WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat purchase

Dalton

Reaction score
How do you make sure a boat doesn't have any liens or something crazy when purchasing it?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well there always is the "buy new" option. ;) :D.

Seriously though that is a good question.. I would suppose if someone had the title in hand?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Call the DMV and tell them the vin number and you plan on buying it. They can not tell you much but they will tell you if there is a lien. Several trucks I looked at used had liens on them when I called. The low price had me concerned so I checked. Boats can easily have a tax lien on them that needs clearing. I just recently went to DMV and they told me I had a lien from my annual tax bill 2 years ago. Had to call and have them send me a clearance paper for DMV. It was paid but not entered in computer. 3rd time it has happened in 14 years.

Dalton

Reaction score
It is out of az...registered in az anyway, my friend just said the registration will say on the bottom if there is a lien...

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
How do you make sure a boat doesn't have any liens or something crazy when purchasing it?

Before CA went to Bi-Annual Registration in 2000 the easiest way was to see if the registration was current, ie: in 1999 the boat displayed a '99' sticker. DMV won't give you a renewal unless all liens public (taxes) & private (financing & storage) are paid/current.

The down side to BA-Reg is the "seller" could renew the registration for the upcoming term, then not pay the taxes, storage fees, etc for almost 2 years and you the buyer have no idea, since the seller stated in their ad "current registration"!

Over the last 5 years I looked at alot of boats that were cheap, but had stickers dating back to the early-mid 2000's... First Red Flag. In orange county you can go on to the tax accessors web site, enter in the CF and see the current tax status. One boat I looked at & almost bought had $3500 due in back taxes, that I was gonna be on the hook for had I purchased :yikes

NicPaus

Reaction score
It is out of az...registered in az anyway, my friend just said the registration will say on the bottom if there is a lien...

Same in CA but that is for a bank lien. Usually bank will not give you the title until you pay it off and they will sign off on that portion of title before sending it to you. A tax lien or other liens will not show on title. A seller selling without title in hand is a red flag.

Dalton

Reaction score
The registration is out by 2 years, which was a red flag, it is the brown eliminator jet that has been on SoCal CL for a little bit

headshothills

Reaction score

Only issue is, if someone went and got a duplicate before the lien, and then put it on after, and if handing over the old one, it wouldn't say. Normally yes, a lien is covered on the title, and a lien payoff letter accompanies it, but checking with DMV, MVA, etc, if prob the best bet...

Dalton

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400785020.382035.jpg

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score

AZ has issued plastic registration cards since 2012.

Since there is no Unsecured Property Tax (there is but its incorporated into the registration fees) or Sales Tax between Private Parties on Vessels in AZ, my advice is to get the guy down at least a grand in price, and pay the back registration if you really want the boat. However, (I cannot recall the length of time off hand) you might have to take the boat to the AZ Dept Fish & Game office to have them verify the #s.

One boat I looked at was last registered in '01 and AZDFG told me "because 'X' number of years had passed since the boat was last registered the HIN and Reg numbers would have to be verified in person, and once approved, back (non-resident) registration paid + penalties."

Dalton

Reaction score
What do you think the penalties will be? I am an az resident

Dalton

Reaction score
The website makes it seem likes it's only a 5 dollar fine to renew after it's already expired

530RL

Reaction score
In Az, the trailer is registered and has a title. If there is a lien on the boat, there will in just about all cases be a lien on the trailer. Check the trailer title. It will say if there is a lien right on it. Remember in AZ, you need both the boat HIN and the trailer VIN on the bill of sale to actually own both of these items.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
What do you think the penalties will be? I am an az resident

The website makes it seem likes it's only a 5 dollar fine to renew after it's already expired

My understanding is as a legal resident you shouldn't have to pay any, just back registration for 2012-2014 @ $35/yr = $105 + the transfer fee $5.

I think it was in '03 or '04 when AZ went to Resident & Non Resident reg, then a to a fee schedule a few years later. Maybe something was getting lost in the phone conversions I had w/ Arizona Game and Fish Department, but to bring the boat current was going to cost just over a grand. That was the Icing on the Cake and at that point I backed out of the purchase: $6500 boat, $800 (private) mechanic/storage lien, 5 new tires $750, plus all the shit you 'need' when purchasing a new to you boat :p, also I couldn't get it insured (age & power).

NicPaus

Reaction score

It should not be much, ca it was like $10 and registration for 2 years was $20 it just went up. The problem in CA is they send you a seperate property tax bill. I would not worry to much about a lien as it is AZ registered. The reason the boat has not sold as it was way overpriced. He keeps lowering it but I would not offer him more than $6500 IMO. It is a old jet boat, I used to own one and if you have $10k might as well jump up to a nice merc powered IO for a few K more.

dribble

Reaction score
I'm guessing that your question has to do with mechanics liens etc.

In California, unless there is a lien holder on the title, nobody has a valid lien on a vehicle without having actual possession of said vehicle. So a shop that did $5,000 worth of work but did not get paid has no lien if the vehicle was released to the customer. Their only recourse is civil suit against the person who contracted for the work with the shop for money damages. That law also includes liens for storage, towing, etc.

Update to post. Arizona Never mind.

Dalton

Reaction score
If you type in eliminator jet that is pretty much the going price, I was thinking the color is the reason it hasn't sold, not that the asking price is what I offered lol, yes I wanted a big block/bravo setup but I'm kinda opening up to other things, and if I can spend under ten instead of over 15 for a good running hot rodish boat I'm all for it, but it's still speculation at this point, and I'm in Afghanistan which is making things harder not being there.

Andy01

Reaction score
Az is title less with boats. I believe the term was Ucc lien. For banks to file. Trailer title must be notarized for az transfer. A az rule.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
If you type in eliminator jet that is pretty much the going price, I was thinking the color is the reason it hasn't sold

Nice!! I was looking at that one to, it is beautiful and I love the colors....... just not into Jets. It is a beautiful Sport Cruiser. I ended up getting a Sport Cruiser as well.....jumped on this one when I saw the outboard :D

Attachments

• 20140408_115538.jpg
    20140408_115538.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 38

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score

Same in CA, the title owner goes on the registration, same with a car

Faceaz

Reaction score
Don't trust just looking at the title or registration... In many cases the owner will have a clear title, then the state will attach a lien for taxes, child support, etc. & the title will still read clear because it was issued before the lien.

Unfortunately, the best way is have the current owner go with you to the Game & Fish / MVD & change it with him present.

Andy01

Reaction score
best way is have the current owner go with you to the Game & Fish / MVD & change it with him present.

Or hire a company to do a title search and escrow the money. If you are concerned about it and it is out of your state.

2Driver

Reaction score
Run a search for a AZ boat lien here: http://www.azsos.gov/apps/ucc/search/

THE registration WILL NOT have any indication about a lein. Its a registration and there is no Boat Title in AZ as others have said. He could owe $100,000 on the boat and the registration would look the same. The trailer title will have a lien noted BUT he could have a loan on the boat when he bought it then later paid cash for a trailer, that would be a one off, but could happen.

Do your homework. It would suck to buy a boat then have it legally repo'd based on something you weren't responsible for.

Dalton

Reaction score
It looks like someone bought it today! Sucks but there will be more, and I'm starting to think of my original plan to stick with a cole or Carrera, also found this on CL which you guys might enjoy, custom jack plate and trailer!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401006192.460684.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
When will you be back from Afghanistan? Right now is the worst time to buy as it is beginning of summer. I will keep my ears open on deals that might not be listed and pm you if something good pops up. Be safe over there.

Dalton

Reaction score
Yeah I agree the prices are probably most inflated right now, and thanks man! I'll be back around October I think....

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
The brown boat you bought is an old friend of mines. Title is clean and he only used it a couple times. He's a straight shooter, just either over the river now or would need a fast boat to fit his river personality. That boat is as clean as can be and the stereo is well done.

Dalton

Reaction score
I did not buy it! Haha my friend was gonna go out Sunday for me to pick it up but someone bought it Saturday!

Dalton

Reaction score
I got a commander with a 455 olds and alpha drive idk why but the stringers only go from the transom to the backseat! jk! it's a bbc and Berkeley set up, bring on the commander horror stories! [emoji50][emoji50][emoji12][emoji12][emoji41]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401864206.307648.jpg

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
As stated before, az is a non title state when it comes to boats. The azgf will issue boat registration, nothing on the registration with regards to lienholders.

Most times when banks finance a boat that is registered in az, they will file a ucc form with the Secretary of State to protect their interest, as well as been listed as lienholders on the boat trailer. When buying a boat that is az registered, you want to check with the secretary of states office and make sure there are no ucc liens and make sure they have clear title to the trailer.