WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

boat tax bill

J&k beer can

Reaction score
A few questions..
so the my lady gets a tax bill from cdtfa saying taxes is owed on old boat..
it was done coast guard documented and bought in AZ and never left there till is was sold to new owner from cali..
the boat was registered in both our names(she is cali resident) and i have been a AZ resident since 96 and still am..
looking on there website has exemption but not sure what to chose...

Any inmates deal with this and fill out info online????
actual dealing with this not hear say what to do.. thanks..

PlanB

Reaction score
Not sure if it's the same issue, but sounds similar.

We bought our Top Gun new from a dealer in California. The boat was delivered to AZ, so the sale officially took place in AZ. Boat was CG documented with a home port of Lake Havasu City, AZ. Four years after buying the boat we are contacted by the state of California saying we owe sales tax. We tell them the sale took place at our house in Arizona, and they turn around and report us to the state of Arizona. Arizona comes after us for sales tax plus penalties and interest. With the help of a tax attorney in Arizona we were able to get the state to drop the interest and penalties, but still had to scratch them a check for 20K. It was a painful thing to do, especially since I had already sold the boat, but the dealer we bought it from did not collect the correct sales tax at the time of purchase.

Not sure if this is what you are facing, but it sounds similar. I would contact an attorney if you want a precise answer to your question.

Patyacht

Reaction score
I think the bought in AZ will require you to pay AZ not CA sales take as long as documented delivery was in AZ not CA. The USCG Documentation gets you out of the Annual Registration fees but not the sales tax. AZ law says if your boat is Documented you do not have to register the boat annually.

Singleton

Reaction score
If her name is on it, you owe CA sales tax, unless you can prove you paid AZ sales tax at time of purchase from dealer.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Luxury Tax, not sales tax.

Singleton

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Luxury Tax, not sales tax.

if it is the personal property tax (aka luxury), each CA county has different rules.
I know SD county well, since I got an exception to the tax back in 2009.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
cali sales tax.. not luxury tax...
yes the boat was bought in Az private party and never left there till it was sold in june 19
they want tax from 17-18. no idea how much.. does not say..

PlanB

Reaction score
If it was an AZ private party sale you don't owe California (or AZ) any sales tax. Do you have any paperwork from the sale? Any proof where the boat was stored? Was it home ported in AZ?

California turned me over to AZ when I showed them proof I had a residence there, and the boat was home ported in AZ. I never had to show proof of AZ delivery. If you can show proof of the above, you might get them to back off.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
so i called today to find out what the deal was..
they asked me some questions..
am i a resident of cali
has it ever been in cali
where was it bought.
need to send them paperwork and it should be good to go..
says they will call if more info is needed..

thanks for info....