WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

boat tie downs on trailer

MOUZER

Reaction score
since a thread just mentioned this who doesnt tie down the back of their boat...
i myself do not tie down back of hydro or the wifes 20 ft open bow eye hook only on hydro crank strap on her boat.....be honest
DSCN2429.JPG

DWC

Reaction score
I always had them on when we stored in Needles and towed to Havasu. Not sure how much they would really help but it made me feel a little better that it it wouldn’t shift.
They don’t go on from the house to the ramp now. Plugs don’t come out either. 😉

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Always use them, but mainly on the larger boats we have now. We never did it for the 20 Eliminator but we did it for the 23 Malibu, 26 Eliminator and 30 Eliminator. Seems to help keep the bunk damage to a minimum and with the current road conditions (pot holes like the road was carpet bombed) it seems to make more sense these days to make sure the trailer and boat are a single unit. I feel it allows the trailer suspension to be more effective.

ETA: Also we also add a bow strap to the bow. Not that it bounces but more for insurance that the bow winch doesnt get stupid (or we didnt lock it absentmindedly).

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I had my boat slide back about 2’ driving it home on a new trailer that has a front eyelet bar. After that… every boat on every trailer, every time. I also do a lot of trips towing between Phoenix and Parker. Used to be 3 per month. If I lived in Havasu, I probably wouldn’t use rear tie towns.

Reactions: DWC

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
You'll change your ways when you get a nice dent in yore tailgate....

I had an MSD box catch fire heading downriver from the beach at BigRiver....grabbed the end of my rope in my teeth, clipped the other end to the bow eye and swam in to the ramp at the day beach and hauled in the boat. Got a ride back up to my beach, grabbed the truck and trailer, hauled it out and just like you...figured I was good with a bow eye strap because I was going maybe a 1/2 mile, at best. Some Fucktard was straddling the centerline on the road coming out of our park and I had to stab the brakes to avoid him....I just paid $600 to have that new $900 tailgate painted the week before, and the bow of the boat centerpunched it.

Fortunately, the reciept was still in the glovebox so I was able to order another new one without having to look up the part number again

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
My Shockwave had those retractable straps so would put them on because it was so easy. Now with the big V hull, only on long tows would I strap the boat down.

Like @DWC don't pull plug either. Never have and never will.

Reactions: DWC

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
9 times out of 10 I do not. Not sure why I don’t but if I was towing long distance I would.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
My Shockwave had those retractable straps so would put them on because it was so easy. Now with the big V hull, only on long tows would I strap the boat down.

Like @DWC don't pull plug either. Never have and never will.

Why not pull the plug? You might forget? We always remove the plug. Not necessarily on the ramp, but at least at the wipe down area or at home. No need to slosh the bilge around, and California has a big hardon about water in boats. We always feel like its also another source of ventilation when stored.

We waterski a lot though so we're always getting into the boat wet. Maybe if you just put it in the water and cruise around without getting water in, you wouldnt have water than needs to come out.

I will say that didnt work so well when we partnered on some waverunners once. We always stored boats with the plug out, the partners I guess were not in the habit of checking and they put the PWCs in without the plugs. Needless to say they sank and had to be fixed from the soaking, and with this partner we leave the plugs in for these PWCs but if its just us, we continue to pull the plugs.

MOUZER

Reaction score

I had an MSD box catch fire heading downriver from the beach at BigRiver....grabbed the end of my rope in my teeth, clipped the other end to the bow eye and swam in to the ramp at the day beach and hauled in the boat. Got a ride back up to my beach, grabbed the truck and trailer, hauled it out and just like you...figured I was good with a bow eye strap because I was going maybe a 1/2 mile, at best. Some Fucktard was straddling the centerline on the road coming out of our park and I had to stab the brakes to avoid him....I just paid $600 to have that new $900 tailgate painted the week before, and the bow of the boat centerpunched it.

Fortunately, the reciept was still in the glovebox so I was able to order another new one without having to look up the part number again

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Edit...found my story from that weekend I posted on PB...

"
eft LB about 8:45 Wed. night for the river....got caught up in traffic on the 10 before indio while they were doing construction...that lasted about an hour and a half. Got to the river about 1:30 or 2...can't remember.

Put the boat in the water Thurs. morning...noticed a "running water" sound after I tied it up at the beach. After some investigation, noticed one of my cav plates bent like a pringles chip (dunno WTF happened there) and uncovered some previously used holes in the bottom of the hull. Boat came back outta the water, spend the afternoon fixing that.

Boat back in the water on Friday morning...let the chick drive. She was making a pass and all of a sudden a couple pops and dead in the water. Paddled in and made it to our beach. The nut fell off of the alternator lug, where I have my main power wire tied in. My box o' tricks only had 1/4-20 nuts...no 1/4-28 nuts. Crap. Went to parker, got the right nut....back up and running.

Fire it up to take a quick run down to the beach by the hotel to see who was there and it takes a crap halfway there...no spark. Got towed in to the ramp by the hotel and a ride back up to BR Rv park. Got the truck and went down to the lower ramp to pick up the boat. I'm kinda pissed. Get the boat on the trailer and just used the bow strap...figured I'm only going a 1/2 mile...don't need the other 3...I was wrong.....hit the brakes coming down the hill into the RV park and the boat slid forward and put a nice crater in my tailgate. Dammit. Tied it to a tree and pulled it back right on the trailer. Proceded to get drunk that night while sitting safely in my beach chair so I couldn't **** up anything else. Woke up in the morning and diagnosed a crapped out MSD box. Went to parker and found one at Parker auto parts. got somemore goodies and $300 bucks later and back at the park. wired up the new box and fired it...cool, lets put it in the water. Ran it all afternoon and nothing broke. Chick was driving it up to ramp in the evening to pull it out and it sputtered, then quit on her approach...followed by a nice emission of electrical smoke....200 feet from the ramp. Flagged a guy down on a sea-doo to tow it in after I yelled at her to hit the deadman switch.

The big hot and ground wires on the MSD cooked the insulation off of them. I can't see any evidence of arcing against anything metal in the area, so maybe the box shorted out inside? I dunno.

Bad accident on rice road on the way home...rollover and another car on fire (I wasn't involved...apparently the guy upstairs figured I'd already paid my dues this weekend)....road blocked, only way through was off road. My truck is pretty low (from the factory)...and I picked a nice line through the brush managing only to tear off my rear valance...which happens to be a $400 part at the dealer...plus paint.

Oh yeah...almost forgot. Saturday after fixing the MSD issue, the alternator fan (behind the pulley) decided to cry uncle and come apart in 3 pieces....at least the bottom of the boat and the gas tank slowed it down before it hit my leg. Since I can't seem to assemble to assemble a 2 piece rear main seal chevy motor without oil seepage, the exposed wood from the impact in the bottom of the boat is now soaked with oil. This should be fun to fix.

on the brite side, I only went through 2 alternator belts this weekend.
grin.gif

Can't wait to do it again
"

Outlaw Boat Transport

Reaction score
Its the law to strap the back of the boat. Cop can write you for unsecured load. Also if you hit someone the boat will come right through the back of your truck. I belong to multiple boat transport pages and see lots of photo's of boats going forward through the back of cars and trucks.

MOUZER

Reaction score
Its the law to strap the back of the boat. Cop can write you for unsecured load. Also if you hit someone the boat will come right through the back of your truck. I belong to multiple boat transport pages and see lots of photo's of boats going forward through the back of cars and trucks.
talk to u before bring it on

MOUZER

Reaction score
Edit...found my story from that weekend I posted on PB...

"
eft LB about 8:45 Wed. night for the river....got caught up in traffic on the 10 before indio while they were doing construction...that lasted about an hour and a half. Got to the river about 1:30 or 2...can't remember.

Put the boat in the water Thurs. morning...noticed a "running water" sound after I tied it up at the beach. After some investigation, noticed one of my cav plates bent like a pringles chip (dunno WTF happened there) and uncovered some previously used holes in the bottom of the hull. Boat came back outta the water, spend the afternoon fixing that.

Boat back in the water on Friday morning...let the chick drive. She was making a pass and all of a sudden a couple pops and dead in the water. Paddled in and made it to our beach. The nut fell off of the alternator lug, where I have my main power wire tied in. My box o' tricks only had 1/4-20 nuts...no 1/4-28 nuts. Crap. Went to parker, got the right nut....back up and running.

Fire it up to take a quick run down to the beach by the hotel to see who was there and it takes a crap halfway there...no spark. Got towed in to the ramp by the hotel and a ride back up to BR Rv park. Got the truck and went down to the lower ramp to pick up the boat. I'm kinda pissed. Get the boat on the trailer and just used the bow strap...figured I'm only going a 1/2 mile...don't need the other 3...I was wrong.....hit the brakes coming down the hill into the RV park and the boat slid forward and put a nice crater in my tailgate. Dammit. Tied it to a tree and pulled it back right on the trailer. Proceded to get drunk that night while sitting safely in my beach chair so I couldn't **** up anything else. Woke up in the morning and diagnosed a crapped out MSD box. Went to parker and found one at Parker auto parts. got somemore goodies and $300 bucks later and back at the park. wired up the new box and fired it...cool, lets put it in the water. Ran it all afternoon and nothing broke. Chick was driving it up to ramp in the evening to pull it out and it sputtered, then quit on her approach...followed by a nice emission of electrical smoke....200 feet from the ramp. Flagged a guy down on a sea-doo to tow it in after I yelled at her to hit the deadman switch.

The big hot and ground wires on the MSD cooked the insulation off of them. I can't see any evidence of arcing against anything metal in the area, so maybe the box shorted out inside? I dunno.

Bad accident on rice road on the way home...rollover and another car on fire (I wasn't involved...apparently the guy upstairs figured I'd already paid my dues this weekend)....road blocked, only way through was off road. My truck is pretty low (from the factory)...and I picked a nice line through the brush managing only to tear off my rear valance...which happens to be a $400 part at the dealer...plus paint.

Oh yeah...almost forgot. Saturday after fixing the MSD issue, the alternator fan (behind the pulley) decided to cry uncle and come apart in 3 pieces....at least the bottom of the boat and the gas tank slowed it down before it hit my leg. Since I can't seem to assemble to assemble a 2 piece rear main seal chevy motor without oil seepage, the exposed wood from the impact in the bottom of the boat is now soaked with oil. This should be fun to fix.

on the brite side, I only went through 2 alternator belts this weekend.
grin.gif

Can't wait to do it again
"
didnt i sell u a boat or 2

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
didnt i sell u a boat or 2
3 lol, but I traded you back the purple nurple for the white tunnel runner thing, and when that broke and threw me out I bought that canadian pile of shit liberty deal with the glassed in angled gauge bezels and the poncho motor that was held in by gravity that had half the river bottom under the soft floor after I cut it open....lol.

I don't regret a single purchase. It was great doing business with you Mike. It's a good thing you're across the country now or the wife would have killed me for having "more of those fucking boats from that asshole in Corona" in the yard

MOUZER

Reaction score
3 lol, but I traded you back the purple nurple for the white tunnel runner thing, and when that broke and threw me out I bought that canadian pile of shit liberty deal with the glassed in angled gauge bezels and the poncho motor that was held in by gravity that had half the river bottom under the soft floor after I cut it open....lol.

I don't regret a single purchase. It was great doing business with you Mike. It's a good thing you're across the country now or the wife would have killed me for having "more of those fucking boats from that asshole in Corona" in the yard
I LOVE THIS GUY

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I don’t tie mine down (37 years pulling a 21 eliminator).

My boat is secured through the bow eyelet. California law says you need to secure your load. It doesn’t tell you how to do it.
I have yet to see a trailer or boat, that’s designed to keep a boat on its trailer, using straps. They are designed to launch and retrieve a boat. There have been hundreds of accident pictures on Riverdavesplace/internet showing boats with straps, where the tie down straps broke, and the boat ends up on the highway, in the ditch, or on the back of the tow vehicle.

Straps don’t last much more than a year, before they start to dry out, and their ratings drop quickly.

The average tie down strap and hardware, can hold around 500lbs max in new condition. That would mean the boat would need at least 12 straps….6 straps to hold it down If they were 1000lbs rated. Then look at what the strap attaches too. Most, if not all the eyelets on the trailer are 3/16 to 1/4 inch wire….designed to hold a boat cover in place while towing. Look at the Stern of boat, and figure out if those two Ubolts on the stern have enough stopping power, before they pull through the transom. Most will have just a nut, and a fender washer on the inside. If I had to choose between boat, trailer, or strap, I’d choose strap failure every time.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Have always used them, but my 255 had the eyes above the swim step and is fairly deep V and the previous owner never strapped. So I tried it that way locally and it was fine. But one trip to havasu I crossed one of the bridges on the 40 and saw in the mirror the boat bounce a good 6” off the trailer. Never again.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Have always used them, but my 255 had the eyes above the swim step and is fairly deep V and the previous owner never strapped. So I tried it that way locally and it was fine. But one trip to havasu I crossed one of the bridges on the 40 and saw in the mirror the boat bounce a good 6” off the trailer. Never again.
I didn’t have straps but towing from needles to Mead, I hit that RXR at about 80MPH and looked out my side mirror in time to see my boat about 1’ above the trailer… I just about shat myself.

I love strapons.

RichL

Reaction score
Always have, always will.
'Nuff said.

sirbob

Reaction score
Rear straps…

Around town never.

Long haul - yes

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Always rear straps. An extra on the front eye holding the bow down as well, and on longer trips I would put one on the outdrive to help hold it up for extra support.

It was a 5 hour tow each way from SD to Havasu or Parker. I'd grease bearing buddies and check tire pressures too! Having a blowout in the hot ass desert is not a good experience.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Always have at least a bow eye strap (in addition to the floater bar) and the transom strapped down if I'm on pavement. The only time it's not strapped is between our spot and the launch ramp in the park.

Loo Dog

Reaction score
Every time to and from launch, plugs out straps on, plugs in straps off. Part of the routine.
X2. I don’t understand the no straps or leaving the plug in thing. It’s not a difficult or time consuming thing to do. While I understand others thoughts on towing distance, strap strength, etc I fail to see how it “hurts” anything by putting on straps or draining your bilge.

I have, however, launched once with the outdrive support thingys still on. Thought I had a serious trim problem for a second. Dumbass moment.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
X2. I don’t understand the no straps or leaving the plug in thing. It’s not a difficult or time consuming thing to do. While I understand others thoughts on towing distance, strap strength, etc I fail to see how it “hurts” anything by putting on straps or draining your bilge.

I have, however, launched once with the outdrive support thingys still on. Thought I had a serious trim problem for a second. Dumbass moment.
Takes ten seconds, never any water in bilge either. I also use both wenches on the bow up and down the ramp as well. To me it’s no different than being insurance poor but knowing if needed it’s there.

Singleton

Reaction score
The one time I did not pull plugs I got stopped. It was also the time my steering pump failed and caught fire and I had fluid plus fire extinguisher crap all over engine compartment.

Havasu PD made me pull plugs and shit went everywhere (since I had no collection device). Told cops I had a 5g bucket at house to collect whatever comes out, but they mandated I pull plugs. It dumped oil everywhere as I drove home - no ticket issued since I would of taken them to court on that :)

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I use them religiously. But I had heard it is required by law in California.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I put straps on from beachcombers to storage (south side of town) but from beachcombers to marina, no straps. Plug never comes out either

Kenboat

Reaction score
Always tie down front and rear, my current trailer has bult in rear tie downs that are super easy. Michigan roads are rough and dont want the boat bouncing around wearing out the glass and bunks.

Maestro

Reaction score
Camped at cattail cove right next to the entrance lane where the speed bump is located. I watch every boat ranging from 18' to 28' bounce off the trailer as they cruised over the speed bump. Any speed over crawling the speed bump bounced the boat off the bunks. We started a drinking game. We would bet whether or not the boat bounced off the trailer. You had to chug if you lost. The group got a little hammered.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
The one time I did not pull plugs I got stopped. It was also the time my steering pump failed and caught fire and I had fluid plus fire extinguisher crap all over engine compartment.

Havasu PD made me pull plugs and shit went everywhere (since I had no collection device). Told cops I had a 5g bucket at house to collect whatever comes out, but they mandated I pull plugs. It dumped oil everywhere as I drove home - no ticket issued since I would of taken them to court on that :)

Did that at the fruit and nutcheck. Had 12 quarts of oil in the bilge. Told the dumb broad and she still made me pull it. Yeah, she wasn't to happy.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
No rear straps to/fro the ramp in Havasu. Front already has two straps triangulated and a ladder to help a little bit if it wants to slide forward. Any travel beyond city limits the rear gets strapped, not that they'd do much in an accident.
Have only removed the 3 plugs a couple times when the "officials" were actively citing that ordinance, never a drop from them. It's rare there is any water in my bilge, except maybe a 1/2 gal of melted cooler ice in the right side sponson. Pumps seem to work excellently. However, the damn outdrive will drain(drip,drip,drip)for more than a day. I keep a 18"x24" plastic storage bin under it in my garage that'll collect water 2-3 inches deep.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Bad parking job.png

It only takes a moment of inattention, and you'll wish you had strapped the transom down.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
If you love your boat ( everyone on this site ) follow ANY BOAT down the road without straps - Scapegoat has it right - you won’t believe how much the boat “airs” over every bump/buckle/bridge, etc. The bunks will eventually crack/break the hull, and you won’t see or know it because it’s right under where the bunks are when stationary. Wait till it breaks, then compare to strap prices. Also, if you talk to ANY builders, they’ll tell you that’s the best way to put a hook in the bottom - carry on

bocco

Reaction score
The straps aren't to keep the boat on the trailer. They are to keep the trailer under the boat.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Just installed them on my boat trailer. I know for fact my boat moves while on the trailer not much but it does. To me the big concern is in an emergency it is my responsibility to have my load secured. So... If things go sideways and my boat and trailer switch spots I know I did everything I could to help prevent them from being separated.
IMG_20220508_162508913_HDR.jpg