WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Sales Tax

Englewood

Reaction score
If a boat is purchased in Missouri, and the address on bill of sale is AZ where the buyer has a residence, will sales tax be due? Any way around paying sales tax in AZ? Will Coast Guard Reg avoid taxes?

I purchased the boat from Marine Max, who had it on consignment for the seller. Would that be considered private sale?

Last edited:

Englewood

Reaction score
The title won't have MM on it so it'll be like a private sale.
My Rzr was a consignment sale with Ca title and Az did not apply any tax.
Sure hope that's the case...$10k on the line here and I didn't get any of Joe's Stimmy money 🤣

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I purchased the boat from Marine Max, who had it on consignment for the seller.

I did the same thing, I paid the consignment house their fee separately, boat owner signed the title, transfer appeared to be a private party deal between me and the owner.

Registered boat in AZ with no sales tax.

@Ziggy is right.

Englewood

Reaction score
You guys are obviously missing the most important question - What boat did you buy!!?? Pics?

So....My kids wanted to try watersports after having our Magic for 4 years. Loved every second of that boat. I sell it for a stupid amount and buy a Nautiue G23. I hate it, it's boring, it's slow, it rides like shit, and it's annoying to drive in tight spots. I'm selling this SOB and going back to a deck.

Tank

Reaction score
So....My kids wanted to try watersports after having our Magic for 4 years. Loved every second of that boat. I sell it for a stupid amount and buy a Nautiue G23. I hate it, it's boring, it's slow, it rides like shit, and it's annoying to drive in tight spots. I'm selling this SOB and going back to a deck.
LOL, that's funny.

I'm sure you'll do good on the sale and pick up something great. 👍

DWC

Reaction score
Roll bar boat is definitely a different experience. Docking sucks, getting to a destination sucks more.. Nothing better for family time though. You just gotta make sure you’re not the only tow boat in the group. That gets old fast.
congrata on the new ride. At least show pics before you sell it.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Yeah as long as the dealer is off the title and bill of sale you are in the clear.. if not you will be writing a check to AZ dept of revenue in order to transfer it

rrrr

Reaction score
I purchased the boat from Marine Max, who had it on consignment for the seller.

Did you consider asking Marine Max their opinion? Since their business is to sell boats, you know?

ACS

Reaction score
If you buy a boat from a dealer (consignment) tax will be due in AZ. I purchased a boat threw Maxed out Marine two years ago and sales tax was paid.

tx-19

Reaction score
I bought a boat from California a few years ago from a dealer.as long as they shipped it to me in az I didn’t have to pay tax on the boat just the trailer

PlanB

Reaction score
If you buy from a dealer in California and take delivery in Arizona, you still owe use tax to the state of Arizona. I went through this years ago, and it took Arizona four years to catch up to me after the dealer failed to properly collect tax at the time of sale. Had to write a check to Arizona for 20k.

DWC

Reaction score
If you buy from a dealer in California and take delivery in Arizona, you still owe use tax to the state of Arizona. I went through this years ago, and it took Arizona four years to catch up to me after the dealer failed to properly collect tax at the time of sale. Had to write a check to Arizona for 20k.
Was it Registered in AZ? That’s a SOB.
We bought ours through a broker in AZ. California sent us a bill a couple years later. Coast Guard registered with an AZ registered trailer. Took a few months and storage documentation that it wasn’t in Cal for at least the first 6mos. Brutal process.

PlanB

Reaction score
Was it Registered in AZ? That’s a SOB.
We bought ours through a broker in AZ. California sent us a bill a couple years later. Coast Guard registered with an AZ registered trailer. Took a few months and storage documentation that it wasn’t in Cal for at least the first 6mos. Brutal process.

It was documented through the Coast Guard. California originally came after us, and they then reported us to Arizona when we showed an Arizona delivery.

• Wow
Reactions: DWC

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The answer to this is actually fully dependent upon the way the deal goes down. However if it’s 100% on the up and up you will need to pay tax on the boat and trailer as you’re purchasing from a dealer. If the seller, dealer and you can make a deal where dealer gets paid cash (he will probably be perfectly ok with as saved him tax) and then he’s just the “Broker” on a private party sale, than no there shouldn’t be any taxes due from anyone.

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Same thing I said when I traded my Magic for a Playcraft, slow, ponderous, ill handling and terrible in the wind. Once parked it was sweet but getting there took forever and lots of patience lol.
NSF

boatnam2

Reaction score
I tried this trick with a AWS in AZ on a boat that was on consignment there. Bottom line was tax would of been so and went another direction.