortunate to have grown up with a father that I have, he never called anybody for anything.
Funniest story I have for self sufficiency is when my brother went to Burning Man 1 year and smoke the tranny in his motor home. Him and his buddy went out driving around the desert till he found a ranch with a square body Chevy pickup on blocks. Bought the tranny out of it took it back pulled it apart and changed out the drum.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Keep in mind the average lifespan on the side of the road is less then an hour. I keep a "tow bag" in the truck, case oil, zerk fittings, grease, breaker bar, deadblow, atf, antifreeze, etc

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
I lost the whole wheel on the boat trailer about 15 miles from home picking up this new to me boat back in February, all the studs sheared off. And yes, I did check them all before we left Bullhead. Luckily I was somewhat prepared, I had a floor jack with me and enough ratchet straps to tie up the axle in order to get us home. Ended up rebuilding all the trailer wheels with new bearings, replaced studs and all of the lug nuts to insure it will not happen again. Had my 4 year old son out there helping me with the process.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Keep in mind the average lifespan on the side of the road is less then an hour. I keep a "tow bag" in the truck, case oil, zerk fittings, grease, breaker bar, deadblow, atf, antifreeze, etc

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Lifespan of what ?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

I’m happy to say I’m in the middle where all 3 intersect, but that doesn’t make me bulletproof. I’m taking refreshers in everything, and reread my materials from the courses to stay fresh.

The Liberty Mutual commercial makes me sick.

God I wish I had the power to make that commercial go away

dribble

Reaction score
I once ran out of gas in my 73 chevy pickup right as l got to a gas station. I filled the tank and made it about a mile before the truck quit due to a split fuel pump diaphragm from running dry, leaving me on the side of the road. In the truck I had a dog dish and a zip tie. I took the fuel evap hose off and used it to siphon some gas into the dog dish. I used the zip tie to tie the choke closed, dumped some fuel down the carb and drove the six miles home. I hate that fucking Liberty Mutual commercial too. My 53 year old girlfriend recently had to stop and help two guys about that age change a tire on the side of the road because they couldn't figure it out. Me thinks it's going to get worse.

I tell young people today to find a skilled trade and you'll make bank for life. Due to the everyone goes to college philosophy, young men are incredibly inept today.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I once ran out of gas in my 73 chevy pickup right as l got to a gas station. I filled the tank and made it about a mile before the truck quit due to a split fuel pump diaphragm from running dry, leaving me on the side of the road. In the truck I had a dog dish and a zip tie. I took the fuel evap hose off and used it to siphon some gas into the dog dish. I used the zip tie to tie the choke closed, dumped some fuel down the carb and drove the six miles home. I hate that fucking Liberty Mutual commercial too. My 53 year old girlfriend recently had to stop and help two guys about that age change a tire on the side of the road because they couldn't figure it out. Me thinks it's going to get worse.

I tell young people today to find a skilled trade and you'll make bank for life. Due to the everyone goes to college philosophy, young men are incredibly inept today.

Inept and they are all taught to look down upon manual labor and getting dirty if needed.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I have my MacGyver bag that I always leave in the truck.
It contains a plethora of wire, chain, tape, tools, flat fixer, jumper cables, a hydraulic jack, lug wrench, tow straps, wd-40, scissors, flask, just about everything.

Albert

Reaction score
I like to be prepared as well, my wife well she is spontanious. So we took our rzr out for a quick ride, there was a trail that looked like a cave with no exit. She said lets go in there, I told her its only big enough to go one way and we may not be able to turn around. She said quit being so dramatic. So in shorts flip flops , no phone charger , no drinks or food and kids in the rzr we went forward. Long story short lost for 3 hrs getting dark no service and drop offs of 6’ we made it back . Wife said I will never question you again.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I don't get it either.

I am like most of you. When I set out to cross a hot desert with the family in the truck I am ready for battle.

Tire blow out, no problem. Got a spare, tools, impact, wood, straps, jack, etc.

Blown axle bearings. NO problem, got a spare arm/hub. Worst case got a chain and strap.

Tools galore for both trailer and boat and we know how to use them. Outside of a major rebuild on the boat give us some parts and we can fix it

dribble

Reaction score
Now check this out. I had to replace the plastic drive lube monitor fitting in the outdrive on the transom side because it broke and was leaking all over the bilge. I had to take off the starboard side exhaust just to even see it. There was no way I was getting my hand in there to press the button and release it. My GF said she could crawl into the engine compartment and do it. And she did. So I figured while she was in there, she could put the exhaust back together. And she did that too. One month after having a fairly major surgery. I do believe I have me a keeper.

image1 (1).jpeg
image1 (3).jpeg

nameisbond

Reaction score
I carry tools in the boat and my vehicles... Only called for a tow truck once or maybe twice on land. I've changed all my own flat tires. I was in my jet boat and the cooling hose got a leak. Luckily there was a repair shop with the correct hose. I got the hose for free because I fixed it myself.

PlanB

Reaction score
Years ago my friend was towing a 42' Cig from Miami to Dana Point. He calls me from the New Mexico / Arizona border with transmission issues. I drive out and meet him, and hook the boat to my truck. Two miles down the road, the trailer looses a wheel bearing. We try and take the tire off with a bottle jack, and it grenades (so much for listed ratings). We used an axle strap to secure the axle, and used an E-tool to dig a hole underneath the tire to remove it. I towed the boat all the way to Dana Point like this. I never thought it would make it. I now carry more tools in my truck, including a floor jack at times.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
If she can back a trailer you might have to give serious thought to putting a ring on it.

Now if you knew me, you would know I would never ever say that. I usually say the opposite. So that's saying something. LOL

Now check this out. I had to replace the plastic drive lube monitor fitting in the outdrive on the transom side because it broke and was leaking all over the bilge. I had to take off the starboard side exhaust just to even see it. There was no way I was getting my hand in there to press the button and release it. My GF said she could crawl into the engine compartment and do it. And she did. So I figured while she was in there, she could put the exhaust back together. And she did that too. One month after having a fairly major surgery. I do believe I have me a keeper.

View attachment 638301 View attachment 638302

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Waiting for AAA on the side of highway=misery
Waiting for SeaTow on the lake=vacation

'Cept for the looming repair bill, Who to take it to yadda yadda...

But yeah if you are going to break might as well do it on the lake. There's a slogan for ya. lol

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I wonder if one can get a DUI getting towed back?

;):cool:

That's funny...there was a guy on one of the ocean fishing sites a while back in a thread talking about getting towed in, and he said he "breaks down" sometimes at the island and has to call for a tow home. Everyone jumped his shit for being an irresponsible boater. Then he explained how it was much more enjoyable to sit back and drink beer while not burning his own fuel on the way home than it was otherwise...and since he already had the membership and coverage...

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
A few years back, I was 20+ miles north of Katherines, cruising and looking for a beach to hang out on. Waaaay back in a cover, I see a boat flagging me down. I'm thinking shit, probably have to fix somebody's boat...wtf...???

So I head over that way and see what's going on. 2 women in a seadoo type boat can't get it started and want to be towed back to Katherines. I really didn't want to end my day at 9:30 in the morning. She told me it has a draw on it somewhere and kills the battery, AND she didn't charge it like she usually does. WTF...???

I managed to jump start the pos, in waist deep water considering my boat has no real neutral, wife was sitting at the wheel constantly adjusting the fwd/rev handle. (Berkeley pump)

I guess I was lucky that seadoo boat had a magneto, or I would have had to tow it in and f#ck my day up. Never seen them again that day ...

Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.

Dan'l

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I always carried a Jack, tools, and two spare tires when I towed...

One time coming home from the lake, not towing, I got a flat in my Suburban that was lowered with 22's.

The jack wouldn't fit under the car (too tall) and the stock lug wrench would fit in the sockets for the lug nuts. Luckily, a buddy lived a few miles away and brought everything I needed. Then the spare would fit in the front, so I had to change it to the back. As prepared as I always was, I had not thought to check anything on this car, and for some reason it never occurred to me that none of the stock stuff would work. Needless to say, I put a lug wrench, jack, tire plug kit, and fix-a-flat in the car the next day.

rrrr

Reaction score
I always carried a Jack, tools, and two spare tires when I towed...

One time coming home from the lake, not towing, I got a flat in my Suburban that was lowered with 22's.

The jack wouldn't fit under the car (too tall) and the stock lug wrench would fit in the sockets for the lug nuts. Luckily, a buddy lived a few miles away and brought everything I needed. Then the spare would fit in the front, so I had to change it to the back. As prepared as I always was, I had not thought to check anything on this car, and for some reason it never occurred to me that none of the stock stuff would work. Needless to say, I put a lug wrench, jack, tire plug kit, and fix-a-flat in the car the next day.

I have eight of the stock Ford lug nuts in my Excursion in case I get a flat. The aftermarket wheel lug nuts will not properly secure the spare tire.

If any of you have an Ex or a F-250 and run aftermarket wheels, it's something you should check out.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I have eight of the stock Ford lug nuts in my Excursion in case I get a flat. The aftermarket wheel lug nuts will not properly secure the spare tire.

If any of you have an Ex or a F-250 and run aftermarket wheels, it's something you should check out.

What's a lug nut?

DLC

Reaction score
I got a flat tire last year when towing my dump trailer to Havasu, it was summer and hot hot hot. I pulled off the 10 at Eagle Mtn rd and was back on the 10 in less than 19 minutes! Changed out the tire and cleaned up and hit the road in record time

Dukes of Hazzard tire change!

Everything just worked out there was a hunk of 4x4 block right where I stopped and then I pulled the trailer up on to it with the Frt tire on the Trailer it lifted the back tire and the stars were aligned just perfect , so sometimes ya get lucky

Sometimes bad luck is the only luck you have

Although about 8 years ago I got a flat on my flat bed Trailer ( hit a bad pothole ) headed to ocotillo wells for a weekend and the tire just shredded and I had just 2 tire sidewall rings hanging on the rim and I couldn’t keep the rim from spinning as I tried to break the lugs loose... total pain in the ass! So after about 45 minutes of working at it, I just ratchet up the axle and finished the drive to the desert and changed it out after I set up Campanella had a couple coldie!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
A few years back, I was 20+ miles north of Katherines, cruising and looking for a beach to hang out on. Waaaay back in a cover, I see a boat flagging me down. I'm thinking shit, probably have to fix somebody's boat...wtf...???

So I head over that way and see what's going on. 2 women in a seadoo type boat can't get it started and want to be towed back to Katherines. I really didn't want to end my day at 9:30 in the morning. She told me it has a draw on it somewhere and kills the battery, AND she didn't charge it like she usually does. WTF...???

I managed to jump start the pos, in waist deep water considering my boat has no real neutral, wife was sitting at the wheel constantly adjusting the fwd/rev handle. (Berkeley pump)

I guess I was lucky that seadoo boat had a magneto, or I would have had to tow it in and f#ck my day up. Never seen them again that day ...

Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.

Dan'l

So last Sunday, last day of my DS vacation, everything is packed and ready to go cept for putting the boat away. I'm gonna make one more relaxing dam run/float before I put the boat back on the trailer. I head out from Big Bend and hardly anyone is on the water, my kinna day for sure. Right in the middle of glass alley, there is seado boat flagging me down, I head over there and they are dead in the water, family of four and they are trying to get back to Echo. At least they have a paddle! lol

I'm not gonna let them paddle all the way back, so I hook em up and tow em back to the launch ramp. They were super appreciative, and said it was actually their anniversary! They tried to offer me a few bucks, but I wasn't gonna take it. Even though it was my last run of the week, I was still happy to do it.

Why am I writing this??

IF you are ever in a need to be towed situation, please be ready to towed! ie: a solid rope hooked up to your bow hook that someone can hook up to their boat easily. I probably spent more time getting them away from the rocks and hooked up as I towing them back. :p

Be prepared people. For anything that might come your way!!!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Why does anybody go boating and not carry boat towing coverage? (Ie: Vessal Assist, Sea Tow, etc). It’s fucking $72 a year!!! ($6 dollars or 1 Starbucks coffee a damn month) I carry it for the mere fact I don’t want to ruin somebodies day on the water. I’ve towed several boats over 10+ miles to their launch ramp just for good karma, but damnit it sure eats into your day. Rant over.

dribble

Reaction score
Why does anybody go boating and not carry boat towing coverage? (Ie: Vessal Assist, Sea Tow, etc). It’s fucking $72 a year!!! ($6 dollars or 1 Starbucks coffee a damn month) I carry it for the mere fact I don’t want to ruin somebodies day on the water. I’ve towed several boats over 10+ miles to their launch ramp just for good karma, but damnit it sure eats into your day. Rant over.

Because even though I've towed a couple of people in I've never been towed and 90% of the time I have family and friends out in their boats, so if there is a problem there's a tow boat there already.

redone76

Reaction score
Where can I go to get boat towing coverage?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I like to be prepared as well, my wife well she is spontanious. So we took our rzr out for a quick ride, there was a trail that looked like a cave with no exit. She said lets go in there, I told her its only big enough to go one way and we may not be able to turn around. She said quit being so dramatic. So in shorts flip flops , no phone charger , no drinks or food and kids in the rzr we went forward. Long story short lost for 3 hrs getting dark no service and drop offs of 6’ we made it back . Wife said I will never question you again.

This reminds me of what happened to me this last Easter.
New to me Rhino and knew the tie rod ends were a little worn. No tools on the machine yet, went out in the afternoon, it was fine. After Easter dinner my daughter and MIL wanted to go for another ride. “Ok” I said. In the back of my head im thinking “You still have no tools on this thing so be careful.”

Of course, it breaks a tie rod end in the middle of the desert and it is nearly dark. All I had was a 1 inch ratchet strap, and luckily after 2 tries, and making it 500 feet, the third try using a rock as a hammer, with the strap holding the tie rod end on got us home.

I was at Harbor Freight when they opened Monday morning getting tools.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
For a trip of any length I am tooled up. Around town I will risk it sometimes.

I have taught both my kids how to change the oil and swap out wheels.

My daughter had to take over for her boyfriend when they were replacing a gas range at his house. LOL Like gas fittings are complicated?

4Waters

Reaction score
This goes with me as well with 2 topped off batteries and impact sockets that fit all lug nuts (trailer and tow veh) and prop nut.
dewalt-impact-wrenches-dcf889b-64_1000.jpg