WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat storage, max temperature?

baja-chris

Reaction score
I have boats in an insulated garage in Havasu with wifi temperature monitors to keep a log of the temperature in the garage.
How hot would you think is reasonable for storage (not for working) before you would spend the money to air condition the space?
Just looking to avoid premature aging of the boats such as rubber, fabrics, etc. I don't know how hot it will get in there since this is new to me.
Plan to just keep an eye on it this summer. So far the temps have been a little below what the high temp for Havasu is that day.
So I guess it might get over 110 in there this summer. Don't know yet.

I have the house set at 85 when not there but thinking of bumping that to 90. 90 is the highest I can set it to on the wifi app.

Singleton

Reaction score
Boat sits at storage when not being used. Never worried about temp, but my mechanic has noticed Havasu boats and belts, hoses, etc seems to get worn out quicker then ca stored boats.

I keep the trailer at 90 and when I hit Palm Springs the wifi controller gets turned down to 80. Trailer is cool and waiting when we arrive 2 hours later

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that 85° or less will result in the least amount of heat damage, boat, rv or house.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Havasu gets 120 so it’s gunna be hot in there. Your boats are fine. Shit loads of boats all over Havasu are in non insulated ovens and are fine

Reactions: DWC

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Simply put… it’s never going to be lower than the night time low. Spending 100s of dollars on electricity to save on some increased maintenance is a baller move, just pick whether to pay the electric company monthly or your mechanic annually.

DWC

Reaction score
Havasu gets 120 so it’s gunna be hot in there. Your boats are fine. Shit loads of boats all over Havasu are in non insulated ovens and are fine
Great question and thread. Ours is in at EZ bake oven as Paul says. We don’t have a meter/option to cool the unit with current power source. I’ve thought about solar options to cool it but wasn’t sure how much would be gained.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Great question and thread. Ours is in at EZ bake oven as Paul says. We don’t have a meter/option to cool the unit with current power source. I’ve thought about solar options to cool it but wasn’t sure how much would be gained.

I run a master cool evap unit that is ducted and on a tstat. It’s on my detached shop in the back of my house where my whaler lives. It can keep the shop at 85 all summer (phoenix). Its swap ass weird humid cool in July/august but the boat loves it.

If I was going to try to run solar to cool a shop with AC you would need a big investment in batteries/inverters and a lot of pv. But I think you could probably run a big mastercool on fraction of the size solar system. I would need to look at my evap motor or put an amp clamp on it, but I am away boating for another 2 weeks.

DWC

Reaction score
I run a master cool evap unit that is ducted and on a tstat. It’s on my detached shop in the back of my house where my whaler lives. It can keep the shop at 85 all summer (phoenix). Its swap ass weird humid cool in July/august but the boat loves it.

If I was going to try to run solar to cool a shop with AC you would need a big investment in batteries/inverters and a lot of pv. But I think you could probably run a big mastercool on fraction of the size solar system. I would need to look at my evap motor or put an amp clamp on it, but I am away boating for another 2 weeks.
Our storage is detached and we’re only supposed to have stuff on a 60min timer. I’d like to figure out a way to not bump the facility draw which is why i was thinking small solar. Evap is probably the way. I’d have to figure out the water supply

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
Our storage is detached and we’re only supposed to have stuff on a 60min timer. I’d like to figure out a way to not bump the facility draw which is why i was thinking small solar. Evap is probably the way. I’d have to figure out the water supply
What about a exhaust fan on the roof, pull out the really hot air that just sits & bakes. I think they have solar exhaust fans. You would have to cut a hole or drill a few holes to let the air out

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Just the air movement you get from evap or a big gable end fan at least keeps it as cool as the outside air and not accumulating heat.

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
No worries, my storage has A/C. Not sure what they set it at though.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I keep a 5 gal bucket of water in the garage.
Helps to keep moisture in the air .
Also do this in the house as well
THIS ^^^ I have 6 three gallon buckets in the house - I fill them according to the time that I will be gone.... normally about 1/2 of water.

and I put in a Mini-split about two years ago (R.I.P. Carey) in my RV garage and not only has helped the garage I keep it 85'ish - the Master bedroom which is against the wall to the RV garage - stays much cooler . WIN WIN

DLC

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a patio style Temp Gauge that records the high temp.

The big ol bubble with a arrow, it be nice to hang it inside the garage or storage

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In my double wide "palace" I keep the AC set at 90, and 5x5gl buckets half full scattered inside. Definitely helps with shocking yourself! The detached boat garage is insulated and has a white foam roof with whirly-birds to vent heat. There are 4 buckets of water in there, but I have seen it at 115 in there...while working :oops:

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I keep my garage at 75F all summer. I use a 220v window AC unit, from Lowe’s. It costs about $66 a month.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I keep my garage at 75F all summer. I use a 220v window AC unit, from Lowe’s. It costs about $66 a month.

78* in ours for the boat, 74* if we are going to be hanging out in it. I figure its 80-100 a month in the summer. I'm sitting out there as I write this. 3.5 ton split unit (not a mini split)

Back years ago when I had a small ski boat at a storage unit in town I did the 5 gallon bucket thing and had 2 whirly birds on the roof.

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Just the air movement you get from evap or a big gable end fan at least keeps it as cool as the outside air and not accumulating heat.
Definitely looking into it this summer. Not sure I’d even like to see the max temps in July/August. It’s tough to even wipe down.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Definitely looking into it this summer. Not sure I’d even like to see the max temps in July/August. It’s tough to even wipe down.
Then add in a deep breath of the cleaning spray. Had to step back a few feet once last year. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: DWC

Singleton

Reaction score

I had to give up on late afternoon / evening boat cleanings four or five years ago. I was dehydrated and trying to work too fast and got heat exhaustion. Now if it is too hot and humid, I feel heat exhaustion symptoms very quickly. We now wipe down and clean the boat in the mornings before we had back to the lake or home from the weekend. One reason we now leave Havasu Monday nights vs Sunday after dinner.