WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Storage facility question

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
We are building a new storage facility in havasu and wanted to get some input from you guys to see what everyone thinks. We are curious what everyone thinks about the access to their storage, how do you get into the facility and how safe do you think it is? we have a few options for getting into our gates,

1. The standard key pad option. Every unit will have its own pin number to get into the gate. Our concern with this is that once you tell someone your pin or if someone finds out your pin they will have access to the storage. Also having to change the pin each time a new renter comes in

2. Using key fobs. Every renter will get a fob with their unit and that will be their access to the storage. Our concern with this is what if someone forgets their fob and no one is onsite to let them in, that would be a miserable start to the weekend. Also when someone leaves and doesn't return the fob we will have to pay for the new fob and not sure if you can disconnect the old one so they will no longer have access?

3. I talked with a company that has developed an App that allows its users to sign up and verify them and that is how they access the gate. They can just open the app when they get there and that will open the gate. Our concern with this is older clientele or not very tech savy people that might not want to go through the hassle of downloading the app and having to use it each time. Also not too sure what the licensing cost on this is yet as this will actually be the same software that we use to rent out each unit and with all the tech involved it might get pricey.

On a last note, what about exiting the facility? should you have to enter a pin or use a fob? Or just be able to pull up to the exit gate and it opens? I am concerned with the auto opening because typically they open by sensing metal above the sensor and when i was a kid at one of our yards we would just run a shovel over the sensor and the gate would open. We will have cameras all around but still want the facility to be as safe as possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Key pad would be the easiest. Especially if someone stops paying there bill. Cancel their PIN so they cant come get their shit without paying.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Number Keypad and auto open on way out. Use a real license plate (purpose cam) to capture plates on the way out. Roll the codes on the pad every so often.

Performance Grips

Reaction score
We are building a new storage facility in havasu and wanted to get some input from you guys to see what everyone thinks. We are curious what everyone thinks about the access to their storage, how do you get into the facility and how safe do you think it is? we have a few options for getting into our gates,

1. The standard key pad option. Every unit will have its own pin number to get into the gate. Our concern with this is that once you tell someone your pin or if someone finds out your pin they will have access to the storage. Also having to change the pin each time a new renter comes in

2. Using key fobs. Every renter will get a fob with their unit and that will be their access to the storage. Our concern with this is what if someone forgets their fob and no one is onsite to let them in, that would be a miserable start to the weekend. Also when someone leaves and doesn't return the fob we will have to pay for the new fob and not sure if you can disconnect the old one so they will no longer have access?

3. I talked with a company that has developed an App that allows its users to sign up and verify them and that is how they access the gate. They can just open the app when they get there and that will open the gate. Our concern with this is older clientele or not very tech savy people that might not want to go through the hassle of downloading the app and having to use it each time. Also not too sure what the licensing cost on this is yet as this will actually be the same software that we use to rent out each unit and with all the tech involved it might get pricey.

On a last note, what about exiting the facility? should you have to enter a pin or use a fob? Or just be able to pull up to the exit gate and it opens? I am concerned with the auto opening because typically they open by sensing metal above the sensor and when i was a kid at one of our yards we would just run a shovel over the sensor and the gate would open. We will have cameras all around but still want the facility to be as safe as possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Where in Havasu are you building?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I go on line and can change my gate code anytime I want. Individual unit has a garage door remote, a key pad on the door as well, and a key for the man door.

JLG614

Reaction score
I go on line and can change my gate code anytime I want. Individual unit has a garage door remote, a key pad on the door as well, and a key for the man door.
wow that sounds like a solid set up. our facility does not have man doors, only roll up doors and we are not doing electric doors. which facility do you store at?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
wow that sounds like a solid set up. our facility does not have man doors, only roll up doors and we are not doing electric doors. which facility do you store at?
Fly-n-Hi next to Walmart - they for sale only, not rentals

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Trouble with code to exit is emergency times... something like a fire and panic causing someone to forget their code.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I like keypad in and out and roll up doors for individual units, I’m not a fan of where I’m at, warehouse type storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Anti entry spikes...I don't know why more do not do it.

We've owned storage...keep it simple. 6 digit pin in and out, lots of cameras, an employee that comes by 2x a day to check it. If you run it right you should have little to no vacancy, turnover, or late payments. It's a simple concept...keep the grounds clean, NO DUMPSTERS, people can pack in and pack out.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a card to get in mine and auto out. They have been there a long time with no problems that I know of. I also own mine.

hallett21

Reaction score
Trouble with code to exit is emergency times... something like a fire and panic causing someone to forget their code.

If it has a fire sprinkler system/alarm panel you can have it open during an alarm.

Edit:

I would do keypad in and keypad out. Most people know how to trip the exit loops. You’ll never stop someone from disconnecting the motors from the gates.

But at that point you couldn’t really do much without an on site security guard.

Last edited:

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Mine has a keypad so you have to jump out of the car but they also have the app so I strictly use that. It’s legit. When I’m close I just open it from my phone. Gates auto open when you leave. I would say the less you make people get out of their car the happier they will be.

baja-chris

Reaction score
The rv storage place I use has a setup where I text a code to a certain number to open the gate. Regardless if entering or leaving. Very convenient.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Anti entry spikes...I don't know why more do not do it.

We've owned storage...keep it simple. 6 digit pin in and out, lots of cameras, an employee that comes by 2x a day to check it. If you run it right you should have little to no vacancy, turnover, or late payments. It's a simple concept...keep the grounds clean, NO DUMPSTERS, people can pack in and pack out.
Sun and Sand has one dumpster:
Makes it nice for weekend renters who can’t leave trash at their rental home and need to get rid of a bag or two.
Talked to owner of Sun and Sand: 0 issues with trash and bill is easily absorbed by the HOA.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Sun and Sand has one dumpster:
Makes it nice for weekend renters who can’t leave trash at their rental home and need to get rid of a bag or two.
Talked to owner of Sun and Sand: 0 issues with trash and bill is easily absorbed by the HOA.

We had issues with dumping...couches, appliances etc. The company I store at here doesn't have them either for the same issue

Singleton

Reaction score
My facility is setup with key pad and fob (remote or card) for entry. Owners can change key pad code as needed online. Auto exit (drive over pad). Then your garage can be setup as needed. I have a standard garage opener, with keypad setup if I forget remote (just added that), with manual override. Full online security system as well.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I just wanna know how much it’s going to be a month for what size unit and as long as it’s secure, clean, lit, and a hose bib I’m good. It would also be nice to have a storage that when I put my boat away and pick it back up it’s not covered in a layer of dust. I pay $200/mo now for a 12x46 and access is a card key.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

Some thoughts:

1. Gate needs to require whatever both ways (in and out). I know that sounds like a pain, but because someone can tailgate into the place, you don't want them now getting out easy if they shouldn't be there.

2. What you should do is personal pin controlled by a computer. Each customer gets a unique pin number. You can either go with a keypad, or a blank card (do not put your facilitiy name on it) that they can swipe to get in. That way if they lose the card, you can reissue a new card with a new pin and kill the old pin from working. Also, because each pin is customer specific, you can also track access. Some software allows you to send the customer a text on access (sort of as a confirmation). With a change in renter, its not hard to treat it like a lost card.

3. Cameras everywhere is definately a must.

4. Not related to entry but I would request good spacing so backing into the bay is pretty straightforward for larger boats.

5. Having a dumpster on site is essential. Folks like to clean the storages out once in a while and wind up dumping some large items.

6. Considering most people use these storages for vehicles (boats or winter toys) it would be awesome if each storage had a duplex 110V outlet so folks could run battery tenders. Or hook up an electric leaf blower to clean out their storage once in a while.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Put electrical outlets in the front and rear of the unit!!

Spot

Reaction score
I say key code to enter the complex and individual owner locks on the units. I agree with RD about the outlets in the front and rear of the units.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
We had issues with dumping...couches, appliances etc. The company I store at here doesn't have them either for the same issue
Rents in my place are 285-450
Possibly higher rents keep locals dumping oversized stuff out.
Been renting there 4 years, visit 10-12 times a year : 40+ weekends, never seen a couch or anything other than trash bags, old deflated water towables.
Also helps a lot of the storage owners have renters sign waivers to ONLY store vehicles vs locals storing crap.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Rents in my place are 285-450
Possibly higher rents keep locals dumping oversized stuff out.
Been renting there 4 years, visit 10-12 times a year : 40+ weekends, never seen a couch or anything other than trash bags, old deflated water towables.
Also helps a lot of the storage owners have renters sign waivers to ONLY store vehicles vs locals storing crap.

You are right on all accounts.

JLG614

Reaction score
I just wanna know how much it’s going to be a month for what size unit and as long as it’s secure, clean, lit, and a hose bib I’m good. It would also be nice to have a storage that when I put my boat away and pick it back up it’s not covered in a layer of dust. I pay $200/mo now for a 12x46 and access is a card key.
The rents are going to be around the going rates. approximately $.50 per sqft. Lighting in all units, hose bibs located throughout. Seems like your current rent is a great deal

JLG614

Reaction score
My storage they give you a garage door opener. One opens the gate one opens the unit..
Call me Dave, I have been trying to get ahold of you for advertising. 714-616-1411 Josh

JLG614

Reaction score
Put electrical outlets in the front and rear of the unit!!
Definitely going to talk with the owner and make sure there is outlets at the front and rear

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
My storage uses the Crestron app. It’s great.