WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat sinks in havasu boat fire

New to boating

Reaction score
Difference between dealing with a guy like Preston and other outfits is Preston will 100% make this right.

The true testament to a company isn’t when things are peachy and going 100% right. The testament to a company is when things go wrong and how they handle it.

Par for the course here on this Blog.... it is the supreme rulers "position" that somehow the people at Horizon are now charged with "making this right".... they sold a USED boat, I am assuming that it was being operated by the new Owner who is responsible for INSURING IT, and assumes the responsibility for operating it properly as well as taking on the responsibility we all have as Boat Owners for problems that may surface.....

This is unfortunate for sure (regardless of the length of time he owned the boat) and a horrible way to have your 75 degree saturday boating day come to an end but the reality is no one knows the fact set at all here............ maybe the guy was looking in the gas tank with a cigarette lighter to see how much fuel was left because the gas gauge was not working....... we simply don't know..... I was on the water when this happened and drove by - it was ugly.

But Preston will "stroke a check to make it right"..... Okay Dave,, that makes a lot of sense...

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
My friends are selling their 2009 Magic Deckboat (S series)

151 original hours. 650HP NA Boostpower motor. Huge stereo. Sanitary clean.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Par for the course here on this Blog.... it is the supreme rulers "position" that somehow the people at Horizon are now charged with "making this right".... they sold a USED boat, I am assuming that it was being operated by the new Owner who is responsible for INSURING IT, and assumes the responsibility for operating it properly as well as taking on the responsibility we all have as Boat Owners for problems that may surface.....

This is unfortunate for sure (regardless of the length of time he owned the boat) and a horrible way to have your 75 degree saturday boating day come to an end but the reality is no one knows the fact set at all here............ maybe the guy was looking in the gas tank with a cigarette lighter to see how much fuel was left because the gas gauge was not working....... we simply don't know..... I was on the water when this happened and drove by - it was ugly.

But Preston will "stroke a check to make it right"..... Okay Dave,, that makes a lot of sense...
Now, I have only been on the board for a year or so. I haven't seen too terribly many posts by you. The ones I have read are pretty much stained by spewing of hatred for RD. I am sure you have your reasons (took your last beer from the cooler, made fun of the gel on your boat...took your lunch money in elementary school). One may ask though, why do you choose to bless us with your presence? Most here are smartasses in general. That said, most are "equal opportunity" haters, and tend to pick on all members equally. If there is a problem with one individual, squash is it amongst yourselves.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Now, I have only been on the board for a year or so. I haven't seen too terribly many posts by you. The ones I have read are pretty much stained by spewing of hatred for RD. I am sure you have your reasons (took your last beer from the cooler, made fun of the gel on your boat...took your lunch money in elementary school). One may ask though, why do you choose to bless us with your presence? Most here are smartasses in general. That said, most are "equal opportunity" haters, and tend to pick on all members equally. If there is a problem with one individual, squash is it amongst yourselves.

He does have a point though. It’s a bad situation all around. I don’t see a dealer taking the fall on a full loss insurance claim post delivery.

It may be another one of those deals that forum management should have just said nothing at all.

But it was not my boat, nor was I the dealer, so who knows.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
He does have a point though. It’s a bad situation all around. I don’t see a dealer taking the fall on a full loss insurance claim post delivery.

It may be another one of those deals that forum management should have just said nothing at all.

But it was not my boat, nor was I the dealer, so who knows.

IMO, Preston will work with new owners insurance company to get as much $$ as possible and then try to get owner into another boat at the right price without additional out of pocket money.

No way a business is going to eat a 140k consignment sale. Business don’t stay in business doing that.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
IMO, Preston will work with new owners insurance company to get as much $$ as possible and then try to get owner into another boat at the right price without additional out of pocket money.

No way a business is going to eat a 140k consignment sale. Business don’t stay in business doing that.

That is the best case wishful thinking scenario if the insurance Co’s play nice with each other, but yea.. hopefully.

DWC

Reaction score

I would think/hope that Preston isn’t on the line for the whole thing. We were able to get insurance docs signed and official in roughly an hour on the current boat. Hopefully the owners were able to get everything signed, dotted and crossed. Bummer deal for everyone involved.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I would think/hope that Preston isn’t on the line for the whole thing. We were able to get insurance docs signed and official in roughly an hour on the current boat. Hopefully the owners were able to get everything signed, dotted and crossed. Bummer deal for everyone involved.

I don’t think he would be on the hook anyway?

If I buy a 10 year old used car from a dealer and it explodes 5 miles down the road, it’s kind of my problem. If Horizon did their due diligence in some sort of pre purchase inspection or safety check, (which they seem to be reputable and likely did) it is just an unfortunate accident.

To your point, insurance is easy and quick to obtain.

PlanB

Reaction score
We have always had insurance on every boat we have taken delivery of before the trailer was hooked to our truck. When I sold my Top Gun to a guy on the other side of the country, I talked to him on the phone before the transport company hooked it up to make sure he had the boat insured. Hopefully their was a policy in place with the buyers.

Englewood

Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on why its the dealers fault? He sold a used boat. As-is.

I get sued once per year over dumb shit I have no control over. All these frivolous lawsuits just create a higher cost for the consumer. A prime example is real estate commissions. It's always the agent who gets sued. Cost is passed on to homeowners.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
dont know any one in this situation.. sad to see.. glad no one got hurt...
my .02
buying a used boat and not putting insurance before you took delivery is a mistake..
if dealer is selling a used boat(consignment or owned)does not have a signed contract thats AS-IS no warranty is a mistake..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Could be Preston is a friend of mine and I have watched him bend over backwards for customers time and time again over and beyond (way over and beyond) what is even his responsibility.

Might be I was standing next to Preston when the pics of the fire were coming in at Oldsmobile hill..

Maybe it was when I was grabbing beers out of Billy Blake’s cooler in Preston’s camp later that night after it came to light that it was Horizon that sold the boat when he said “I’ll do whatever it takes even if I have to buy the boat back.”

I dunno..

All said and done the guy is getting another boat from Horizon right now. The boat was insured by the new owner and it is being handled.

Customer is happy at the end of the day and when the official reports come out as to what happened, if you are really interested in knowing what happened I can share it with you then.

Maybe if you weren’t so New to Boating you’d realize not everyone in this industry is out to get someone. There are some good people in this industry, Preston is one of them. I’d say you aren’t but we already went over the fact that you aren’t in the industry in our last exchange.. lol

Taboma

Reaction score
Anybody happen to see or get a video of the police boats extinguishing the fire on the Magic using their outboards as this write up states ?
I've watched pwcs hosing down a boat fire and I've read about outboards trimmed up and throttle pinned throwing a nice roost, but never seen it.

Magic fire.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
Could be Preston is a friend of mine and I have watched him bend over backwards for customers time and time again over and beyond (way over and beyond) what is even his responsibility.

Might be I was standing next to Preston when the pics of the fire were coming in at Oldsmobile hill..

Maybe it was when I was grabbing beers out of Billy Blake’s cooler in Preston’s camp later that night after it came to light that it was Horizon that sold the boat when he said “I’ll do whatever it takes even if I have to buy the boat back.”

I dunno..

All said and done the guy is getting another boat from Horizon right now. The boat was insured by the new owner and it is being handled.

Customer is happy at the end of the day and when the official reports come out as to what happened, if you are really interested in knowing what happened I can share it with you then.

Maybe if you weren’t so New to Boating you’d realize not everyone in this industry is out to get someone. There are some good people in this industry, Preston is one of them. I’d say you aren’t but we already went over the fact that you aren’t in the industry in our last exchange.. lol
See, I knew you were with Preston this weekend from another thread so I knew you had inside information.

PlanB

Reaction score
Anybody happen to see or get a video of the police boats extinguishing the fire on the Magic using their outboards as this write up states ?
I've watched pwcs hosing down a boat fire and I've read about outboards trimmed up and throttle pinned throwing a nice roost, but never seen it.

View attachment 841883

I saw videos on FB. Not sure where it was posted. Might have been River Whips.

Loo Dog

Reaction score

I dunno..

Mic drop

Springfield

Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on why its the dealers fault? He sold a used boat. As-is.

I get sued once per year over dumb shit I have no control over. All these frivolous lawsuits just create a higher cost for the consumer. A prime example is real estate commissions. It's always the agent who gets sued. Cost is passed on to homeowners.

So used boat sales are now linked to real estate commissions? Realtors have E&O insurance (if not a fly by night operation), how is it the homeowners obsorb the costs, school me please.

Tank

Reaction score

I dunno..

That's really cool of Preston. Frankly, he could've legally and actually morally said, "I'm really sorry this happened, good luck" and washed his hands. I mean, it's not his fault the boat caught fire and there's no obligation to do anything. You're not the only person in the industry I've heard praise Preston either. Seems to be a common theme. Goes to shows there are some individuals left in the performance boating arena that are good people. I'm happy there's a happy ending here for everyone.

Englewood

Reaction score
So used boat sales are now linked to real estate commissions? Realtors have E&O insurance (if not a fly by night operation), how is it the homeowners obsorb the costs, school me please.

Do you think EO is free? So many frivolous lawsuits have increased the costs of doing business (increased premiums), which then gets passed on to the consumer.

It's a simple analogy. To answer your question, no, the 2 are not related.

sirbob

Reaction score
I know Dave is friends with Preston and don’t doubt what Dave said was true...

However, I don’t see the need for Preston to do anything really. The boat is insured and the guy is back in the market and may buy another boat from Preston.

About the only thing I can see Preston possibly doing is letting the burned boat owner store it at Horizon while the adjusters work out the details?

I guess I don’t even see the need for some heroic action on the part of Preston???

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I want to know what actually happen to the boat to catch fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure everybody does, but until the final investigation is complete nobody can say anything.

A Common cause of boat fires though are lose an impeller exhaust gets hot and something is touching the exhaust. (Blower tube, oil lines etc)

Another common cause is the rubber between the headers and the tips will catch fire if the exhaust gets hot enough after an impeller failure

Common causes of impeller failure can be old age..(Not servicing the boat) Dry firing (running the boat out of the water). Weeds, sand, gravel passing through the cooling system. Old Stock (impeller sitting on shelf for years at a shop then being installed accidentally).

If your impeller goes south in a boat things can get pretty real pretty quick if you don’t realize it or turn the boat off in time.

Other common causes is fuel lines deteriorating from Ethanol in the fuel.

Not running bilge blower before startup and gas fumes igniting.

Could be a bunch of different things that caused it.. Right down to something so simple as a low water pickup and the water being down in Havasu right now, taking out an impeller. Who knows..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I know Dave’s is friends with Preston and don’t doubt what Dave said was true...

However, I don’t see the need for Preston to do anything really. The boat is insured and the guy is back in the market and may buy another boat from Preston.

About the only thing I can see Preston possibly doing is letting the burned boat owner store it at Horizon while the adjusters work out the details?

I guess I don’t even see the need for some heroic action on the part of Preston???

To be clear of what I was saying was, If Horizon has sold the guy a bum boat and the new owner was gonna take it in the shorts, Preston would have stepped up and made it right.. He would have just bought it back.

In short when the internet trolls were making memes implying that someone bought something from Horizon and got burned (pun intended)... I was saying no way does The Preston I know let this guy take it in the ass.

I watched Preston wait on a launch ramp to meet a guy to fix a stereo on a boat he sold the season before! Lol. He genuinely cares about his customers and goes way way way beyond what is necessary to help them out and make sure they are happy.

Not to many dealers stand behind what they sell like that.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
To be clear of what I was saying was l, If Horizon has sold the guy a bum boat and the new owner was gonna take it in the shorts, Preston would have stepped up and made it right.. He would have just bought it back.

You kinda signed him up for heroic actions with the original post :). But I don't think anyone had any expectations that was going to or needed to happen. These are the types of things insurance is for.

It is a bummer outcome for all involved, and likely no ones fault.

BONER

Reaction score
I don’t think he would be on the hook anyway?

If I buy a 10 year old used car from a dealer and it explodes 5 miles down the road, it’s kind of my problem. If Horizon did their due diligence in some sort of pre purchase inspection or safety check, (which they seem to be reputable and likely did) it is just an unfortunate accident.

To your point, insurance is easy and quick to obtain.

So I've seen this happen in a Car Dealership. The Dealership was held accountable, because of the Safety Inspection.

Pretty sticky situation for Horizon.

Englewood

Reaction score

I agree. However, with so many keyboard know-it-alls, it would be worth buying back just to save his reputation if it came to that. Stuff like this is what I hate the most about being in business for myself.

Springfield

Reaction score
Do you think EO is free? So many frivolous lawsuits have increased the costs of doing business (increased premiums), which then gets passed on to the consumer.

It's a simple analogy. To answer your question, no, the 2 are not related.

Okay I follow your thoughts, hope I didnt come across as a call out. :)

Onward with the topic of boating. And sorry for their loss, happy for their safety.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree. However, with so many keyboard know-it-alls, it would be worth buying back just to save his reputation if it came to that. Stuff like this is what I hate the most about being in business for myself.

Not that we represent all the eyeballs on this, but I don't think Horizon is in the business of selling bum boats, nor does this situation come off that way to me.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sooo, having never burnt nor sunk a boat before...would there be anything salvageable from the engine assembly?
Rotating assembly, block and heads?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Sooo, having never burnt nor sunk a boat before...would there be anything salvageable from the engine assembly?
Rotating assembly, block and heads?

The vultures are swooping in already lol. First the trailer now the engine :)

Dirtbag

Reaction score
tha
Not that we represent all the eyeballs on this, but I don't think Horizon is in the business of selling bum boats, nor does this situation come off that way to me.
t was exactly my thoughts. Horizon sells some high quality products at a high quality price. Being in business for that long you would think Preston's customer service would be right up there with the price of the products he sells. Always good to know the good people in the business.

And for the people ripping Dave....Dave is a wealth of information just like this website. Ive gotten to know him over the last few years and i value his opinion on boating. Not everyone does. But there sure seems to be a lot of people on this website. and a shitton of manufacturers who believe in what dave has put together.....He isnt right all the time but ill give him the benefit of the doubt!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
tha

t was exactly my thoughts. Horizon sells some high quality products at a high quality price. Being in business for that long you would think Preston's customer service would be right up there with the price of the products he sells. Always good to know the good people in the business.

And for the people ripping Dave....Dave is a wealth of information just like this website. Ive gotten to know him over the last few years and i value his opinion on boating. Not everyone does. But there sure seems to be a lot of people on this website. and a shitton of manufacturers who believe in what dave has put together.....He isnt right all the time but ill give him the benefit of the doubt!

I go by supreme ruler now.. Just an FYI. :D.

LowRiver2

Reaction score

I dunno..

Billy Blake?
That’s Trifecta Mafia to you son....lol
Did you take him for a ride in the Canned Ham?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Billy Blake?
That’s Trifecta Mafia to you son....lol
Did you take him for a ride in the Canned Ham?

We are working him up slowly.. You can't just drop all that bad assness on somebody that fast. They will likely crack.

RD

Reactions: t&y

LowRiver2

Reaction score
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
We are working him up slowly.. You can't just drop all that bad assness on somebody that fast. They will likely crack.

RD

Lol
I told him to tell his mafia club that can am’s are the performance tritoons of sxs’s
He wasn’t having it
83CBB92E-640F-4E22-B2C9-79E2BAA61A08.jpeg